Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Pyromancer posted:

Americans should really make up their mind, is the troll farm interference really pathetic or did it get Trump elected.
Also as we say in America, either put your briefs back on or take off the cross.
I don't see why it can't be both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
fuuuuck

There's been a new Armenia/Azerbaijan skirmish that left a bunch of people dead and so there's been fighting in Moscow and other places with large expat communities. Obviously there's a lot of history there but it's pretty interesting how heated the communities get, I don't remember massive brawls like these when Russia literally invaded Ukraine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/26/moscows-fruit-stalls-become-frontline-of-a-border-skirmish-2000-miles-away

Pyromancer posted:

Americans should really make up their mind, is the troll farm interference really pathetic or did it get Trump elected.
Also as we say in America, either put your briefs back on or take off the cross.
Por que no los dos?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Obviously there's a lot of history there but it's pretty interesting how heated the communities get, I don't remember massive brawls like these when Russia literally invaded Ukraine.

With Russians vs Ukranians you dont have religious strife and Ukrainians tend to not form organized diasporas in Russian cities with their businesses and ties to law enforcement.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Eastern Europe: After a beer I usually tune my pow on Jennifer

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

"Jenny works as a waitress at a roadside diner". Jesus Christ, has this dude seen anything American made after 1965?

Gina works the diner all day working for her man
She brings home her pay, for love, for love

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Brown Moses posted:

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1287667463942025216

I'd genuinely like to know the origin of "tune my pow".

Oh, this is so wonderful, I just had to.
https://soundcloud.com/stanley-swanson-150846885/life-of-a-typical-american

Rincewinds posted:

Gina works the diner all day working for her man
She brings home her pay, for love, for love

Jenny who do you think that you are
You should've been sweeping up the Emerald bar

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

GABA ghoul posted:

"If you don't steal from the state, you are stealing from your family" was basically the unofficial motto of the 80s Soviet Union.

Yep.

Also wow, that essay is great. Now I want to read more of them :v:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Batka is down with the roni :pray:

Edit: ahfuck, he HAD it, just told everyone post factum. poo poo.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-president-who-claimed-vodka-22430771

Mokotow posted:

Batka is down with the roni :pray:

Edit: ahfuck, he HAD it, just told everyone post factum. poo poo.

Vodka is really all you need!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Time for another Batka flex against Russia, a group of Wagner mercs in transit through Belarus got arrested

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1288460439173640192

edgy patches included:
https://twitter.com/ilya_shepelin/status/1288453529871486977

"KILLING IS OUR BUSINESS... AND BUSINESS IS GOOD"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The patch is apparently super popular in Russia, and you can buy it basically in any tacticool equipment shop. It's weird as hell that actual mercenaries wear it. Feels like something teenagers would wear to look cool. Or adult Megadeth fans, I suppose.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I like that one of the reason they were deemed suspicious was that they were not drinking.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m somewhat impressed they weren’t

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mokotow posted:

I’m somewhat impressed they weren’t

The way they are portrayed in the news, it's like a viral ad campaign for Wagner.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
given the whole Union State of Russia and Belarus situation, can Russia even technically invade Belarus? the soldiers are just on a group tour, as they are wont to do. they're probably not drinking because they're just gay; Minsk has several noted cathedrals that those interested in architecture would be remiss not to visit!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

given the whole Union State of Russia and Belarus situation, can Russia even technically invade Belarus? the soldiers are just on a group tour, as they are wont to do. they're probably not drinking because they're just gay; Minsk has several noted cathedrals that those interested in architecture would be remiss not to visit!
I guess 'to annex' is the word you are meaning?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There was that conspiracy theory a while back about Russia annexing Belarus and/or couping the government and then putting Putin in charge of it as his retirement dictatorship. I think they're disgruntled at Belarus but not enough to remove Lukashenko before he can put Nikolay on the throne. It must be infuriating to be Lukashenko's other two, large adult sons. It's like something out of North Korea.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I remember that being about making their own USSR but with hookers and blackjack and without the rest of republics.

Paladinus posted:

The patch is apparently super popular in Russia, and you can buy it basically in any tacticool equipment shop. It's weird as hell that actual mercenaries wear it. Feels like something teenagers would wear to look cool. Or adult Megadeth fans, I suppose.
Mercs (and even special forces) wear all kinds of dumb stuff. But the phrase also just sounds plain weird in russian, I don't think I've ever heard it outside of :megadeath: context

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's no longer a need to take Belarus now that Putin is legally the forevial president.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I'm not even sure what was even the purpose of detaining Wagner mercs. If it was to scare people from going to rallies, that clearly didn't work because Tihanovskaya had a massive rally yesterday.

Maybe its KGB having to follow Lukashenko's logic. Since the concept that Lukashenko is unpopular is unthinkable than the protests must be due to external influence, if it's external influence than its KGB's job to find out who and find out how. Since there aren't really any external actors than the mrcs are the best thing they could find.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

woodenchicken posted:

There's no longer a need to take Belarus now that Putin is legally the forevial president.

