Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

haveblue posted:

New rumored PS5 feature: Deep links. Games will somehow integrate with the system menus so you could, for example, press "launch and start playing this mode" instead of launch, wait, and then pick the mode from the in-game menu.

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1288086737395253252

Ohhh this I like. Every game that's able should have a "just launch and gently caress around" mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I see Greedfall and Outward are both on sale. Are either worth the price?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BonoMan posted:

Ohhh this I like. Every game that's able should have a "just launch and gently caress around" mode.

Maybe not gently caress around, but the vast majority of the time if I boot up a singleplayer game it's going to be the Continue option I pick so going into it right away would be great. And with loading times in general being lower maybe I'll use Rest Mode less!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If they really want to speed up game launch they'd ban unskippable logos or generally cap the number of noninteractive screens between boot and menu

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
How is Tetris Effect if I'm generally not great at Tetris? Thinking about putting my free :10bux: towards it as it's on sale.

Are there general chill modes where I can just :350: and drop some blocks, not having to worry about it getting faster or dying?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

mysterious frankie posted:

Can't speak for Outward, but Greedfall is probably the best Bioware game to come out since ME3.

Edit: You may need a bit of a tolerance for eurojank in your games. It's less than usual in Greedfall though.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Can't speak for Outward, but Greedfall is probably the best Bioware game to come out since ME3.

Edit: You may need a bit of a tolerance for eurojank in your games. It's less than usual in Greedfall though.

More, less or as janky as The Sinking City? I just finished that and it was a mess, but playable. Definitely not overly complicated or burdened by weird controls or confusing gameplay systems, but definitely janky.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

haveblue posted:

If they really want to speed up game launch they'd ban unskippable logos or generally cap the number of noninteractive screens between boot and menu

Launch straight into a Free For All Match with BINK VIDEO overlaid on the screen for ten seconds while you get shot to pieces

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lobok posted:

Maybe not gently caress around, but the vast majority of the time if I boot up a singleplayer game it's going to be the Continue option I pick so going into it right away would be great. And with loading times in general being lower maybe I'll use Rest Mode less!

Yeah for me I was thinking Forza (Xbox I know) where you start it up and then there's 8 million menus that you have to sort of back out of just to get to "drive care around" and it would be nice to skip right to that.

BUTTTT

haveblue posted:

This will likely get in the way of a lot of "instant-ness" of the feature. This kinda thing is typically baked into licensing and contracts and it's going to be super hard to convince any dev, distributor or 3rd party plugin licensor that the user should have the ability to skip your logo.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
This is one of those features a few games will implement at launch to stand out then will slowly get forgotten.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Alright next up: samurai on a motorcycle

Would totally play the hell out of an Into The Badlands game in the engine GoT used!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Escobarbarian posted:

Days Gone has a character called Lynchman. What is this, a Hideo Kojima game?

Spider-Man has a black character named "Jefferson Davis" :geno:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Apparently for people living in countries covered by GDPR you can get Sony to send you your entire PlayStation usage history (or maybe only PS4?). Remains to be seen if it is doable in other countries that similar privacy/data collection legislation. Maybe eventually instead of fielding one-off requests they could make it available for users to look into or download themselves.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

More, less or as janky as The Sinking City? I just finished that and it was a mess, but playable. Definitely not overly complicated or burdened by weird controls or confusing gameplay systems, but definitely janky.

Muuuch less. Like, the animations are rough at times, and there are certainly imbalances between certain styles of combat (like, one half of the two magic spells you get isn't very useful at all), and maybe some skills are underutilized, but the gameplay itself is solid. I've only gotten maybe halfway through the game so far but I'm quite liking it.

Feb 2, 2005
Got a bad ending in Obra Dinn. Gonna dive right into another playthrough now that I know more than I did before.

Fabulous game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Quote posted:

Got a bad ending in Obra Dinn. Gonna dive right into another playthrough now that I know more than I did before.

Fabulous game.

You know you can just continue right from where you left off, and keep solving it from there. You don't have to start over and unlock all the scenes again

Feb 2, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

You know you can just continue right from where you left off, and keep solving it from there. You don't have to start over and unlock all the scenes again

I know that, but I think letting everything unfold again is better for the way my brain works. This is already proving true because an hour in I've solved two I didn't have before.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Muuuch less. Like, the animations are rough at times, and there are certainly imbalances between certain styles of combat (like, one half of the two magic spells you get isn't very useful at all), and maybe some skills are underutilized, but the gameplay itself is solid. I've only gotten maybe halfway through the game so far but I'm quite liking it.

Sold!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I played Days Gone for maybe two hours today and there were three separate missions where I went somewhere and talked to someone for ten seconds and that was it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BonoMan posted:

This will likely get in the way of a lot of "instant-ness" of the feature. This kinda thing is typically baked into licensing and contracts and it's going to be super hard to convince any dev, distributor or 3rd party plugin licensor that the user should have the ability to skip your logo.

True, but they could compromise on putting all the logos on a single screen. Some games have a parade of 3 or 4 logos each with their own lifetime and fade in/out period, and it adds up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

I played Days Gone for maybe two hours today and there were three separate missions where I went somewhere and talked to someone for ten seconds and that was it

Wait until the 5th time you finish a quest and the questlord will say "I'll call you when i think of something else for you to do" and then you get on your bike and drive literally out the front gate and they will radio you like they haven't seen you in weeks, and then when you actually turn around and go talk to them sometimes the dialogue will actually behave as though it's been days when you literally just saw them this morning.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

haveblue posted:

True, but they could compromise on putting all the logos on a single screen. Some games have a parade of 3 or 4 logos each with their own lifetime and fade in/out period, and it adds up.

