Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Open Marriage Night posted:

The last page of each issue has a quote from Kirby’s original run on Mister Miracle. The old fashioned bombast punctuates the uneasiness of Scott’s predicament. I hope a New Gods movie could be half as good as the book, but it’s a real toss up with DC’s film output.
I know I'm in the minority here, but those pull quotes (much as he used them in the Vision) felt less like the proud torch-carrying that I assume King intended them to be, and much more of a "look at this purple prose babyshit that used to dominate comics, my comics are about real world poo poo like suicide and the hollowness of fame and post-partum depression and REAL AWARD WINNING poo poo. Aren't you proud of me for advancing the genre?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
That's certainly a take, to be sure.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s a really good book, and Tom King has been outspoken about being against Trump and what he’s been doing with federal troops on American soil if that helps.

"You can't do that to Americans! Iraqis and Afghans, though? no problem" is not really as good as you might think it is.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 27, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Edge & Christian posted:

I know I'm in the minority here, but those pull quotes (much as he used them in the Vision) felt less like the proud torch-carrying that I assume King intended them to be, and much more of a "look at this purple prose babyshit that used to dominate comics, my comics are about real world poo poo like suicide and the hollowness of fame and post-partum depression and REAL AWARD WINNING poo poo. Aren't you proud of me for advancing the genre?"

I didn't read them quite so vitriolically but think it's a fair read-- I did read them as a somewhat stilted effort to contrast high and low in a pretty regressive way-- I think there's nostalgia and desire in the way he uses Silver/Bronze Age bombast but I don't think it's quite respect. This is even more pointed in his Adam Strange which is, so far, a profoundly unlikable comic.

When I was reading Mr. Miracle I kept wanting to compare how King used Kirby's language with how Morrison uses it-- I feel like Morrison, for all his faults, sees Kirby as kind of his William Blake and is really in awe of the hyperbolic emotional register of the New Gods stuff. I think he's really in love with that language and samples it as poetry whereas King is doing something a little more cynical (which isn't necessarily a drag, King's DC comics are a lot more cynical by design than Morrison's). At the very most generous there's disillusionment in Mr. Miracle that saturates the books relationship to Kirby.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I'm definitely probably being even harsher than I would have been when Mister Miracle came out because I was reading a bunch of interviews and may have recorded a podcast about Strange Adventures, and the vibe of sort of... cultural slumming? evident in King's interviews was heavy. I never quite know how much of it is sincere and how much is some sort of weird perceived back-patting for those special select smart fans, but King repeatedly talked about "advancing the artform" and how only a very select few might notice that Heroes in Crisis/Strange Adventures are based on three panel grids rather than nine panel grids, and bragging about how much time he thinks about innovating and changing comics and that's where he was inspired to do the never-before-seen concept of having two artists on a book drawing different stories/perspectives.

It's all very self-congratulatory, which in part is inherent in a publicity junket, but there's also a bizarre "maybe it's just me, maybe I'm a crazy visionary but.... maybe comics can be art? Maybe they can tackle serious issues? Maybe if I keep saying this book is an examination of the Pulp Hero's Role in Colonialism it will mean that I did it first, because a dozen creators before me were cowards and settled for subtext" thread throughout all of them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The praise for vision and Mr miracle really went to his head

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Desperado Bones posted:

Edit: Reading the comments I see a lot of people saying it looks as the artists used an action figure as a reference. And I'm starting to think that yes, the legs look as of those old dolls where the legs were attached to the sides of the hips. Eek. Search real people photos and get back to art school!

I was thinking that's the kind of mistake you'd avoid if you walk into a crafts store and buy a $15 articulated manikin doll.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/LiamRMcGuire/status/1287780791213264897

The update is that they didn't start working with EVS until 2019, not 2018 like reported.

