Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PST posted:

I posted about the glasgow bigot 'DungeonDining' someone said how they were followed by them and they keep being liked by them, i pointed out how they could block them, they didn't want to, i criticised, this went back and forth a couple of times i got told to drop the entire subject.

And then the mods of the discord, which seems to have gently caress all to do with here given the total lack of recognisable names, all piled in to tell me how terrible a person i was for not obeying x they hadn't said, or y that I hadn't done. literally resulting in, when pointing out how bullshit it was, being told 'if you reply to me, i will ban you'.

Which is definitely in the fine traditions of TG

So I left, because despite claiming the name, it clearly has gently caress and all to do with here, not least because telling anyone they can't continue to discuss the abusive bigotry of someone in the industry is against the entire traditions of this thread.

Also everyone claiming to be a mod there is an authoritarian lying shithead
I just looked through those messages, and this does not appear to be a fair account of what happened.

e: I mean by 'supporting bigots' you mean 'this person has Liked some of my tweets, although i neither follow them nor like any of theirs' and that's ... weird ... to get this twisted up about, which is why everyone there was asking you to chill.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
e: ya know what no

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

"back and forth" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

I mean I have the screenshots, so i'm happy to stand by that, but you're free to come up with whatever you have, and then i'll gladly rebut.

tl;dr the 'trad games' discord, seems to have very little to do with the culture of the forum, particularly the industry thread, where exposing or debating with people about bigotry and support in the industry gets shut down.

And waah wahh cross site drama etc. But this wasn't even a big issue, it was just a bunch of discord mods high on their power acting like dicks because they don't like any controversy and then any of them being criticised.

It's a discord that has nothing to do with this forum, that it has an industry discussion does not mean it's anything like talking about the industry here, that's exactly what I learned.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

dwarf74 posted:

I just looked through those messages, and this does not appear to be a fair account of what happened.

e: I mean by 'supporting bigots' you mean 'this person has Liked some of my tweets, although i neither follow them nor like any of theirs' and that's ... weird ... to get this twisted up about, which is why everyone there was asking you to chill.

And that isn't what I even said

Literally I didn't say that, at all.

My point was, as expressed repeatedly

Now you know this person is X, what do you want to do

And then going on to reiterate how it wasn't their fault for not knowing

But you know, do please keep misrepresenting what I actually wrote.

As in, lets be absolutely clear, the only use of 'supporting bigots' was yours.

Don't lie.

PST fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 28, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I know gently caress all about a discord but I do know about getting mad online.

Double posting and yelling at meinberg are yellow flags that hey maybe it's time to slow down.

(I also eliminated nearly all my social media consumption last week and jesus christ I feel like a new, healthier person already.)

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
In an effort to nip this one in the bud and prevent a useless re-litigating of events on an offsite Discord, here's the answer to your question PST: the only other TradGames Discord is TGD Boardgoons, which is specifically for boardgames. If that interests you, someone can hook you up with an invite, I don't have the link handy.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Kestral posted:

In an effort to nip this one in the bud and prevent a useless re-litigating of events on an offsite Discord, here's the answer to your question PST: the only other TradGames Discord is TGD Boardgoons, which is specifically for boardgames. If that interests you, someone can hook you up with an invite, I don't have the link handy.

Yeah I have that, but there's a discord site claiming to be TG linked in this thread, during the exposure about lowtax, and with TG: industry as a specific topic, none of the people involved as mods/admins of the discord are in any way recognisable from this or any other major thread on the site, and are acting as your typical high school immature bullshit at any criticism of their moderation.

Which would be irrelevant, except for them claiming to be affiliated, or linked, or associated, or whateverthefuck.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just like this site, just leave if you don't like it. I mean just leave the server if you don't like it.

Easy fix.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

"They" didn't claim that, the TG discord specifically says they're independent from and unaffiliated with Somethingawful.

You're having the modern equivalent of a meltdown over the #BadWrongFun IRC channel and should stop.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just like this site, just leave if you don't like it. I mean just leave the server if you don't like it.

Easy fix.

I already left it, in part because going back through the history of any time anyone used the 'industry' thread there, to call out actual industry issues exposed a pattern of shutting that down.

But I also get to call that out, and expose it, because no one there has anything to do with here, and their behaviour and attitudes are similarly regressive and dismissive of the disussion of bigotry.

And they still claim to be affiliated to here, because they do.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There is no, and never has been, official offsite Discord for this or any other thread or subforum of Somethingawful.com.

Various people from here run Discords, and people from here can get invited and go on them. During the latest Lowtax drama, many offsites were linked and posted here and elsewhere, in anticipation of SA maybe going down or maybe everyone needing to leave. Nevertheless, those offsites are not affiliated with SA, and you or anyone else joining such a Discord is doing so without any endorsement or promise by SA admins, mods, and IKs to provide support or moderation.

Let's be 100% clear: there is a rule about importing offsite drama and this discussion is violating that rule.

There have been exceptions in the past, when for example someone from SA uses another offsite option to harass or stalk another goon. This does not seem to be one of those exceptions. If you think that it is, e.g. if you think there is legit harassment, stalking, promotion of Nazi ideology, or some other flagrantly illegal practice, please send me or another moderator a PM and we can discuss it privately.

I will hand out probes if people continue to discuss this offsite issue here.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

plz bring back the anime talk

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Macross Plus is Bryan Cranston’s best acting

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

whydirt posted:

Macross Plus is Bryan Cranston’s best acting

I rather liked his appearance on Babylon 5.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

plz bring back the anime talk

Whats the best system for Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I ran it through the system match computer and it came back "Don't Look Back: Terror Is Never Far Behind" which is some bad horror game from the 90s. Don't know how but the system IS infallible. Thanks for asking, no second opinions.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Well the titular House Husband IS a fat knife clown, so that makes sense.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Haystack posted:

Whats the best system for Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband?

Golden Sky Stories, play the Oni.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Glitch lists Gokushufudo as one of its inspirations.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Bzzzzt! Sorry, the correct answer was, as as always, D&D.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Let's be 100% clear: there is a rule about importing offsite drama and this discussion is violating that rule.

I will hand out probes if people continue to discuss this offsite issue here.

Hi, I just want to pick up on something you claimed

" Let's be 100% clear: there is a rule about importing offsite drama and this discussion is violating that rule. "

Every single time anyone has quoted bigotry from any company would violate your claim of this rule. Wotc, paizo, frog god, etc. etc. every company doing lovely things being reported here would violate your claim that this rule exists. Like what the gently caress?

And this happens a lot, like every single metoo issue, every time people have exposed zak, or pundit or assorted people i've been involved in exposing. Every shithead that's been exposed as being a bigot or a sexual harasser is about 'offsite drama' so...what the gently caress are you even claiming the rule is, when you never enforce it, or are now trying to find the most fraudulent justification to apply it to unrelated subjects. Like, what the gently caress?

Could you please explain this rule to me, because on a straight reading of your claim, which i cannot find being substantiated anywhere else, hundreds of posts would violate it, basically the entirety of this thread, and swathes of others.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It means "offsites" in the SA-specific sense of "offsite goon communities."

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Arivia posted:

It means "offsites" in the SA-specific sense of "offsite goon communities."

So why isn't everyone who highlights or reposts 4chan/kiwi farms bigotry being warned or probated? I mean huge chunks of the vic mignogna thread was about what kiwi farms was doing. Chunks of the tabletop threads have included their bigotry and likewise every loving thread that has touched on trans issues has had to include their bigoted poo poo. because of course being outspoken about trans issues means being attacked and doxed by them.

And they're totally an offisite goon community. I mean, I don't want to admit to it, heck a lot of them don't want to admit to it, but that's where they originated.

Much like a totally unaffiliated discord with no connection who shut down discussion of bigotry and threaten bans if you continue the topic, which...is totally in line with this topic. Wait, no, the other thing. Like, apparently i can talk about paizo's bullshit on child abuse daemon but not fat-shaming cancer-abuse is a-ok just because someone in a loving offsite discord gets their twitter posts liked by the notorious bigot called out in this thread multiple times by other people?

What the loving gently caress.

PST fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 28, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Frankly the rules for SA are distributed between the ancient not-updated site rules, the GBS rules post, Games rules post, and TG rules posts. And between these, I also don't see a rule specifically about importing offsite intra-goon drama, although I swear I've seen it in the past. I should have been specific about that.