Yeah, I believe those rumors were before the vote that allowed Putin to rule forever. It's not like United Russia or Putin himself, not that there's any difference at this point, has a successor waiting in the wings. There isn't even a credible opposition to Putin at this point so I can't really imagine Putin setting himself up as Kadyrov 2.0 in Belarus or anywhere else as a retirement type out. He's going to rule until he dies or is killed unless something dramatic happens in the near future.

Sekenr posted:

I'm not even sure what was even the purpose of detaining Wagner mercs. If it was to scare people from going to rallies, that clearly didn't work because Tihanovskaya had a massive rally yesterday.

Maybe its KGB having to follow Lukashenko's logic. Since the concept that Lukashenko is unpopular is unthinkable than the protests must be due to external influence, if it's external influence than its KGB's job to find out who and find out how. Since there aren't really any external actors than the mrcs are the best thing they could find.

It's probably that because they can't let the facade publicly crack.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Russia enacted it's revenge by instituting passport controls at the border which caused kilometer lines while Ukraine asked to extradite 28 of the detained Wagners to them :D Interesting to see if Lukashenko and co will dig themselves deeper or what re they going to do

E: obviously election is number one priority right now but afterwards they put themselves in a stupid position with their own hands. There is no winning move. Either they release vagners to Russia and look completely stupid in front of their own population after national tv stories how they planned terrorisms. Or they double down and than its not clear why doesnt Belarus cooperate with Ukraine who consider them war criminals. If they do the latter, it will make Kremlin so furious, passport checks at the border will be nothing.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 31, 2020

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

St. Petersburg

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

They really need to come up with some new cover stories in Russia

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1289661474860752896

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... pretty sure in this case, they could have just said the truth?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I suspect they were heading to Syria, but can't just admit it, and at the same time there is no way Belarusian KGB can prove they were plotting something in Belarus.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Brown Moses posted:

They really need to come up with some new cover stories in Russia

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1289661474860752896

It sounds like a joke/threat about the Aya Soyfa.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Navalny brought up an interesting point. Russian media and pundits are completely silent on the matter. And they are known to make an astronomically huge deal out of the smallest events, where Russian citizens or values are even questioned abroad. Navalny suspects that this entire ordeal is completely scripted, approved by GRU, and only exists as routine fear-mongering tactic. He brings it up similar incidents from every Belarus election in the last 20 years.

https://youtu.be/Oa6DgVAP1k4

Not sure if they have English subtitles, but the segment covers many points of interest in Minsk at the moment

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
if the GRU managed to script what seems to be nearing 100k people to come out in Minsk and belt out Разбуры турмы муры for a Tikhanouskaya rally, color me impressed

we shouldn't miss the forest for the little green tree men

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I've read Batka is in such poor health they may postpone his speech in parliament.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
God help us if Slavs ever figure out how to use articles

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

if the GRU managed to script what seems to be nearing 100k people to come out in Minsk and belt out Разбуры турмы муры for a Tikhanouskaya rally, color me impressed

we shouldn't miss the forest for the little green tree men
What are you talking about?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Nitrox posted:

What are you talking about?

this and well, all the rest over the past few weeks

https://twitter.com/Den_2042/status/1289828639211532288

also context
https://www.calvertjournal.com/articles/show/12004/belarus-pro-democracy-protests-song-anthem

https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1289840857332371457

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 2, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
But what does GRU have to do with that? Those are legit demonstrations. I still don't understand what you meant

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Nitrox posted:

Navalny brought up an interesting point. Russian media and pundits are completely silent on the matter. And they are known to make an astronomically huge deal out of the smallest events, where Russian citizens or values are even questioned abroad. Navalny suspects that this entire ordeal is completely scripted, approved by GRU, and only exists as routine fear-mongering tactic. He brings it up similar incidents from every Belarus election in the last 20 years.

https://youtu.be/Oa6DgVAP1k4

Not sure if they have English subtitles, but the segment covers many points of interest in Minsk at the moment

They are silent (not really silent, but not on a 24/7 OUR BOYS warpath against TRAITOROUS POTATOEATER either, granted) because of the wonky status of the Wagner group.
PMCs are not legal under russian law and Prigozhin's structure probably did not bother with giving them "private security service/consultancy" fig leaf, so the legend is too stupid even for professional propagandists (see remarks about cathedral above).
Next, the Russia-Belarus relations are special, so most certainly the negotiations are underway and no detailed memos for media have been issued, since the matter is delicate.

There is no need to overthink the conspiracy , all actors in this proved to be irrational and hysteric in the past. It is not below Batka to arrest based on paranoia and not below Kremlin to seed groups of green men JUST IN CASE if the winner of election (or post election struggle) won't talk to the big brother with respect.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/CleverIsHere/status/1289672107425595393?s=20

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

fatherboxx posted:

They are silent (not really silent, but not on a 24/7 OUR BOYS warpath against TRAITOROUS POTATOEATER either, granted) because of the wonky status of the Wagner group.
PMCs are not legal under russian law and Prigozhin's structure probably did not bother with giving them "private security service/consultancy" fig leaf, so the legend is too stupid even for professional propagandists (see remarks about cathedral above).
Next, the Russia-Belarus relations are special, so most certainly the negotiations are underway and no detailed memos for media have been issued, since the matter is delicate.

