Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No and yes. I didn't mean Doom 3 was terrible only that it was a terrible disappointment.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mordja posted:

The venn diagram for Doom 3 apologists and Prequel apologists is a flat circle.

All three prequels are more enjoyable than Doom 3

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

As much as I didn't like the monster redesigns in nuDooms the ones in Doom 3 were a travesty. It's like they were embarrassed to have actual demons.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The cacodemon peaked in doom and it's been tragic downgrades ever since.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 28, 2020

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The cacodemon peaked in doom and it's been tragic downgrades ever since.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the hell knight in doom 3 is dope though, to the point where even doom 2016 brought it forward

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nope gotta have a goat head and goat legs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

Nope gotta have a goat head and goat legs.

I like that they aren't just desaturated barons any more

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah they got the color scheme wrong too.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Duke 3d's enforcer is at least as infuriating (and takes far more bullets) than Blood's cultists.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Speaking of Doom, I'm about 7 hours in Eternal and am having more fun with it. I turned it down to "Hurt me Plenty" and approached it as if I never played "Doom 16" which means forcing myself to learn Flame Belch/Chainsaw/Ice Grenades/Blood Punch and when to use them.

The game is definitely rough at the start, kind of like an old school RPG oddly enough. But once you unlock a few weapon / suite upgrades, and you get more weapons in general so you can more easily take down the big guys, its much more manageable.

Fights are still frantic as gently caress, to the point where I can only play for maybe 1-2 hours before needing a break, but now that I am in the rhythm of the combat loop it is very enjoyable.

I still wish there was less "story" as I don't care about any of it, and for the most part the platforming is fine but it still gets a tad ridiculous. I also wish I could "build" up the chainsaw like you could in 2016 and use them on the big Demons. The fact that you can really only chainsaw the lesser ones sucks. The blood punch is fine, but too often I accidentally use it on the smaller Demons because I'm so focused trying to rip/tear the staggered ones for a desperately-needed health boost.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

The venn diagram for Doom 3 apologists and Prequel apologists is a flat circle.

man why you gota attack people?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

The Kins posted:

I have to wonder what you're basing this on, since MS/Xbox seems more interested in releasing new things rather than re-releasing old things. Sure, Master Chief Collection got a PC port, but it took an entire console generation of patching and kajoling to make it happen, and Age of Empires was openly testing the waters for a new game (and, since it went so well, an entire new studio)

In the grand scheme of things we have good contacts with 'em. It would certainly make it easier to discuss. There was always someone excited when we started pushing Turok or Forsaken to the Xbox.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Rocket Pan posted:

In the grand scheme of things we have good contacts with 'em. It would certainly make it easier to discuss. There was always someone excited when we started pushing Turok or Forsaken to the Xbox.

clapping like a seal over here

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

Sure, Master Chief Collection got a PC port, but it took an entire console generation of patching and kajoling to make it happen

isn't this largely because the codebase for the non-343 Halo games is a complete loving mess?

like, the sheer level of jank that PC MCC launched with is kind of astounding.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I also wish I could "build" up the chainsaw like you could in 2016 and use them on the big Demons. The fact that you can really only chainsaw the lesser ones sucks. The blood punch is fine, but too often I accidentally use it on the smaller Demons because I'm so focused trying to rip/tear the staggered ones for a desperately-needed health boost.

You sort of can, in the sense if you baby the regnerating pip + 2 more pips you can use to kill a heavy demon. The issue is it a) still doesn't work on super heavies and b) this isn't reliable. You'll get a weapon right near the end of the game that will work how you want the chainsaw to work.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Barudak posted:

You sort of can, in the sense if you baby the regnerating pip + 2 more pips you can use to kill a heavy demon. The issue is it a) still doesn't work on super heavies and b) this isn't reliable. You'll get a weapon right near the end of the game that will work how you want the chainsaw to work.

It feels like they wanted to remove the chainsaws ability to kill large demons entirely, but left it in since anyone who played 2016 would expect it. But then they just made it incredibly unlikely to ever be able to use it that way in normal play, which just ends up frustrating people anyway. Finishing a combat encounter with 2 pips filled feels like a huge waste of a canister, and it happens a lot more often than actually getting 3 pips.

