Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Louisgod posted:

My best friend, who has given me crap over Xenoblade for years and years (in fun, of course) as I've pushed him to play it numerous times, finished the copy I bought him for his birthday the other night and he loved it. Loved it so much he 100% completed everything in the game without turning on casual mode, and texted me yesterday to say he's addicted to the game again thanks to Future Connected.

It's a drat good game and you'll get the hang of it.

Your hype machine was what got me to play the game in the first place when it was finally announced for North American release, so thanks for that! I love it. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Silver Falcon posted:

Your hype machine was what got me to play the game in the first place when it was finally announced for North American release, so thanks for that! I love it. :D

You're welcome, glad you jumped in and I'm happy it was redone on the Switch as well. It's a testament to how well done the game is.

Now, time for a remake of The Last Story, which is actually surprisingly fun. Likable cast and good voice work, just very short compared to XC1.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Finished the main story again, still loved it. I definitely had a fundamental misunderstanding of the ending when I played the original 10 years ago, though: I didn't recognize in the original that the edge of Colony 9 is sitting before the rest of the collapsed Bionis. For some reason I thought Shulk re-created Earth after seeing it during the ending which had made me super confused on how Future Connected was supposed to work.

Ending cutscene spoiler Zanza being an arrogant scientist who destroyed our universe and Meyneth being the only counter to his megalomania because she grabbed him as he pushed the button is still the most buckwild random ending reveal I've ever seen, though.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Louisgod posted:

Double post: I'm replaying XC2 via NG+ and am curious if there's any specific benefit to manually leveling down and exchanging your XP for stuff. Anything specific? I forgot how everything in the game is overwhelming and how much I hate the annoying pacing in the cutscenes.

The Blade Zenobia has a passive ability that gives her stupid amounts of power against anything higher level than her, so when she's equipped fighting a Lv. 55 monster is significantly easier to do at Lv. 54 than at Lv. 56.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Takoluka posted:

The Blade Zenobia has a passive ability that gives her stupid amounts of power against anything higher level than her, so when she's equipped fighting a Lv. 55 monster is significantly easier to do at Lv. 54 than at Lv. 56.

I was wondering about that ability. I just beat NG last night and am not sure whether or not to jump to NG+ just yet. I get that all quests reset, but like, should I try to max out trust on the blades I do have before NG+? Should I use up the Rare/Legendary core crystals I have to try to get blades like Dagas and/or KOS MOS before starting NG+ due to the smaller rare pool to choose from (or is it the opposite where pulling in NG+ is better)? I'm only missing like 5 rares if you include the ones from the battle arena. So many 'should I restart now or finish other things first?' questions.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fhqwhgads posted:

I was wondering about that ability. I just beat NG last night and am not sure whether or not to jump to NG+ just yet. I get that all quests reset, but like, should I try to max out trust on the blades I do have before NG+? Should I use up the Rare/Legendary core crystals I have to try to get blades like Dagas and/or KOS MOS before starting NG+ due to the smaller rare pool to choose from (or is it the opposite where pulling in NG+ is better)? I'm only missing like 5 rares if you include the ones from the battle arena. So many 'should I restart now or finish other things first?' questions.

I believe Trust carries over, so you can build it up dynamically in your next playthrough, if you don't feel like crafting a bunch of Love Sources. Since you're in the endgame, you have Master Driver Rex. Going into NG+ means you lose access to those Blades until you get the associated party members, unless you have them equipped to Rex himself, which is the double-edged sword of Blade distribution decisions. If none of this bothers you, just head into NG+, because the Blade pool will also add T-elos, and you also get access to the inn bard that lets you level down.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I finished Future Connected over the weekend and I have... thoughts.

I very much like the slimmed down battle system, less crap to worry about and proper aggro and healing management being a thing was nice. Good resolution to Melia's character arc, Nene I think supplants Riki as Best Nopon Ever, Kino occasionally says some stuff, and Shulk is there too. The Ponspectors are a gift from god. Quiet Moments are great.

