Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Ugh ok I guess I should start filing bug reports then. At least if it’s not just me then it’s likely easily reproducible on a Pro at least. I give YouTube money every month, the least they could do is give me an app that works consistently.

E: I mean, consistently WELL.

lol I pay them as well and the app can't even be expected to play the next item I'm watching in a playlist so I don't expect them to rush to fix anything at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Did they fix the bottom buttons being on top of the home bar? They fixed it once and broke it again and it was like that for a while. When iOS 13 dropped I just deleted the app and use safari.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

101 posted:

Just throwing out that I really recommend Panels for comics. I tried them all a while ago and that's the one I stuck with. The dev team are super responsive to suggestions and they just released a big 2.0 library overhaul. It's nice.

It has a bunch of options for pulling in from servers but I just use a Dropbox folder.

Free to download and try out too.

That's a great suggestion, I also have Panels installed and my plan is to try both of them out and see how it goes.

bobfather posted:

I’ve used Chunky forever. The author has not implemented SMB v2+ support, so you can’t connect to SMB shares any more. Chunky FTP also fails with Windows’ IIS FTP server. I installed Ubooquity and got that working with OPDS, and I assume you could use Calibre in a similar fashion.

I tried to like Panels but it didn’t have great options for getting comics into it aside from drag and drop from Files.app, or something.

Yeah the SMB thing is weird and means I can't use SMB for my NAS in Chunky, luckily my NAS also supports AFP (and SFTP, etc. if it came to that).

Does anyone have any book-specific reading apps? I tried a couple of epub books in Chunky but it only seemed to render the images and no text. If the default Books app is the best one then I can live with it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My YouTube app life became exponentially better when I realized I could do the two finger expand gesture to enlarge a video instead of pressing the button.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

The Dave posted:

My YouTube app life became exponentially better when I realized I could do the two finger expand gesture to enlarge a video instead of pressing the button.

Yeah I think I’ve only ever done this and I’ve never had an issue.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Dave posted:

Oh ffs I never thought to do that 🤦🏻‍♂️

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Same, I tend to associate two finger expanding on iPad to just inaccurately zooming in on websites so I never tend do try it. Deffo will change that now.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

piratepilates posted:

That's a great suggestion, I also have Panels installed and my plan is to try both of them out and see how it goes.

Yeah the SMB thing is weird and means I can't use SMB for my NAS in Chunky, luckily my NAS also supports AFP (and SFTP, etc. if it came to that).

Does anyone have any book-specific reading apps? I tried a couple of epub books in Chunky but it only seemed to render the images and no text. If the default Books app is the best one then I can live with it.

I use hyphen which can connect via OPDS directly to calibre. Works well enough for my needs.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

The Dave posted:

Sometimes this works and I get the YouTube video in the native media player (with the fast forward, go back buttons). Other times it keeps the YouTube media player with the YouTube controls. Sometimes it also straight up fails and says this is not supported.

:shrug:

E: This is without the YouTube app cause I refuse to install it cause I hate how it makes every single YouTube link open in that dumb app.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I got a basic ipad and a pencil 1st generation, what are my options for an app to anotate pdfs or images or write stuff? exportation would be a nice feature too

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just use iOS’ native PDF annotation/markup features to sign PDFs and images. I’ve never really had cause to complain about what iOS gives me out of the box but I have very basic needs as far as that goes.

Writing, I’ll always recommend OneNote but that’s just because I live in OneNote.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sometimes this works and I get the YouTube video in the native media player (with the fast forward, go back buttons). Other times it keeps the YouTube media player with the YouTube controls. Sometimes it also straight up fails and says this is not supported.

:shrug:

E: This is without the YouTube app cause I refuse to install it cause I hate how it makes every single YouTube link open in that dumb app.

