Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
So that Theoretical Zoo Priest...

### DK Zoo
# Class: Priest
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 1x (1) Reliquary of Souls
# 2x (1) Renew
# 1x (1) Rocket Augmerchant
# 2x (2) EVIL Conscripter
# 2x (2) Loot Hoarder
# 2x (2) Serpent Egg
# 2x (3) Apotheosis
# 1x (3) Dragonmaw Overseer
# 1x (3) Mindflayer Kaahrj
# 1x (3) Teron Gorefiend
# 2x (3) Wretched Reclaimer
# 1x (4) Grave Rune
# 1x (4) High Priest Amet
# 2x (4) Holy Nova
# 2x (4) Psychopomp
# 1x (5) Al'ar
# 2x (5) Convincing Infiltrator
# 1x (5) Psyche Split
# 2x (6) Khartut Defender
# 1x (10) Deathwing
#
AAECAa0GCsIGqaUD2awDha0DlroD1LoD6boDzr4D374D674DCvsByQaClAONlwOhoQOvpQO2pQO9pgOTugOvugMA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

I've been running this quite a bit lately. As has been said before it is indeed card draw that murders this deck from being A Thing. If you can combo the Loot Hoarder or EVIL Conscripter early you're able to refill after the board wipe, but if you don't you're just dead in the water.

That being said, from what we've seen so far in the expansion there are a ton of really nice tools being added for this... covering everything but card draw. Both legendaries, Gift of Luminance, and possibly Devout Pupil should all make the cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Paladin still needs a card draw option in this set otherwise all of this goodness is wasted.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Fenarisk posted:

Paladin still needs a card draw option in this set otherwise all of this goodness is wasted.

Aurla has deck thinning, does that count?
I mean we know Blizzard wants draw to be a weakness for certain classes, and we’ve seen that Draw isn’t the end all be all in HS. Hunter’s card draw isn’t honestly a whole lot better then Paladins at the moment, but hunter can just curve out like a mother fucker.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 28, 2020

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Aurla has deck thinning, does that count?
I mean we know Blizzard wants draw to be a weakness for certain classes, and we’ve seen that Draw isn’t the end all be all in HS. Hunter’s card draw isn’t honestly a whole lot better then Paladins at the moment, but hunter can just curve out like a mother fucker.

Hunter has a lot more draw with the +2/+2 draw beast card, cast secret from your deck beast,, draw a rush minion beast, tracking, etc.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
https://media.hearthpwn.com/avatars/442/41/637315573144513092.png

Ugh.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
because Combo Druid needs even more tools

e: between Kun, Twig and this you can spend 40 mana in a single turn, and that's without counting the discounts from Aviana and Ysiel

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ohhhhh

That seems super powerful. Better than Kun? You can easily have a 0 cost spell to trigger this.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The power level this expansion seems off the charts, yet not broken (for the most part). And they're not shying away from combo pieces. Nothing's even felt like pack filler yet in the ~65 cards they've revealed.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

gandlethorpe posted:

The power level this expansion seems off the charts, yet not broken (for the most part). And they're not shying away from combo pieces. Nothing's even felt like pack filler yet in the ~65 cards they've revealed.

That's a good point. If they want to keep the game fresh, they'll have to do some changes over time. This is a good start - making tons of different effects, including hand and deck mixing, all at once. It doesn't seem like they're trying to even push a specific archetype or cards to build decks around for any class outside of soul shards, just a bunch of interesting mini combo pieces.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fenarisk posted:

This is dumb. Elekks didn't even arrive until after scholo turned to the scourge :colbert:

pretty sure scholo was founded as a necromancy school to begin with.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Fenarisk posted:

Hunter has a lot more draw with the +2/+2 draw beast card, cast secret from your deck beast,, draw a rush minion beast, tracking, etc.

Hunter also just has way better card quality. Your average Hunter card beats the poo poo out of your average Paladin card - which is to theoretically make up for the fact that Paladin's hero power is better. Remember, a third of Paladin's basic/classic set is their secrets, which are all basically useless - plus such winners as Righteousness, Humility, Guardian of Kings, and Blessed Champion. And those are just the literally unplayable cards, they have a bunch of mostly unplayable stuff too. They lack removal, they lack AOE, and they lack consistent draw. They weren't pushed for card generation. They do have a nice perk in weapons, but even there it's with awkward costs and statlines compared to the classic 3 mana 3/2.

I've tried to run a lot of variations on Paladin Highlander, and it's literally impossible to come close to the per-card effectiveness that Hunter, Mage, or even Priest can.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Acerbatus posted:

pretty sure scholo was founded as a necromancy school to begin with.

Ok fine then explain the legendary Botani now :colbert:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Where is the customary trash druid legendary though?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Is silver hand really the best hero power? 4/10 of the other powers directly counter it. Warlock’s is way better

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Wild Quest Mage might be getting another nerf, but the wording suggests Sorcerer's Apprentice may be the target:

quote:

Q: What do you guys think about Sorcerer's Apprentice shenanigans' in wild? Do you think its acceptable the way it is now? (Talking about giants quest mage)

A: It's definitely on our radar. We hit Open the Waygate a while back, but we're very aware that it's a volatile situation and a few new cards could make things really unpleasant.

