Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

Is it ever explained who is hunting the Honored Matres, other than that they're former subjects of theirs? I thought it was linked to the Futars, but apparently those were created by the Bene Tleilax.

The futars were created by whoever is hunting down the matres, and the couple that tries to trap Duncan's ship in the end look like face dancers but don't act like them, even mentioning how they had a master on board. I've always assumed that the pursuers are an offshoot of the tleilaxu that made the face dancers too good and then got into the same trouble as the OG tleilaxu with the improved face dancers that actually become whoever they copy.

And then the failson goes and makes it "LOL robutts lord cybertrex is back".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ahh, that actually makes sense. Now I just wonder if the Handlers are just the hunters (Face Dancers Gone Wild) in the context of handling Futars, or an entirely separate thing altogether.

I'm just going to make my vague understanding of the six books my headcanon, i have no particular desire to read Herbert Jr.'s books.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Phlegmish posted:

Ahh, that actually makes sense. Now I just wonder if the Handlers are just the hunters (Face Dancers Gone Wild) in the context of handling Futars, or an entirely separate thing altogether.

I'm just going to make my vague understanding of the six books my headcanon, i have no particular desire to read Herbert Jr.'s books.
My guess is that the Handlers and the two fantastical beings at the end of Chapterhouse are both pieces of the bene teilax that went to the scattering. The Handlers being the masters that went all in on genetic engineering, hence the futars, and the those other two beings being the end point of face dancers that went rogue. Duncan existed beyond time or whatever after he regained every one of his past lives, so it seems like those two hyper face dancers or whatever got to that point and beyond way before Duncan did.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Yeah this is pure speculation but I always had the feeling that the face dancer memory absorbtion got so good they were becoming some all powerful hive mind or society that just goes and takes over whatever they find without a way to stop them. Not just having one set of memories but many. This also sets them up in opposition to the BG who also have access to multiple memories, and perhaps also as an example of "machine thinking" if you get a bunch of weird clones all sharing memories and starting to all think the same.

Either way I think it works the more mysterious they are and the less 10000 year old robots they are.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Honestly, Frank can get too obtuse and metaphysical at times. It seems like his son is the exact opposite, bizarrely.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Honestly, Frank can get too obtuse and metaphysical at times. It seems like his son is the exact opposite, bizarrely.
Airmchair psychology, but that may not be so bizarre if you consider it as a possible reaction to Frank.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
You see, Brian hated his father

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Inverted Icon posted:

You see, Brian hated his father
Lol. Fair enough.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
No, I agree with you completely. Brian having some kind of intent to destroy his father's legacy is the only way it makes sense to me

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Inverted Icon posted:

No, I agree with you completely. Brian having some kind of intent to destroy his father's legacy is the only way it makes sense to me

It doesn't hurt that he made money along the way. I mean the effort:profit ratio has gotta be pretty good with the main work being farmed out

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Nayla's rock climbing orgasm was way better than everyone has let on. Hard to explain in excerpts but her horniness is set up, seems like it's over and done, and then the punchline. Just great stuff frank you freaky old man

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ingmar terdman posted:

Nayla's rock climbing orgasm was way better than everyone has let on. Hard to explain in excerpts but her horniness is set up, seems like it's over and done, and then the punchline. Just great stuff frank you freaky old man

It's also the first thing she seems to actually enjoy that isn't just doing whatever Leto tells her to

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Maybe the climbing orgasms are just an accident, a weird interaction between Duncan's caveman genes and whatever fuckery Leto introduced in humanity's gene pool.

Duncan cleans the gutters? Bam, orgasm.
Duncan gets stuff from the top shelf? Bam bam, orgasms.
Duncan fixes the broken tiles on the leaky roof? Oh gently caress yeah.

Maybe the sexiest thing in duneverse is a dude who pulls his weight around the loving house for once, Yueh.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cleaning the oven is what we call a slam dunc

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

fish speaker + worm cummies

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Feels like this might be a controversial ranking but:

Dunc
Dunc Messiah
God Emperor of Dunc
Children of Dunc

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Ingmar terdman posted:

Feels like this might be a controversial ranking but:

Dunc
Dunc Messiah
God Emperor of Dunc
Children of Dunc

What if, get this, dune is all bad.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I don't particularly mind how folks rank the sequels but there needs to be a big power gap between Dunc and everything else

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I enjoy chapterhouse but more as just a good pulp sci fi than any kind of classic.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

FBS posted:

I don't particularly mind how folks rank the sequels but there needs to be a big power gap between Dunc and everything else

Spazzle posted:

What if, get this, dune is all bad.