The not good part is how absolutely needless it all feels. Melia's character arc didn't need spelling out, as what was in XC1 itself was more than enough for anyone with half-a-brain to think "okay and then she rebuilds High Entia society and is a good queen" when the main game's credits roll. It'd be fine if there was something else to Future Connected, but... you beat the Fog King, and it's just over. Much like this post.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I think I'd like Tora a lot more if they'd kept the Nopon the same size as they were in XB1. The transition from Riki's super-expressive painted-on sprite face to fully-modeled 3D is a downgrade too, IMO.

Also I haven't found a way to make Tora into a pineapple yet so not really sure why he's here.

He's a good enough friend when he's not being gross about Poppi I guess.

Poppi is cool and good.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Before NG+ Do the following things:

1) If you've started Ursula's Blade Quest, finish it. Farm cores off the Armu or whatever to kill time, do other blade quests you haven't, level to 99, whatever. But your progress on Ursula's bullshit will reset, so if you haven't started it, it's fine to do in NG+, but otherwise, absolutely finish it first.

1a) This is also true of any other blade quests you've started but haven't finished yet. The other one that is annoying to have to restart off top of head is Zenobia I guess, but it's still an order of magnitude less bullshit than Ursula, so whatever.

2) I'd suggest popping all of your cores for whatever you're missing before you start over, personally. There will be a half dozen new rare blades in the pool when you restart, and it's nice to not have to worry about the ones you missed. That said, unless you're killing time for Ursula/levelling to 99 before the restart by farming the Armu or something, don't sit around farming core crystals just to try to get the blades you're missing.

3) If you do have Kos Mos, do her quest. The reward is a unique Aux Core, you can get two via NG+. It's not that special that you need to sit around popping cores for it, but it's not game breaking where you'll be ruined by not having the second. (It's a max rank fast blade switch; 5% more than the second best that is farmable.)

4) Beat up Ophion (the big snake super boss at the cliffs); he drops a key that lets you get a bunch of the best weapon chip, and you can get it a second time in NG+. Ophion is probably the easiest of the superposes anyway.

5) Overdrive a proper and complete set of blades on to Nia (You can't overdrive blades directly to Rex, so you'll bounce them through her.) Since blades unlock with their drivers, it means if you happened to pop all your late game legendary cores on Zeke and he's sitting on 30 blades, you'll wait until very late in the game to unlock your whole blade pool all over again. Overdrives will be abundant-ish in NG+ so just burn them all getting everything 'perfect' for the early game. Zenobia on Rex is a real good call because of the aforementioned "hit higher level enemies" skill which is great when you want to run around at level 1 with endgame blades/gear for max xp.

6) beyond that, there's a few other endgame weapon chips and stuff you can try to farm off of the super bosses if you want to collect those before restarting, but they're hardly necessary.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Louisgod posted:

You're welcome, glad you jumped in and I'm happy it was redone on the Switch as well. It's a testament to how well done the game is.

Now, time for a remake of The Last Story, which is actually surprisingly fun. Likable cast and good voice work, just very short compared to XC1.
Last Story is a real good self-contained tale set in a world that's built a little bigger than you get to see, kind of like the Torna game.

It had good music and fun scenarios, and some fun Easter eggs. It just runs a bit sluggish if you go back and look at it now. Don't know if there's the institutional interest in a remake, though: didn't the sequel release as a mobile game?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Manoueverable posted:

Finished the main story again, still loved it. I definitely had a fundamental misunderstanding of the ending when I played the original 10 years ago, though: I didn't recognize in the original that the edge of Colony 9 is sitting before the rest of the collapsed Bionis. For some reason I thought Shulk re-created Earth after seeing it during the ending which had made me super confused on how Future Connected was supposed to work.

