Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Violen posted:

I think my eyes are actually bleeding out

Nah this ones easy, move the bottom ring right then the top ring rightwards.

the real rear end gently caress is probably the second fish row from the top...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I read everything captain . t ode* says in xander mobus's voice for the conductor from a hat in time

*not to be confused with captain toad or sea captain toad

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Al-Saqr posted:

Nah this ones easy, move the bottom ring right then the top ring rightwards.

the real rear end gently caress is probably the second fish row from the top...

no it's an easy puzzle but it's a visual nightmare

it's such a visual nightmare they brought signposting back even though fights have mostly left that behind by now, which is what makes it easy (the angry fish and the non-angry ones group up cleanly)

if this was just a bunch of poker-faced fish I'd probably die

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
speaking of no signposting this is the hardest puzzle I've encountered yet I think

https://i.imgur.com/DuYcMum.mp4

maybe it's just brain rot but I had to pump as much as I won into this for the time I needed to solve it

sorry to turn this into an LP of throwaway random encounters, I just got a little taken aback to have these back-to-back from unassuming fish

EDIT: actually on second thought if I'd just reversed things they would've grouped up perfectly so I'm going to go ahead and call it brain rot

Violen fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 28, 2020

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
so the great sea is just an entire game on its own huh

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Augus posted:

while I mostly like the bosses they sometimes throw in these really annoying curveball gotcha moments that piss me off.
like, once the phoenix boss is left vulnerable to 1,000-fold Arms your first instinct is to immediately grab that and beat the poo poo out of him before your window closes, right? But if you do that, the boss survives the attack and then heals himself all the way back to full, gently caress you, start over. The arms need to be the final hit or else they don't work. There's no indication of this.

There is! Olivia says you need to watch your timing, which I took to mean I need to shake the controller faster. She meant waiting until it’s the final kill.

Had to google that 😤

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Violen posted:

so the great sea is just an entire game on its own huh

It's great it's one of my favorite parts of the game. Definitely gonna stick out in my memory.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the game's been really good about shifting the central structure of each 'chapter' in playful and significant ways

also the song for when you're cruising about belongs up there with any of the airship theme greats IMO

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

They're misidentifying the problem.

Battles don't feel rewarding and the gameplay itself isn't fun enough to warrant wanting to play it on its own. The combination means that the fights feel like chores to do rather than enjoyable parts of the game.

You can get away with one or the other a lot of the time. People will often spend lots of time doing boring stuff if they think it will lead to something good and equally people will play fun things with no reward happily. But when you've got this combination it's just awful.

I've just finished up with the desert but I really just don't want to play the game any more because I have to get through the gameplay to actually get to the interesting parts like the fun dances or boss fights.

Idk I feel like the majority of the time I'm doing something I enjoy. The proportion of "random" encounters to everything else in the game is quite low. I don't feel like the regular enemies are all that engaging to fight, which is a downside, but it's not any less interesting than how I feel about most JRPG random encounters. Basically I've played games that didn't execute on the story/exploration/world stuff as well, with more annoying random encounters, and still enjoyed those games overall. In terms of the reward structure, I feel it's pretty well tuned. I've run into "big purchases" a few times so far and every time I end up with a cushion of a few thousand coins, which in this game is a handful of enemy encounters; that feels about right.

If you aren't enjoying the dialogue, environments, music, and secrets, I can see why you don't like the game. It's really kind of an adventure-game lite, I can't put my finger on exactly why but smacking the hammer around corners of the environment is still yielding fun and rewarding results for me. The writing and level design is smart and fun.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Overall, I think this game is just as good as any top-tier Mario rpg. It's certainly different, and I'd think it would only be better with xp/actual depth and character customization in the battles/adding unique designs to characters, but as an overall package it's the 8 or 9 out of 10 I'd give all the best Mario rpgs.

My biggest Mario rpg hot take is not only is Thousand Year Door not the zenith of Mario rpgs, but it isn't even close. I feel like fans of that game only give lip service to how bad the backtracking is but as someone who played that game for the first time a couple years ago, the non-combat gameplay in that game is absolutely abysmal. By the time I was doing Chapter 5 where I was (again!) walking left to right over and over again and fighting literally the same enemy overworld sprites that respawn as you go back and forth I seriously considered just quitting the game. No amount of unique characters can actually save that game in my view. In contrast, the non-combat gameplay of Origami King was genuinely fun for me to play through (besides Mario's walking speed being kind of slow). I would never say Thousand Year Door is better than Origami King (even though it has more interesting characters and more depth to keep battles engaging) when what you're doing outside of the battles is so actively not fun to play in one of them and generally a fun delight in the other. I would roughly put what I've played in the following tiers (haven't played dream team or paper jam):