A: We're not just going to leave Wild out to dry. If changes are necessary then we'll make them.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Is silver hand really the best hero power? 4/10 of the other powers directly counter it. Warlock’s is way better

Yeah the whole “the cards tend to be worse than average because the hero power is so good” thing applies to Warlock way more than Paladin.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Warrior/Paladin legendary

Lord Barov: 3 mana 3/2
Battlecry: Equality
Deathrattle: Whirlwind

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
trump revealed a card.

3 mana 3/2 warrior legendary.

Battlecry eqaulity effect, deathrattle whirlwind effect.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Warlock is the main competition, yeah. Otherwise, getting a "free" minion is worth a lot, even if Mage/DH/Rogue can theoretically ping it off every time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

gandlethorpe posted:

Doesn't this seem op?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I think it's fine because you can't activate it the same turn that easily.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Chernabog posted:

Is that warrior 1 mana give a minion rush and draw a card spell still in standard?

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

In a world where rogue is getting a 1 mana draw 5 I'd say its fine

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Chernabog posted:

Risky Skipper is still a thing, no?

e: in fact it's even better than it looks with Risky Skipper because it doesn't have to die to be a board clear

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Warrior or paladin aren't historically great at activating deathrattles efficiently, and it's a one-of so you can't depend on it too much. It pretty much has to be comboed with something to kill it off on demand, making it a two card combo that costs 4+ mana. That's pretty comparable to traditional war/pal board clears.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

Warrior or paladin aren't historically great at activating deathrattles efficiently, and it's a one-of so you can't depend on it too much. It pretty much has to be comboed with something to kill it off on demand, making it a two card combo that costs 4+ mana. That's pretty comparable to traditional war/pal board clears.

Yeah, that's what I meant. It's really good but not game breaking. It is also harder for paladin to pop it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Acerbatus posted:

trump revealed a card.

3 mana 3/2 warrior legendary.

Battlecry eqaulity effect, deathrattle whirlwind effect.
4 mana wipe with skipper with the threat of damage for the next minions your opponent plays seems pretty good for ctrl warriors. Yeah it's a one-off but it's all about the toolbox

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

gandlethorpe posted:

I feel like that’s an auto include in every Warrior deck, and decent in most Paladin decks.
Wonder if you are running Aurla, if it’s worth it to trade a Libram of Justice for Barov, limits her Missfire potential.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Tin Tim posted:

4 mana wipe with skipper with the threat of damage for the next minions your opponent plays seems pretty good for ctrl warriors. Yeah it's a one-off but it's all about the toolbox

And your opponent can't go big and wide again next turn, the deathrattle + plague is another immediate gently caress you board clear.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

gandlethorpe posted:

I don't even know if the power level is even that much higher with this set. It's not like DoD where every card was just obscenely strong - there are some super strong effects, but nearly everything has a condition or a catch. I think there's been a lot of evaluating cards by what they'd do in an absolute dream scenario vs. how they would do in actual usage.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

enki42 posted:

I don't even know if the power level is even that much higher with this set. It's not like DoD where every card was just obscenely strong - there are some super strong effects, but nearly everything has a condition or a catch. I think there's been a lot of evaluating cards by what they'd do in an absolute dream scenario vs. how they would do in actual usage.

That's what I was trying to get at. Power level might not be the right term. Everything feels strong in a deckbuilding sense, rather than in a powercreepy way. Lots of cards like Master's Call, one of my favorite designs. They're extremely effective if your deck is built for it but also aren't complete garbage when you lack the synergy.

It might be that they're not being too heavy handed with mana costs this time around. So many interesting effects in previous expansions were made unplayable due to the cost. We'll see how that pans out.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The main take away I've got so far from this expansion is that everything is well statted. We're not dealing with a TGT situation where the set mechanic was grievously overestimated so everything had terrible stats to compensate.

Maybe that's more power-creep, but bar a few exceptions everything is good for their respective mana cost.

Mentally I keep comparing Keymaster Alabaster to Chromaggus to see how far we've come power level wise in five-ish years.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
There needs to be a restricted wild where they can just ban problem cards outright and an unrestricted wild where anything goes

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

There needs to be a restricted wild where they can just ban problem cards outright and an unrestricted wild where anything goes

Yeah, I’ve wanted a format that’s basically a halfway between Standard and Wild for a while now, too. Every set is legal, but historically problematic cards (like, everything in the HoF, for starters) are banned.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I feel like that’s an auto include in every Warrior deck, and decent in most Paladin decks.
Wonder if you are running Aurla, if it’s worth it to trade a Libram of Justice for Barov, limits her Missfire potential.

It's an auto-include in Paladin too. They like Equality, and absolute worst case this is a one-mana-cheaper Equality.

That said, what Paladin needs is some kind of cheap removal. Not more Equality effects, not more expensive minions that are pseudo-removal, not more "this doesn't actually kill things but it's probably fine to turn that taunt minion into a lower-statted taunt minion, I'm sure that's exactly what you need right now".

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Everything about this reveal video is goddamn brilliant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDawd3eWQAE

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I liked Galakrond's teeny-tiny arms.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
that's brilliant but Anduin's "Wow..." from underneath Galakrond was the highlight for me

Aaod
May 29, 2004
Cobalt is amazing in DH right now not only does it let you pull wins out of your rear end due to silence or X2 twin slice it combos very well with Altruis The Outcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A reminder that the final card reveal stream is tomorrow, July 29th, at 1 PM ET with Kripp and Alec Dawson. The only unrevealed legendary is the Priest one but there’s still half the set to show off.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 29, 2020