Ending cutscene spoiler Zanza being an arrogant scientist who destroyed our universe and Meyneth being the only counter to his megalomania because she grabbed him as he pushed the button is still the most buckwild random ending reveal I've ever seen, though.

And then that gets followed up with Alvis being the space station’s
computer

The Ponspectors in FC made me want a Nopon-focused tactics RPG that steals the tower/throwing mechanics from Disgaea :pcgaming:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

What level can you take on the Territorial Rotbart in xc2?

I have unfinished business.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
So, I dropped XB2 a little over two years ago, but after finally getting through XBDE and Future Connected I'm gonna just restart my game since I was about 70 hours in and don't remember jack poo poo about the story or battle system. I also got the expansion pass so I've got a ton of items to claim, but I just wanted some advice. I know that (XB2) Rex can eventually switch Blades at will, or something like that, so it's not a good idea to use a lot of cores on him. What dlc cores should I use and on who?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

hamburgers in pockets posted:

So, I dropped XB2 a little over two years ago, but after finally getting through XBDE and Future Connected I'm gonna just restart my game since I was about 70 hours in and don't remember jack poo poo about the story or battle system. I also got the expansion pass so I've got a ton of items to claim, but I just wanted some advice. I know that (XB2) Rex can eventually switch Blades at will, or something like that, so it's not a good idea to use a lot of cores on him. What dlc cores should I use and on who?

Giving the DLC blades to rex early and then overdriving them off of him late is a really good way to make sure that he has some good options early on without spamming random cores on him that you’ll regret later.

To be clear there’s only 2 DLC cores (the others are just normal random blade cores)

Corvin has a katana with a special moveset; he’s nominally a tank blade but does tons of damage. This is great on Rex especially early.

Crosette is the Only Good Blitzball; she’s nominally a healer blade but she does huge fire element damage and eventually I really like her on Zeke, but throwing her on Rex or Nia early and overdriving late is very good strategy.

The other 4 DLC blades, are not bound to any driver and can be moved around at will; 1 comes from a quest, uses a shield hammer, and is not great. (But still manages to be the best shield hammer/HP and mitigation tank blade in the game for not-Tora, so not awful I guess. Light element is nice.) the other three are Elma, Shulk, and Fiora and are unlocked through challenge mode trials. They’re all absurdly OP bordering on game breaking.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 2, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I wonder how far into making a third game they are?
I said it before but while it was nice to replay XB1 again it doesn't capture the exploration feel that all three Xenoblade games have for me - just seeing the insane areas is something special.

Weirdly I think the game I've played that most closely resembles Xenoblade is Final Fantasy 14. I don't mind that Xenoblade feels so much like a MMOG but I am kinda surprised they didn't actually make a MMOG of it, surely they must have felt the urge.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You can tell they were testing some of that, or at least a 'lobby' based one like PSO/Destiny with XCX but it kinda got stripped out to the bare minimum and then unceremoniously killed with the destruction of Miiverse.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

hamburgers in pockets posted:

You get about 10 overdrive protocols with the dlc. You can also move an axe to Rex for launch and call it a day until your spoiler.
Zenobia is fairly common and one of the strongest blades in the game, her only disadvantage on Rex is doubling up on wind element.
T-Elos is great but she can't appear before clearing the final boss (NG+ not required) so she's not an option for what you seek.
Agate exists I guess and she's some earth coverage. I've been using her my current playthrough.
I don't recall if there were other unique axes.

Corvyn is good but you'd be doubling up on light.
Crosette is fire and if it wasn't clear by now I don't really like doubling up on elements on the same driver. She good though.
Shulk, Fiora and Elma are OP but require grinding.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Taear posted:

Xenoblade 2 is the third game :v:
They started working on the next game around two years ago after Torna came out, or at least that's when they put up the "come work on the next Xenoblade" recruitment ad on their site. Considering they made 2 in two and a half years with most of the team away working on Zelda, I wouldn't be surprised to see it come out next year.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Crossette is extremely good on Nia, hope this helps.

