Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
How does oubliettes work with something like deputy of detention. Deputy hasn't left the battlefield right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ilmucche posted:

How does oubliettes work with something like deputy of detention. Deputy hasn't left the battlefield right?

Correct.

Oubliette never causes a creature to leave or enter the battlefield.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Finally, I can play MBC as it was meant to be played.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Framboise posted:

Finally, I can play MBC as it was meant to be played.

Oub makes a commander not exist but doesn't actually make it change zones so your opponent can't put it back into the command zone as a replacement.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
It's good to get another playable effect like that imo

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

Oub makes a commander not exist but doesn't actually make it change zones so your opponent can't put it back into the command zone as a replacement.

I'm pretty stoked about that too, yeah. It's great especially when you don't have access to Darksteel Mutation or Kenrith's Transformation, and arguably better since the only way to get your commander back is to destroy the Oubliette.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 28, 2020

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

just go full stupid with it and have it be raining literal brains if they're going to have something like this

They were so close already

ShaneB posted:

Welp, finally the meme can die.

Well now that phasing is back in standard . . . :getin:

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 28, 2020

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Speaking of goofy arts. I kind of like it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Marketing New Brain posted:

yep that's what I was thinking of when I said that, a literal geyser from a brain. :v:

I forgot that there were MULTIPLE brains geysering in the artwork, though.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sadly the best concept for Brainstorm's art was used for Mind Bomb

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nighthand posted:

That art owns, love it

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Reprint Psionic Blast

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

ShaneB posted:

Welp, finally the meme can die.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Marketing New Brain posted:

Well now that phasing is back in standard . . . :getin:

... Tubgirl made it into into MTG huh?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Nighthand posted:

That is a creature from Neon Genesis Evangelion and you cannot tell me it isn't.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

https://twitter.com/elishffrn/status/1288185610109255680?s=21

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

That is a creature from Neon Genesis Evangelion and you cannot tell me it isn't.
ehhhhh, close enough

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
i was lolling at the brainstorm not because of the art (which owns), but because one of their boxtoppers is a common that costs 10 cents

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Rare art/foil brainstorm will be worth a pretty penny for the exact same reason that rare art/foil urza lands will be worth a decent amount

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

kalvanoo posted:

i was lolling at the brainstorm not because of the art (which owns), but because one of their boxtoppers is a common that costs 10 cents

Wait til this guy hears about guru lands

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh poo poo YEAH, found my rare binder! I thought I got rid of this years ago, but it was buried in a box in the far corner of the storage room.

I don't think I have anything insanely special, definitely already sold off my dualies and gaea's cradles and whatnot ages back during Money Troubles, but there's 32 pages of almost 300 rares in here.

should I take pictures of each page or just a short video flipping through it all or what, if anyone wants to see what's in there

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Be more mad about uncommons getting upshifted to rares imo.

That's actual bullshit.

Edit: Yavimaya Hollow is like a 30 dollar card last time I checked.
Edit 2: Oh it's average of 50 now.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 28, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hell yeah. I know there's some decent stuff in here still, but nothing on the level of what I used to have.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Its worth looking everything up. Don't assume you know what stuff costs.

I went through my collection recently for stuff I thought was valuable to trade for new goodies and I missed tons of stuff and I was deep into knowing what everything cost when I was in college.

Literally seconds ago I realized what I was sure was a dollar junk rare i left in my trash box, Staff of Domination is worth money.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 28, 2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When I cashed out, I went through a buylisted everything in my binders and boxes worth more than $5 and bought a nice camera before my first was born. A couple of years later I did it again, $5 limit, and had enough for a lens. A couple years after THAT I did it with a $1 limit and bought a guitar. Stuff just kept on climbing into the "worth the trouble" range.

The final time, I just catalogued every rare and mythic and any uncommon/common that they even buylisted for even a penny. Bought a nice sushi dinner and then recycled the rest. (Arena entered open beta about 3 months later, and I've played nearly every day since haha.)

My point is, you'd be surprised.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What do you guys do with several thousand cards that aren't worth anything, once you've pulled every worth-something card out of a huge old collection? Just dump them in the recycling, or, store them forever in case some 5th edition uncommon suddenly gains value in four years?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

What do you guys do with several thousand cards that aren't worth anything, once you've pulled every worth-something card out of a huge old collection? Just dump them in the recycling, or, store them forever in case some 5th edition uncommon suddenly gains value in four years?

Pack 'em in to a USPS flat rate box and ship 'em to https://commons4kids.org/ (there's some other charities, but I shipped off 2 boxes (so probably like 10k cards) to that one.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Leperflesh posted:

I've bulked out my commons//uncommons/bulk rares twice in my life, both times to SCG, and both times to the tune of $200+. It can be kind of hassle going through everything to make sure you didn't miss a Manamorphose, and sometimes you wake up in the middle of the night wondering if you accidentally mailed them a playset of Mother of runes, but it's also nice recycling draft chaff into marquee Commander cards or reserve list stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Had a longbox full of misc cards, from baseball to Batman Forever to original legend of the five rings/star wars TCG/star trek TCG/warhammer 40k TCG/any other card-type things I own, and right at the end was a small stack of MTG rares.

