Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Still working on my baking. Trying to use up the AP flour so I can get a bag of bread flour.
Made hoagie rolls that didn’t really proof up past the size of baguettes, but made a delicious turkey/ham/provolone sammich for dinner last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

excellent bird guy posted:

Trying to make split pea soup but it is taking forever. The water took at least 4 hours to come to a boil and the peas are still hard. Of course I used lots of tumeric and stained my roommate's ladle green

That goes beyond irritation to food safety issues.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

toplitzin posted:

Boil water then add to crockpot.

Alternately: remove crockpot, add Electric Pressure Cooker and never look back.

It's not mine, my roommates. Yea it probably must be the crockpot since it took 4 hours to boil on high. I have an Instant Pot but the seal must be bad or something because it will let
pressure escape after seal/brought to pressure. I didnt bring it. gently caress, I will throw this poo poo out. The beans are dry and crumbly instead of split and soft after 15 hours.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I didn't really think crockpots were for boiling thing though. I know the upper bound on mine I marked like 190f or something.
When I make split pea soup I do it in a huge stock pot and simmmer,

In fact here are the instruction given to me from my dad. This specifies using a ham bone usually left overs after thanks giving/christmas. Ham hock should work too.

Split Pea Soup

Ingredients:
1 pound dried split peas
1 ham bone
1 small onion
3 carrots
3 sprigs of celery
1 potato
2 cloves of garlic
¼ teaspoon of thyme
½ teaspoon of olive oil
2 chicken bouillon cubes
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Sautee the onions and garlic in a large pot with the olive oil.
Add in the peas. Wait until the end to add salt because the ham might provide enough salt once it’s finished cooking. Fill pot with water just until it covers all the ingredients. Put on medium high temperature. Cook for 1 hour & 20 minutes. Add more water when it gets low. Stir occasionally.
Add in all the vegetables EXCEPT potato and continue cooking for another 15 minutes. Add chopped potatoes for last 25 min.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

It's not mine, my roommates. Yea it probably must be the crockpot since it took 4 hours to boil on high. I have an Instant Pot but the seal must be bad or something because it will let
pressure escape after seal/brought to pressure. I didnt bring it. gently caress, I will throw this poo poo out. The beans are dry and crumbly instead of split and soft after 15 hours.

Check your local Ace or other hardware store. Mine stocks a lot of pressure cooker seals and pieces for some reason. Probably the canning crowd.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mediterranean chicken and salad.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Kenji’s Tteok-bokki, super tasty

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

CaptainCrunch posted:

Still working on my baking. Trying to use up the AP flour so I can get a bag of bread flour.
Made hoagie rolls that didn’t really proof up past the size of baguettes, but made a delicious turkey/ham/provolone sammich for dinner last night.

These look great. Did you follow a specific recipe for the rolls?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

fart store posted:

Check your local Ace or other hardware store. Mine stocks a lot of pressure cooker seals and pieces for some reason. Probably the canning crowd.

They sell them on amazon too, that’s where I got the replacement seal for my ”Power QuickPot” knockoff.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Random Hero posted:

These look great. Did you follow a specific recipe for the rolls?

Thanks.
I used this recipe I stumbled on from YouTube.
https://www.ethanchlebowski.com/cooking-techniques-recipes/hoagie-rolls

Did not have the malt powder in that first batch. I ordered some and will try round two with everything else the exact same to see if I can get the proper proof to hoagie diameter.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Made Chef John’s Hawaiian Shrimp Scampi over rice. Came out pretty good. After I finished I realized it needed a little chopped parsley for a little extra taste and some green in the pictures. Still , wasn’t disappointed.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Salmon, lentils, roasted broccoli.

Drinks for the kitchen.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

CaptainCrunch posted:

Thanks.
I used this recipe I stumbled on from YouTube.
https://www.ethanchlebowski.com/cooking-techniques-recipes/hoagie-rolls

Did not have the malt powder in that first batch. I ordered some and will try round two with everything else the exact same to see if I can get the proper proof to hoagie diameter.

Heh, I stumbled onto the exact same recipe (having not heard of Chlebowksi before), ordered the malt powder, and baked them a few days ago. Hoagies for lunch three days in a row - I'm not complaining!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

blixa posted:

Heh, I stumbled onto the exact same recipe (having not heard of Chlebowksi before), ordered the malt powder, and baked them a few days ago. Hoagies for lunch three days in a row - I'm not complaining!

Small internet! My malt arrived today, planning on another batch Sunday night for weekday lunches.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Also, how did the algorithm give us all that video for hoagies?

Hot Italian beef is in my future.

Elfriede Shrempf
Jan 13, 2008
Great Job!

I haven't had eggplant parm in so long. That looks great!

I've been making some homemade sushi and tamagoyaki lately. Getting a little better.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

blixa posted:

The algorithm pushed him to pretty much everyone who has an interest in cooking videos, dude even mentioned it himself in a recent one.

Probably hit the critical mass of videos.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
kimchi fried rice with hot dog and shrimp

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

large hands posted:

kimchi fried rice with hot dog and shrimp

Need to swap the hotdog with spam next time for authenticity.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Elfriede Shrempf posted:

I've been making some homemade sushi and tamagoyaki lately. Getting a little better.

