Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ray tracing has been the first thing in a while that's made me stop and stare at a game, it also makes minecraft incredibly zen, not that I play it but I spent more time than I expected to in it looking around at all the effects and poo poo.
I dunno, it's a bit gimmicky right now but it is very much a jaw dropping thing when done well, when it filters down to all GPUs I think it'll become a standard thing, like anti aliasing etc did.
It's really cool to behold though to me, it's a graphics improvement that actually makes a difference to the games atmosphere, so I think it will catch on eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I like good graphics, video games are a visual medium, gimme soemthing nice to look at. Better graphics give artists more tools to work with and more ways to make games beautiful, photorealistic or not. Graphics don't make a game good but better graphics always make a game better.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Graphics peaked in the PS2 title Killer 7. That was as far as we ever needed to go and games have just gotten worse since then. Really makes you think.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ruffian Price posted:

I inject motion blur into games that don't have it :v:

I sometimes drink while gaming too.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

That exact magazine was the reading material in the toilet at the tiny PC repair shop I worked at as a youngun, man what a flashback :v:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Literally A Person posted:

Graphics peaked in the PS2 title Killer 7. That was as far as we ever needed to go and games have just gotten worse since then. Really makes you think.

killer7 looked like butt on the ps2 compared to the gamecube

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

food court bailiff posted:

killer7 looked like butt on the ps2 compared to the gamecube

loving LETS FIGHT!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Depth of field is another graphics feature like motion blur where I don’t get why they added it to every game, especially first and third person shooters.

Motion blur I always think looks bad, depth of field I can at least see how it could be used well. For something like staring down iron sights where there’s a particularly point you would be focusing your eyes on, it makes sense. I don’t get why it’s just thrown in to games in general, the way you look at a computer screen when playing a game is not a direct match for how a camera works in real life.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Moon Monster posted:

By the time the N3DS came out non-Nintendo developers had pretty much completely moved on from trying to develop for the gimmick like they seem to do for all of Nintendo's gimmicks.

iirc most devs don't want anything to do with nintendo's generational gimmicks but if they wanted the license in the ds/wii/3ds days (especially at launch), they needed to shoehorn in whatever mechanic they could. it's why you had that ds castlevania game where, after bringing a boss's HP to 0, you had to trace lines on designs that looked like they were drawn by an unpaid american intern.

if you didn't, the boss would recover and you'd have to fight it again

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the 3D in the 3DS is cool as poo poo and i always leave it on, although after getting a New 3DS i don't think I'd be able to go back to the old version without the improved face tracking magicks

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Every new game: open settings

- Subtitles on
- Motion blur off
- Depth of field off
- Film grain off
- Windowed fullscreen

smh if you do anything different.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I turn film grain on and then download ReShade and add another layer of Film Grain on top of that.

Then I throw on a sepia filter for some loving reason.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I use reshade to crank the curves to a ridiculous level, then add in bloom.

:sickos:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Don’t forget to tack on some chromatic aberration!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Chomp8645 posted:

- Subtitles on
- Motion blur off
- Depth of field off
- Film grain off
- Windowed fullscreen

Literally same.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
TBH I actually was the one guy who liked the film grain in ME1.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chomp8645 posted:

- Subtitles on
- Motion blur off
- Depth of field off
- Film grain off
- Windowed fullscreen

it would be nice if subtitles weren't necessary because, but modern games have absolutely horrible sound balancing. every studio cranks up the low and high ranges of their sfx and then when you turn voice volume up to max it's maybe half as loud and clear as sfx at 40%.

when you aren't reading subs you can enjoy the way the scene is "shot" or appreciate the set design, but then you won't be able to understand anything because the VAs' lines have either been mastered into a dull mumble, or their source is set from behind the camera, or perhaps on the other side of a wall

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Chomp8645 posted:

- Subtitles on
- Motion blur off
- Depth of field off
- Film grain off
- Windowed fullscreen

Mostly agree but what's wrong with depth of field?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I say most effects are good as such, if used correctly.

Like bloom sucked, so did almost all first instances of motion blur and DoF but tech evolved. Blooming is an essential part of light behaviour so its basically good and today we have great highlights where they need to be.

Motion blur is often object based today, and f.e. in every racing game object based motion blur adds to the scene. It doesn't happen IRL usually since our brain works different and tries to suppress blur, but it's close enough to our perception of especially unfocused fast moving objects so it just works.

Film grain works against the overly clean CG look. I don't mind it most of the time since it seldom is implemented annoying or bad, often even comes with intensity sliders today. It can add a subtle depth to the image.

DoF is also something we don't see and only know from photos and movies, but again it can help to focus a scene or enhance an artistic effect.

Chromatic abberation imo just loving sucks since it's more of a dumb glitch from cameras that makes my brain hurt because it blurs a scene where I'm trying to focus on. It is used like film grain and fucks with the perception. DoF is usually used different and earlier in the days, when it was used as a distant filter to occlude low-res environments, it was usually not the area where the eye was focused on.

next cool thing to look forward to is this
https://vimeo.com/371920562

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Mostly agree but what's wrong with depth of field?

depth of field is fine in a movie because as an analog machine, the lens of the camera mimics the focus of the human eye. the director and the crew know what's important in the shot and can use it artistically, or to the advantage of the scene.

depth of field is bad in a video game because it's a digital lens with no physical materials to focus on. this is okay in cutscenes (when it isn't bugging the gently caress out) because the developer can manually set the focus and frame it just like in a movie (unless it bugs out). but in actual gameplay, the focal point just defaults to the PC position (again, provided it isn't bugging out), which causes problems for a player who is looking at anything outside of the faux-focus. if you're trying to look at a detail near to the camera, or further from the player in the distance, it'll be blurry and out of focus because the game itself isn't capable of determining where the player WANTS to look; just where it's programmed to focus.

this is all working under the very generous assumption that it isn't bugging out and decided to lock focus on an NPC who has long since gone out of the frame and the world is getting blurrier and blurrier the further you get from him

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
That makes sense, I was asking because it mostly seems limited to cutscenes in games I've played. Something like MGS5 wouldn't have the same cinematic feel without the use of DOF in its cutscenes and I don't think it was used at all in actual gameplay. If so it was never distracting enough for me to notice.

Compare that to something like motion blur where I'm not sure I've ever seen a good implementation of it and it shows up all the time. The Spyro remake was drat near unplayable unless you turned it off.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

That makes sense, I was asking because it mostly seems limited to cutscenes in games I've played. Something like MGS5 wouldn't have the same cinematic feel without the use of DOF in its cutscenes and I don't think it was used at all in actual gameplay. If so it was never distracting enough for me to notice.

Compare that to something like motion blur where I'm not sure I've ever seen a good implementation of it and it shows up all the time. The Spyro remake was drat near unplayable unless you turned it off.

when it's used well (like I'm sure mgs5 does) then it's fine. it's a good technique if you're using it to ~~ enhance the cinematic experience ~~ of your game in choice moments.

but when people use it for dubious reasons it looks really bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xniGvumZSoc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_G7XDyXOdY

it's a really odd choice in most games where the camera is an extension of the player. your brain in real life is really good at focusing on whatever you're looking at, in fps and 3ps games, your eyes are mostly darting around the image, looking at the periphery and back at the centre, not fixed in the centre where the crosshair is.

motion blur for the most part outside of things like racing games I just don't get. especially when games by nature have very high framerates that you would expect to have less motion blur with (vs movies at 24fps) than more.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Capcom's releases of the last couple of years (DMC5, the last couple REs) have "Dynamic Range" settings for audio which is fantastic and should be an industry standard for bigger studios IMHO. Low range compresses stuff so it's much more even, high range is the one where explosions will blow your ears out if you've turned up to hear whispering v/o work etc.

Works differently to that nebulous "headphones/tv/home theater" thing where it can be hard to tell what the difference actually is other than maybe a bit of overall eq and stereo width adjustment.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Chomp8645 posted:

- Subtitles on
- Motion blur off
- Depth of field off
- Film grain off
- Windowed fullscreen

Gonna out myself as a noob here:

What's the difference between full screen and windowed full screen?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Windowed fullscreen (also known as "borderless windowed" or similar) makes alt-tabbing work much better, and sometimes can give a small performance boost.
Game still fills up whole screen real estate but generally behaves better.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the #1 thing i dont like about fancy graphics is that they slow down bootup times, even on a fast pc. i like it when my games load instantaneously

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

NonzeroCircle posted:

Windowed fullscreen (also known as "borderless windowed" or similar) makes alt-tabbing work much better, and sometimes can give a small performance boost.
Game still fills up whole screen real estate but generally behaves better.