Tier One: Paper Mario, Origami King, Superstar Saga, Mario RPG (SNES)
Tier Two: Thousand Year Door, Color Splash, Bowser's Inside Story
Tier Three: Super Paper Mario, Partners in Time
Genuinely a bad game: Sticker Star

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

100% complete! somewhat surprisingly, the worst trophy of the lot is the fishing one. those rare fish have a spawn rate that's so low, i got like 30 minutes into a youtube video i put on before i got both of them and the one treasure i was missing. so you basically have to pass the time some other way while waiting but simultaneously have to pay enough attention to, you know, actually catch the drat things when they show up. awful design.

otherwise super enjoyable. even getting shy guys finish last perfect was kinda fun when i knew what i was doing. it is also infuriatingly long if you need to restart towards the end though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

How tough is the eddy river coin thing, I only did it the one time but it seems like a massive pain?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

eh, it's not that hard. i did it second try. the river isn't wide and the boat isn't fast.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

100% complete! somewhat surprisingly, the worst trophy of the lot is the fishing one. those rare fish have a spawn rate that's so low, i got like 30 minutes into a youtube video i put on before i got both of them and the one treasure i was missing. so you basically have to pass the time some other way while waiting but simultaneously have to pay enough attention to, you know, actually catch the drat things when they show up. awful design.

otherwise super enjoyable. even getting shy guys finish last perfect was kinda fun when i knew what i was doing. it is also infuriatingly long if you need to restart towards the end though.

Did you just keep fishing or did you back in and out to reset the spawns? The latter strategy is what I did and it took me about 5 minutes, but I may have gotten insanely lucky.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tender Bender posted:

How tough is the eddy river coin thing, I only did it the one time but it seems like a massive pain?

Took me like 6 or 7 tries. But I had it almost perfect by the third try and kept messing up at the end. I kept jumping early or late

Pro-tip: If you need to hit the brakes hammer your own boat.

Also which fishing spots are the legendary at?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Took me like 6 or 7 tries. But I had it almost perfect by the third try and kept messing up at the end. I kept jumping early or late

Pro-tip: If you need to hit the brakes hammer your own boat.

Also which fishing spots are the legendary at?

Full moon island

The eddy river took me like 10 tries, I also kept loving up the jumps at the end. I also hosed up the large whirlpool a couple times.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Did you just keep fishing or did you back in and out to reset the spawns? The latter strategy is what I did and it took me about 5 minutes, but I may have gotten insanely lucky.
just sat there and waited. makes sense that it would be faster that way if it changes the spawns in the area instantly instead of slowly one by one.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thanks, gonna save Eddy till the end if I decide to 100 percent this.

So It Goes posted:

My biggest Mario rpg hot take is not only is Thousand Year Door not the zenith of Mario rpgs, but it isn't even close. I feel like fans of that game only give lip service to how bad the backtracking is but as someone who played that game for the first time a couple years ago, the non-combat gameplay in that game is absolutely abysmal. By the time I was doing Chapter 5 where I was (again!) walking left to right over and over again and fighting literally the same enemy overworld sprites that respawn as you go back and forth I seriously considered just quitting the game. No amount of unique characters can actually save that game in my view. In contrast, the non-combat gameplay of Origami King was genuinely fun for me to play through (besides Mario's walking speed being kind of slow). I would never say Thousand Year Door is better than Origami King (even though it has more interesting characters and more depth to keep battles engaging) when what you're doing outside of the battles is so actively not fun to play in one of them and generally a fun delight in the other. I would roughly put what I've played in the following tiers (haven't played dream team or paper jam):

As someone who loves ttyd but never went back to replay it, I'd guess that a lot of its reception is due to its timing. Nintendo wasn't exactly swimming in rpg's at the time, and that was also before it was pretty common for games to try to be witty or funny like ttyd was. I remember being really surprised that a game made me laugh.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tbh I like Origami King a lot but don’t see myself replaying it any time soon. it’s just really easy to get burnt out on the battle system. if the combat were like the first two games it’d be one of the best in the series

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

man i just don't understand that opinion at all. like for starters if the combat was different the whole game would be designed very differently in the first place. you couldn't just rip out the combat system and replace it without consequence.

and secondly it's good actually

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

So It Goes posted:

Overall, I think this game is just as good as any top-tier Mario rpg. It's certainly different, and I'd think it would only be better with xp/actual depth and character customization in the battles/adding unique designs to characters, but as an overall package it's the 8 or 9 out of 10 I'd give all the best Mario rpgs.