Yep and that sort of screen exclusivity is all part of the deals and contract too. Reminds of me feature films and dealing with all the specifics of that. Credit sequences can end up being goddamn petty political nightmares when building because of all the poo poo people have specified.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Wait until the 5th time you finish a quest and the questlord will say "I'll call you when i think of something else for you to do" and then you get on your bike and drive literally out the front gate and they will radio you like they haven't seen you in weeks, and then when you actually turn around and go talk to them sometimes the dialogue will actually behave as though it's been days when you literally just saw them this morning.

I swear the game does stuff like this all the time. One mission I did started with Rikki talking to me like “so, you and Mike went to look into trapping hordes in caves, eh???” and then five minutes later she’s asking me “so what did you and Mike get up to before?” and when I explained it she acted like she’d never heard about it before

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

then when you actually turn around and go talk to them sometimes the dialogue will actually behave as though it's been days when you literally just saw them this morning.

Hey buddy, the clue was in the title of the game

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Bust Rodd posted:

Fast traveling really seems to confuse the messages too. I'd finish a quest and fast travel across the map, and have to hear three stacked-up messages, often with two completely separate ones from the same person.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYieIycu8Gs

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

gonna buy cuphead to support these devs who brought their creative game to my system of choice

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

gonna buy cuphead to support these devs who brought their creative game to my system of choice

the real Dark Souls starts here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBE8sh7nv4s

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Skater XL is loving dope. That is all.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm still waiting for the physical release, which is coming when Delicious Last Course is finished!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Policenaut posted:

Skater XL is loving dope. That is all.

I was worried it is poo poo since it seems no review copies went out. If you could give some thoughts on it that would be sweet but loving dope is good enough for me.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

haveblue posted:

Guerilla games actually managed to do that for killzone shadowfall. They also mentioned it was a bit of a pain to get everyone to agree to it

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

jabro posted:

I was worried it is poo poo since it seems no review copies went out. If you could give some thoughts on it that would be sweet but loving dope is good enough for me.

I haven't played a Skating game in a long time but I'm really enjoying it these past few hours.

It's a very chill, low intensity skate game with some very deep, complex controls going on. It's similar to Skate that you're flicking sticks and holding shoulder buttons to do rotations and grabs. It can get pretty complicated sometimes because you primarily steer left and right with the triggers (you can do it with left stick too) so I'm like "Okay I need to hold down on the right stick to crouch, lift up and to the right for the flip move, hold the trigger for the rotation, press the shoulder button for the grab, make sure I land it right." But it feels really satisfying when I get an idea for a trick and it works. There's that similar weightiness to it that Skate has, and a lot of the challenge is finding your own stuff to trick and grind off of. To that extent, they give you the ability to instantly pick a new place in the level and pick it as your spawn point, or you can press Down to create a spawn point underneath you and teleport to it instantly with Up. If you see a cool rail circle just set up your checkpoint and fiddle around with it! The game does have some structured objectives going on though, as each of the eight maps (5 official, 3 fan-made) have their own series of Challenges you can play that teach you how to perform specific tricks/grinds/grabs/etc so if you want to learn all the intricate moves or challenge yourself to some more difficult trick lines you can do that too. I like these so far, just helping me figure out what I can do in these worlds. There's no online (yet, I assume it's coming) so I'm just floating around these environs doing kickflips and grinds, but if you're expecting any kind of open group Skate like in the skate games you're gonna be disappointed.

For customization there's a decent bit of change going on here but nothing on the level of Skate. You have a basic Male/Female base model that you can change skin color, hair w/ hair color, hat, top, bottom, shoes, board bottoms, board top, trucks, and wheel, plus a handful of real life skaters to play as too. It's a little fun to play dress up but again, not as fun as Skate and it's also pretty cumbersome to fiddle through because it has mad hitching at times between selections. An awful lot of licensed merch for you to pick and choose from. I really like the soundtrack too, it's a very low key mix of alt-rock, rap, and chill lo-fi beats to grind to. Big downfall to this is that there's no jukebox mode and you apparently can't skip past/seek tracks so if I want to listen to this awesome Kratos Himself song again I have to wait for it to come back up on the playlist.

Performance seems pretty solid for the most part. The standard gameplay seems to run just fine, but it occasionally to get stuttery in places. It's nothing debilitating but every so often I notice a stutter.

All-in-all, it seems like a really cool experience if you want a game you can just throw on and do some kickflips in. There's not a whole lot for the objective-minded person or those who like online interaction but I'm enjoying learning these tricks and finding cool places to work them together in.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

When did this new destroy all humans come out. I swear I've heard nothing about it since they said they were making a new one

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Like 6 hours ago. There hasn't been much advertising for it. The demo played well.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
The THPS 1+2 remaster also apperently has a bunch of brand new songs, this video has all of them
https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/1288272535054774272

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gaius Marius posted:

When did this new destroy all humans come out. I swear I've heard nothing about it since they said they were making a new one

It's a remaster, isn't it?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The THPS 1+2 remaster also apperently has a bunch of brand new songs, this video has all of them
https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/1288272535054774272

Noice, I think this is more my speed than the Skate types

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
It also has this, which might actually be the most appropriate song for the game ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kecW5p0b5I

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

I like Outward well enough. But it has some caveats. The first is the game is really janky, and can kind of feel empty a lot of times.

But it is coop, both online and split screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Orange Crush Rush posted:

It also has this, which might actually be the most appropriate song for the game ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kecW5p0b5I

holy poo poo