Agreed

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
You know - I've noticed this trend with other sci fi authors like Card: Herbert's books get more esoteric as they advance - and by book 4 I am completely put off.

Am I just too stupid to appreciate the later books w/ fishspeakers and whatever the gently caress - or are they viewed by you all as inferior products to the original book? My view is 1 is the GOAT, 2 and 3 are good sort-of, and everything after is a crap shoot of weird.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Thunder Moose posted:

You know - I've noticed this trend with other sci fi authors like Card: Herbert's books get more esoteric as they advance - and by book 4 I am completely put off.

Am I just too stupid to appreciate the later books w/ fishspeakers and whatever the gently caress - or are they viewed by you all as inferior products to the original book? My view is 1 is the GOAT, 2 and 3 are good sort-of, and everything after is a crap shoot of weird.

I pretty much agree except I do kinda like all of them. I like the ones past 3 because they're a crapshoot of weird. And all of them definitely straight up inferior to 1.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

pnumoman posted:

I pretty much agree except I do kinda like all of them. I like the ones past 3 because they're a crapshoot of weird. And all of them definitely straight up inferior to 1.

I read 1 - 5 in like 5 weeks, and then I've been on 6 for months, because its just... Like, I feel like there's so much going on that I've already missed important stuff and in I'm a couple of chapters in and I can't be bothered to re read it, but it's been so long now I'll have to.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I like them all, purely because I'm a sucker for any kind of story about far distant future humanity going off in weirdass directions.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bubblyblubber posted:

Maybe the sexiest thing in duneverse is a dude who pulls his weight around the loving house for once, Yueh.

So this is what they mean when they mention Herbertwife's influence

!Klams posted:

I read 1 - 5 in like 5 weeks, and then I've been on 6 for months, because its just... Like, I feel like there's so much going on that I've already missed important stuff and in I'm a couple of chapters in and I can't be bothered to re read it, but it's been so long now I'll have to.

6 also took me a really long time, but I think it's because I was burned out at that point. Reading all six books back to back is kind of exhausting

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
There seems to be a pretty even split between people that rank God Emperor up next to Dune and those that don't.

But I think we can all agree that the first book is the greatest literary disappointment of all time for not including more Heretics-style pussy sorcery

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I didn't like God Emperor much because it just has a giant emo worm monologuing for hundreds of pages, but I also think it's the book that benefits the most from re-reading it at a later point in time.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I'm in the middle of Heretics right now, having decided to spend COVID summer reading the Frank books for the first time, and I think that God Emperor is a close second to the original. Messiah and Children were both good reads, but it didn't feel like they did anything particularly interesting coming off of the first book. I don't think I've ever read anything quite like God Emperor before.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

First 2/3rds of Dune is legit masterpiece

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I think I've got Messiah at number two because I find the immediate fallout of the first book more interesting than the millennias-out consequences I guess. It's stylistically not what I expected (and the tone of the first book is never really recreated, although Children feels like an attempt at course correction), but when I reread the first book again I could see myself tacking on Messiah too.

e: but like a couple posts above, it's been a good use of the lockdown summer to do the series

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Dune is the Number Two book.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dune is stored in the thigh pads

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

kiimo posted:

Dune is stored in the thigh pads

that’s my dunc

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
arrakis... dunc... desert planet

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1288535370037166082?s=20

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Dune 1 and 4 are all-timers

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I think I like 5&6 more because I always liked the Sisterhood as a concept. They were antagonists in 1, foils in 2,3,4, it is cool to see their POV, and their worldview is unique in sci-fi, and really adds richness to the feudal society portrayed.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
5 and 6 are good as hell. Ranking them below children of dune and dune messiah is just pants on head stupid

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
also mecha Miles Teg is just the best

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Pimblor posted:

also mecha Miles Teg is just the best

drat this child voice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU