Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bloody ghost titty posted:

Anybody have a good recipe for gluten free pasta dough, and/or brand recommendations? I was looking for the Brooks Headley stuff but no dice as yet. GF pasta salad for a friends birthday, since I know egg and Xanthem gum can bind the flour in a fashion functionally similar to gluten.

May I ask why you don’t just buy GF pasta? There’s some good stuff out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

May I ask why you don’t just buy GF pasta? There’s some good stuff out there.

Because I am a stubborn son of a bitch who will do this to say that I can. The only thing I’m having trouble with is locating a consensus on recipe and a reliable GF flour.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bloody ghost titty posted:

Because I am a stubborn son of a bitch who will do this to say that I can. The only thing I’m having trouble with is locating a consensus on recipe and a reliable GF flour.

Fair enough. Good luck! You should buy a box of ready made as a back up....

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Probably not what you want to hear but I recommend making your own flour blends and then seeing which one makes the best pasta, as some of these are really geared to specific purposes. Then your pasta making (say, egg-based noodles) can just be a pasta recipe and not some recipe-specific blend. This also means that when a commercial blend inevitably makes a change, all of your recipes won’t suddenly start acting differently.

Ideas in food turned me on to adding skim milk powder as a source for protein and it works well - although now I have a kitchen full of weird protein powders to play with so it might not be as necessary as it once was (also problematic for vegans and allergics).

Most of these blends are some combination of rice flours, exotic flours (e.g. amaranth, sorghum, buckwheat), sometimes milk powders, and binding gums in the form of xanthan or guar.

I haven’t done a pasta in a long time, but I’d do percentages of brown rice flour, sticky rice flour, sorghum flour, maybe some milk powder or pea protein, plus a good helping of xanthan. Then once you have a good mix, try just making pasta with it and see how it responds.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
I don't know about fresh pasta, but we've used Banza at work, and it's pretty good (for what it is). It definitely tastes like chickpeas, which I don't mind, but your mileage may vary.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So my sister has been vegan for a little while now and while she's been pretty good at cooking vegan food that's usually pretty good, I do think she could use more recipes, was thinking a good Indian cookbook would be just the thing, anyone got some good recommendations in that area?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yet another opportunity for recommending Dino’s book.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Dino's cookbook is Indian-ish but it's not 100% Indian or anything like that. There are very few Indian vegan cookbooks that I know about that are better than the various websites. There's this one, which is fine. There's this one, which is also fine. I've never read this one and some of the reviews seem worrying. This one has great reviews but I've also never read it. This one is fine. This one is fine. But all of these pale in comparison to the good websites (most of which are in the OP of this thread). Obviously websites don't work as a gift so maybe you can grab one of those books instead. But a vegan Indian cookbook is kind of wasted shelf space, if you ask me, since the websites almost universally have better recipes, and anyways they're much more comprehensive.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I feel like a crazy person right now. I tried again to make ricotta gnocchi and again it seemed to require like twice/thrice the listed amount of flour to get something that can be rolled out. I tried this time to keep it closer to the ration, but then it stuck to my hands and wouldn't really form a rollable dough, then with a little more flour in the dough I essentially had to coat the log in flour as I was rolling it to get something that held it's shape and didn't stick to the board. Does anyone have any tips or magic tricks to get them to work better?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Did you press the water out of the ricotta?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

prayer group posted:

Did you press the water out of the ricotta?

. . . that's a great point and I didn't, the recipes I was working off of didn't but I should have thought of that.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Pffft what kind of bougie rear end in a top hat has a toaster oven even why I never.

How is having an appliance that can only make toast more bougie than a toaster oven

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Tell me thread is there such a thing as a good coconut rum

I cannot, but if you like them you can always pour vodka into sunscreen if you run out

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pile of brown posted:

I cannot, but if you like them you can always pour vodka into sunscreen if you run out

what

oh haha. it took me a second reading to parse this

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

pile of brown posted:

ngl that was a pretty accurate description

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I am furious because this thread made me want pineapple rum and there just wasn't any at the liquor store

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

I am furious because this thread made me want pineapple rum and there just wasn't any at the liquor store

Surely there are at least 4-5 liqour stores around?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Looking to get some first hand reviews of maple syrup from fellow goons.