Leperflesh posted:

please don't ever recycle cards in playable condition(or non-broken toys and such). donate them instead. there is always someone less fortunate who you have NO IDEA how much it would mean to them to have something to play with. when my mom lost everything to identity theft around the turn of the millenium and I had no money anymore, there was a nice old man at the game store I played at who would give me stacks of commons from the booster boxes he regularly opened in exchange for going down to the convenience store and picking up some soda/picking up pizza at the nearby pizza place for him. even gave me some stuff like Rancors and some other commons that were actually worth something, even a couple lotus petals. It made my goddamn day every time, you have no idea.

Like, those Innistrad(?) commons I posted earlier, I'll probably keep 8 of each and donate most of the rest.

Bust Rodd posted:

I've bulked out my commons//uncommons/bulk rares twice in my life, both times to SCG, and both times to the tune of $200+. It can be kind of hassle going through everything to make sure you didn't miss a Manamorphose, and sometimes you wake up in the middle of the night wondering if you accidentally mailed them a playset of Mother of runes, but it's also nice recycling draft chaff into marquee Commander cards or reserve list stuff.
you can also do this, yeah.

much more annoying with pre-exodus sets to not miss rares/uncommons, but yeah, you can absolutely sell huge lots of commons for a bit, or even like, sets of 4x of each common sometimes. But if you can afford it, I'd say donate'em and save yourself the hassle.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

How do you guys know which random little card buylists for .50 cents or a quarter or whatever? I go through my junk now and again and pull what I think might be pricey now and then but I have some 20,000 plus commons uncommons and some sprinkled rares that I've never picked that thoroughly going back to Ice Age that I've never picked the Rancors and Clouds of Faeries out of. I feel like there is value there but I wouldn't even know where to start.

Fake Edit: Just looked through my junk again, Foil Predict and Foil No Mercy are worth money now? lmao

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Ciprian Maricon posted:

How do you guys know which random little card buylists for .50 cents or a quarter or whatever? I go through my junk now and again and pull what I think might be pricey now and then but I have some 20,000 plus commons uncommons and some sprinkled rares that I've never picked that thoroughly going back to Ice Age that I've never picked the Rancors and Clouds of Faeries out of. I feel like there is value there but I wouldn't even know where to start.

Fake Edit: Just looked through my junk again, Foil Predict and Foil No Mercy are worth money now? lmao

https://mtg.dawnglare.com is good for that. It shows the valuable uncommons and commons for each set.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Leperflesh posted:

Donated like 20-30k cards to a middle school starting a MTG club after someone posted on Facebook about it. Worst case they sit in some classroom and never get touched. Better than sitting on my shelf. After the fact I realized I didn’t have any dispels or negates when I was trying to put a deck together and actually had to buy them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kalli posted:

Pack 'em in to a USPS flat rate box and ship 'em to https://commons4kids.org/ (there's some other charities, but I shipped off 2 boxes (so probably like 10k cards) to that one.

drat, that's a great option

Captain Invictus posted:

please don't ever recycle cards in playable condition(or non-broken toys and such). donate them instead.
Yeah my default would probably have been Goodwill or something, I wasn't really gonna dump them into the recycling, but I should have said so.

There was a period probably 10 to 15 years ago where I bought a few sealed short and long boxes sold at game stores where it was like, $15 for this whole mystery box! of 99.9% commons! Some of them had like 80 copies of the same card in a huge stack. Even if those things are worth a quarter each, it's not worth my time selling them individually for the next year to the next 80 people who actually want one of that card. So,

Bust Rodd posted:

I didn't know that was an option either, that's cool. How does it work? It looks like I need to make an account on star city games? Then can I just mail them boxes of cards and some poor bastard has to sort through thousands of cards and figure out what the poo poo I sent them and in what condition and then they add a $18 credit to my account after spending five hours of labor determining that value?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

https://mtg.dawnglare.com is good for that. It shows the valuable uncommons and commons for each set.

What the gently caress, Thawing Glaciers buylists for 8 goddamn dollars?

gently caress me my weekend is shot.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Leperflesh posted:

I didn't know that was an option either, that's cool. How does it work? It looks like I need to make an account on star city games? Then can I just mail them boxes of cards and some poor bastard has to sort through thousands of cards and figure out what the poo poo I sent them and in what condition and then they add a $18 credit to my account after spending five hours of labor determining that value?

You go to their website and follow the instructions for selling cards and then wait for them to confirm that they want it. Any outfit the size and depth of SCG has a $15,000 automatic card sorting machine that can process millions of cards in a day if it has to and they just basically feed your entire collection into the robot and the robot burps out store credit into your account.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hello my favorite card from tempest

loving love the art and flavor text

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Bust Rodd posted:

a $15,000 automatic card sorting machine that can process millions of cards in a day

is this a real thing? i just assumed they had card sorter wage slaves

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The new frame is explicitly designed for machine sorting, with the white-on-black text that definitively describes the card at the bottom.

But you can also sort old cards just fine, you just need a slightly better camera that looks at the whole card rather than just the bottom strip and compares it to a database of card images. Sort anything it doesn't recognize into a separate bucket for hand sorting, there won't be many of those.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Donated like 20-30k cards to a middle school starting a MTG club after someone posted on Facebook about it. Worst case they sit in some classroom and never get touched. Better than sitting on my shelf. After the fact I realized I didn’t have any dispels or negates when I was trying to put a deck together and actually had to buy them.

If you didn't give them away they would have disappeared anyway. That's just what playable commons you swear you owned do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Big Leg posted:

is this a real thing? i just assumed they had card sorter wage slaves

imagine one of these the size of a large filing cabinet

https://cardcastle.co/cardbot

that's what any major mtg retailer has in the warehouse