Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
No it's a new thing that I invented

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I made an Aviation substituting Bacardi Dragonberry for the gin

Thinking of calling it a Dragon's Flight

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Orangecello is also very easy to make. I use a 30% abv orangecello instead of Cointreau.

I also like a margarita with reposado tequila and Tuaca

i was looking into doing this and it's basically just
- infuse a bunch of peels in neutral spirit
- after a few weeks, add simple syrup to preferred sweetness level

am i missing anything or would that do the trick?

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

My little experience:
As little pith as possible or it will become incredibly bitter. I use a big microplane zester from a commercial kitchen supply. I'd also use as much zest as possible then dilute it out with a neutral spirit (I just zested about 30 limes and 20 lemons into twice as much spirit for example) - my first limoncello made everything actively worse no matter how much I wished otherwise, wet cardboard. This years orangecello and lime-oncello were fantastic. If you heat the whole solution then add warm syrup can get it clear apparently if that matters to you.

E: Flavor changes fairly strongly with the sugar content, fun to play with.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

eke out posted:

You can also do it in a few hours if you’re a dork and infuse sous vide

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Can anybody give me some advice on proper floating/layering methods? I tried pouring about 1/4 oz. of red wine over the back of a bar spoon on top of a whiskey sour last night and ended up with a red whiskey sour. It still tasted just fine, but for all the effort I may as well have just added it before mixing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

My little experience:
As little pith as possible or it will become incredibly bitter. I use a big microplane zester from a commercial kitchen supply. I'd also use as much zest as possible then dilute it out with a neutral spirit (I just zested about 30 limes and 20 lemons into twice as much spirit for example) - my first limoncello made everything actively worse no matter how much I wished otherwise, wet cardboard. This years orangecello and lime-oncello were fantastic. If you heat the whole solution then add warm syrup can get it clear apparently if that matters to you.

E: Flavor changes fairly strongly with the sugar content, fun to play with.

eSports Chaebol posted:

You can also do it in a few hours if you’re a dork and infuse sous vide

thanks! a lot of sites seem to say sous viding @ 135 for 2 hours is enough, i might give that a shot

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Meaty Ore posted:

Can anybody give me some advice on proper floating/layering methods? I tried pouring about 1/4 oz. of red wine over the back of a bar spoon on top of a whiskey sour last night and ended up with a red whiskey sour. It still tasted just fine, but for all the effort I may as well have just added it before mixing.

I’d also love any tricks about this, I’ve never been successful floating rum, amaretto, or anything else.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
If you have a proper bar spoon with the corkscrew stem, you can stick the spoon into the drink vertically and then slowly pour the liquid down the stem. It will spiral and lose all the momentum from gravity and then not be able to penetrate into the drink. Really though it is just finesse and practice.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Klauser posted:

No it's a new thing that I invented

The Jalisco Daquiri - quite innovative.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

If you have a proper bar spoon with the corkscrew stem, you can stick the spoon into the drink vertically and then slowly pour the liquid down the stem. It will spiral and lose all the momentum from gravity and then not be able to penetrate into the drink. Really though it is just finesse and practice.

Without the bar spoon, you'd need to arrest the momentum by getting your spoon to fit, cup side up (as if you're about to take a sip), just above the drink level. You're basically pouring into a spoon that slowly leaks out the side. This does require your drink to reach near the top of the glass, since most spoons can't sit flat on a liquid surface if they are angled down to fit in the glass.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
1.5 oz white rum
1 oz fresh grapefruit juice
1/3 oz lime juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
over ice and topped with a few oz of soda.
It's somewhere between a daiquiri, fizz, and Hemingway, but it's very refreshing.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Thanks. I do have a corkscrew-stem bar spoon and this worked perfectly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

eke out posted:

Like Perpetual Hiatus said, it's better to zest.

After zesting, I juice all the oranges and freeze the juice. When it's time to filter the zest from the spirit, I add the juice back in. I also stir the zest into the simple syrup to get that last bit of orange flavour. None of this is really necessary, but it's what I like to do.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

You could freeze distill the juice to try and concentrate the flavors at that point, yeah? You've already done half the work at that point!

