Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etOrYtQ3EGc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
El Flautista rules I want it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm putting together SO MANY NECRONS right now, and what's the consensus on the new gun for warriors?

I was thinking of using 5 in a squad of 20, as a sorta special weapon? But I have reservations because I've never played Necrons and I am bad at list building.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

JBP posted:

El Flautista rules I want it.

this is my new IG regiment

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Shadowed Bacon posted:

That dragon looks like he's yelling at the dude to shut up.

Thank you for the genuine laugh

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

moths posted:

I'm putting together SO MANY NECRONS right now, and what's the consensus on the new gun for warriors?

I was thinking of using 5 in a squad of 20, as a sorta special weapon? But I have reservations because I've never played Necrons and I am bad at list building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snnCUzM-Mnw

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

moths posted:

I think the Reaper is going to be better against Marines and the Flayer is going to be better against pretty much everyone else. Wounding on 3's and -2 AP against SM is really nice.

Warriors and Immortals are great. I don't think you can really have too many of them. I'll be taking 40 Warriors with Reapers and 40 with Flayers in my 2000 point list, I think going Sautekh to mitigate the range penalties.

I also don't know what I'm talking about and you shouldn't listen to me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That guy's videos are pretty great imo, thanks.

Ok I think I'm going to plan for four 15:5 mixed flayers:reapers squads, and if it stinks after a few games I can just pull the reapers into their own group.

They look great but I just can't get my head around that short range.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
"wait I can just switch out the guns because I'm not gluing anything" is a thought process I'm not used to.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Having pushed several of these together, I can assure you that it's not viable at all with the warriors.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I never knew where that sample came from, thank you for this.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

moths posted:

I have him, and he is a regulation sized space marine. (He came out prior to Primaris.)

Cheers. That's what I thought the answer would be but I was hoping I was wrong.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I think I’d take a reaper necrons as separate. They kinda want to do different things tactically and that can lead to awkward situations, if they’re mixed. Like essentially guaranteeing that some of the squad will never be at their preferred distance. I’d probably get a big group of each. Reapers are really cool imo, but does require something to make them work. For example with veil of darkness, without anything to increase their range, the normal gauss flayer ends up being better against everything because the reaper is not in rapid fire range range at 9 inches.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The indomitus marines are loving cool irl

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can lieutenants bought as one HQ choice be moved around with Raven Guard stratagems together (as in they are technically one unit)? I'm talking with stuff like master of ambush.

E: I assume not, but I'm also not sure on predeployment stratagems like having them deep strike for a cp which occurs before you out them on the table.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 29, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Still waiting on my rulebook but looking at the Craftworlds codex and the Wraithguard entry for Wraithcannons says they do D6 damage, does this mean that if 5 wraithcannons shot and got 5 hits and then I rolled all 6s for damage that I could do 30 wounds (I assume at this point I would roll the 30 dice to see if my shots wound (S vs T)?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

tangy yet delightful posted:

Still waiting on my rulebook but looking at the Craftworlds codex and the Wraithguard entry for Wraithcannons says they do D6 damage, does this mean that if 5 wraithcannons shot and got 5 hits and then I rolled all 6s for damage that I could do 30 wounds (I assume at this point I would roll the 30 dice to see if my shots wound (S vs T)?

1) Determine number of shots
2) Roll to hit
3) Successful hits become rolls to wound
4) Successful wounds become saves rolled by your opponent
5) Failed saves become damage rolls (if applicable)

So if you fired five Wraithcannon shots and got 5 hits, you would roll five dice for Wounds, then your opponent would roll however many wounds you got for saves, and then you would roll damage for each of the saves they fail.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Order of operations makes a big difference there, thanks for clarifying!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MRLOLAST posted:

That's totally Dio right?

Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull, sans the beard.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I never knew where that sample came from, thank you for this.

I fell down a wiki hole and found out that guy played the Pied Piper in Shrek 3... and his father wrote the original Shrek book.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Weird question but which is the best mod of this sub to PM about getting permission for giving some prize stuff away?

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

JBP posted:

The indomitus marines are loving cool irl

I find that a lot of miniatures look better in real life. I've never liked the look of the nurgle models but me and a friend had a quick game with the first strike and the plague marines and poxwalkers looked great.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Der Waffle Mous posted:

"wait I can just switch out the guns because I'm not gluing anything" is a thought process I'm not used to.

Get a drill, get magnets, and never worry about it again! I finally bit the bullet and started and it's an extremely liberating feeling.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Way back in the dawn of time I magnetised some of my firstborn marines thinking it'd be good to swap out between bolters/cc weapons, and immensely regretted it. It made handling them a pain and nobody could hold a decent pose. I wouldn't bother magnetising anything less than a dread, maybe terminators.

