Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Disnesquick posted:

This is exactly what the Corbyn tried and it failed. The problem with looking inwards, when you are in open war, is that the enemy rightly perceives it as weakness and just doubles down on the message. Every attempt at conciliation and self-searching is evidence of guilt and fuel for the fire. There's so much to attack on and every minute spent doing this (and this kind of stuff takes a hell of a lot of time that we just didn't have) is a minute not doing something more effective. I feel we're going around in circles at this point though.

Yeah but you're going for expediency over solidarity - that's what I'm warning against. Sure it's easier to go "no there are no problems with antisemitism in Labour" - who does that help? Definitely not the victims of antisemitism that do exist, or people who suddenly realise their allies aren't gonna have their back because it makes things awkward. And it's not gonna make the people attacking you go "oh my mistake" and drop their line of attack either. All you've done is compromise your own principles in a very real way that can be brought up as a legitimate criticism at any time, and thrown people under the bus to do it

Like I said it's not about facing an accusation and going "oh no, you're right we've failed, we're working on it, racism is bad in all its forms" which is how a lot of Labour's handling came across. It's about saying "yes we're improving things because it's good and important, why aren't YOU", being willing to criticise what came before you, and owning the thing that's literally one of your strengths that your opponents are trying to recast as a weakness. Be able to make a strong case and go on the attack because you're not acting like a hypocrite. Empowering people in your movement because they don't have to choose between a principled antiracism stance and solidarity, and fighting against bad faith accusations

e- birb

https://i.imgur.com/JDPupcv.mp4

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Red Oktober posted:

Good god. I like to imagine that she was 'flirting' with him having to completely freestyle it over the internal chants of "Is this actually working? IS THIS ACTUALLY loving WORKING OH GOD WHAT DO I SAY NEXT?!?"

Nothing got broken into, which means either this was a dummy run to see how long her 'flirting' would occupy his attention, or she was some poor innocent who made the mistake of being friendly and was too polite to tell him to sod off. It could go either way, because really there are no boundaries on his capacity for making poor decisions.

Vitamin P posted:

Unending fake concern trolling with money behind it neuters most lefties/libs yes, we should build ways to be more aggressive more effectively yes, but don't like the implication that a "rational approach" is somehow part of the problem.

Saw a news report earlier and am now too lazy to find it, but apparently Labour membership is climbing since Sir Kier took over as the pro-Corbyn leavers are outnumberd by the anti-Corbyn rejoiners, and it's set to be the highest it's ever been. If that's true then the sensible centrists will never tolerate any whiff of leftism because it has been proved that sensible centrism is the Only Way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That may be because if you stop paying your subs they still count you as a member for quite a long time.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I'm entirely unconvinced there's some huge volume of centrists, lost to the wilderness for years but now joining Labour excited for Keith.

There's probably been a post-election bump (there always is), and a subsequent attrition of previous members who joined under Corbyn, which I'd suggest is a significantly bigger number than the new members.

The only way we'll know is seeing membership dues or (honest, contemporary) membership numbers.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Even if you never publish it until after your death I genuinely think your understanding of the social history of London should go in a book or something Twisto because I feel like it's going to be invaluable to know who to guillotine come the revolution.

Hint - it's all of them.

That's actually a rare example of me acknowledging the existence of an area outside the People's Republic of Tower Hamlets, let alone having knowledge of it - it's only because my sister-in-law is from around there and she and my brother lived there for years, and I worked in the area for a while, that I bother to follow stuff happening around there. Like I'm certain the same sort of things are happening around, say, Streatham and Acton but they've got the wrong letter at the start of their postcode for me to care.