Edit: Corvyn is extremely good on Zeke.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Omobono posted:

You get about 10 overdrive protocols with the dlc. You can also move an axe to Rex for launch and call it a day until your spoiler.
Zenobia is fairly common and one of the strongest blades in the game, her only disadvantage on Rex is doubling up on wind element.

Tell that to my game where she was the last goddamn Blade I got, right before the final boss. :argh: Yes, you heard that right, I got KOS-MOS before Zenobia! Way before!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zenobia is the 2nd rarest normal Blade on average, after KOS MOS

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Doc V posted:

They started working on the next game around two years ago after Torna came out, or at least that's when they put up the "come work on the next Xenoblade" recruitment ad on their site. Considering they made 2 in two and a half years with most of the team away working on Zelda, I wouldn't be surprised to see it come out next year.

I see XCX as a spinoff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doc V posted:

The Zelda thing only happened at the tail end of XC2's development, and the general guess they got hosed over roughly around the time they'd normally be polishing and tuning things. It's the most likely reason for a lot of the "why is this here/like this?" questions in XC2's decisions when it's largely a really good solid game. Torna is a solid benchmark for what they can turn out unhampered, and it's a pretty high one too, so I'm excited to see what XC3 looks like if there's no similar drama to affect it's development.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Zelda thing only happened at the tail end of XC2's development, and the general guess they got hosed over roughly around the time they'd normally be polishing and tuning things. It's the most likely reason for a lot of the "why is this here/like this?" questions in XC2's decisions when it's largely a really good solid game. Torna is a solid benchmark for what they can turn out unhampered, and it's a pretty high one too, so I'm excited to see what XC3 looks like if there's no similar drama to affect it's development.

You Will Know Our Names starts playing as BoTW2 rushes into view

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

multijoe posted:

You Will Know Our Names starts playing as BoTW2 rushes into view

At this point it would be what, the third Xeno game that got its lunch money stolen by another franchise?

You'd think this series is being developed on top of the Japanese equivalent to an ancient native Indian cemetery.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Taear posted:

I said it before but while it was nice to replay XB1 again it doesn't capture the exploration feel that all three Xenoblade games have for me - just seeing the insane areas is something special.

Weirdly I think the game I've played that most closely resembles Xenoblade is Final Fantasy 14. I don't mind that Xenoblade feels so much like a MMOG but I am kinda surprised they didn't actually make a MMOG of it, surely they must have felt the urge.

I’m kind of glad they haven’t done an MMO because it would probably destroy my life.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

For the quests that give you options should I be following a guide to avoid picking something bad/locking myself out of content, or is it more of a no wrong answer, made for multiple playthru type thing?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

fadam posted:

For the quests that give you options should I be following a guide to avoid picking something bad/locking myself out of content, or is it more of a no wrong answer, made for multiple playthru type thing?

There are some reward differences, and some are notably 'better', but also, none of them are better than stuff you'll get an hour or two later so don't worry about any of them.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

There are some reward differences, and some are notably 'better', but also, none of them are better than stuff you'll get an hour or two later so don't worry about any of them.

Ok cool, thanks!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

fadam posted:

Once in a while it will affect stuff down the road and you can definitely lock yourself out of some quests by picking the wrong options iirc. But it’s only for a few quests and I think a lot of them have to do with rebuilding Colony 6.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Can you respec art levels? Is it possible to max them all out?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

fadam posted:

You can't respec, and you can max them all out as AP is an infinite accruable resource

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fadam posted:

You can't but you'll have an overabundance of AP You might run out if you're leveling everything to 10 (or 12) but that is generally unnecessary as you'll find a build and stick with it long before then.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I've been fiddling around in the endgame, getting good gems, trying to get people kitted up and stuff. I'm hitting early 90s and managed to cheese my way through a couple of upper 90s UMs, which felt good.