Tier One: Paper Mario, Origami King, Superstar Saga, Mario RPG (SNES)
Tier Two: Thousand Year Door, Color Splash, Bowser's Inside Story
Tier Three: Super Paper Mario, Partners in Time
Genuinely a bad game: Sticker Star

dream team was a horrible slog and from what i heard paper jam was even worse

ttyd also really stepped back on the coziness of pm64 which was one of its biggest strengths imo

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I spent the week leading up to the release playing through color splash for the first time, I can't say OK was disappointing for me in any way. They're all different games in my head.

I think I just love the whole series primarily for it being a funny, often self-aware Mario universe that's totally different from the platformers. The battle system is something I care least about, so I guess I'm lucky. OK felt like an awesome great big adventure to me, I think the characters and writing was stronger in color splash.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Augus posted:

if the combat were like the first two games it’d be one of the best in the series

"if the combat were more of a slog I'd like it a lot more"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Speed Rings is just kicking my rear end. I got to 12 once

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I do think this game would be better with combat being entirely action based aside from bosses. Like the end sequence for the blue streamer area.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

dream team was a horrible slog and from what i heard paper jam was even worse
nah they're fine and paper jam is better than dream team

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The combat systems of 64/TTYD and OK are very different, so I'm not really surprised people bounce off of OK's combat hard. I don't mind it, but there are definitely some things that could have been improved on that front.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dream team never found a single joke or dungeon gimmick that it wasn't comfortable repeating twenty more times and the battles were absolutely interminable

the last few dungeons had normal enemy mobs that took more time and effort than anything in BiS save the bonus boss

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i do agree, it's like literally twice as long as it needs to be but i did still enjoy it overall

paper jam is *much* breezier both in battle and out and also introduces interesting twists on the series tried and true combat system with the third party member and the battle cards.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I never beat Partners in Time because the final boss just has too much goddamn HP

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh is this where i get to tell you that in the NA version of partners in time they increased the health of most bosses in the game by a factor of about 1.5x for no reason at all

being from finland i always wondered why that was a common complaint about the game before i learned this.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

For some reason the first 2 Mario and Luigi games released in NA were based off of an earlier fork of the game. In Superstar Saga this resulted in some slight imbalance and missing QOL stuff the other regions got. For Partners in Time... it resulted in massively imbalanced enemies, and some bosses missing parts of their AI. So many fights in the NA version of PIT take considerably longer to get through.

The aforementioned final boss has 3500 and 3000 HP in NA versions. In other regions, they have 1800 and 2000 HP instead. Yeah.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 29, 2020

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I slid off of Paper Jam during the gauntlet before the final boss, just because every fight felt like it took forever and a day (and I have terrible reflexes, which isn't very good for the action-based Mario and Luigi system). Combine that with feeling pretty repetitive (the only reason to not use the best Bros/Trio Attack you had at the time was because the other ones were difficult to use, at least for me) and it just... wasn't a fun time.

Which is why I like the ring battle system, for the record. It's not as good as, say, Paper Mario 64's badge system in keeping things interesting, but having the little puzzles to do to complete combat was at least more interesting than just figuring out "should I jump or hammer?".

...I'd kill for more games with badge systems like that, though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I dunno I feel repetitive combat is an issue here too. The puzzle's definitely get harder but when it gets to the rpg side of things there's not much sense of progression. All your attacks just kind of get flat upgrades (partners too really) so you're doing pretty similar things the whole time. The music and the enemies do the hard work in giving variety to the fights and they help but it's still underwhelming.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm a big fan of the M&L battles and I think it's the most engaging system of any of the Mario RPG types. It feels much more satisfying and much more Mario to see the brothers jump and evade, than to press A at a somewhat arbitrary frame and hope you chose the correct timing (at least in OK Mario actually does a blocking animation to show you what you're doing).

That said, I can't think of any RPG where I've enjoyed grinding for exp more than I've enjoyed engaging with the story and overworld, and the Mario ones are no exception, even TTYD. Once you've seen what enemies have to "offer", it just gets annoying to have to deal with enemies, and the effect is more pronounced on M&L because the animations on both sides of battle take so long to pull off and are just boring once you've mastered them. I like the battles in OK because of the puzzle solving, but I appreciate that you don't level here because once I've tired of twisting rings for the day, I can just avoid a lot of enemies without having to worry about missing out on sweet sweet exp.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Some of y’all never used fire/ice flowers, tails or POW blocks and it shows.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I actually literally never used a tail come to think of it

I did use the others a fair amount

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shiny tail does 30 damage. By the time you get them they aren't really worth using.

Shiny Flowers are good though, especially for anything that carries something above its head

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The tails are mainly for encounters where enemies can be put into a 2x2 formation, but are immune to the hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Araxxor posted:

The tails are mainly for encounters where enemies can be put into a 2x2 formation, but are immune to the hammer.

So Ninji and ...?

I used them for variety’s sake. Anyway flowers are good because they got elemental weaknesses which some enemies do, in fact, have.