Also random story from pre-gentrification Hoxton - by brother and his wife lived in the "nice" end of Hoxton - Shepherdess Walk, the border between Hackney and Islington, and never has the border between two boroughs ever been quite so blatantly obvious:

Anyway, in the middle of the night, my brother was woken up when a burglar tripped over the dog they'd bought after the last last time someone tried to break in, so I suppose he technically did his job. My brother jumped out of bed with the traditional Cockney warcry of OOTHEFUCKAREYOUCUNT?, grabbed the first object to hand, and chased the bloke out the (unlocked, oops) front door, out onto the street, and almost all the way to Moorfields before the adrenaline wore off a bit and he realised he was running down the road stark bollock naked waving a shoe-spreader over his head. Now *that's* getting tough on crime.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(unlocked, oops)
This is something that I've often thought about, and I've tried looking for a solution to no avail. Is there any such thing as a smart IoT thing that will tell you electronically/remotely that a door is locked without also trying to be a super cool smart lock that will let you unlock your doors over the internets/bluetooths? Like something that can sense the status of a lock without having the ability to manipulate it.

It's something that's definitely within the realms of possibility, like it could just be "is deadbolt on y/n/idk" but nobody seems to be making one without it also having the ability to unlock all your doors when a signal is sent.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Following the tradition set by the gauls at teutoburg, of course.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also random story from pre-gentrification Hoxton - by brother and his wife lived in the "nice" end of Hoxton - Shepherdess Walk, the border between Hackney and Islington, and never has the border between two boroughs ever been quite so blatantly obvious:

I run up or down that street most days :)

I like the disused feather merchant halfway down. Very pretty building.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

This is something that I've often thought about, and I've tried looking for a solution to no avail. Is there any such thing as a smart IoT thing that will tell you electronically/remotely that a door is locked without also trying to be a super cool smart lock that will let you unlock your doors over the internets/bluetooths? Like something that can sense the status of a lock without having the ability to manipulate it.

It's something that's definitely within the realms of possibility, like it could just be "is deadbolt on y/n/idk" but nobody seems to be making one without it also having the ability to unlock all your doors when a signal is sent.

I bet you could make something really simple with a deadbolt lock closing an electric circuit

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Of course the 'fix your bike' voucher scheme website crashes 4 minutes before it is meant to go live.

Because that's this loving government all over. I wonder which of Boris' mates was bunged a bunch of cash to get it up and running.

We'll totally be ready for a no deal brexit though, don't worry about that.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 29, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know someone who used to live in a narrowboat on the canal just at the top end of that street. Apparently it was much cheaper than renting a flat anywhere near there and it was reasonably quiet (as long as someone hadn't booked the venue next door for a wedding or whatever) and the only real downside was that the boat's movement on the water made a standard hangover into an absolute nightmare.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 29, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

I wonder if that's anything to do with the interview last week on the BBC where the JVfL lady kept being talked over and was finally cut off by the newsreader because she wasn't toeing the BBC line that Labour paying off the high court case drew a line under the issue and that anti-semitism was fixed.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Red Oktober posted:

Of course the 'fix your bike' voucher scheme website crashes 4 minutes before it is meant to go live.

Because that's this loving government all over. I wonder which of Boris' mates was bunged a bunch of cash to get it up and running.

We'll totally be ready for a no deal brexit though, don't worry about that.

suspect that the 50,000 first come first served was added by DfT very last minute. because it makes no sense at any level and doesn't fit with the previous announcements, as vague as they were.

any protests from the IT infrastructure team that the site won't cope with the previously projected demand of the next 3 months all being compressed into all at once would be met with tough it's too late to do anything about it now.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Cerv posted:

suspect that the 50,000 first come first served was added by DfT very last minute. because it makes no sense at any level and doesn't fit with the previous announcements, as vague as they were.

any protests from the IT infrastructure team that the site won't cope with the previously projected demand of the next 3 months all being compressed into all at once would be met with tough it's too late to do anything about it now.

Well now I feel slightly embarrassed.

If they can do an unlimited £10/20 deal for food for a whole month they can sort out an agreement where all bike shops will get reimbursed £20 for a repair, and the customer just has to pay for any parts needed. That would have made a lot more sense.

edit:

Good god, what the gently caress is wrong with some people.

Not followed by anyone I follow - thank gently caress for that.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 29, 2020

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Red Oktober posted:

Well now I feel slightly embarrassed.

lol

I'm giving up for tonight. who knows if it'll be working come morning.

speaking of the £10 restaurant thing, did I say I thought a lot of higher end places wouldn't bother registering? because if you're paying 3 figures per head who cares about a tenner off? it'd just be embarrassing and a pointless hassle.

