Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Space Flower posted:

otoh a lot of their shows are a jumble of creative energies when it comes to episode direction and storyboarding, like even if x show has yoshinari's larger vision it'll still have an ep that's basically imaishi's, stuff like that.

Yeah, like how Dragon Maid wasn't yamada's, but people saw an ep with plenty of shots where the camera was set on the floor and went "there she is"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
naoko yamada's eyes will never cease being set on thighs

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Paracelsus posted:

You forgot the music-box theme the watch plays being brought out every 5 seconds or so.
Music boxes always evoke such powerful imagery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eBA7fWS8Yw

Endorph posted:

it's less smt-esque, more fallout-esque. and its less recon, more search and rescue. otherwise yes
Still sounds like something I'd be into! Once I clock out I'm checking that out.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
storytelling through the medium of birds on wires

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

coppelion's anime is basically just a 13 episode long fallout vegas side quest chain. i laughed my rear end off at how at the end, after an incredibly convoluted series of misadventures with layered plots, betrayals, and multiple noble sacrifices, a character goes 'it's hard to believe we've only known each other for a day.'

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Motto posted:

Yeah, like how Dragon Maid wasn't yamada's, but people saw an ep with plenty of shots where the camera was set on the floor and went "there she is"

i'd be willing to believe this would happen to an unrelated ep but if you mean episode 8 that was yamada's episode, and it had a lot of feet-charged moments of emotional connection

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
oh that was the point you were going for

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Space Flower posted:

as a show on its own inou battle is just ok but few things are more interesting to me than seeing how a studio's creative identity shapes an random LN adaptation. klk is not one of those things.
Literally the only thing I remember people talking about the show as being kind of notable/interesting is that one rant that girl does against the MC, though apparently they didn't actually follow it up with anything further.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, Inou Battle was like completely unremarkable in almost every sense.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Is Kiznaiver good, I keep remembering it exists every now and then

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Zeether posted:

Not especially

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Zeether posted:

Nah. It's corny and formless and has lil idea what to do w its own premise. Didn't like its cast either.

Thankfully, the good version of what Kiznaiver was trying to accomplish has since been made, it's called Sarazanmai.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Nate RFB posted:

Literally the only thing I remember people talking about the show as being kind of notable/interesting is that one rant that girl does against the MC, though apparently they didn't actually follow it up with anything further.

yeah the resolution of that is delayed in a "we'll wrap this up in a later LN volume" kind of fashion. the performance owns for sure but there are a few characters/relationships that develop within the show and this wasn't one of them. lol

most of the show is just exaggerated animation that leans into the cast screwing around

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh boy I wonder what Trigger's next show is going to be after they debuted with a super stylish show from one of the most distinctive directors in the industry

Apparently some people in Trigger split off and created a new studio that exclusively makes Arknights commercials, so that's cool.

Also I looked it up and Bee Train hasn't made anything in almost 10 years. Are they dead?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Space Flower posted:

yeah the resolution of that is delayed in a "we'll wrap this up in a later LN volume" kind of fashion. the performance owns for sure but there are a few characters/relationships that develop within the show and this wasn't one of them. lol

most of the show is just exaggerated animation that leans into the cast screwing around

Would have been nice to see more development of the healer senpai who is genre-aware of her romantic prospects (specifically the lack thereof) and is actively trying to fight back, but that's introduced very late in the show.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Clarste posted:

Apparently some people in Trigger split off and created a new studio that exclusively makes Arknights commercials, so that's cool.
That explains why that one I see every single time I use youtube on my phone looks so good.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Clarste posted:

Also I looked it up and Bee Train hasn't made anything in almost 10 years. Are they dead?

hyouge mono was their last anime, yeah. they were basically a 1 director studio and the director retired

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cant believe dav killed them

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Zeether posted:

no just watch kill la kill the only good trigger anime ever

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

hyouge mono was their last anime, yeah. they were basically a 1 director studio and the director retired

Hell of a show to go out on

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zeether posted:

it has pretty good character designs and animation and a great opening, and episode 7 is pretty good. everything else kind of sucks. the writing is very flat, it takes half the show before it settles on any real direction, the character dynamics are extremely one-note and don't really open up or evolve in any ways that work (there's like a solid chunk of the group who barely really interact with each other, honoka gets maybe one memorable scene with nico in the entire show, the ways they decide to try changing them up is by creating a bunch of love triangles between people who barely even spoke to each other beforehand, i dunno what the gently caress they were even going for at all with purple guy cause his entire personality shifts like three separate times to zero comment from anyone else), and the back half just kind of sucks in general and everything interesting about episode 7 is completely ignored which kind of ruins everything about honoka unless you really really want her to hook up with a blue guy who has like two memorable moments

it's maybe like actively my least favorite trigger show

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 29, 2020

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Clarste posted:

yeah that was interesting,, kengo saito was in the animator salaries discussions on twitter last month and they seemed pretty proud of their new place

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

kiznaiver sucks

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Clarste posted:

I think they make PVs for all the Yostars gachas, Azur Lane has been getting animated PVs too from what I heard.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

LWA is the best thing Trigger has produced.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I love Little Witch Academia and would like more of it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dangerous Person posted:

might I suggest harry potter

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Gridman owns, LWA and Brand New Animal range from decent to great, and Promare is fun and stylish. These are the extent of my Trigger thoughts.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

homeless snail posted:

might I suggest harry potter

No

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Just got the part with Kurt Cobain's ghost and it's extremely good thank you

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Me irl

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dangerous Person posted:

Lapis Relights this season has pretty much the same magical school premise.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

time paradox ghostwriter sure is a weird rear end manga about plagiarism

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Dangerous Person posted:

I wish I could buy the drat series on Blu-ray here, the imports have subs but lol Japanese anime BD prices

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Did BNA finally fully release? How is it?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

its great. very stylish, powerful message. stakes arent as high as other trigger shows but it still gets pretty real towards the end

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It's fun and colourful with great character design, excellent music, and a small number of very good action scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's better than KLK but still has the dreaded unsatisfying trigger ending