Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
When are we getting real-time blowjobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Zzulu posted:

When are we getting real-time blowjobs

Right now. :smug:

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Doom eternal occasionally hits a sweet spot of fun and challenging but it is plagued with design issues.

Environments may feature sweeping vistas but may as well be corridors as they are corridoored by jumping platforms.

Marauders suck.

Doomguy feels more like Batman than doomguy with his assortment of gadgets.

Maybe I'm reaching here...but the adolescent male power fantasy made me a bit nauseous when the only non villain voiced female in the game starts worshipping you as a godlike figure. The other two (khan maker and olivia) are villains that make idiotic deals with demons.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Doom 2016 > Doom Eternal

Hell, Doom 64 > Doom Eternal

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

christmas boots posted:

Ray tracing is a lot less time consuming than traditional methods though, isn't it? For developers this should be a major time saver

I'm familiar with ray tracing in simulations of optical systems, is that what's actually happening here but applied to video game environments? If so that's really impressive

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

I'm familiar with ray tracing in simulations of optical systems, is that what's actually happening here but applied to video game environments? If so that's really impressive

Basically. The stuff that’s on the new consoles is likely not going to be as fancy as what you’d see on something with specialized hardware but it’s still pretty neat.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Chomp8645 posted:

Those aren't comparable statements at all.

Yes they are? Both are important parts of the presentation that dont affect gameplay at all. I'm mocking the dude for declaring the 3d on the 3ds a stupid gimmick because every game wasn't lovingly crafted such that the extra percieved depth on screen was a vital part of playing the game.

It was, on the whole, a net improvement and the only games that suffered for the option existing were the ones that slowed to a chug when you flipped it on.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FoolyCharged posted:

It was, on the whole, a net improvement and the only games that suffered for the option existing were the ones that slowed to a chug when you flipped it on.

i liked playing rpgs and poo poo and turning on the 3D mode at the minimum setting, because it made the text look like it was at double sharpness

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Yes they are?

This is a statement, they don't get question marks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

This is a statement, they don't get question marks.

This might blow your mind, but you can ask a question using a statement.

Metal Gear?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

it'll blow your mind when you learn that some people play videogames at low resolution and low quality graphics and still have fun. And thats ignoring the current resurgence of retro shooters like Dusk and Ion Fury and the like.

Fancier graphics do help with immersion, and the 3ds's 3d was not in any capacity immersive. I didn't feel like pokemon are real and I could relate more strongly with the trainer because it kinda looked like the pokeball flew into the background when I missed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Yes they are? Both are important parts of the presentation that dont affect gameplay at all. I'm mocking the dude for declaring the 3d on the 3ds a stupid gimmick because every game wasn't lovingly crafted such that the extra percieved depth on screen was a vital part of playing the game.

I can't speak for the other poster but if only a handful of games really used the 3D feature then that's basically the definition of a gimmick

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I can't speak for the other poster but if only a handful of games really used the 3D feature then that's basically the definition of a gimmick

Darn near every game made use of the 3D in some capacity. There's a handful of exceptions later on from games that really wanted the processing power, but for the most part you got to flip the switch and get a feeling of depth to the screen. It didn't change how many games played, but it was very much still there.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

it'll blow your mind when you learn that some people play videogames at low resolution and low quality graphics and still have fun. And thats ignoring the current resurgence of retro shooters like Dusk and Ion Fury and the like.

That... was kinda the point I was making? Graphics settings don't change how a game plays, that doesn't make them a gimmick.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Games should never have gone past S-video imo

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
animal crossing is a compulsive addiction not a video game

excuse me i need to go log in to do my dailies

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

“But it’s cute” is the typical defense but other great offenders in the “psychological control” field like MMOs aren’t quite so overt about loving with you.

Why does a raccoon get a pass for saying you need to pay off debt by straight up doing daily quests? In MMOs they release entire expansions built around constructing a framework for daily quests without overtly calling them as such. They write history and lore on who the titty elf is and why the daily quests will help win the war against some fantastically evil thing. They do this because gamers (pretend they) don’t like to be hosed with, so they feel the devs owe them poo poo. But in Animal crossing the raccoon just comes right out and says “you owe me like 50 daily quests”.

And I love it? Animal crossing makes no sense, man. I hate repeatable video game poo poo but I’ll catch a whole mess of bugs or whatever to pay for a grill that doesn’t work that nobody else will ever see in Animal Crossing.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Command and conquer/RA 1-3 (excluding Tiberian Sun which was unplayable garbage) is the best RTS game series ever, because the single player campaign is all that matters and RTS multiplayer is overanalysed solved-problem trash with minimal viable strategies (much like chess).

