Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Third World Reagan posted:

I now consider beastmen to be a warhammer 2 core race

"core" as in 'the bit that takes all the abuse and is utterly incapable of giving any back'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Beastmen are in a worse place then the Greenskins ever were, it's just their status as a DLC race and the complications/hesitancy of DLC for DLC that stopped them from getting all the love they needed, but now CA seems to have finally pulled the trigger on that.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

ad090 posted:

Beastmen are in a worse place then the Greenskins ever were,

Nope. Warhammer 1 Greenskins pre-their first lord pack were absolutely painful to play. Beastmen at launch were lauded as "its warriors of chaos but good" but it aged like milk.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Beastmen units really suck but the campaign mechanics seem relatively okay if a bit flat - I found Fightiness wasn't an absolute killer for Beastmen the same way it was for Greenskins. the main Beastmen campaign mods are pretty lightweight but they do a lot with only a few changes

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Everyone expects Warhammer 3 to have lots of chaos so I wouldn't be surprised by a Beastmen update then.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
They're probably planning some bigger overhaul for the Old World forces of Chaos, the Wood Elves are a way easier fix because their problem has always been the Amber system choking their progress at the start. But hey, that aside it's nice to get the love from CA and get TWO new Wood Elf legendary lords, I'm pretty drat down for that.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm real curious to see how they handle non Athel Loran starts for Wood Elves since Upgrading the Oak of Ages and confederating the other three regions is the main way you grow.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Ethiser posted:

I'm real curious to see how they handle non Athel Loran starts for Wood Elves since Upgrading the Oak of Ages and confederating the other three regions is the main way you grow.

Going to assume it'll have its own deal like Markus did for his DLC not having anything to do with the Imperial Authority stuff.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Motherfucker posted:

I don't think its very fair Skaven get a unit that can make all of the rules.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Sisters of Twilight vs Rakarth or Throt the Unclean trying to hunt/tame/experiment on some legendary beast or beasts would make thematic sense. Throt is more cool, Rakarth is boring, and we already had beastmaster content in Shadow and the Blade.

So what Moulder content are we missing? Of the main miniature range, there are:
-Packmaster lord/heroes
-Stormfiends, which are Space Marines but rats.
-Giant rats to act like all the various dog and wolf units
-Rat swarms, though comparable units have appeared in the game as spells and army abilities

And some units that as far as I can tell appeared in White Dwarf and are conversions:
-Some giant, tunnel-digging rat
-Chimaerats, made from a hydra model. Same role as the Hell Pit Abomination, but cheaper?

Other than Stormfiends, nothing is really all that exciting.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Dr Christmas posted:

The Sisters of Twilight vs Rakarth or Throt the Unclean trying to hunt/tame/experiment on some legendary beast or beasts would make thematic sense. Throt is more cool, Rakarth is boring, and we already had beastmaster content in Shadow and the Blade.

So what Moulder content are we missing? Of the main miniature range, there are:
-Packmaster lord/heroes
-Stormfiends, which are Space Marines but rats.
-Giant rats to act like all the various dog and wolf units
-Rat swarms, though comparable units have appeared in the game as spells and army abilities

And some units that as far as I can tell appeared in White Dwarf and are conversions:
-Some giant, tunnel-digging ra.
-Chimaerats, made from a hydra model. Same role as the Hell Pit Abomination, but cheaper?

Other than Stormfiends, nothing is really all that exciting.

You're not wrong but all of that is more then Helves, Delves and Lizardmen have left together and that's not much if at all an exaggeration, unless CA decides to make up some new stuff, which is cool, but I don't know that they'd do that when there is a faction that needs a 6th LL and has a decent amount of units missing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Skaven are also still missing their Verminlords but I imagine those are being held back for game 3 since they'll probably be handled the same way that the other Greater Daemons will be

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that the giant rat that makes all of the rules?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

Is that the giant rat that makes all of the rules?

Yes

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Skaven have the best campaign by far because once you get over the food hump you can just buy maxed out settlements forever and skip that tedious bullshit so more Skaven things is a-ok with me

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

ad090 posted:

You're not wrong but all of that is more then Helves, Delves and Lizardmen have left together and that's not much if at all an exaggeration, unless CA decides to make up some new stuff, which is cool, but I don't know that they'd do that when there is a faction that needs a 6th LL and has a decent amount of units missing.

High Elves still need their flying chariots :colbert:

I don't care how long your list is, Flying Chariots should be #1-100 on the list of Must Add Units

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I would do unspeakable things for a Clan Moulder pack this year.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

That's not even the best looking one.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I now consider beastmen to be a warhammer 2 core race
Hell, same.