There's a bookmarklet you can install to bookmarks then click it on a youtube in safari video it'll full screen it into the native iOS player, with support for floating video player, etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I haven't checked, but with the Amazon app (which also intercepts all amazon links in my experience) you can bypass this by long-pressing the link and force opening it in a new tab. That seems to tell iOS that no, you really just want it open in Safari. I'll have to see if YouTube is the same.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Martytoof posted:

I haven't checked, but with the Amazon app (which also intercepts all amazon links in my experience) you can bypass this by long-pressing the link and force opening it in a new tab. That seems to tell iOS that no, you really just want it open in Safari. I'll have to see if YouTube is the same.

you are correct

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

I got a basic ipad and a pencil 1st generation, what are my options for an app to anotate pdfs or images or write stuff? exportation would be a nice feature too
Probably countless apps for that at this point, along with the aforementioned built in one.

The ones I use, mostly cause I’ve had them forever now, are PDF Expert and Notability. PDF Expert is more full featured I guess in terms of the usual digital annotation tools, while Notability is more like a free form draw on paper analog for the most part. For heavy Pencil use I prefer the latter just cause it’ll straight up ignore finger input for the pen tool, while I can get occasional errant marks and stuff in PDF Expert. It’s not bad or anything, but I feel like I have to be relatively more cautious with it.

But again there’s a bunch that can probably do it. I think GoodNotes is another one that pops up a bunch in terms of note taking, it probably has PDF annotation too. If anyone has used it and the others I’m curious what it’s like in comparison.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

japtor posted:

Probably countless apps for that at this point, along with the aforementioned built in one.

The ones I use, mostly cause I’ve had them forever now, are PDF Expert and Notability. PDF Expert is more full featured I guess in terms of the usual digital annotation tools, while Notability is more like a free form draw on paper analog for the most part. For heavy Pencil use I prefer the latter just cause it’ll straight up ignore finger input for the pen tool, while I can get occasional errant marks and stuff in PDF Expert. It’s not bad or anything, but I feel like I have to be relatively more cautious with it.

But again there’s a bunch that can probably do it. I think GoodNotes is another one that pops up a bunch in terms of note taking, it probably has PDF annotation too. If anyone has used it and the others I’m curious what it’s like in comparison.
yeah notability seems to be featured a lot, lots of yts about medial students for some reason

Martytoof posted:

I just use iOS’ native PDF annotation/markup features to sign PDFs and images. I’ve never really had cause to complain about what iOS gives me out of the box but I have very basic needs as far as that goes.

Writing, I’ll always recommend OneNote but that’s just because I live in OneNote.

im digging onenote but i was hoping for the written to text feature to be in the ipad version

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Let’s see if it can tap into whatever OCR magic the new iOS comes bearing.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

When I put my screen protector on, can I just peel the factory sticker off and skip the wet wipe?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Factory sticker, like on an iPad out of the box? Probably, but I’d still do it in a steamy room so dust isn’t flying around.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Omfg sorry if this is old news but youtube is loving finally 4K on my dev beta !!!!

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Does anyone know when the Logitech Folio Touch for the iPad Pro 11" is supposed to be released? Looking at it as a more affordable option to the Magic Keyboard. The website just says you can "pre-order" one (and only ships to the US; I'm in Canada).

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Does anyone know when the Logitech Folio Touch for the iPad Pro 11" is supposed to be released? Looking at it as a more affordable option to the Magic Keyboard. The website just says you can "pre-order" one (and only ships to the US; I'm in Canada).

In the US, at least, you can order it now through the Apple Store even though the Logitech site still just says pre-order.

Edit to add link: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HP8S2ZM/A/logitech-folio-touch-keyboard-case-with-trackpad-for-ipad-pro-11-inch-2nd-generation

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Which stand should I think about buying for 10"
Don't need anything fancy just a way to set it on it's side.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I ended up just buying whatever cheap stand Uncle Jeff was making GBS threads out vis AmazonBasics and it’s perfectly serviceable. I hate that the OEM keyboard cover doesn’t give me a good way to nightstand without a $5 gadget but ehh

cum
Sep 18, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

excellent bird guy posted:

Which stand should I think about buying for 10"
Don't need anything fancy just a way to set it on it's side.