Strong omelette game here.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Stringent posted:

Need to swap the hotdog with spam next time for authenticity.

haha yeah, this was a "what do I have in the fridge" fried rice but the hot dog worked well

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

black beans and rice with some chicken, cilantro, lime juice

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Been super busy. My adventures with split pea soup (thanks for the advice) ended up as spicy vegetables and pea broth, strained. Now it's used for mushroom soup with white rice and lentils.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Had some in-laws come to the house over the weekend. I planned on just grilling, but my wife talked me into making an eggplant parm on a brutally hot day. She’s always raving to her family how good my eggplant is, so I really brought this on myself. Eggplant parm is pretty much my signature dish in the family. Came out delicious.

No photos of beautiful cross section pieces, but there will be more eggplant parms.

Very inspirational. I have to try to do this tomorrow.
Edit: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Eggplant_Parmigiana Will try this I guess, why not. Will use all last week's pea spice broth

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 2, 2020

Elfriede Shrempf
Jan 13, 2008
Great Job!
I made carrot lox for the first time. It was really good in sushi with cream cheese and cucumber but holy poo poo was it delicious as bagel & lox. I added capers, pickled shallots, dill, and everything bagel seasoning.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lord these Costco burgs are good.

Bread butter pickle, lettuce, bacon cheeseburger w/ mustard bbq sauce glaze, jalapeno-banana-hot cherry relish, slivered onion, ketchup, homemade onion roll.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Baked rainbow trout fillet and roasted potatoes with tarragon-shallot butter. Turns out the more you cook, the faster, easier, and less stressful it gets.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Sometimes the end of the week calls for some low effort chili.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Mayo and Horseradish sandwhich until i can get to the grocery store. Absolutely bad, the bread is soggy. But if you are really hungry food tastes better.
edit: Wasn't too terrible.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Got a bunch of homegrown cucumbers and tomatoes. Salad time!

Marinated some tofu in some balsamic vinegar and garlic first and then grilled it. Cubed up the tofu and tossed it with the tomatoes, cucumbers, and parsley.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

A few days ago, when I was younger and full of energy, I pulled a leg of lamb out of the freezer. Today comes and I'm feeling super lazy, but I know I need to cook it. I just hit it with S&P and some Herbs de Provence and roasted it in the oven. At the last minute I figured I should make a side, so I found some asparagus and broccolini and hit them with EVOO, S&P, and Za'atar and threw them in for the last 15 minutes.

Came out really good for how simple/lazy I was. Should have let the roast for more than 15 minutes, though. It was a bit of a bloodbath when I carved it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mayo and Horseradish sandwhich until i can get to the grocery store. Absolutely bad, the bread is soggy. But if you are really hungry food tastes better.
edit: Wasn't too terrible.
Can you post the recipe?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Entropic posted:

Can you post the recipe?

1 horse 1 radish

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Drink and Fight posted:

1 horse 1 radish

The horse is simple, where the gently caress am I gonna find a radish

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

I made this up tonight. I call it Red Peas and Rice.
God if i can have the energy to go to the grocery store I could eat better. Its fine but everything closes so early.
Update: Very filling, tastes good but makes you a little nauseous

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 4, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I made this up tonight. I call it Red Peas and Rice.
God if i can have the energy to go to the grocery store I could eat better. Its fine but everything closes so early.
Update: Very filling, tastes good but makes you a little nauseous

The dinner thread - tastes good but makes you a little nauseous

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yeah no poo poo it made you nauseous, there's like a cup of grease in that pan!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i hope those aren't the same peas from your experience with the slow cooker

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Cross post from the cspam cooking thread because someone asked for pictures of the Oklahoma onion burger. It is a smashburger so it isn't exactly super photogenic, but I gave documentation a try. Below is the copy/paste

i made oklahoma onion burgs the other night. it is a dish that has its origins in the great depression. onions were cheap and beef was not, so some inventive sooner decided to make burgers that were roughly half onion, half ground beef. the result was tasty, so it is still being made nearly a century later.

first thing you do is break out a mandolin and slice onion ribbons. if you haven't given your mandolin a blood sacrifice yet, use caution. if you have shed blood to the demon, use caution. you want them as thin as you can get 'em because you want them to cook really quickly. then ball up 1.5 to 2 ounces of ground beef, preferably 80/20.

i went a little bigger than the standard burger (probably 3 ounces?) because i had a onion roll to fill instead of a regular burg bun. On a screaming hot skillet or cast iron, plop your meat balls equidistant from each other and put a quarter of your sliced onion on top of each ball. It may look like too much, but it isn't.

once your balls are covered (lol) take your heaviest spatula or a spatula and a mug or something and press those balls flat. we're after smashburgers here. after a minute or so, flip the burgs onion side down

after another minute of cooking (less if you are using less beef) your onions should be browned and you want a bit of crust on the edges of the burg. top with cheese (i went with american because it melts quickly) and plop a couple patties onto the grilled burger bun or onion roll with some mustard and pickle slices if that's your jam. i don't care for pickles on my burg, but my wife does, so i gave her the pickle along with my crusty smashed balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

prayer group posted:

Yeah no poo poo it made you nauseous, there's like a cup of grease in that pan!

Not grease, coconut oil to fry then coconut milk to make it creamy.