So right in the middle of EVS's bullshit.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://twitter.com/comicsbeat/status/1288097096126668800

may not involve any sexual misconduct, so i guess that's something

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I still want to believe he just failed upwards and had incredibly bad editorial ideas, like a Ken Penders Artist's Edition or trying to exploit the sales spike for March by commissioning a sequel called April. Because at least that would be funny and not depressing like actual misconduct would be.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Edge & Christian posted:

I still want to believe he just failed upwards and had incredibly bad editorial ideas, like a Ken Penders Artist's Edition or trying to exploit the sales spike for March by commissioning a sequel called April. Because at least that would be funny and not depressing like actual misconduct would be.

According to the article the guy's a general lovely businessman and villain.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Jedit posted:

According to the article the guy's a general lovely businessman and villain.
Reading it now, there was really no context in the initial round of news articles. That's disappointing but not surprising.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/1288191231810580480

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1288566119377272832?s=09

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1288616755217207299

Aw.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That sucks, I like his art. Won't be seeing much of it from here on out.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Given EVS's track record, I might wait to hear from Rocafort himself on this one.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Codependent Poster posted:

That sucks, I like his art. Won't be seeing much of it from here on out.

Richard C. Meyer's book did pop up in a tweet of his from like last year.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1288636051712606210?s=20

https://twitter.com/Mitografia/status/1099197817875181569

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well that's a bummer, puts a stain on the ultimates since I love his art in it

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I know "looking at people's Twitter follows" is frowned upon for whatever reason for Rocafort only follows 114 people as of this moment and there's a lot of CG/CG-adjacent folks in there, most of them pretty recent follows.

Not just "fellow comics pros that have gone CG" like EVS, Jon Malin, Art Thibert, Shane Davis, etc. but also "YellowFlash", "Cecil", "Starwarsgirl77" and some other like low level people who you would really only follow if you want a lot of memes about virgin SJWs and how all woman editors are bad and Star Wars is cucked now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I hadn't heard about Art Thibert. Shame.

Also yes, the non-pros are a murderer's row of CG doofs. Cecil is the one that gave us the CG comic that broke Dynamite.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

I hadn't heard about Art Thibert. Shame.

This was my reaction too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jordan7hm posted:

This was my reaction too.

Some unfortunate evidence:

https://twitter.com/TessFowler/status/1288934855070294016

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It's not like Art Thibert has been subtle about it, he's been promoting his crowdfunded comic with #comicsgate for a couple of years now, and his YouTube channel has videos with titles like "Cancel culture is REAL", "Dynamite Comics is CANCELED", "Has Disney killed Star Wars?" "Marvel; they tried to destroy me", "Clarification on Ya Boi Zack's YT Comments", etc.

Graham Nolan is another vet actively promoting his comics under #comicsgate, appearing on CG streams, following TUG, thatstarwarsgirl, Cecil, BleedingFool, etc. etc. etc.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, tess fowler has cancer? My bff just had a tumor removed before covid got too bad, she was super freaked.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Sina Grace talks a bit more on his Marvel experience

quote:

On the subject of marvel comics ...

If we’re gonna talk about how Marvel does literally nothing about giving a leg up to marginalized creators and staff members, I’ve got another story to tell. Towards the end of my time there, I’d been getting a sense that marvel editors were lying about keeping me in mind for projects after iceman, and the following incident sealed the deal in terms of being told (not in any legally binding way) that I had overstayed my welcome at the house of ideas.

Sometime in 2018, an editor at a different publishing house asked if I’d pitch for an all-ages Spider-Man book they were licensed to produce. Considering I saw CB Cebulski have a conniption at a comic con party when another Marvel Comics writer told him he’d been courted to do the same for avengers, I asked that editorial to make absolutely sure marvel was cool with me pitching for this project. The editor got approval, and I wrote a drat good idea that was on the fast track to being the next arc in the series. For those who aren’t familiar, when you’re not a household name, pitching for a legacy character is quite a bit of work. Given my lifelong love of Spider-Man, it wasn’t exactly grueling to come up with a handful of ideas and then properly outline the one my editor liked the most… but it’s still work. All that being said, I felt great about the final document, and that I’d bought myself a few more months of being Marvel-adjacent so I could continue growing my reputation for being known for my writing chops, and rinse off the notion that I was ever anyone’s diversity hire.