One thing I have never been able to figure out myself is who wants what kind of armor. There's Light, Medium, and Heavy. Anything above Light seems to penalize your agility so dodge tanks like Dunban probably don't want it, but there's skills that reduce armor weight which may mostly negate that? Then heavy and medium armor have a lot of defense but generally piss-poor Ether defense. Do you generally care about that?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Honestly I kind of just give everyone light armor and call it a day. Evasion is way better than trying to tank things straight on and even Reyn can get some decent dodging going on since his base agility's not that far off from Shulk's.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Namnesor posted:

I finished Future Connected over the weekend and I have... thoughts.

I very much like the slimmed down battle system, less crap to worry about and proper aggro and healing management being a thing was nice. Good resolution to Melia's character arc, Nene I think supplants Riki as Best Nopon Ever, Kino occasionally says some stuff, and Shulk is there too. The Ponspectors are a gift from god. Quiet Moments are great.

The not good part is how absolutely needless it all feels. Melia's character arc didn't need spelling out, as what was in XC1 itself was more than enough for anyone with half-a-brain to think "okay and then she rebuilds High Entia society and is a good queen" when the main game's credits roll. It'd be fine if there was something else to Future Connected, but... you beat the Fog King, and it's just over. Much like this post.

For me the DLC feels completely useless and doesn't do anything, but it exists because the writers went 'wow we really dragged Melia through the mud huh, lets give her *something*. I mean seriously the last quarter of Xenoblade is Melia just getting her heart crushed to a pulp in increasingly comical ways.

Shout out to Shulk and Fiora holding hands and giggling and running by her while the camera zooms in on her distraught face.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It doesn't really fix that and teasing being able to use the character the DLC revolves around and then sticking you with Sharla but now chain attacks dont involve her as 25% of your character options is still rude even if thats an improvement.

I also won't lie I kind if wanted the DLC to be playing Melia long after all the homs characters had died.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Silver Falcon posted:

I've been fiddling around in the endgame, getting good gems, trying to get people kitted up and stuff. I'm hitting early 90s and managed to cheese my way through a couple of upper 90s UMs, which felt good.

One thing I have never been able to figure out myself is who wants what kind of armor. There's Light, Medium, and Heavy. Anything above Light seems to penalize your agility so dodge tanks like Dunban probably don't want it, but there's skills that reduce armor weight which may mostly negate that? Then heavy and medium armor have a lot of defense but generally piss-poor Ether defense. Do you generally care about that?

Weight reduction skills are cheap filler skill links that you can probably fit on Dunban/Shulk, so give them whatever medium pieces they can fit while keeping weight at 0 and fill it out with light.

Melia gets light armor. Riki too until you get his fifth skill tree, at which point he can equip heavy as well (but not medium), and probably should if you're mainly using him in an ether party, and probably should not if you're using him to apply bleed with physical folks.

I gave Sharla heavy armor just to spread out what I was using because I barely used Sharla.

Reyn got a mix of Medium and Heavy armor - like Dunban and Shulk I tried to keep overall weight relatively low, but didn't sweat it not being zero.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Melia should definitely be in Heavy Armour, she doesn't give a poo poo about agility (hers is already the lowest agility in the game and magic accuracy doesn't use Agility at all) and she had a skill that gives her +30 ether defense for every piece of Heavy Armour she's wearing. Sharla and Dunban have similar skills for Medium and Light armour respectively, so those are easy to sort out. Also she looks really cool in M100 armour without looking like a Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

YggiDee posted:

Melia should definitely be in Heavy Armour, she doesn't give a poo poo about agility (hers is already the lowest agility in the game and magic accuracy doesn't use Agility at all) and she had a skill that gives her +30 ether defense for every piece of Heavy Armour she's wearing. Sharla and Dunban have similar skills for Medium and Light armour respectively, so those are easy to sort out. Also she looks really cool in M100 armour without looking like a Gundam.

She can't use heavy armor without a skill link though, and those points are precious enough for her as is.