I was wrong! chuck in some fun postcodes and see what comes up. https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/eat-out-to-help-out/find-a-restaurant
Sexy Fish - London's most overpriced restaurant according to the Hardens guide for several years running - is in there. most of the top ten but I haven't checked them all. loads of restaurants around areas like Mayfair where £10 wouldn't get you half a starter.
the offer's not going to be getting anyone out who wouldn't have been there anyway.

but we can't just walk into bike shop and get cash off a service directly. have to register online to keep it limited to 1 per person & 2 per household. otherwise the Treasury's helicopter money might be wasted!

Cerv fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 29, 2020

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lady Demelza posted:

Saw a news report earlier and am now too lazy to find it, but apparently Labour membership is climbing since Sir Kier took over as the pro-Corbyn leavers are outnumberd by the anti-Corbyn rejoiners, and it's set to be the highest it's ever been. If that's true then the sensible centrists will never tolerate any whiff of leftism because it has been proved that sensible centrism is the Only Way.

I don't buy that for a moment. Centrist types tend to be a mixture of apathetic and entitled: obviously their opinions are correct but it's the job of other people to push for them and get elected. A mass of centrists enthusiastically sweeping into the Labour party is a contradiction in terms. I'm quite sure that a lot of people have just cancelled their direct debits but these won't show up as leavers for months yet.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Tried to get a bike repair voucher, website crashed. Gave up, went to sleep.

Had a dream where I got a bike repair voucher. Woke up, checked my phone, and I actually had! Didnt even have to put any details in! Felt smug, went back to sleep.

Woke up for real and checked my phone, website has message saying the service has been temporarily suspended.

That was the most boring dream-filled sleep I've ever had.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Cerv posted:

I was wrong! chuck in some fun postcodes and see what comes up. https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/eat-out-to-help-out/find-a-restaurant
Sexy Fish - London's most overpriced restaurant according to the Hardens guide for several years running - is in there. most of the top ten but I haven't checked them all. loads of restaurants around areas like Mayfair where £10 wouldn't get you half a starter.
the offer's not going to be getting anyone out who wouldn't have been there anyway.

Interesting, looks like a lot of small local places near me are taking part in this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/FromSteveHowell/status/1288195839123501058?s=19

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

The scurge of lefty snowflake cancel culture strikes again

Wait.. whERROR

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

That may be because if you stop paying your subs they still count you as a member for quite a long time.

But I'll bet they count you as a new member before the first cheque clears.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
You ever feel like society itself is gaslighting you? I woke up to this cheerful announcement:

https://twitter.com/TowerHamletsNow/status/1288056120062488576

4 centres to provide free hot meals for families in need, all within a mile of the headquarters of some of the richest banks and financial institutions in the world. Some of the people needing to use these centres will have to walk straight through the middle of these Glorious Capitalist Erections. A few will have to change buses outside the HQ of HSBC, some will have to walk half a mile out of their way because Morgan Stanley (pre-GFC) didn't want foot traffic from the council estates going past their door and successfully lobbied to have one of the only four pedestrian access routes closed.

If this had been in an eighties satire you'd have dismissed it as hackish and laying it on way too loving thick.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

I'm not sure what it is about Futurama, but I always read those quotes in my head in their respective voices.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Coronavirus cases are creeping up again across much of Europe, which is kind of dispiriting. In the UK, we've gone from a low of 550ish a day at the start of July to 700ish now. France and Spain are doing a lot worse, while Italy seems to be doing something right - their numbers remain low and not trending upwards.

I was musing about returning to the gym and the pub but I don't think I will now.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

I was musing about returning to the gym and the pub but I don't think I will now.

You shouldn't man, seriously. Getting a better pump is not worth endangering yourself, and gyms are one of the worst scenarios for transmission

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My boss is already starting to go 'oh its great how normal it's starting to feel having people in a couple of days a week, but I'm starting to feel like you're a bit disconnected' and I'm dreading the possibility of being forced back into the building.