Cheap folio case

cum
Sep 18, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any “acceptable” matte screen protectors that don’t make the screen grainy as poo poo?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I really loved the Paperlike 2 but it definitely gives it that matte screen look. But it felt so so good when drawing on it.

cum
Sep 18, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Disappointing Pie posted:

I really loved the Paperlike 2 but it definitely gives it that matte screen look. But it felt so so good when drawing on it.

I bought another brand that was recommended to me as the "least grainy" of them all, and it looked like poo poo. Does the Paperlike 2 eat nibs? Does the surface of the protector itself wear away quickly?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

How are the viewing angles on it?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Goddamnit. Two specs of dust caught under there. :argh:

Once its finished charging I'll give it a spin and see if they bother me.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Pro tip: apply screen protectors in high humidity areas, e.g. in the bathroom after a steamy shower. Dust can’t fly around freely in humid air.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I did that :( Bad lighting and I generally have a bad dusting record.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I felt amazing getting two screen protectors in a row on perfectly... for my friend's and my Nintendo Switch. I can't imagine doing an iPad. I convinced myself to not bother.

A few months and no scratches yet but it hasn't ever left the house lmao

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Honj Steak posted:

Pro tip: apply screen protectors in high humidity areas, e.g. in the bathroom after a steamy shower. Dust can’t fly around freely in humid air.

As long as it’s a decent screen protector, you can usually peel it up enough to grab dust with some tape or a sticker, and stick it back down. Though it works best if it’s near the edge.

I have to do that at work for customers since we don’t have a humid environment, and it’s a fairly dusty store.

Thin ones do tend to crack if you try it, and you have to be careful not to wad up the adhesive on the very edge or it’ll never stick right again.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

They're there off in a corner. I dont notice them while watching youtube or Netflix. If they continue to not be a bother then whatever.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just tried the new handwriting feature in iPadOS 14 and this thing is pretty drat amazing. I’m using the App Store version of Drafts which is text only and has nothing implemented to support the handwriting feature but It Just Works, and it works really well. It understands my chicken scratches (print), my poor excuse for cursive, and my usual mixture of print scribbles and cursive together. And the way it works is you just start writing anywhere there is a text input area and it takes over from there—you don’t need to stay within the input area (you can write anywhere on the screen and it’ll go into the text input field). Scratching out text to erase is works as expected. I wish there were gestures to insert spaces and new lines though (there is only the extremely tiny small buttons on the floating Pencil menu).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’d probably not going to happen but man it’d be nice if games would get updated to have proper mouse / keyboard support.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just tried the new handwriting feature in iPadOS 14 and this thing is pretty drat amazing. I’m using the App Store version of Drafts which is text only and has nothing implemented to support the handwriting feature but It Just Works, and it works really well. It understands my chicken scratches (print), my poor excuse for cursive, and my usual mixture of print scribbles and cursive together. And the way it works is you just start writing anywhere there is a text input area and it takes over from there—you don’t need to stay within the input area (you can write anywhere on the screen and it’ll go into the text input field). Scratching out text to erase is works as expected. I wish there were gestures to insert spaces and new lines though (there is only the extremely tiny small buttons on the floating Pencil menu).

Well drat I definitely will be getting a pencil then, that sounds awesome.

Does it show the penstrokes as you write it and then it disappears to become text?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

priznat posted:

Well drat I definitely will be getting a pencil then, that sounds awesome.

Does it show the penstrokes as you write it and then it disappears to become text?

Yep! I’d make a video of it but I’m sure people have already done that on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’d probably not going to happen but man it’d be nice if games would get updated to have proper mouse / keyboard support.

I don’t even know why Apple leaves it up to the developers. Minecraft has a keyboard options page but the game does not recognize my $180 “smart” keyboard as a valid keyboard. I’m assuming it wouldn’t recognize the $300 “magic” keyboard as a keyboard either.