There is also a difference between discussing what "public figures" are doing, including on other sites, vs. what regular people (including goons) are doing offsite. So when a certain alleged pants-shitter is using G+ to rally people to harass trad games publishers, that's News and therefore discussible; but if a specific goon is saying mean things about another specific goon on some slack channel or facebook page, that's Not News and not something that SA staff feel they can be responsible for or deal with. The he-said she-said nature of it, the tendency to have people posting excerpts from chat threads (which may or may not include all the context), etc. just poo poo up threads and aren't really actionable by admins and mods.

The TG as an Industry thread is an appropriate place to chat about what public figures in the TG industry are doing, including their misbehavior.

I have sent a PM to a mod because I want to clarify exactly what our rules are regarding goon vs. goon drama from discords. If I've made a mistake about this rule I'll cop to it and post it here, and you'll be free to discuss things within the rules. Please hold on to your grievances until then.

e. In response to your edited post: the offsite harassment and doxxing of SA members was, as I mentioned, an exception because illegal and dangerous poo poo was happening to goons and that warranted a response. In that case I think the appropriate thing would be to talk to the mods and admins directly. So far I don't think you have alleged that someone offsite is doxxing or harassing you or someone else, though, so I don't think it's relevant. If I'm incorrect, again please let me or a mod or admin know.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 28, 2020

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

unnecessary

admanb fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 29, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The intent of this rule that I may or may not have invented, as I understand it, is that it extra super sucks to litigate offsite slapfights on SA threads where it's he-said she-said, clips of possibly-out-of-context chatlogs, SA rules do not apply on offsite discords etc., and SA explicitly does not take responsibility for what goes on between goons on other people's social media sites.

I am still asking all of you to please refrain from continuing to litigate the events in question. I will post if my understanding of this rule is overruled. Yes, that includes people responding to PST's allegations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Deleted

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 29, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes please.
I appreciate both of your thoughts on the topic but if I'm restraining PST then it's only fair I restrain those who would respond to PST too.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If I went out to say... The Official Board Goons Discord that was linked in the OP of the Boardgames thread (which is, by the way, a very good Discord full of very nice goons), and people were doing bad things, I might so be inclined to bring it up in the Boardgames thread.

BUT

I'd be posting examples, and my request would be that we take that info out of the OP, so as not to send people to bad places. That, I think, is reasonable and good, because I'm not asking goons to legislate an off-site, I'm asking for the on-site OP to stop linking it.

If, on the other hand, I came in here going "drama drama drama", with half-allegations, no logs/screenshots (hell, not even a link to said Discord), and got testy with people trying to get answers, I'd expect people to tell me to go gently caress myself for importing off-site drama.

I think it's pretty obvious where the line is drawn, hth.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Yes please.
I appreciate both of your thoughts on the topic but if I'm restraining PST then it's only fair I restrain those who would respond to PST too.

Let's be clear, there's a massive difference between the PMs you've sent me, and what you've said publicly and this is not only utterly loving bullshit but also a complete contrast with the history of how this thread, and exposing and talking about bigotry and harassment in this industry is discussed.

Quite frankly, this contrast between what you're saying publicly, and then privately, makes it loving impossible for me to find a way to thread the needle to talk on the subject at all

So gently caress it

You need to stop moderating this thread

Like I think you're great at all sorts of stuff

But you cannot send me the quoted message while doing the moderating you've done, it puts me in an impossible position and puts you in a position of being able to attack me the moment I say anything.

How loving dare you

quote:

titled: don't panic

Facebook
Twitter
I had to kind of aggressively squash the offsite discussion in the industry thread.

I'm genuinely sorry you had a bad experience on one of the Discords. There's definitely 3+ TG-offshoot discords. I've heard bad things from different people about all of them at various times. A general rule of thumb is that discords suck. They are petty little kingdoms run by people who range from well-meaning to just mean.

That's not to take any sort of stance on whether your complaint was justified or not, though. I don't know and honestly don't really care, it's not an SA issue unless you're being made unsafe or having illegal stuff done to you by other clearly-identifiable SA posters.

