Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The best part is the author comments, which are always some variation of:

quote:

There's no use denying it. A gamer version of Wally would monitor Dilbert with security cameras. This is how it would go.

quote:

If Dilbert were a gamer, the cast of Dilbert would revere him as a conquering hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So is this comic just lampooning Dilbert and early 2k gaming webcomic man children, or is there something more to it?

Edit: and then I got to this page.

Donkringel fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 20, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

I made it to the second one before I couldn't take any more, and even that was probably one too many considering how bad the first one was.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

it's hilarious anti-humour

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I’m an old fart who prefers jokes that are funny.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you were a gamer you would understand

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

They're trying for the "so awful it's good" angle but I don't think they quite succeeded

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The one thing that elevates it is that it's still better than Actual Dilbert.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It isn't "so awful it's good" it's just good. The idea of Dilbert explicitly as a self insert who does everybody's job and everybody loves him is hilarious. It's a great mockery of Scott Adams

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The first few strips aren't great but once the story gets going it's much better.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Yeah, it's great. The art is also amazing. Don't want to spoil it, but there is a breathtaking depiction of Dilbert using sick parkour skills.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It’s by the same guys that do Powerup comics. It’s earnest, yet a mockery. Character driven, in an ironic, sarcastic celebration of the characters.

In the same vein of pokey, Tails gets trolled and Mr. Boops, Gamer Dilbert deconstructs popular characters, and the comic medium at large. Today in my TED Talk, we will explore.... * continues to ramble on for what seems like an eternity*

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Gamer Dilbert is the hero we deserve.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Irony was a lot better when it was about the dark sense of humour of an uncaring universe, instead of extremely online people doing [thing] while claiming they don’t endorse [thing].

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DoctorTristan posted:

Irony was a lot better when it was about the dark sense of humour of an uncaring universe, instead of extremely online people doing [thing] while claiming they don’t endorse [thing].

Sounds like someone’s upset that they aren’t lucky enough to be married to Betty Boop.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Powerup Comics (and, by extension, Gamer Dilbert) is simply an idiosyncratic parody.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Johnny Aztec posted:

Tails gets trolled

Almost a decade ago, Lazerbot and I were friends on facebook.

Man, time flies

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TGT was... one hell of a trip when the whole arc with Amy’s backstory happened.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

DoctorTristan posted:

Extremely online people make me feel the universe is dark and uncaring. One way to process that is to be very neurotic about how I enjoy myself on the internet

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

loving hell, people, I could barely justify to myself reading Gamer Dilbert, don't make me want to read Tails Gets Trolled too

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

paradoxGentleman posted:

loving hell, people, I could barely justify to myself reading Gamer Dilbert, don't make me want to read Tails Gets Trolled too

Don't. It's a Trainwreck.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

There Bias Two posted:

Don't. It's a Trainwreck.

Stop threatening me with a good time

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

No, but for real, some of the later chapters of TGT get loving dark. It goes from stoner-level humor to... very disturbing subject matter that’s played completely dead serious.

Plus an overly long fight across multiple chapters between two minor villains.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:stare:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The Goblin's Republic of Goblins would be a good name but also an inveterate lie.

In less jokey news, Durkon has now been brought up to speed with Redcloak's issues. We just have to see how he'll play it now.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
This conversation is rather timely, considering recent statements made by WOTC about future changes to races in D&D.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Goblin McGoblinface

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Since we just had a discussion on the disconnect between Redcloak and his purple god, it makes me think: even if Redcloak is being genuine here and considers Gobbotopia as much expansion as his people need (and I suspect he's bluffing a little here), does TDO agree? He's a war god, who in life was betrayed at peace talks. Seems like he wouldn't be content to one little corner of the world.

Actually, I now think the real problem that will eventually arise is that Thor's plan goes around TDO, using Redcloak's connection to his god to get at the purple juice, rather than going to TDO directly. Redcloak has dithered before between his mortal obligations to his people (staying and keeping Gobbotopia as safe as possible) and his duties to his god (leaving with the lich to pursue the portal plan), and I think it's interesting that in this negotiation, he's mostly arguing for mortal measures, not anything related to TDO. We might get a scenario where he is willing to consider the plan, until he finds out that he has to deliberately subvert his god to do it, and that may be his breaking point.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
"Grog" for short.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I mean at this point it's up to Durkon, who looks variably sympathetic at different points. Here's hoping he doesn't blow this.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Pope Guilty posted:

I mean at this point it's up to Durkon, who looks variably sympathetic at different points. Here's hoping he doesn't blow this.

It's not Durkon's place to say or decide anything about any earthly kingdoms.
He is there on a higher order.

Gobbotopia shouldn't get any special protections. No other kingdom or provenience has protection agaisnt attack or invasion.
They can be equal, the same as everyone else.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Bobulus posted:

Since we just had a discussion on the disconnect between Redcloak and his purple god, it makes me think: even if Redcloak is being genuine here and considers Gobbotopia as much expansion as his people need (and I suspect he's bluffing a little here), does TDO agree? He's a war god, who in life was betrayed at peace talks. Seems like he wouldn't be content to one little corner of the world.

Even if TDO doesn't think Gobbotopia is enough, the point still stands: so far goblinoids have been subjected to systemic racism. If equality is established, I would expect that they would instead be treated like any other nation, i.e. there'll still probably be wars between them and other countries, but because of territorial gain, not because of racism.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
drat, some good Marxist analysis by Redcloak!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Gobbotopia shouldn't get any special protections. No other kingdom or provenience has protection agaisnt attack or invasion.

Being run by a Non-monster race is a protection against attack or invasion.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Remember the Thor plan is to spot weld rifts as they reoccur, indefinitely. Thor cannot pull one over on TDO and steal purple power for Kraagor's Gate without leaving the other Gates and all future rifts as gaping problems.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

maltesh posted:

Being run by a Non-monster race is a protection against attack or invasion.

For who, exactly? We've seen that not work well for multiple nations in this comic.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Johnny Aztec posted:

The problem is that some people are more equal than others, and that's unacceptable to Redcloak too. It doesn't matter if the are equal on paper if they are not equal in practice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ugly John posted:

For who, exactly? We've seen that not work well for multiple nations in this comic.

Attacking another non-monster nation is treated as an act of war. Attacking a monster nation is treated as earning a reward and your choice of prince and/or princess to marry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Attacking another non-monster nation is treated as an act of war. Attacking a monster nation is treated as earning a reward and your choice of prince and/or princess to marry.

By this metric the Azure City and Gobotopia are at war and Gobotopia should have no special protection against the government in exile of Azure City and their efforts to gather allies, build an army and reconquer Azure City.