Since I cannot find decent maple bacon anymore, I have been trying to make it on my own. I just now learned that the grading system is opposite of what I had thought it to be, with grade A as the least flavor and C (now "Grade A Very Dark Color, Strong Taste Maple Syrup") being the strongest.

So I have now been trying to track down what is the current grade I want for the bacon making:
"Grade A Very Dark Color, Strong Taste Maple Syrup"

Reviews and pricing is all over the place, and I don't want to buy a half gallon of the stuff and be disappointed.

Any NE US folks have some input and recommendations?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

VelociBacon posted:

Surely there are at least 4-5 liqour stores around?

Yeah, but I'm on foot right now so kinda stuck with the closest

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Hasselblad posted:

Looking to get some first hand reviews of maple syrup from fellow goons.

Any NE US folks have some input and recommendations?

sugaring season is based on a lot of variables. when the conditions are right, a lot of sap is produced. the recipe is 100 parts sap to 1 part syrup iirc. the results vary based on sugar content. i personally buy darker, browner syrup

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man it's super cool to see FYAD being alive. Thanks Jeffrey you doorknob. Also super cool to see Lowtax still posting, and apparently being the one bringing back fyad. Super cool, nice. Nice. That bodes well.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Manuel Calavera posted:

Man it's super cool to see FYAD being alive. Thanks Jeffrey you doorknob. Also super cool to see Lowtax still posting, and apparently being the one bringing back fyad. Super cool, nice. Nice. That bodes well.

FYAD sucks rear end and I'm pretty sure Lowtax is just doing a "gently caress you if I'm leaving I'm gonna do what I want!" temper tantrum. Here's the latest update:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Many of you have seen lowtax posting. This is still his website and he can post. Mind the dust.

It will soon, instead, be my website. This has not changed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yep.

Lowtax still owns the site and has the keys to the backend at this point.

Nothing much we can do abut it, and let me tell you seeing that back wasn't how I wanted to start my week.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm just worried that. From word tell elsewhere, Jeff has a lot of fyad posting buddies. That's the part that worries me.
Also wondering if he'll Kramer in here like Lowtax did a few months ago when I was bitching about him. It was nice to politely tell Rich to gently caress off, before the new Fun stories leading to the current situation.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
If it helps, I just made and consumed the world's most perfect egg salad sandwich. Medium hard boiled eggs (a bit jelly in the middle, yum) mustard, mayo, minced green pepper from my garden, a heavy pinch of dried onion, pinch of sea salt. On toast. It was delightful.

Last night I made egg roast curry. Eggs are amazing.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Egg salad is weird. And wrong. Same thing with ham salad. :colbert:

I made butter chicken & rice the other night. And gochujang chicken & noodles. I do that cook ahead thing because I'm lazy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I really like eggs but I’ve been really trying to eat them much less after I learned what happened to make chicks in the egg industry. :smith:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

how does one roast an egg

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Manuel Calavera posted:

Egg salad is weird. And wrong. Same thing with ham salad. :colbert:

This is a wrong opinion. Every kind of egg salad is amazing. Ham salad: also delicious, though sometimes prone to spamminess.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hard boiled eggs just, weird me out. Which by extension precludes egg salad.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

therattle posted:

I really like eggs but I’ve been really trying to eat them much less after I learned what happened to make chicks in the egg industry. :smith:

Farmer's market eggs are usually the same price as the bougie grocery store brand and you can usually go visit them to see their digs if you like, Portlandia style