It would have been better to streamline the chainsaw by only having one extra pip from a fuel canister, that can be used to kill a mid-tier demon like a caco or arachnotron. Then every canister gives you an extra attack that you can use any time without feeling wasted. And it builds up anticipation to getting the ability to instakill large demons, rather than you already having the ability but not being good enough to use it (because the devs didn't want you to).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

doom 3 was alright. i did not play it when it initially came out. i was very late to the party

a bad FPS is like... the scourge project, scourge outbreak or dead effect. afterfall insanity. i have played and beaten some real gems

deadfall adventures? not that bad

neon shadow? not that good

e: i would put doom 3 on the level of deadfall or project snowblind. it's not a classic but it's also better than... *consults list of horrible FPSes I have beaten* legendary, bioshock infinite, hard reset, homefront, lichdom battlemage, nosferatu, red faction armageddon, ROOT, section 8 prejudice, every shadow warrior, sin episodes, sniper ghost warrior, timeshift, FEAR 2, wrack, xotic, the bureau XCOM declassified, fallout 3, kane & lynch 1 & 2, HAZE....

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 29, 2020

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The 7th Guest posted:

doom 3 was alright. i did not play it when it initially came out. i was very late to the party

a bad FPS is like... the scourge project, scourge outbreak or dead effect. afterfall insanity. i have played and beaten some real gems

e: i would put doom 3 on the level of deadfall or project snowblind. it's not a classic but it's also better than... *consults list of horrible FPSes I have beaten* legendary, bioshock infinite, hard reset, homefront, lichdom battlemage, nosferatu, red faction armageddon, ROOT, section 8 prejudice, every shadow warrior, sin episodes, sniper ghost warrior, timeshift, FEAR 2, wrack, xotic, the bureau XCOM declassified, fallout 3, kane & lynch 1 & 2, HAZE....

Every Shadow Warrior? Every Shadow Warrior? Horrible FPSes? All of them??

I spit on you.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I liked Shadow Warrior more than I did Duke Nukem 3D, but I would definitely never go back to Shadow Warrior. Way too uncomfortably racist for me now in a way that wouldn't bother me when I played it in 2013.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Never played build engine Shadow Warrior. Loved Shadow Warrior 2013, thoroughly until the end. Burned out on Shadow Warrior 2, like everyone else. Hyped for Shadow Warrior 3, the supposed return to form.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I love the idea of Build-enginge Shadow Warrior being a pastiche of Chinese/Japanese action cinema like Duke is for 80s american action and blood is for Westerns and Horror, but my god is it not handled right.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I feel like anybody could hire idk James Hong for an afternoon and that would’ve been amazing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

al-azad posted:

I feel like anybody could hire idk James Hong for an afternoon and that would’ve been amazing.

They could still hire him, he's like a million years old but accept no substitutes.

Probably need to rework the "just like nagasaki" line.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

Red Faction Armageddon is not a FPS. The Bureau X-COM is not a FPS, Fallout 3 is basically a RPG and both Kane & Lynch games aren't FPS either. Sure, you posted some bad games there but putting FEAR 2 in that list is another wrong thing in an already bad post.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Guillermus posted:

Red Faction Armageddon is not a FPS. The Bureau X-COM is not a FPS, Fallout 3 is basically a RPG and both Kane & Lynch games aren't FPS either. Sure, you posted some bad games there but putting FEAR 2 in that list is another wrong thing in an already bad post.
yea i get it, third person shooters are something else, but RF started as a FPS series so I think it's worth mentioning as a disapppointing entry in the series. FO3 is both bad as an RPG and a shooter

FEAR 2 isn't good and they hosed up the shotgun. FEAR 1 is fun, FEAR 3 is weirdly fun despite being complete trash. that's one i can't really explain

i've seen some high highs and some low lows and doom 3 is just kind of in the middle

as far as iD games go, RAGE is probably the weakest one but it still PLAYED okay (much like all the good aspects of RAGE 2 were from iD). granted i never played quake 4 but it doesn't sound like i missed much there

e: wait quake 4 was raven???? hmmm maybe i should try it

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 29, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

al-azad posted:

Unless there is piece of content I missed, Prey 2017 had him for one or two lines. You could have him around just long enough for a toilet break and it would be great.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FEAR 2 is a real bad game with a bold story idea for a big budget mainstream FPS game

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I had to give up on FEAR 2 when I couldn't get past a qte near the end. It seemed like it was just straight up broken.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I definitely think the pistol-start (flaregun start?) run of Blood I did on "Well Done" was one of the harder classic FPS experiences outside of community-made content. Very satisfying, but very brutal at times. I think that's what made it so much more satisfying to crush those goddamned cultists, though.