However,

Azran posted:

I would do unspeakable things for a Clan Moulder pack this year.
I think I'd take this first. Horn-ed Rat rules all!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's not even the best looking one.

Can you imagine transporting these models to play a game holy poo poo

they do look pretty cool though, not my personal aesthetic but well done nonetheless

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah verminlords are one of the few times I think the endtimes\AoS aesthetic works, I'm sure theres other takes that would work but I like the idea of the Horned Rat having a muscular bishonen feel

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oops, i didn't realise doing groms final battle would actually straight up give me control of a city, i thought it'd just kill their faction leader or something. I load in and drat, i'm on a city map. Boom suddenly i own a city surrounded by 4 stacks of high elves because i teleported, so there's no garrison either.

I reloaded and waaaagh'd the elven disk properly.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I did a short run as beastmen. I need to go get mods for them again.

But man is being in the badlands more fun.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I did a short run as beastmen. I need to go get mods for them again.

But man is being in the badlands more fun.

Malagor is my favorite beastman start too

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I dunno, the Verminlord models are really good no doubt, but they just look like Beastmen to me. There's barely any Skaven left. Very bleh to me for that reason.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Well of course they look like Beastmen. Given the multifarious forms the Beastmen assume, its likely that some would resemble a rat. Now, a race of rat men living under Altdorf, waiting to snatch naughty children who let their soup get cold? Ridiculous!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Imo verminlord are bad because they are too successful. Skaven are supposed to gently caress up and lose all the time, despite causing horrific damage to their enemies.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Skaven should have won the entire setting by crashing a planet into the planet and just exploding everything

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

punishedkissinger posted:

Can you imagine transporting these models to play a game holy poo poo

they do look pretty cool though, not my personal aesthetic but well done nonetheless

It's actually shockingly easy. I own a Verminlord and I just carry him in a box.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 30, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And until you open it at the event you have no idea whether or not it is alive or dead.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Schrödingers Verminlord

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OwlFancier posted:

And until you open it at the event you have no idea whether or not it is alive or dead.
While funny, sadly no as I use an open topped box. So he is visible at all times. He is also much less fragile than he looks. I shamefully admit to having dropped him once, but he was fine.

Insurrectionist posted:

I dunno, the Verminlord models are really good no doubt, but they just look like Beastmen to me. There's barely any Skaven left. Very bleh to me for that reason.

Well they are not Skaven they are Greater Daemons. Something like a Bloodthirster or Lord of Change.

Like look how big they are compared to normal skaven.

But Art tends to be good and make them look more like giant skaven.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Greater Daemons are much cooler in art work because they do not suffer the tabletop/video game drawback of "these, the mightiest manifestations of the primal forces of chaos, get like two or three models tops"

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i think part of it is the weird paintjob GW use on the website. they use much more beastmen-like colours rather than the traditional skaven standbys. the ninja verminlord is much better in colour terms than the others.

i would really like skreech verminking as a legendary lord purely for the voice acting. what would the biggest, rattiest rat made out of the entire council of thirteen sound like?

did skaven say 'rik-a-rak!' or 'rak-a-tay-ta!' before total war? its my favourite verbal tic they have.

edit: over in the Cool Guy Warhammer Thread (i am not biased) someone is posting old white dwarf minis and there are dog beastmen

Pistol_Pete posted:

My parents dumped some old boxes of my stuff and I found a White Dwarf from 1989 in there. Man, I loved those old miniatures.

Pistol_Pete posted:

More (skulls!):

I love how in the old magazines, 40K and WFB were just randomly chucked together.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 30, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, looks like CW actually made concept art for the Verminlord a while back.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mordja posted:

This guy shows up in the final Vortex battle. He's up in the skybox like the Merwyrm in the pirate final battle.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mordja posted:

That's supposed to be the Great Horned Rat itself.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah that's The Great Horned Hat.

THE giant rat that makes all of the rules.

Kind of side related, has there ever been any recent official art for the other Chaos Gods?

Edit: Question for people familiar with AoS. So the Great Horned Rat is a Chaos God, Verminlords are its Greater Daemons. Are regular Skaven now Lesser Daemons or are they still just Skaven?

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Yeah that's The Great Horned Hat.

THE giant rat that makes all of the rules.

Kind of side related, has there ever been any recent official art for the Chaos Gods?

this is the most recent official art ive seen of slaanesh:

this is the most recent art ive seen of the other three but i'm not sure if its official: