Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
anybody here still playing Arma 3? think I might get a better computer for gaming for the coming double whammy of quarantine+terrible midwestern winter.

i haven't played anything since the first Arma, which I spent most of the time in editor mode loving around with all the mods I downloaded, trying to see if I could simply script a couple Blackhawks to do an air assault or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Theres still a fairly active group of goons that play from games, big mod repo, but they're good dudes and fun to play with. i can pm the discord if you want.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Ghost of Tsushima is game of the generation for me, easily one of the most enjoyable video games I've ever played.

Reviews that claim the main character, Lord Jin Sakai, is flat and uninteresting clearly didn't play much of the game. Sure, he is a stereotypical stoic samurai that has a firm control over his emotions but he's also empathetic and cares about the suffering of his people and is willing to work with the social outcasts of society. It's pretty obvious he's literally a noble, everywhere you go you're referred to as "Lord Sakai" or "my lord" and not everyone you meet has a positive view of samurai. Many have grievances over past treatment by samurai. There's one minor encounter where you run into a farmer that fled and left his family behind when the Mongols attacked and Jin's initial reaction is disgust at the farmers cowardice but you can tell he realizes "this dudes a farmer, he couldn't have done anything" and then continues to treat the man with kindness and encourages him to help others survive the Mongol invasion. There's not a whole lot of emotionally intelligent AAA video game protagonists that also enjoy meditating in hot springs and composing haikus.

I feel like this game perfectly understands how progression should work in an open world game. There are no levels and you can tell how hard an enemy is by their equipment. There are 3 acts and each act introduces new equipment and techniques to learn and upgrade. All the ?'s on the map are upgrades or vanity items, none of them are useless. It's not like Witcher 3 and just getting tons of junk you'll never use. There's also no inventory management. You find items used to upgrade your equipment while doing literally everything so it's not a chore to upgrade your stuff, you can just do it as it becomes available and prioritizing whichever equipment you use the most. Same goes for technique points used to upgrade sword stances, ghost weapons and samurai skills.

The combat is extremely satisfying and the things you can do gradually get more complex as you unlock new techniques and abilities. Every attack is deliberate, wildly swinging your sword will get you killed. When you really "get" the combat system and are able to quickly switch from stance to stance depending on your opponent it looks like it's straight out of a samurai movie, as if in this 1v20 fight there was no other possible outcome than Jin completely annihilating everyone present. In combat Jin is loving terrifying and enemies will react accordingly sometimes, like dropping their weapons and falling down and backing away in terror after you just cut their friend to pieces. Jin also likes to ride up to Mongol forts and challenge the most badass dudes they have to come and fight him (the standoff mechanic), up to 3 with fully upgraded technique, up to 5 when combined with a armor set in Act 2. A successful standoff results in each dude killed in one strike of your sword.

Visually this is the most beautiful game I've ever played. There is a ton of variety in the environments and they are all breathtaking. There is very minimal use of a HUD and waypoints only show up visually when you're right on top of them if you have one selected. Otherwise the direction the wind is blowing is how you tell which direction to go to get to the waypoint you have selected. Interesting locations or "?s" are pretty easy to find naturally since they're usually visually distinct from their surroundings. There are also these yellow birds that are easy to spot that you can follow to a "?".

If you at all enjoy open world games you should do yourself a favor and go and buy the best open world game ever made. I'd post screenshots from the photo mode but haven't hosed around with how to get them off my PS4.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016
I completely agree, it is an amazing game and I have been playing it a lot without getting bored, which is rare for me now. It makes you feel like you are actually fighting a war for your home and you want to see how it will turn out. Pretty difficult in the beginning on hard, but it gets easier with skills and upgrades. Also the best graphics and art direction I have seen in a game. Reminds me a bit of Morrowind when I first played it and I would love Morrowind remake in this style and engine.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I didn't find this on steam, console exclusive?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

not caring here posted:

I didn't find this on steam, console exclusive?

Yeah, but like Horizon Zero Dawn, so I wouldn't be shocked if it shows up on PCs in a few years.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, but like Horizon Zero Dawn, so I wouldn't be shocked if it shows up on PCs in a few years.

sonys pushing steam to counteract MS having pc and consoles

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That's cool, I'm patient.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/attacushuntman/status/1285156429217689601

It seems like a cool game even though some people complain that it goes on and on about samurai honour 500 years before bushido was invented

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

idc its a new bushido blade

bushido blade fuckin ruled

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It doesn't go "on and on" about anything, certainly not about glorifying samurai honor. If the complaint is that there are samurai in the game and that they value honor 400 years before Bushido was invented then I think that's a strange complaint. Warrior castes that value personal honor is hardly unique to samurai and Bushido didn't just coalesce out of nothing.