There is no need to overthink the conspiracy , all actors in this proved to be irrational and hysteric in the past. It is not below Batka to arrest based on paranoia and not below Kremlin to seed groups of green men JUST IN CASE if the winner of election (or post election struggle) won't talk to the big brother with respect.
Navalny speculated that this sort of mercenary movement is a routine thing. They don't fly directly out of Russia, but leave in small groups through Belarus, Kazakhstan and whatever else. He thinks that lukashenko simply detained this particular group for scaremongering purposes, with full intention to let them go after the elections. The GRU may simply get a phone call from OMON, stating as such, and nobody makes a fuss.

It seems that Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya is a lightning rod for everyone unhappy with the current regime. She was allowed to enter the elections because nobody took her seriously, unlike her husband. But basically all opposition groups are now unifying under her banner, and those combined numbers are scaring the poo poo out of the regime. Not that elections are fair to begin with, there is zero oversight or accountability, and Lukashenko gets to pencil in whatever numbers he wants

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 4, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Blursed.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/XSovietNews/status/1290971383976153088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

We've been working on a big investigation into the Internet Research Agency, something RIA FAN, based in the same building and linked to the IRA, go wind of a few weeks ago, resulting in some rather bizarre pushback. Last month they faked a bunch of direct messages from one of my colleagues at Bellingcat where he's threatening and trying to bribe RIA FAN's staff members to lie about the activities of RIA FAN. Our investigator had been using a pseudonym, Peter, in his investigation, and it seems RIA FAN got wind of it, looked for Peter's working for Bellingcat, found Pieter van Huis, and wrongly decided this was the Peter they were looking for and faked DMs from him.

We've still not published the investigation, so they appear to have got bored waiting and decided to organise a round table of everyone who was indicated by Robert Mueller for interference in the US 2016 election, which included Yevgeny Prigozhin, aka "Putin's Chef", the Russian businessman tied to Vladimir Putin who runs the Internet Research Agency. Here's the reason RIA FAN gives for arranging it:

quote:

We decided to organize the round table after the employees of the British edition of Bellingcat risked bribing the journalists of FAN, as well as the former and current authors of the USA Really agency. Colleagues talked about trying to pressure from the British resource, previously famous for regular fake and stuffing . The journalist, who introduced himself as Peter van Hughes, was trying to figure out how FAN and USA Really cover political events in the United States. He was particularly interested in whether the leadership is forcing them to publish materials that could have an impact on American society, especially in the run-up to the 2020 US presidential election.

Having received a negative answer to this and other provocative questions, van Hughes did not calm down. He changed his rhetoric and began to openly offer journalists for money to fabricate data that falsely testifies to Russian interference in the internal affairs of the United States.

After we brought van Hughes to clean water, Bellingcat changed the player, but the methods remained the same. On July 26, Bellingcat journalist Hristo Grozev posted a post on the social network, which announced the continued work on the investigation into the interference of the "troll factory" in the US elections in 2020. The next day, he posted several screenshots of the texts, which he said were excerpts from several essays written by future "trolls" when applying for a job at the Internet Research Agency.

To find out who and why were accused of the intervention of the US Department of Justice and the US Treasury, FAN gathered these people at one round table.

Jeyhun Nasimi Ogly Aslanov, the head of translation at the Internet Research Agency presented a devastatingly accurate portrayal of Bellingcat's work:

quote:

“I am sure that this time the situation will be the same. This Bellingcat reporter will show you a printout and say it is proof. But I can also do the same printout for him. Will this also be proof? " - Aslanov sneers.

Robert Bovda, manager of translation at the IRA points out it's all about the Benjamins at Bellingcat

quote:

“We first learned about the“ Internet Research Agency ”(in English - Internet Research Agency, IRA) from the media. We were very surprised. They also joked that they became world celebrities. Now, of course, not so funny. There are more and more accusations, and people like this Grozev only add fuel to the fire. I think they pay him a lot of money for this. Why else is he so trampling on the foundations of journalistic ethics? Only for money, ”said Robert.

Yevgeny Prigozhin, who rarely gives interviews, has plenty to say about our investigation:

quote:

“About the interference. The IRA does not exist. These are all falsifications of foreign intelligence services, made after the shameful defeat of Hillary Clinton in the presidential election. Therefore, Hristo Grozev from Bellingcat lays out various fakes that there is no one to refute. After all, there is no association of people about which they speak. In Russia, this is called falsification. We are ready to go to the courts of the Russian Federation and the United States, where, as my experience has shown, you can defend the truth.

There are new elections in the US now, and a bitter struggle is going on between Democrats and Republicans. Therefore, the topic of interference is being promoted again. This is done to minimize the consequences of Democratic mistakes. They need a new orgy in the media around Russian interference. Then no one will evaluate their own actions, ”concluded Yevgeny Prigozhin.

We'll hopefully be publishing this week with various international partners, and also doing something else in response to the fake direct messages, so it should be interesting to see how they respond to that.