Please don't panic though. I'm not mad at you. I get it. I had to leave a couple of Discords recently after I figured out there was gross poo poo going on on them, or that they basically existed so that aggrieved persons could mutually sulk and bitch about stuff on SA while enjoying their little clubhouse retreat without fear of being banned.

During the Lowtax panic, I think mods kind of just let people post tons of links to Discords, because we all thought maybe SA was going to go offline and needed to try to rescue parts of the community. That may have been unfortunately lax in retrospect because quite a few of those offsites are really not good places to be, and letting those posts go up and invites fly around may have seemed like an endorsement.

I'm gonna talk to a mod or two and see if we can't reiterate/clarify SA's relationship to those offsite Discords though, because I don't think you're the first person to have had a bad experience and sought an outlet for it on SA.

> I don't know and honestly don't really care

This is the salient point. This thread repeatedly, over and over raises issues about other parts of the industry. Largely it's companies, sometimes it's influential bits of social media, if you don't care, then what are you doing moderating this thread? Not least because of how you went on to develop the subject.

"I don't know and honestly don't really care, "

You need to stop what you're doing if you don't care.

It's as simple as that

You should not be in any position of authority over anyone if you literally don't care about what their complaint is.

Sure, it's super common, hello capitalism

Also hello UKMT gently caress you if that's your attitude, how loving dare you, quit now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PST fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 29, 2020

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

There's really not much of a difference between those besides the PM having a stronger personal appeal. The tone of all of this has been very gentle and you keep flipping out over basically nothing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Pretty cool how PST can keep posting angry but replying to any of it is off-limits.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

moths posted:

Pretty cool how PST can keep posting angry but replying to any of it is off-limits.

I've not seen a single person claim that replying to me is off limits, but do please feel free to quote that, i'd love to see it.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Love to constantly display my lack of any reading comprehension whatsoever.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I am still asking all of you to please refrain from continuing to litigate the events in question. I will post if my understanding of this rule is overruled. Yes, that includes people responding to PST's allegations.

PST has copped a probe now, because they are not following a very reasonable request to stop having this fight here, and still trying to litigate the question of what exactly is the offsite drama rule after I made it clear I am asking for clarification.

moths posted:

No.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Is sharing PMs off limits here or just kinda hosed up and weird?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't know. It's potentially nasty but in this case I'm fine with everything I said there being public. I don't see a general rule about it.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Aaaaaaannnnyway, in this, the darkest timeline, Games Workshop laughs in the face of Brexit and a global pandemic to somehow post their best year ever.

Link to earning PDF.

Things of note:
Royalties from everything Games Workshop can slap a space marine on are up almost 50%.
Studio costs went up by a factor of ten, and they have animiated projects in the works.
Payroll is up, even though they shut down for six weeks.
Vague comments about licensing IP for a AAA game on a digital platform.
Vague, but in a more ominous way, comments about the challenges of finding the right management.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Capfalcon posted:

Aaaaaaannnnyway, in this, the darkest timeline, Games Workshop laughs in the face of Brexit and a global pandemic to somehow post their best year ever.

Link to earning PDF.

Things of note:
Royalties from everything Games Workshop can slap a space marine on are up almost 50%.
Studio costs went up by a factor of ten, and they have animiated projects in the works.
Payroll is up, even though they shut down for six weeks.
Vague comments about licensing IP for a AAA game on a digital platform.
Vague, but in a more ominous way, comments about the challenges of finding the right management.

Feels like they might end up going in the D&D direction of the game being an afterthought to the value of the IP.

In related notes, the Hasbro investor call apparently had the spring MTG set being the best selling ever, despite the pandemic causing the obvious issues plus a print delay and suspension of all events. How much this is related to adding things like collector packs isn't clear, but I was pretty surprised at that. I wonder if the various support bills increased spending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ultiville posted:

Feels like they might end up going in the D&D direction of the game being an afterthought to the value of the IP.

In related notes, the Hasbro investor call apparently had the spring MTG set being the best selling ever, despite the pandemic causing the obvious issues plus a print delay and suspension of all events. How much this is related to adding things like collector packs isn't clear, but I was pretty surprised at that. I wonder if the various support bills increased spending.

They moved the release of pre-constructed commander decks from being its own event in August to a simultaneous release with the Spring set. I wonder if they rolled the numbers from that into the overall set sales.