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Fashionable Jorts posted:

the fact that you could turn the 3d off on the 3ds and every game played exactly the same proved that, like everything nintendo does, it was just a gimmick sell more of them

i dont think this is fair, i remember seeing it for the first time and how incredible it looked. not many games took real advantage of it but that was also because of the reaction people had to how it made them sick (which seems, at least to me, kind of overblown and like something people just parrot), it was similar to the virtual boy in that way i guess except the 3ds was easier to roll back to being just a 2d system, but its a shame that people rejected it so casually

i also dont think the games necessarily need to take advantage of it gameplay wise, its fine if it just makes the games look more interesting

so what im saying really is that gimmicks are cool and i like them

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

gunpei yokoi really was a genius imo. im not much of a nintendo guy and the last console i owned was a gamecube but being a nintendo fan in the time when yokoi was actively making stuff was totally justified

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The 3DS stuff never gave me headaches but it straight up didn’t work for me because my stereoscopic vision is weird and it’s weird in that same way for like 10-15 percent of the population. So when I actually bought my own i saved the money and got a 2DS.

this is interesting by the way. do you get vertigo? i apparently have really good vision but i get horrific vertigo, but 3D and VR stuff seems to work very well for me. maybe it depends on your vision whether you like it or no

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Did people actually use or like the 3D feature om 3DS? It didn't do anything except make the screen blurry and harder to see (unless you held it both the system and your neck in exactly the right position which wasn't comfortable). Even on Mario 3D land it made it look and play worse. Honestly they should have just cut their losses and scrapped 3d and called it an enhanced DS or something

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I mostly kept the 3D off, but I ended up selling my 3DS and buying a 2DS anyways. A 2DS plus one of those bootleg DS cartridges with all the good games preloaded on is a very cheap and very enjoyable handheld experience.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The 3D effect was very underwhelming but not as underwhelming as either of the wiis or the switch

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

its weird to me how many people complain about 3d and vr features and say they cause headaches. most people seemed to turn off the insanely cool 3d function of the 3ds for this reason and hated the virtual boy because it caused headaches or they even get headaches from normal fps games. a lot of people say this but i dont get it, ive gotten a little dizzy from true vr but i could play 3ds for a couple hours with no problem

The 3DS 3D never gave me headaches but it was annoying having to hold the thing and focus my eyes just so to keep it working. The N3DS was a lot better about this, but it was still less work to just turn it off in most cases. There were also very few games besides a handful of first party titles that did anything interesting with it. By the time the N3DS came out non-Nintendo developers had pretty much completely moved on from trying to develop for the gimmick like they seem to do for all of Nintendo's gimmicks.

I don't even know what to say about not understanding people getting headaches. That's like saying you don't understand it when people say they have a peanut allergy. First imagine what it's like to have a headache, then imagine this happens to you when you play those games.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The 3DS stuff never gave me headaches but it straight up didn’t work for me because my stereoscopic vision is weird and it’s weird in that same way for like 10-15 percent of the population. So when I actually bought my own i saved the money and got a 2DS.

I think Nintendo is on record as saying that is why they actually limited themself and DIDN'T require 3D in any of their titles. Like the Mario 3D Land puzzles that hide blocks behind blocks (which is obvious in 3D mode, but tough to make out when the 3D slider is off) all have a button you can hot to readjust the camera.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Every major shift in graphics in the last 15 years has been a gimmick just to hype up new hardware.
All the chip design and hard number-crunchy programming that goes into making new graphics techniques like raytracing work is really impressive from a technical perspective
but it doesn't really make the games better games.

It doesn't help that all the devs that are obsessed with new graphics technologies are also obsessed with "photorealism", which is the most boring possible graphical style.