Most of the characters you interact with aren't even samurai, they're mostly a commoners and a handful of criminals and other outcasts.

A pretty big part of the game is Jin trying to maintain a balance between his values as a samurai and Mongol technology and "dishonorable" tactics used by criminals.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

crap sorry i put this in my head when i saw that japanese tweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOJ_sYrQ5Gs

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
If ever a game was gonna get a lot of wannabe weebs riled up about stupid poo poo, it'd be this one

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I just downloaded it and graphics once you get into the actual story are amazing. I'm standing in the middle of a lake just staring at the golden forest.

I have a feeling I'm just going to explore and save quests for the end.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah im looking forward to the pc port eventually

street fighter v had been pretty much a shitshow, which was way more capcoms fault but done on sony's dime and after sf4 it was obvious a pc port was needed. Death Stranding runs awesome

idk how much of it is because team Kojima pretty much took the Decima engine and made it their own that the port runs better than even mgsv did, but it's promising definitely for hzd. I cant see them not doing a pc port eventually to not cut into the console sales but w/e ghosts looks great

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Hell yea I'm looking forward to HZD next month :toot:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I genuinely envy anyone playing HZD for the first time, that was just an amazing game and the most fun I've had in a game in years.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Feels good playing Stranding on gorgeous PC settings and knowing that I’ll be able to move to PC HZD after. Played neither on PS4 and Ghost of Tsushima is about to monopolize my PS4 via my wife.

Stranding is really good for one story delivery or some exploration before bed after a poo poo long day of IRL work.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

oh man I can not wait to see a bunch of GIP folk play Horizon for the first time

Going to be funny seeing all the GIP gently caress TED FARO posts

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

oh man I can not wait to see a bunch of GIP folk play Horizon for the first time

Come on man, still trying to get a blue rose. Don't make my queue bigger.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It’s just one of those reminders of a genuine single player experience, top 5 for me for sure. I wish I could forget it and experience it all over again.

There is a skill in the skill tree to the far right they added on the DLC I believe related to resource gathering. The game is fun, but does have some hamfisted resource poo poo. Make sure you level that up first.

But the combat is super fun, and once you’re stringing combos wrecking robo dinos it is dope. The lore was a refreshing take on how culture might transpire.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I bought the DLC but still haven't played it. One day...

Meanwhile, I'm finally finishing AC Odyssey (I bought it last year and put it on ice after life events got in the way). gently caress, I love this game.

Honestly, the more I play it, my hot take is that it was better than RDR2.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

It sucks how they went cheap and just used the same VA for multiple female characters

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm really enjoying outer worlds

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Battletech owns so much, I've killed exactly 1 mech via headshot, and it was a stray shot on a full health enemy lmao. I saved a bit and bought an archer and now I just obliterate everything under a rain of LRMs. No salvage, no worries :haw:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Battletech owns so much, I've killed exactly 1 mech via headshot, and it was a stray shot on a full health enemy lmao. I saved a bit and bought an archer and now I just obliterate everything under a rain of LRMs. No salvage, no worries :haw:

There is very little better than a bullshit lucky headshot on a massive mech that would have destroyed at least half your lance by itself. I got one on a Battlemaster very early in a campaign game and things became somewhat easier for me after that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ya gotta give em the Highlander Burial (drop kicking someone with a jumping Assault mech). There's a cheevo for doing it with a Highlander.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Anybody here play Postscriptum?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
You ever just find some tall grass and let Sam take a nap for an hour or three while listening to chill Icelandic music?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

theres a prepper in the eastern region to make those moments a lil better

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

paging lingcodkilla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnyAw50x92k

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEgBsqUsq0

tetris krew

we're back again

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Awwww poo poo, here we go again.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I just finished playing through Prey for the first time and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm5KI8zSeVs

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

The Rat posted:

I just finished playing through Prey for the first time and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm5KI8zSeVs

Now do mooncrash. It'll make you want to declare exterminatus.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

This is cool and good.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Absolutely. Kojima nonsense plots are my jam.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If you accept the basic premise of the beach then Death Stranding makes perfect sense if you actually watch the cutscenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i still dont know what a beach is

im 90 hours in