Can somebody suggest simple mocktails? My wife and I enjoy drinks which are citrus-forward, floral (not fruity), and/or refreshing. Even someone searching archives and quoting prior mocktail chat would be great, I think the ios awful app doesn't have search.

I'm currently on a newborn's schedule, and part of that is abstaining from alcohol. Doesn't mix with feeding every 2-3 hours. I do have time to juice citrus and pick mint though!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I juice like 4 limes and 3 lemons, add sugar to tate, maybe like 100g of sugar to taste, quarter up another lemon and lime, put the juice, sugar and whole fruit a container muddle to get the oils out, then add some mint and muddle that (I add separately as if you add all at once you can overextract the mint). Now you've a nice syrup you can add to seltzer to make sparkling limeaid.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Carillon posted:

I juice like 4 limes and 3 lemons, add sugar to tate, maybe like 100g of sugar to taste, quarter up another lemon and lime, put the juice, sugar and whole fruit a container muddle to get the oils out, then add some mint and muddle that (I add separately as if you add all at once you can overextract the mint). Now you've a nice syrup you can add to seltzer to make sparkling limeaid.

This, but zest the fruit ahead of time. I usually zest 8-10 limes, cover with a cup of sugar. Let it sit for 8-24 hours, shake it occasionally. Add enough water to dissolve the sugar.

If you want floral, a lavender simple is easy to make as well. Do a quick toast of the lavender in a saucepan, add a couple cups of water. Bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes or so. Cool it, strain the flowers, add an equal part of sugar and dissolve.

A homemade grenadine also makes a tasty floral citrus drink.

2 cups pomegranate juice
2 cups sugar
2T pomegranate molasses
1t orange blossom water

Combine it over heat, stir til the sugars dissolved. I don’t reduce mine, but some people do.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

BrianBoitano posted:

Can somebody suggest simple mocktails?

*urge to post insanely involved mocktail recipes intensifies*

The Campari substitute from Zero by the Alinea/Aviary guys. It's really good. So far have had success with this, fake sweet vermouth, fake gin, fake tequila, and fake triple sec. The fake mezcal (involving burnt pineapple skin and liquid smoke) was a failure though. I should just try their crazy original mocktails that aren't just substitutes though.

eSports Chaebol fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 24, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

As far as insanely involved temperance drinks go, the hot toddy from The Aviary looked delicious.

https://youtu.be/7QkrjZiruwA

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Also look into shrubs. You can get some pretty awesome flavors into it that you then lengthen with soda water or ginger ale etc. You can get quite creative with different herb/fruit/vinegar combos. I haven't done one in a while but my most successful in the past was a strawberry basil one.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Carillon posted:

Also look into shrubs. You can get some pretty awesome flavors into it that you then lengthen with soda water or ginger ale etc. You can get quite creative with different herb/fruit/vinegar combos. I haven't done one in a while but my most successful in the past was a strawberry basil one.

Strawberry black pepper shrub with Demerara sugar is super tasty with some soda water

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Look into mocktails based around fruit juices and syrups combined with ginger beer or soda water and bitters to round out the flavor. It's not a hard thing to experiment with, and the bitters and ginger beer prevent it from being an overly sweet juice mixture. You can also make the base from fresh grapefruit juice, which is tart enough to be balanced by the other ingredients and can help you build a tiki-style drink without booze.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
There are some great zero proof spirits available too. Ritual is a brand that uses botanicals to provide the signature alchoholic burn to their stuff, I have their gin and it's good. They do a whiskey and tequila but I haven't had either yet.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fuckin cheers, all. I'm going to try all of those reasonable ones, though I won't be macerating the zesr for now. Might even look up the campari one, that's one of our mutual favorite bottles.

For lavender, is this okay or do I look around for fresh? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7HPJF8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bK4gFbZPTTSJ1

Today is baby Boitano's 1 week old day, so I'm going to go see what we have in the fridge! I made seltzer 8 days ago but didn't transfer it from its plastic to a glass bottle, here's hoping it's still good!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I’ve got lots of friends that don’t drink, and I’ve been real curious about the Seedlip brand stuff.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’ve got lots of friends that don’t drink, and I’ve been real curious about the Seedlip brand stuff.

