Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
are universities not going to be desperate for students this year with corona drop outs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

el dingo posted:

Mature student sounds very assuming

i usually consider the word in the context of cheese

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Dysgenesis posted:

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

I'm 41 😞

Whoa how'd did I miss this

Happy expulsion from utero anniversary

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Good luck Bobby D studying your ma

NotJustANumber99 posted:

are universities not going to be desperate for students this year with corona drop outs?

Presumably with significantly less foreign students too, unis have been run for profit so long that this makes me smile

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Solefald posted:

What's an ma?

Irish for the ma

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

up the ma

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bobby Deluxe posted:

creative writing

i did a ba in it 10 years ago and one of the lecturers i liked is now programme leader

the formal deadline is way past but facebook is still giving me ads saying its not to late to apply etc

when i did my ba i circumvented ucas by applying directly as a mature student so am hoping it might work this time as well

uni's will be desperate for anyone willing to give them money rn. i need to write my personal statement but i'm applying direct to uni. it still lets me so i assume i can

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I had my uni call me the other day asking if i was gonna submit my masters application after I didn't bother cos the 'deadline' passed

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
yeah they've basically just lost a full year of international students to covid + brexit and are desperate for money

almost tempted to make my personal statement "I'm going to pay £7400" and nothign else

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the letter i wrote was 'hi remember me? i made a point that genuinely threw you mid lecture

i know the deadline has passed but the uni is still putting ads up on facebook and the press are saying courses are undersubscribed nationally

congrats on becoming course leader btw, so do you still have spaces and is it too late to apply

lots of love

bobby d
graduating class of blah'

that but with capitals and stuff

its a good letter i hope, i genuinely want to do it because as i understand it i can make my ma 'write a novel' which i want to do anyway

and then it gives me a year to try and think up a phd topic that lindsey ellis hasn't already done a youtube video about

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jose posted:

yeah they've basically just lost a full year of international students to covid + brexit and are desperate for money

almost tempted to make my personal statement "I'm going to pay £7400" and nothign else

If you really want to test the theory send a picture of your arse

or sit on a scanner and send that, as we did in the days of olde :corsair:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Bobby D asking lectures if they've managed to find their P-spot mid-lecture

I respect that

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
hey ratty I wanna sit up all night and count bats and get paid for it how do I get in on that sweet sweet action?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

and then it gives me a year to try and think up a phd topic that lindsey ellis hasn't already done a youtube video about

No do one she has already made a youtube video about and steal it

(don't really steal it but hey, good jumping off point)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The unis have spent all their income building 'luxury' student accommodation to fleece their intake and now there's no students to fleece lol.

Good luck trying to convince people that 9 grand a year for a bunch of incompetently delivered Zoom lectures is an unmissable bargain.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

No do one she has already made a youtube video about and steal it

(don't really steal it but hey, good jumping off point)
i wanted to do one about death of the author and jk rowling but apparently she even went and did a dissertation which the video is based on

so it woukd be pkagiarism of the paper

eggh

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do one about the life of the author

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My mum is trying to convince me to watch Hamilton ugh urgh blurg bleeeuurrggghhhh

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i wanted to do one about death of the author and jk rowling but apparently she even went and did a dissertation which the video is based on

so it woukd be pkagiarism of the paper

eggh

Do one about the inescapable approach of death to all things and the interrupted nature of the self given sleep, and whether we should therefore consider all authors dead on release of their work, copyright accordingly and conduct all author readings as though they are seances.

Or one about if we can un-cancel all works by contentious authors by having an AI write a book with the same plot in their style.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Supposedly the uni I work at is having a great year for student recruitment. They barely have any international students in normal times though, so their situation is not representative of the sector by any means. I also don't work for the admissions department so they could be bullshitting.

I guess if it's a choice between entering the job market in 2020 or delaying it for 3 years at the cost of some fake debt that doesn't matter, then people will take the debt.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

hey ratty I wanna sit up all night and count bats and get paid for it how do I get in on that sweet sweet action?

Be a self-employed ecologist whose entire workload evaporated with the virus, then beg any large firm to put you as a subby on their larger contracts.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

it helps if your parents are murdered in front of you on the way home from the cinema

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

why not do a coursera course because it's from the university of eastern prussia and has a cool picture and then get bored and stop doing the tests halfway through

i think you can pay like £30 for a certificate you can print out on a laser printer and then that's £7370 for ketamine

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
a k-hole big enough to fit your giant head

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I was entertaining the idea of having a part time research masters at Imperial about fondling dirt and writing it off as a business expense (HMRC guideline is quite vauge but if you are getting a degree directly related to what you do, you can declare it as capital expense) but lol I am on "international" bracket until I get my ILR and just imagine paying 17k for a zoom chat to look at the white plaster of a college professor while their children yell in the background.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the author is not dead which may on twitter lie
and in strange aeons even gender may die

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Galewolf posted:

I was entertaining the idea of having a part time research masters at Imperial about fondling dirt and writing it off as a business expense (HMRC guideline is quite vauge but if you are getting a degree directly related to what you do, you can declare it as capital expense) but lol I am on "international" bracket until I get my ILR and just imagine paying 17k for a zoom chat to look at the white plaster of a college professor while their children yell in the background.

I believe you can only claim for courses that maintain existing knowledge and skills, rather than new ones. Might be wrong so do give it a go, it'll give someone at HMRC something to do for an hour.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I have bought some CHUNKY oven chips from Aldi and they are beasts

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
HMRC don't have enough people to do their proper work, are they really chasing people up for that sort of poo poo?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ratjaculation posted:

did you see the rees-mogg tweet too then

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Ratjaculation posted:

I believe you can only claim for courses that maintain existing knowledge and skills, rather than new ones. Might be wrong so do give it a go, it'll give someone at HMRC something to do for an hour.

My accountant was also positive about it but there is absolutely zero appeal for paying a school full international fees for online learning.

If I'm going to fund the dean a new yacht, by god I'm going to use that posh West London campus and labs of the Earth Sciences dept :colbert:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Total Meatlove posted:

a k-hole big enough to fit your giant head

it's more dangling the remainder of my body into empty space, like when Homer prevented the release of poison gas

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

fridge corn posted:

My mum is trying to convince me to watch Hamilton ugh urgh blurg bleeeuurrggghhhh

I've seen it and don't understand the hype at all.
It's... fine I guess but I never want to see it again.
Doesn't help that I dislike rap/hip hop

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

freelop posted:

Doesn't help that I dislike rap/hip hop

Must be hard being less cool than your mum.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

whilst he probably is less cool than his mum, its probably a different mum to fridge corn's mum.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Corn doesn't have a mum, he has a mom

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Ratjaculation posted:

Shame on you for not posting a picture, shame!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

why always homer? what is the homer lore