Although thinking about it now maybe my magnets just weren't strong enough.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Knobb Manwich posted:

Way back in the dawn of time I magnetised some of my firstborn marines thinking it'd be good to swap out between bolters/cc weapons, and immensely regretted it. It made handling them a pain and nobody could hold a decent pose. I wouldn't bother magnetising anything less than a dread, maybe terminators.

Although thinking about it now maybe my magnets just weren't strong enough.

I actually had this problem with the first marine I magnetized, he was wobbly and picking him up was very difficult. Impossible to play with even. I upped the magnet size from 2x1mm to 3x2mm and it worked like a charm. The arms and backpack do not come off unless I want them to.

However I realize now that if you're using a less bulky model, like a Necron warrior, 3mm magnets might be out of the question.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 29, 2020

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

PinheadSlim posted:

Get a drill, get magnets, and never worry about it again! I finally bit the bullet and started and it's an extremely liberating feeling.

I agree with that, except when it comes to magnetizing small infantry.

I did it once with some Harlequins for Kill Team so I didn't have to buy more than two boxes for a full roster. That way lies madness.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

PinheadSlim posted:

I actually had this problem with the first marine I magnetized, he was wobbly and picking him up was very difficult. Impossible to play with even. I upped the magnet size from 2x1mm to 3x2mm and it worked like a charm. The arms and backpack do not come off unless I want them to.

Yeah I had 2x1mm magnets. Ah well mystery solved.

quote:

However I realize now that if you're using a less bulky model, like a Necron warrior, 3mm magnets might be out of the question.

My extremely normal necron warrior and his huge plate wrists.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Perhaps its the quality of magnets, I've used tiny neodymium ones for kataphorn destroyers and never had any issues.
Do magnets deteriorate over time?

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

They do, but it's like 5% of strength lost in 100 years. They do usually have a coating over the magnet though, often nickel. Sometimes if the magnet is kinda cheap that coating can crack or chip or flake away, but the magnet should still work.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/29/app-improvements-updates-and-a-month-free

GW has published a minor timeline for app updates. Guess they paid some attention to the critique it was getting.
Current subscribers even get a month free.

WT Wally posted:

They do, but it's like 5% of strength lost in 100 years. They do usually have a coating over the magnet though, often nickel. Sometimes if the magnet is kinda cheap that coating can crack or chip or flake away, but the magnet should still work.

Yeah I have a bunch of big magnets that have been doing that for a while. Dropped most of them in an unused plastic bottle to make sure I don't get flakes everywhere. Not that it stops them from being ludicrously strong still.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yeah, I just had my first experiments in magnetizing a hellbrute and a daemon prince. The hellbrute went great. The daemon prince I messed up and didnt drill deep enough, but I think I can position the pauldron at the right angle that shoulder joint will be mostly hidden.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/29/app-improvements-updates-and-a-month-free

GW has published a minor timeline for app updates. Guess they paid some attention to the critique it was getting.

Yeah I have a bunch of big magnets that have been doing that for a while. Dropped most of them in an unused plastic bottle to make sure I don't get flakes everywhere. Not that it stops them from being ludicrously strong still.

Literally the only feature I feel may have been worth it is tracking your crusade force, since its matched play only, I'll stick with battlescribe.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why does this app cost as much as Disney+

Also am I reading correctly that you get 8th edition things for "free" but have to buy 9th edition stuff and add it to the app? Like new codex rules are not included for this price?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

JBP posted:

Why does this app cost as much as Disney+

Also am I reading correctly that you get 8th edition things for "free" but have to buy 9th edition stuff and add it to the app? Like new codex rules are not included for this price?

Yup, you're paying a fiver a month to use their army building feature, and the easily searchable rules feature

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

gently caress that for a joke.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Cooked Auto posted:

At least now they're somewhat transparent about how long the app is going to be useless.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
To anyone that's opened up/built Indomitus - are the captain's 3 helmet options separate heads or just a visor piece you can fiddle with?

If heads, the second question - is the Judiciar's head swappable/would one of those captain heads fit?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BaronVanAwesome posted:

To anyone that's opened up/built Indomitus - are the captain's 3 helmet options separate heads or just a visor piece you can fiddle with?

If heads, the second question - is the Judiciar's head swappable/would one of those captain heads fit?

Yeah it's three heads and you can easily head swap the Judiciar. Just leave the head out of the easy to build process and stick one in normally later on.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BaronVanAwesome posted:

The captain has three separate heads. The Judiciar should accommodate any of them provided you're willing to cut away a mounting post used to secure it via push-fit and use glue instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

JBP posted:

gently caress that for a joke.

$5 for an edition's worth of codexes seemed like a good deal, but then you don't actually get the codex - just cliffsnotes.

I cannot recommend this app.