Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s like the New Mutants epic collections I’ve been reading, which list the characters by superhero name on the back cover but call Danielle Moonstar “Moonstar” like that’s her superhero name: as in, “Join Professor X and new heroes Cannonball, Karma, Wolfsbane, Sunspot, and Moonstar in these exciting early adventures!”

I know it’s because her superhero names both suck, but it’s still weird and funny, like she already had an unbelievable superhero alias as her regular name. It’s kind of the same thing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s like the New Mutants epic collections I’ve been reading, which list the characters by superhero name on the back cover but call Danielle Moonstar “Moonstar” like that’s her superhero name: as in, “Join Professor X and new heroes Cannonball, Karma, Wolfsbane, Sunspot, and Moonstar in these exciting early adventures!”

I know it’s because her superhero names both suck, but it’s still weird and funny, like she already had an unbelievable superhero alias as her regular name. It’s kind of the same thing here.

she did go by Moonstar once but it was in X-Force when she reappeared in disguise as Definitely Not Dani Moonstar, which might have worked if her new alias wasn't Moonstar and she still looked like Dani Moonstar but with a mask

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

she did go by Moonstar once but it was in X-Force when she reappeared in disguise as Definitely Not Dani Moonstar, which might have worked if her new alias wasn't Moonstar and she still looked like Dani Moonstar but with a mask

Wasn't that when was infiltrating the MLF, too? The apparently very lax on security checks MLF?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I just finished re-reading All-New Wolverine, which obviously remains great, but I also enjoyed the X-23 (Vol. 4) run that followed it more on the re-read too. It's a shame it got cut short because I really liked what Tamaki was doing, particularly in growing Gabby (I think the Scout name change would have landed better if it wasn't in the final issue as a demonstration of her choosing her own path that is distinct from Laura's), and re-reading has the benefit of removing the annoyance at having Laura shunted back to X-23, presumably from the higher-ups. I liked reading X-23 Vol. 4 at the time, but viewed it as a lesser volume, but I think it's pretty equal, all things considered.

Olortegui does a fine job following on from Cabal (particularly the double-page spreads and his expressions work) and it's even a use of Beast where he's not terrible! Plus, X-Turkeys.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't that when was infiltrating the MLF, too? The apparently very lax on security checks MLF?

listen the MLF will take anyone they can get, Stryfe really can't afford to be picky

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alaois posted:

listen the MLF will take anyone they can get, Stryfe really can't afford to be picky

Wasn't it after Stryfe died and Definitely Not Sunspot Reignfire took over the MLF?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Reignfire." I had forgotten. :allears:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

Is Sasha Baron Cohen a mutant infiltrator in the Marvel Universe(tm, c)?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Wasn't it after Stryfe died and Definitely Not Sunspot Reignfire took over the MLF?

you right, I thought the Moonstar stuff happened earlier, but no it was during The Reign of Reignfire

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-Factor's pretty fun. Off to a good start, anyway.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Agreed, I loved every page. Very excited to keep up with this series.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/xmenduh/status/1288481894854778880

Also, you know, ouch.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

When I met with Leah for a zoom hangout a few months ago, she showed us this page because my buddy said something that was literally dialogue on it.

Leah is so excited to be doing X-Factor and this issue was so good. Other than Fallen Angels, it's a good time to be an X-Fan.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

I love that the art in X-Factor feels like it's ripped straight out of the animated Wolverine and the X-Men.

Also, liking the hooks developed for Vulcan this week.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Cyclops eating a cheesesteak would make a great av if we were still paying for those. (From Cable #2).

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 29, 2020

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Cyclops eating a cheesesteak would make a great av if we were still paying for those. (From Cable #2).

Cyclops did nothing footlong

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

This is good.

Lorna's been a mess over the years. I think I like the X-Factor version of her the most.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I forget Polaris exists like...80 percent of the time?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

On a minor X-Factor note, I love Baldeon's art, especially his fashion. Rachel is dressing for comfort and clearly care does not care beyond that. Respect.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

On a minor X-Factor note, I love Baldeon's art, especially his fashion. Rachel is dressing for comfort and clearly care does not care beyond that. Respect.

yeah Baldeon's art was really good in Domino and I expect it to continue to be really good in X-Factor

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, I feel like Lorna's characterization since Austen at least has pretty consistently been "kind of an ornery bossy bitch, hopscotches on the line of turning evil once in a while" but I can see how this was a pretty good interaction. And agreed on the issue, it was very well-written and constructed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I know the tails on speech bubbles get messed up all the time in comics but I really got a kick out of Goldballs Egg suddenly becoming Scottish in X-Factor this week.

This is a good post and I appreciate it

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I hope that's not one of the sandwiches Wolverine made.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I hope that's not one of the sandwiches Wolverine made.

Scott was in Philly to investigate something, met with some detectives who suggested he get a cheesesteak before he goes home, and the next panel is Scott looking happier than he's ever been because he's about to go to town on one.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

TwoPair posted:

I know the tails on speech bubbles get messed up all the time in comics but I really got a kick out of Goldballs Egg suddenly becoming Scottish in X-Factor this week.

I was wondering about Proteus there too. Seemed a bit off.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-Men loving love sandwiches

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Codependent Poster posted:

Scott was in Philly to investigate something, met with some detectives who suggested he get a cheesesteak before he goes home, and the next panel is Scott looking happier than he's ever been because he's about to go to town on one.

This was the hardest I've laughed at a comic book in a while, not gonna lie.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

X-Factor is real loving good, y'all.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It helps that aside from Daken I think I like literally every main character there. And even Daken has room to grow on me. Also, I had no idea Rachel could do that. This character is so OP.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gologle posted:

It helps that aside from Daken I think I like literally every main character there. And even Daken has room to grow on me. Also, I had no idea Rachel could do that. This character is so OP.

there's a reason why every event she's ever been involved with started with her immediately being debilitated or worse

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Gologle posted:

Also, I had no idea Rachel could do that. This character is so OP.

People always forget, but that's her original mutant power. It's how she Days of Future Past'd the Days of Future Past.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Yeah Rachel's mutant power is time stuff, the TK and telepathy are from the Phoenix Force, though that's probably been retconned back and forth a thousand times. The time stuff she does here is new and is amazing. gently caress this book is good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's weird when you think about how many characters have defining powers that aren't technically their own. Wolverine's claws, Rogue's super strength/flying, Rachel's phoenix stuff, Warren's metal wings (at least for a while), probably a bunch of others I forget.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Cloks posted:

When I met with Leah for a zoom hangout a few months ago, she showed us this page because my buddy said something that was literally dialogue on it.

Leah is so excited to be doing X-Factor and this issue was so good. Other than Fallen Angels, it's a good time to be an X-Fan.

I swear I've literally said "everyone forgets Rachel's chrono-skimming" before and I loving lit up when I saw that as actual dialogue. X-Factor rules.

:allears:

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Very fun week of X-books between Cable and X-Factor. Loved both.

Quick question - in Empyre: X-Men Penance is a character. In Cable #1 there is a reference to M. Does Monet have two codenames? Or are her twin siblings one of the the two and Monet is the other? If so which is which? I would assume Penance is the twins?

edit: Monet is seen in New Mutants #1 with her younger siblings who are both small and in Penance form. Going to assume she has two codenames or her initial was an oversight in Cable.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 30, 2020

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure she goes by Penance now, but M is still probably used a lot. Because her story is really loving confusing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
M is less a codename than a nickname. I believe it was X-Factor where she used to talk about being too fabulous to hide behind a codename.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/MutantMusings/status/1289923294934839299?s=19

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

If you'd like a new av you can post or PM me proof of a donation to RAINN or another reputable charity. And as a general PSA I believe there's a thread in QCS to make this kind of request too. Anyway what I'm saying is that cheesesteak Scott can be yours and as a proud Philly girl I would love to see him chowing down all over BSS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Late to the party, but yeah, X-Factor was real good. I don't think I've read a book by Williams that I haven't loved.

Dawgstar posted:

As illustrated by her wearing JNCOs in tyool 2020