I haven't had it, but I've heard good things. Again I'll plug Ritual for the most true to experience zero proof liquor.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

BrianBoitano posted:

Fuckin cheers, all. I'm going to try all of those reasonable ones, though I won't be macerating the zesr for now. Might even look up the campari one, that's one of our mutual favorite bottles.

For lavender, is this okay or do I look around for fresh? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7HPJF8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bK4gFbZPTTSJ1

Today is baby Boitano's 1 week old day, so I'm going to go see what we have in the fridge! I made seltzer 8 days ago but didn't transfer it from its plastic to a glass bottle, here's hoping it's still good!

That’s fine for lavender. Fresh is awesome, but the dried stuff will work almost as well.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
I've got a bunch of rhubarb jam I need to use up before it goes bad, anyone have recipe ideas? I was thinking gin or tequila but hadn't gotten much farther than that so far.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

vlad3217 posted:

I've got a bunch of rhubarb jam I need to use up before it goes bad, anyone have recipe ideas? I was thinking gin or tequila but hadn't gotten much farther than that so far.

Gin and Jam is classic.

2 ounces gin
2 tablespoons jam

Shake with ice and strain, top with soda water.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gin and Jam is classic.

2 ounces gin
2 tablespoons jam

Badly mixed versions of this is where I gave us our current thread title, so be judicious with the straining.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Gin and Jam is classic.

2 ounces gin
2 tablespoons jam

This does sound good, though I think the only soda water I have is Topo. I'll give it a try though, there's a lot of jam left.

chitoryu12 posted:

Badly mixed versions of this is where I gave us our current thread title, so be judicious with the straining.

Exactly my concern

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

vlad3217 posted:

This does sound good, though I think the only soda water I have is Topo. I'll give it a try though, there's a lot of jam left.

Just made this with Topo. It’s good OP

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My mate, who is the best/worst influence, is getting me into cocktails.

So far the wifey and I have focused on the humble Daiquiri, but some orgeat has been ordered and we're ready for the Mai Tai.

Where should we go from here? I think we'd like something more in the "some fruit juice added" direction rather than the "hard liqueur plus other hard liqueur" Old Fashioned/Manhattan style... currently the bar has:

Xaymaca, Appleton 12YO, Havana club light and something else rums.
Bombay Sapphire, Botanist gins.
Generic tequila.
Angostura.
Port.
A fairly old bottle of Cointreau.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Cointreau doesn't spoil, it's 80 proof!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

One of my favorites is a southside, which is gin, simple, lemon juice and then mint that you shake together and serve up. The mint is really nice in the drink. You can then take that cocktail and serve it in a collins glass with seltzer and you have a southside fizz which is nice and refreshing. Take away the mint and you've made a collins. Take away the simple and replace lemon with lime and you've a gin rickey.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Guess I made a Collins then. Very drinkable but a bit pedestrian. Tasted like something teenage girls would chug by the gallon. Also needed more lemon and less simple and maybe a more interesting gin than Tanqueray.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

How dare you call a collins pedestrian

Carillon
May 9, 2014

bolind posted:

Guess I made a Collins then. Very drinkable but a bit pedestrian. Tasted like something teenage girls would chug by the gallon. Also needed more lemon and less simple and maybe a more interesting gin than Tanqueray.

The simpler the drink the more I find proper ratios matter.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
What do I need to know about Ouzo? We've arbitrarily settled on Greek as a party theme and I was thinking of doing some kind of cocktails using that. And/or just offering a shot to anyone who wants it. I've already googled a few cocktail ideas that look pretty solid, but are there recommended brands/varieties? (I'm fairly certain I've never had it before in any form.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Sir Lemming posted:

What do I need to know about Ouzo? We've arbitrarily settled on Greek as a party theme and I was thinking of doing some kind of cocktails using that. And/or just offering a shot to anyone who wants it. I've already googled a few cocktail ideas that look pretty solid, but are there recommended brands/varieties? (I'm fairly certain I've never had it before in any form.)

I’d go the route of modifying absinthe drinks. Sazerac with an ouzo rinse for example. If you have people who are into super anisette forward drinks a death in the after noon would be fun for a party. Hell, pick up some sparkling xinomavro and go all the way.