Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wonder how often those things develop a little wear and start putting nicks or scratches into thousands of cards before anyone notices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Lone Goat posted:

Wait til this guy hears about guru lands

ya but wizards didnt intend for the guru lands to be a premium product they just became one organically

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

kalvanoo posted:

ya but wizards didnt intend for the guru lands to be a premium product they just became one organically

lmao dude cmon

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Lone Goat posted:

lmao dude cmon

i think they could have made full art fetches part of the box topper thing imo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
alright, started in on my personal stuff. turns out at some point apparently I traded for a box of like 500 random foreign cards, so maybe the person who got rid of their cards at that yard sale did something similar for the novelty of it. whole lotta Legends foreigns and some others like The Dark and Antiquities

some random rares and such that mostly were the remnants of the yard sale stuff, I think this is the last of it

some foils from my stuff

some unglued tokens and lands

some foreign cards that I THINK are rares or more noteworthy than like, fuckin' Marsh Vipers and poo poo, idk

a few inch thick stack of misc foreign Legends stuff but again, Marsh Vipers and poo poo

and again, I loving love Unglued

picked out the rares from my personal box, I'll take pictures of those later.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The goblin tokens are worth something. They are THE goblin token IMO.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, I like the unglued tokens over the new tokens that have stats and poo poo on them. just a picture of the critter, no fuss, no muss.

edit: gently caress yes. love these bad boys.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Don’t donate your bigass box to goodwill, and trick people like me who get super jazzed about seeing mtg at resale shops into buying a box of 20k commons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Captain Invictus posted:

Had a longbox full of misc cards, from baseball to Batman Forever to original legend of the five rings/star wars TCG/star trek TCG/warhammer 40k TCG/any other card-type things I own, and right at the end was a small stack of MTG rares.

The one between Stalking Stones and Pendrell Mists is a loving Strip Mine.

It's not worth a whole whole lot because you never need more than one - it's restricted in vintage and commander is singleton by nature - but that 4th Edition one still commands about a hefty $17. You might find someone willing to spend more because it's foreign.

Pendrell Mists is over $6 because, you guessed it, Commander, where it's an effect rarely seen in general and especially in blue. Altar of Dementia is $7 if you find a person after the old frame Tempest one specifically, as it's been reprinted twice. Crawlspace is inexplicably $8.

Captain Invictus posted:

alright, started in on my personal stuff. turns out at some point apparently I traded for a box of like 500 random foreign cards, so maybe the person who got rid of their cards at that yard sale did something similar for the novelty of it. whole lotta Legends foreigns and some others like The Dark and Antiquities

The artifacts from the Dark are Fellwar Stones. Due to their use in Commander, they stay pretty high for how many printings they have. The Dark ones are around $9 because of that old school factor.

That Legends artifact is Mana Matrix, which is nearly $30 bucks :psyduck:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The one between Stalking Stones and Pendrell Mists is a loving Strip Mine.

It's not worth a whole whole lot because you never need more than one - it's restricted in vintage and commander is singleton by nature - but that 4th Edition one still commands about a hefty $17. You might find someone willing to spend more because it's foreign.

Pendrell Mists is over $6 because, you guessed it, Commander, where it's an effect rarely seen in general and especially in blue. Altar of Dementia is $7 if you find a person after the old frame Tempest one specifically, as it's been reprinted twice. Crawlspace is inexplicably $8.

The artifacts from the Dark are Fellwar Stones. Due to their use in Commander, they stay pretty high for how many printings they have. The Dark ones are around $9 because of that old school factor.

That Legends artifact is Mana Matrix, which is nearly $30 bucks :psyduck:
inexplicable or not, if it means I can get something for'em then all the better. thanks for your determination in identification!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

good to see that mtg flavor text has always been groan worthy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I pity anyone who can't appreciate Unglued's earnest cheesiness

and literal cheesiness

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Don’t donate your bigass box to goodwill, and trick people like me who get super jazzed about seeing mtg at resale shops into buying a box of 20k commons.

Guy at my store a few years ago found a beta Underground Sea, Badlands, and Volc in one of those boxes.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I used to browse Goodwill's auction site and look for card lots and one time I saw a binder that was obviously an old rares binder, and the current bid was like $5000. Zoom in on the pictures and there on the second one, in a corner, was a signed lotus.

I got a couple of good deals on little packs of rares there years ago but shipping was a lot, and these days there are enough people watching it that everything shoots up to full value real quick so you'd have to hope for a hidden gem to break even now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Huh, thanks for this discussion of random old cards and linking dawnglare LifeLynx. It got me to grab my box of duplicate rares and just kinda sift through it... and I pulled out a fair bit worth that's just been sitting gathering dust. Is there any real difference between Cardkingdom and SSG buylists?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Nighthand posted:

I used to browse Goodwill's auction site and look for card lots and one time I saw a binder that was obviously an old rares binder, and the current bid was like $5000. Zoom in on the pictures and there on the second one, in a corner, was a signed lotus.

I got a couple of good deals on little packs of rares there years ago but shipping was a lot, and these days there are enough people watching it that everything shoots up to full value real quick so you'd have to hope for a hidden gem to break even now.