Also, yes, please don't go to the pub or the gym. Your enjoyment is not weorth other peoples' safety.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

You shouldn't man, seriously. Getting a better pump is not worth endangering yourself, and gyms are one of the worst scenarios for transmission

Also, in my experience, gyms attract the sort of vain, preening arsehole even in pre-pandemic times that they will be disease vectors now.

Put it another way. We have all seen the sort who don't put back weights or take selfies in the gym floor. Do you think these people are going to practice good social distance now?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do you mean pump in the Scottish sense :raise:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You ever feel like society itself is gaslighting you? I woke up to this cheerful announcement:

https://twitter.com/TowerHamletsNow/status/1288056120062488576

4 centres to provide free hot meals for families in need, all within a mile of the headquarters of some of the richest banks and financial institutions in the world. Some of the people needing to use these centres will have to walk straight through the middle of these Glorious Capitalist Erections. A few will have to change buses outside the HQ of HSBC, some will have to walk half a mile out of their way because Morgan Stanley (pre-GFC) didn't want foot traffic from the council estates going past their door and successfully lobbied to have one of the only four pedestrian access routes closed.

If this had been in an eighties satire you'd have dismissed it as hackish and laying it on way too loving thick.

And there will still be the obligatory article saying it is a bad thing, actually, because people are actually turning up for free food and spending the money they save on jewellery from Argos, actually

lol it really would be so much easier to be right wing - appealing to people's hind brains takes very little effort

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Getting a better pump is not worth endangering yourself

crispix posted:

Do you mean pump in the Scottish sense :raise:
I'm choosing to believe that it's in the fully literal sense and is a PSA about construction site theft.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/29/five-eyes-alliance-could-expand-in-scope-to-counteract-china

The Five Eyes intelligence alliance could be expanded to include Japan and broadened into a strategic economic relationship that pools key strategic reserves such as critical minerals and medical supplies, according to centre-right MPs working internationally to decouple the west from China.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can psychically perceive Mac stirring in his septic tank and drafting an East Asian 'eyes' related cartoon and am glad he's retired. Bob will probably do it instead.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I think the gym is like the perfect area for a disease to spread. Everyone i know who is going back, including to rock climbing centers, are all quite young people who pay lip service to lockdown/ social distancing being good but don't actually do any of it and think it's all massively poo poo because it's inconvenienced them.

don't go there especially if you're a bit older and have a higher chance of getting hospitalised.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

I think the gym is like the perfect area for a disease to spread. Everyone i know who is going back, including to rock climbing centers, are all quite young people who pay lip service to lockdown/ social distancing being good but don't actually do any of it and think it's all massively poo poo because it's inconvenienced them.

don't go there especially if you're a bit older and have a higher chance of getting hospitalised.

Love to spend my evenings pushing my face against a wall that other people have pushed their faces against in the middle of a pandemic.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Don't worry I'm sure they're disinfecting the entirety of each climbing route in-between every climber

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/29/five-eyes-alliance-could-expand-in-scope-to-counteract-china

The Five Eyes intelligence alliance could be expanded to include Japan and broadened into a strategic economic relationship that pools key strategic reserves such as critical minerals and medical supplies, according to centre-right MPs working internationally to decouple the west from China.

So this is the beginning of the US starting to build its Grand South-Punching Alliance for when climate change really starts to bite, isn't it?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Woke up in the middle of the night because a spider was crawling over my face.
And yesterday, less we forget that derail was 'loud construction at 7:30am' day.

I'm beginning to think that taking this week off was a bad idea.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My gym released its lockdown rules yesterday and they're pretty full-on. Changing rooms are closed, so you have to turn up in gym gear and shower at home. Each machine will have a QR code you must scan with an app so they can track who uses what. Half of the machines have been removed to maintain social distancing (and obviously limiting the amount of people inside).

Reckon they're getting pretty desperate if they're going to such ends.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Don't worry I'm sure they're disinfecting the entirety of each climbing route in-between every climber

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Love to spend my evenings pushing my face against a heavily porous wall that other people have pushed their faces against in the middle of a pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

winegums posted:

The only way we'll know is seeing membership dues or (honest, contemporary) membership numbers.

Which, conveniently, are not public. 'Sources' can claim whatever they want about membership numbers to the press.