Like look at this video:

They toggle raytracing effects on and off in each of the shots and yeah it looks different but not really different enough to be worth caring about. If I was playing a game and that raytracing feature turned itself off one day, I wouldn't even notice it was off to go into the menu and turn it back on.

people have made this same argument since the dawn of time but absolutely nobody would accept giving up all the dumb incrimental changes in graphics and going back to everything in the quake 2 engine

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

poverty goat posted:

people have made this same argument since the dawn of time but absolutely nobody would accept giving up all the dumb incrimental changes in graphics and going back doing to everything in the quake 2 engine

I dunno man, DUSK di quite well

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I like pretty graphics. It's nice when things look nice.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

people have made this same argument since the dawn of time but absolutely nobody would accept giving up all the dumb incrimental changes in graphics and going back to everything in the quake 2 engine

i would totally go back to Quake 2 graphics. i played Minecraft for years i dont give a gently caress about graphics or ray trace or whatever. its all about the gameplay

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ok grandpa

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont care for graphics that are technically impressive but i welcome any kind of originality in games including visual originality

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Shibawanko posted:

i dont care for graphics that are technically impressive but i welcome any kind of originality in games including visual originality

You're only a couple years of maturing past video games at all now.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

jokes posted:

“But it’s cute” is the typical defense but other great offenders in the “psychological control” field like MMOs aren’t quite so overt about loving with you.

Why does a raccoon get a pass for saying you need to pay off debt by straight up doing daily quests? In MMOs they release entire expansions built around constructing a framework for daily quests without overtly calling them as such. They write history and lore on who the titty elf is and why the daily quests will help win the war against some fantastically evil thing. They do this because gamers (pretend they) don’t like to be hosed with, so they feel the devs owe them poo poo. But in Animal crossing the raccoon just comes right out and says “you owe me like 50 daily quests”.

And I love it? Animal crossing makes no sense, man. I hate repeatable video game poo poo but I’ll catch a whole mess of bugs or whatever to pay for a grill that doesn’t work that nobody else will ever see in Animal Crossing.

i both love and hate it. i'm obsessed with collecting things as well as the placement and organization of objects so it's right up my alley. But i'm also confronted with the reality that the inventory/crafting system in Fallout 4 (which was basically just a Minecraft rip-off) is better than the one in the game....made for this.

I should be able to make stuff at the crafting table if its stored in my overall inventory. In fact the DIY tables should just serve as accessible inventory outlets. The fact you have to pull whatever ingredients you need from inventory and put them in your character's pockets and then head over to the DIY table, then store it all back at the end is some bullshit. There's so much fluff time inserted into the game with how intentionally inconvenient it has been designed. Also - let me sort my pockets with one-button.

I love catching the bugs but since there's only a handful I've got most of 'em. For me, AC is just....an inventory management game. And not even a very good one at that. If it wasn't cute as the dickens, I'd be done with it.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 29, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The people who do graphics programming are not the same people who do gameplay programming, they’ve specialized in it for years and it’s usually their main job at medium-large game companies.

You could say they should hire more gameplay programmers instead of the graphics programmers, but it turns out graphics do to some degree sell, and usually issues in video game development are not stemming mostly from “gosh we didn’t hire enough people”.

It gets more interesting when you look at something like Unreal Engine, which is a whole separate division from any games division at epic, is a good moneymaker, and is used for an increasing number of non-game applications that favour graphics — such as real time movie and tv compositing (I think the mandalorian is a client, for one).

Motion blur though. Motion blur in most games is an absolute gimmick and looks like poo poo. I instantly turn it off of every first and third person shooter I play because it does nothing but drag the gameplay down.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ikanreed posted:

You're only a couple years of maturing past video games at all now.

i dunno what this means!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I inject motion blur into games that don't have it :v:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Rutibex posted:

i would totally go back to Quake 2 graphics. i played Minecraft for years i dont give a gently caress about graphics or ray trace or whatever. its all about the gameplay

Agree with this.

Nice graphics are cool but the second you compromise gameplay for them you are dead to me, developers, dead.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

But Minecraft and Q2 have rt

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I wish GSC would just cancel this Stalker 2 stuff and stop getting my hopes up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

piratepilates posted:

It gets more interesting when you look at something like Unreal Engine, which is a whole separate division from any games division at epic, is a good moneymaker, and is used for an increasing number of non-game applications that favour graphics — such as real time movie and tv compositing (I think the mandalorian is a client, for one).

Oh yeah, Unreal is being used for a lot of VFX stuff now, it's becoming pretty standard. With how much of tv and movies are just graphics, them and games are somewhat starting to merge with the main difference being how interactive they are. Oh, and in tv/film we are lucky enough to have a stationary camera so we can get away with building only two walls for a shot, etc.

For AC, their biggest problem is they have concentrated so much on packing it with cute assets, the gameplay has been left by the wayside. But goddamn the sheer amount of effort into all the tiny animations of stuff like espresso machines working etc, it is admirable.

I just wish there was more bc clicking A over and over on these things gets old.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 29, 2020