This can depend though. I've had games behave very weirdly on WIndowed Fullscreen but not on regular Fullscreen.

For some reason my computer ran hot (not dangerously so but definitely noticeably) when I had Greedfall in windowed full screen but not in regular. Also there was some weird screen tearing that changing it fixed as well. I'm assuming a lack of optimization was part of it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
How odd- I always switch to borderless without thinking about it because so many games mysteriously ran like garbage in normal fullscreen, my PC and GPU aren't top of the line but not exactly a slouch either (i5 3570k clocked at 4.2ghz, gtx 970).
Maybe I'll try running stuff in fullscreen more often, but dicky alt-tab behaviour does my head in.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
My claim to fame is that I added fog to the Quake 2 engine. Woohoo!

e:It's actually only a few lines of OpenGL calls, but the real trick is to know where to splice the code into the rendering pipeline.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

Ray tracing has been the first thing in a while that's made me stop and stare at a game, it also makes minecraft incredibly zen, not that I play it but I spent more time than I expected to in it looking around at all the effects and poo poo.
I dunno, it's a bit gimmicky right now but it is very much a jaw dropping thing when done well, when it filters down to all GPUs I think it'll become a standard thing, like anti aliasing etc did.
It's really cool to behold though to me, it's a graphics improvement that actually makes a difference to the games atmosphere, so I think it will catch on eventually

It's hard to understate how big of a deal ray tracing is. Most of the features that have been used to sell bullshit incremental GPU upgrades to us over the years have just been clever algorithms to do a little bit of what ray tracing can do implicitly, but poorly and at a huge computational savings. Ray tracing will eventually replace all of it, and look better, with a lower cost of entry to developers who want to make a really pretty game with intuitive natural lighting. RTX today is not this, and struggles to even play minecraft at resolution with a fully raytraced pipeline, but in 5-10 years when it's broadly supported by consumer GPUs, game consoles and developers alike, it will be cool and nobody will be complaining

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

poverty goat posted:

It's hard to understate how big of a deal ray tracing is. Most of the features that have been used to sell bullshit incremental GPU upgrades to us over the years have just been clever algorithms to do a little bit of what ray tracing can do implicitly, but poorly and at a huge computational savings. Ray tracing will eventually replace all of it, and look better, with a lower cost of entry to developers who want to make a really pretty game with intuitive natural lighting. RTX today is not this, and struggles to even play minecraft at resolution with a fully raytraced pipeline, but in 5-10 years when it's broadly supported by consumer GPUs, game consoles and developers alike, it will be cool and nobody will be complaining

Agreed. For any artists that might be reading this, ray tracing means no more wasted time baking levels, textures and lighting. Everything will be computed on the fly and it will look amazing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

NonzeroCircle posted:

Works differently to that nebulous "headphones/tv/home theater" thing where it can be hard to tell what the difference actually is other than maybe a bit of overall eq and stereo width adjustment.
From what I've seen nowadays this is just the dynamic range setting with the names changed to not intimidate people.

Games should do simplified decay audiometry on startup, analogous to the way they make you set up brightness. Play some representative foley loop, tell players to set the max level they would be comfortable with, then start lowering volume and show a prompt to press continue once it's hard to hear. Done.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The original watch dogs so far (midway through act 2) plays better as a gta-like than any of the GTA games I've played, and I don't know what all of the negative press the game appears to have gotten is all about.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Probably not unpopular, but stop assuming I sit four feet from the television because it’s in 4K. Just give me options so I can read text comfortably from my couch. Thank you.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Most of the Watch Dogs criticism I remember was about Aiden being a Dark Knight Jr. more than anything specific to the gameplay. Some folks had issues with the vehicle handling. I thought it was a fun game and it's one of very few triple A open world games I actually completed.

I own Watch Dogs 2 but I only put about six hours in before I guess I got distracted by something else and I never went back to it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The 90's were a magical time for video game magazines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was older than I should have been but I couldn't bring myself to ever play Counter-Strike again when I found out the bullet spray patterns were pre determined.