I gotta ask, how did you do Hall of the Epiphany with that kind of start (it would be pitchfork, no?). I just finished it this morning before work to complete the non Cryptic/Plasma Pak episodes, and the ammo count doesn't strike me as sufficient. Even with getting the Cerberus and Tchernobog to infight?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like the thing about Blood is because of the brutality of its hitscanners, the beginning of the first episode is really the hardest part of the whole game on high difficulties. I played through the whole thing on Extra Crispy a while back and by about midway through the second episode it really kind of stopped being hard. There were a few nasty rooms that took dozens of tries to get through but they were fewer and fewer as the game went on, simply because it was less cultists and more stuff like butchers and gargoyles and so on. Not to mention your weapon set is so limited early on - the biggest difficulty I had in the first episode was just lack of ammo. The game gets a lot more generous with napalm ammo and dynamite in later episodes.

Oh for sure, the proportion of Cultist/Fanatics decreases in later levels, but still plenty of instances where I had to do indirect dynamite barrages or play peek-a-boo with the napalm launcher.

Unrelated but I think Blood's Napalm Launcher is one of my favorite rocket launcher analogues. I think it's the screen-shaking feedback.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Pyrolocutus posted:

I gotta ask, how did you do Hall of the Epiphany with that kind of start (it would be pitchfork, no?). I just finished it this morning before work to complete the non Cryptic/Plasma Pak episodes, and the ammo count doesn't strike me as sufficient. Even with getting the Cerberus and Tchernobog to infight?

It’s been a while so I can’t remember the details, but there’s a hidden switch above the throne that will grant you a guns akimbo powerup that basically melts Tchernobog in no time flat. I don’t think it’s even counted as an actual secret though, which is odd.

I will say that the only level I had to break the “pistol start” rule was the Spider boss (episode 2?) because there definitely wasn’t enough ammo on Well Done to damage-race the boss to death with the limitless spider spawns. I tried a bunch of times and I kept finding that the ammo and weapons you can pick up in the level simply aren’t adequate.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It’s been a while so I can’t remember the details, but there’s a hidden switch above the throne that will grant you a guns akimbo powerup that basically melts Tchernobog in no time flat. I don’t think it’s even counted as an actual secret though, which is odd.
I think the switch is on the ceiling? Which is pretty rare in a BUILD engine game.

• The awesome Corruption Cards mod has been updated to be more mod friendly, including dynamically generating cards for other mods' monsters.
  • Check out (or join in on) the next instance of Take The Crown, a two-day Odamex Doom 2 Deathmatch tournament that will be streamed by Bethesda as part of their Quakecon @ Home stuff. Fight for honor! And also cash and random promo tat.
  • Bastion of Chaos is another one of Bridgeburner's absurdly pretty slaughterfests. Bring a magazine and drop down a skill level.
  • Multiverse presents you with twelve different reinterpretations of E1M1.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
BUILD Shadow Warrior gives me complicated feelings, because the game itself is both way, way, way too hard even on the easier settings, and racist as hell, but it also genuinely does a lot of really cool poo poo for the time and engine that makes it impossible for me to fully hate the game.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Doom 3 was MAYBE the third best FPS of 2004, and not even a close third.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Halo 2 was 2004 so I would say top 4.

e: United Offensive was 2004, I'm so sorry Doom 3.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have a bit of a grudge against halo as a series for contributing to the shift towards the "movement is slow and labored" era of shooters, i know it's a little unfair (and halo wasn't the only one doing it) but i will say i did enjoy playing MP on blood gulch with friends. and putting grenades under warthogs. and trying to escape the boundaries of maps

like yea halo 2 is better than doom 3, obviously, (halo 1's campaign is pretty bad tho) but i have no desire to go back and play it either. i like my shooters not being in slow motion

i was forced to play midship a lot by friends. man they liked that map

e: my go-to MP at the time was still UT2K4 tho. especially assault mode

e: e: i'm sure doom 3 was slow too, i don't really feel like i need to go back and play that one either

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 29, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'll always hate Halo for killing the FPS.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

How so? The recharging health?? I think it's pretty safe to say that the decline of early FPS games was brought about by Call of Duty and its ilk

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

[*]Multiverse presents you with twelve different reinterpretations of E1M1.

This is very much my jam and I appreciate both that it was made but also that you posted it.

Also, what was the name of the halo 2 map that had that circular open area along with a few ledges, and was pretty good with rockets only? Was that Midship?

Edit: I'm thinking of Ascension, which was fun. I also liked Lockout. gently caress Midship.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 29, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Midship is the round purple one with a big platform at the top with the sword, ramps up and down around the rim, and a pit in the middle where you can’t go without everyone on the map throwing grenades at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Groovelord Neato posted:

Having recently been playing the Halo series for the first time ever, this series definitely didn’t kill the FPS. It’s a genuine good series (1-3 so far at least) that does as much for the genre as Doom/Quake/Half-Life.

It’s the Halo clones and subsequent CoD sequels that killed FPS, for a while at least.