Cut to a few weeks later, and my editor tells me that I can’t be used for the series. The exact words he relayed from Marvel were: “they’d like to keep the focus on iceman for now.” That e-mail came in the day I turned in my last script for Iceman. I reached out to Marvel’s talent relations guy, and he got me on the phone to explain a completely different reason why I was taken off the book: he said that Marvel only wanted people with experience in all-ages because there were different formatting rules than what goes into a standard comic script (a half truth that doesn’t matter when you read the next sentence). I mentioned that I did an all-ages book for Simon and Schuster, a middle grade series for Image Comics, short stories for Boom Studios, and edited an all-ages title for Robert Kirkman. The talent relations guy was like, “Oh, I didn’t know all that.” He then went on to say that Marvel had a list of people they wanted this editor to approach and as a result some wires got crossed and thus I was out of several months’ work. He didn’t offer to fix the problem, he didn’t offer to throw me on any number of space-filler mini-series that were just basically keeping Jonathan Hickman’s seat warm… nothing.

In response, I said to the talent relations guy: “Do you believe what you’re telling me?”

He didn’t have a particularly good answer.

Oh if you’re wondering: like NONE of the writers who did end up getting hired for these all-ages titles had legitimate experience with all-ages material. They’re all great writers and some of them are my homies, but it’s not like they came from scholastic or random house.

All of this is to say: I went above and beyond to make sure I was approved to pitch on a project, I worked my butt off and wrote something my editor was incredibly enthusiastic about, and then I magically got unpicked and wasn’t offered a reasonable explanation, a substitute gig, or a kill fee for the work I had put in on the proposal. Thanks, Marvel.

This whole debacle wasn’t included in a piece I wrote last year because the editor I was working with asked me not to. Given that his relationship with Marvel was already tenuous, he didn’t really need more pressure/ stress. This guy went to bat for me and helped get me one of my favorite gigs, and having been in his position as an editor dealing with multiple bureaucracies, I didn’t want to make his life any harder. But he’s no longer at that company, and he gave me permission to bring this up. So here we are.

I hate that I’m once again in a position where I have to call out Marvel on some BS, because I don’t know that anything positive will come from it, and that everything I’ve done in my career will once again be boiled down to: “semi-attractive queer comic creator complains about marvel comics.” Like, never mind that I’ve been at this since I was in high school, ran Kirkman’s imprint on my own before I was 25, and have gone on to write almost all of my favorite DC Comics characters after leaving Marvel. It’s lovely to be an individual talking about a beloved company… but it’s the right thing to do. The only thing I can 100% predict will happen from me speaking up is: a bunch of haters are going to get back on my dick again and make social media unbearable. To those folks, my birthday is on Monday… can you maybe not? Just this once?

Stories like what I’ve written need to be considered when discussing if Marvel has actually done anything to be accountable for not only hiring more diversely, but for fostering an environment where those people feel valued. My only advice to Marvel would be: loving hire a third party organization to teach you all how to do this right… you can’t keep propping Sana up on a podium and pat yourselves on the back for doing half of the bare minimum. I hate that I still love your books (I spent good money buying the oversized Silver Surfer Black collection), and I just wish that the gatekeepers were a bit more responsible and cognizant of how deep their behavior and apathy cuts. Granted, this is a company that has a bad reputation for not treating anybody fairly, so there is always the argument that Marvel Comics is just run by a box of pythons who indiscriminately poison and devour folks. I’m not sure… after 18 months away from them, I still try to excuse the bad behavior and blame myself for how things went down.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1289438896535740417?s=20

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Gail Simone is every woman working in comics.

This is almost certainly about that this bit from Angela: Queen of Hel by Marguerite Bennett that's been going around chud circles for 5 years usually credited as being from a Thor series

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

“Unsolicited opinions on Israel???” I’m amazed Gail only got complaints about her supposed misandry.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's also the bit in Jane Thor where she fights Absorbing Man and he says some misogynist poo poo about Thor being a women. That I thought was dumb, because he's married to Titannia, she wouldn't put up with that kinda crap from her spouse.

But, again, not Gail Simone, that was written by Jason Aaron.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hi im sorry uf this is the wrong place but ive been out of comics for a decade and looking at the threads i couldnt work out where to put this.

This randomly showed up on my youtube and i have no idea what algorithm made it think i would want it but ummm... i have no idea what this is or the greater context and was hoping to be educated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij7GSVjAZsI

Who is this (googling) welsh lady and what

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
For some reason it never occurs to these people to just not read certain comics.

Also I'm pretty sure Children of the Atom and New Warriors have been poo poo canned, since I can't find anything about them getting published since the covid lockdown and CotA isn't on the check lists in X-Men books and it was pre-lockdown.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
Children of the Atom is still coming out sometime.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I only scrubbed through the video, but it sounds like typical "I hate new characters" combined with "any diversity is forced" that's been going around fan spaces for years.

Safespace and Snowflake are tone deaf, though.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2020/03/marvel-criticized-first-non-binary-superhero-named-snowflake/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, it's really annoying that these asshats complain about every single bit of diversity because it means when there are real dumb bits of it you worry about getting lumped in with the CHUDs if you complain.

CotA also looks dumb as hell and barring some glowing previews will probably be the first X comic I dont buy. Yes I'm the idiot who owns every issue of Fallen Angels.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Uthor posted:

I only scrubbed through the video, but it sounds like typical "I hate new characters" combined with "any diversity is forced" that's been going around fan spaces for years.

Safespace and Snowflake are tone deaf, though.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2020/03/marvel-criticized-first-non-binary-superhero-named-snowflake/

I'll be honest i could see the CHUDiness of it (especially as looking at the videos author included referenced to cancel culture in regard to movie listings... yeah) but like I had to do a double take at Snowflake and Safespace and "they're a reddit moderator". It didn't feel like actual inclusion, it felt like the rapping anti-drug troupe coming to school version of inclusiveness. The Indominatable Spirit of comics.

Please tell me that this isn't an actual representation of comics trying to be progressive and that this is just some horribly off centre version and real representation and not this artificiality exists.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lid posted:

I'll be honest i could see the CHUDiness of it (especially as looking at the videos author included referenced to cancel culture in regard to movie listings... yeah) but like I had to do a double take at Snowflake and Safespace and "they're a reddit moderator". It didn't feel like actual inclusion, it felt like the rapping anti-drug troupe coming to school version of inclusiveness. The Indominatable Spirit of comics.

Please tell me that this isn't an actual representation of comics trying to be progressive and that this is just some horribly off centre version and real representation and not this artificiality exists.

It was a comic that was announced, then COVID shut down all comics publishing for 2 months, Marvel has been slow at ramping up their publishing and it hasn't been resolicited yet, so it might not ever actually get published, they haven't said any specific titles but Marvelhas said that some books solicited before the shut down will get cut, especially since no one anywhere on the political spectrum was looking forward to that book.

There's also some low selling books that got shuffled off to digital only (RIP Valkyrie, I guess that Hawkeye book starring the worse Hawkeye too) so if enough art was already done for it, it might become a digital only thing too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lid posted:

Can't quite parse the second paragraph but kibblesmith (the writer) definitely announced them as actual team members apparently not seeing how bad it looked. Then both him and marvel got yelled at by pretty much everybody and covid happened and no one's heard anything about the two characters or new warriors since

site fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 1, 2020

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lid posted:

Not entirely sure what you're asking but in general there are hundreds/thousands of comics that have been published in the past few years that have been attempts at allowing diverse voices/representation in comics, with varying levels of success.

This article focuses on the pre-publication promotional material for two books that haven't been published yet, one of which inspired a big backlash from the very "SJW"s who it was hypothetically meant to appeal to. It feels pretty cherry-picking to characterize an entire publisher/industry based on two books that have not been published.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

It feels pretty cherry-picking to characterize an entire publisher/industry based on two books that have not been published.

And I'm not convinced ever will be, whatever Jordan D White is saying right now.