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

I apparently loved them as a kid and now I want that poo poo away from me, even in ramen, which is sad.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Farmer's market eggs are usually the same price as the bougie grocery store brand and you can usually go visit them to see their digs if you like, Portlandia style

not much use for male chicks on a farm all the time either though chances are good they aren't going to be boiled or ground to death

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

mediaphage posted:

not much use for male chicks on a farm all the time either though chances are good they aren't going to be boiled or ground to death

Yeah coq Au vin is a much better value capture than chicken nuggets.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I get the organic free range eggs from Costco, they have a fairly good reputation. One day I will have my own chickens. Straight run too, then any roos have a delightful 6-8 months before their one bad day, and the girls can keep me in eggs, chicken antics, and fertilizer.

Honestly, if I had a choice in it, I'd want to be chucked unknowingly into a gigantic grinder and turned into compost rather then suffer two or three years in a factory farm. Good dodge, really.

HOW TO MAKE EGG ROAST:

Hard boil eggs, cool and peel. How many? I dunno, how many do you want to eat? I used 8 for this recipe because it was the two of us and I wanted leftovers for lunch.
Sautee one large onion an a handful of scallions (like 2-3) in coconut oil or ghee. When onions brown, add Egg Masala powder ( salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and black pepper), curry leaf. Fry for a minute, then add chopped tomato. Cook until tomato is done. Adjust consistancy by adding a tablespoon of water at a time until you get a nice thick paste. Turn heat to very low/keep warm.
Make several shallow slices into the whites of the hard boiled eggs, set in paste and let sit, rotating occasionally, until they have taken on a nice color (like 10 minutes). Serve with rice or roti (also very nice with cauliflower rice).

Curry leaf is optional, but highly recommended. Curry leaf is not curry powder.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 28, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hauki posted:

how does one roast an egg
Although it is almost unknown today, for millennia the rere (sometimes "rear") egg was a commonplace. It is simply a raw egg, as fresh as is practical (as in taken directly from under a broody hen), placed ~10 cm from a fire and warmed until heated through but unset. It is then either cracked into a bowl and eaten, or dunked in water to cool the shell and then a hole poked in either end and the contents sucked out.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

Yeah. I didn’t want to go into detail but it was the live chick grinder that did it for me. Think about that whole chain. There are people whose job it was to design and make those machines, and then people who have to operate them.

And yes, being killed at birth is probably better than however long in a factory farm (against which I am strongly opposed) but the male chicks are killed regardless of how well the laying hens are treated.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Just make salad with century eggs then.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SubG posted:

Although it is almost unknown today, for millennia the rere (sometimes "rear") egg was a commonplace. It is simply a raw egg, as fresh as is practical (as in taken directly from under a broody hen), placed ~10 cm from a fire and warmed until heated through but unset. It is then either cracked into a bowl and eaten, or dunked in water to cool the shell and then a hole poked in either end and the contents sucked out.

Sounds kinda like onsen tamago in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Stringent posted:

Sounds kinda like onsen tamago in Japan.
Yeah, although onsen tamago is always cooked until the yolk is firm (or at least that's the version I'm familiar with, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were regional variations). A rere egg is literally a raw egg that's been warmed. Possibly this was originally done to replicate a raw egg still warm from being freshly laid, although this is one of those folk recipes whose existence is extremely well attested and which appears to have once been nearly ubiquitous (at least everywhere they had chickens) but for which written documentation is scarce.

There's a recipe and discussion of rere eggs in a paper from the proceedings of one of the annual Oxford Symposiums on Food and Cookery, and from the same symposium there's a paper on German sour eggs, which is a dish for which most of the contemporary written documentation appears to be this-generation amateur cooks on the internet trying to replicate a dish made by their grandmothers when they (the amateur cooks) were children in Germany. The dish appears in virtually no cookbooks (and those that do mention it do so mostly to dismiss it) and the grandmothers invariably have no recipe.

This sort of informal culinary tradition--as distinct from the "important" poo poo that gets written down, discussed at length, and extensively documented--is super loving fascinating.