There’s a youtuber named tragicMTG that buys goodwill, Sal Val and eBay auctions then opens and scans all the good cards. He fast forwards through all the bulk poo poo. It’s fun to watch.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Captain Invictus posted:

some foils from my stuff

Love that plains, one of my favs. Foil invigorate is :10bux:.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bugsy posted:

Love that plains, one of my favs. Foil invigorate is :10bux:.
nice. I like the look of old foils better than new ones, new ones have integrated foiling with the artwork and in certain cases that looks better, but the rainbow sheen is much more subdued on it and if I'm getting unnecessary reflective foiling on my cards I want it to be as garish as possible

anyways I took pictures of the entire rare binder and the stack of rares from my personal deck box. lol I remember when Might of Oaks was a thing because I don't think +7+7 had been done before then. how quaint.

here's an album of the 32-odd pages of rares if you'd like to take a gander and see if anything's special

and the pile of rares from my own stuff:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
lmao old magic cards were (mostly) so awesome

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, though on the other hand, every humanoid from the original Mirrodin block.

(Okay, Turn to Dust is a funny card, but man do the Vedalkan have an awful design in the original block)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bust Rodd posted:

the difference in amount of variety with current mtg artwork and classic mtg artwork is stark. it's a drat shame. there's plenty of current artwork that is phenomenal of course, but nowhere near the amount of memorable stuff out there like the absolutely gorgeous barrage of visuals of Richard Kane Ferguson. All of his stuff could best be described as "windswept" and I loved it for it

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Captain Invictus posted:

nice. I like the look of old foils better than new ones, new ones have integrated foiling with the artwork and in certain cases that looks better, but the rainbow sheen is much more subdued on it and if I'm getting unnecessary reflective foiling on my cards I want it to be as garish as possible

Maybe you already know, but keep an eye out for 8th and 9th edition rare foils. The price multiplier is ridiculous on them. They're black border and the print run is small enough that there have been multiple buyout attempts on just about each of them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe you already know, but keep an eye out for 8th and 9th edition rare foils. The price multiplier is ridiculous on them. They're black border and the print run is small enough that there have been multiple buyout attempts on just about each of them.
I think I have posted pretty much everything at this point, unfortunately. unless there's yet another hidden, buried box somewhere, that's pretty much the last of it in regards to rares, foils, etc.

that a few cards in all of it are worth like 50 bucks is pretty cool. I'll eventually look up the prices on the lot of it, but for now, if there's anything that jumps out as ~special~ by all means let me know.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

That tetsuo umezawa is worth around 65 bucks too

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

the difference in amount of variety with current mtg artwork and classic mtg artwork is stark. it's a drat shame. there's plenty of current artwork that is phenomenal of course, but nowhere near the amount of memorable stuff out there like the absolutely gorgeous barrage of visuals of Richard Kane Ferguson. All of his stuff could best be described as "windswept" and I loved it for it

Such an awesome as hell card as a kid. Weird (at the time) effect, great art, cool name, odd casting cost.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I got some artist proofs from him last year. Arcane Denial, Nebuchadnezzar, and Boomerang, plus maybe some others I can't remember. I think Flux? They're some of the coolest cards I own, even if the Nebuchadnezzar is only the Chronicles version.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Speaking of older collections, I've noticed the price multiplier for foreign language cards seems to have reduced a bit in the last 8-9 years, is the inverse also true? I remember the prevailing wisdom at the time being Chinese cards being worth a bit less since they had the highest rate of counterfeits.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Mesmeric Orb getting reprinted in Double Masters :orb:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

suicidesteve posted:

I got some artist proofs from him last year. Arcane Denial, Nebuchadnezzar, and Boomerang, plus maybe some others I can't remember. I think Flux? They're some of the coolest cards I own, even if the Nebuchadnezzar is only the Chronicles version.
that's rad as hell. how much did those run you, if you don't mind me asking?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

that's rad as hell. how much did those run you, if you don't mind me asking?

$10 for most of them, Nebuchadnezzar was $20. Plus I threw a $20 his way for the signatures and for his time. One day I'll update all my collection pictures and post them in here again. I have a pretty good collection of Leviathans.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

IIRC Might of Oaks made The Duelist’s Top 10 cards in Urza’s Legacy back in the day, unlike Memory Jar, Tinker, Goblin Welder and I think several other eternally busted cards

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Captain Invictus posted:

They should do duel decks where all the cards in each deck are by the same artist. Put RFK up against Raymond Swanland and just wallow in the egregiously thematic styles until you pass out.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mat Cauthon posted:

They should do duel decks where all the cards in each deck are by the same artist. Put RFK up against Raymond Swanland and just wallow in the egregiously thematic styles until you pass out.

I've made a Rebecca Guay deck and an RK Post deck. Guay painted Enchanted Evening (all permanents are enchantments) and Calming Verse (destroy all enchantments you don't control), which is a hilarious one-two punch.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

C-Euro posted:

Mesmeric Orb getting reprinted in Double Masters :orb:

Hell ya, I jam it in so many EDH decks. Great that it’ll have a little more availability.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

anyways I took pictures of the entire rare binder and the stack of rares from my personal deck box. lol I remember when Might of Oaks was a thing because I don't think +7+7 had been done before then. how quaint.

here's an album of the 32-odd pages of rares if you'd like to take a gander and see if anything's special

and the pile of rares from my own stuff:

food chain appears to be $50+

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Love the box topper art for the swords. I know the price per box seemed a bit much when it was announced, but given all the chase cards stuffed into the set it probably would have been around $300 at launch anyway.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Mat Cauthon posted:

Don't forget the GOAT card art

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I'm thinking of picking up a commander deck. Is there any reason to pick one from 2020 over 2019? What I want is something fairly thematic and isn't laughably underpowered compared to what I'll meet when playing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As a serious Commander player the 2020 decks are roughly twice as powerful as the 2019 decks and the 2019 commanders SUUUUUUUUUUCK except for K’rrik, who is overpowered and cool.

Also the partner Commanders in the 2020 sets as well as the free spells have had a very serious impact on the format and the Jeskai and Temur decks have the chase rares from the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

elsha is a fun commander you take that back