Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm not sure where 'victim complex' figures into the DSM V but I hope the committee is adding 'very concerned about cancel culture' as one of the diagnostic criteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

and again, if your company has people monitoring employees' social media with the intent to fire you for anything they deem a violation of their policy, you have problems that are not related to "cancel culture".

hands up everyone who believes chad chudley's bonehead friendbook post is the publicly-endorsed opinion of the good people and cattle of the mcdonalds corporation

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
i actually got someone fired through social media but it's because he fed his wife info off the employment records of my wife and i so she could shame us in a twitter argument. i warned her several times to take that poo poo down and she refused so i didnt really have a choice. thats also why i took my actual name off twitter and deleted most of my other social media.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Arivia posted:

the whole point of the post you quoted was that barbara kay and bari weiss AREN'T victims and ARE insulated by their position you dipshit

did you even read the rest of the sentence?

the implication is that when the ire of the public is focused on such people, they can always escape unscathed

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DariusLikewise posted:

i actually got someone fired through social media but it's because he fed his wife info off the employment records of my wife and i so she could shame us in a twitter argument. i warned her several times to take that poo poo down and she refused so i didnt really have a choice. thats also why i took my actual name off twitter and deleted most of my other social media.

:staredog: jesus christ

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

and again, if your company has people monitoring employees' social media with the intent to fire you for anything they deem a violation of their policy, you have problems that are not related to "cancel culture".

this is fair

anyway I think I’m honestly arguing about something that’s only tengentially related so I’ll can it now :)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

entirely unrelated but are any of the alberta goons having weird power flickers? twice so far today everything went out for half a second, just enough to knock out my modem

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

blatman posted:

entirely unrelated but are any of the alberta goons having weird power flickers? twice so far today everything went out for half a second, just enough to knock out my modem

No issue for me here in central Calgary. Was your area affected by any of the recent thunderstorms?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

blatman posted:

50% of your electrons have left for B.C. or Ontario after getting fed up with the dim bulb running your province

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

lmao, so that's what ended up happening. I always wondered what the dynamic would be in a relationship where you got your spouse fired over internet pettiness, and the fact that she was given the opportunity to take it down makes it even worse.

And for a data point against "getting cancelled ruins lives and starves children", that guy is doing fine now after hopefully learning from his mistakes, probably even better than before. I still wonder if they got a divorce though.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1288620719702769664

Seems like this whole "climate-action" thing isn't going away...

Hmmmm...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
idk if that's climate action so much as "tar sand is less than worthless"

turns out if oil markets collapse having the most costly oil on the planet to process isn't quite the rural albertan advantage

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
thanks trudeau

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

"tar sand is less than worthless"

true.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
oh god

https://twitter.com/waub/status/1288464793922396160?s=20

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It seems very performative and if several indigenous people in the replies, including Jesse Wente, are bagging on it, I'm inclined to agree.

https://twitter.com/jessewente/status/1288469662091685888?s=19

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
seems easy enough, you run traceroute and then sing every indigenous territory name in your best yakko warner voice

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

This encryption was generated on an unseeded prng

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
lmao

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Land acknowledgement before a Zoom meeting is peak Internet leftist its all downhill from here.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

EvilJoven posted:

Land acknowledgement before a Zoom meeting is peak Internet leftist its all downhill from here.

The Queer Art Festival in Vancouver was streamed this year which was good because it meant the land acknowledgement was just a person saying it instead of inviting a two spirited guy up on stage to do it who would always tell the exact same story about being a stripper at the Gandy Dancer every loving time

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't have a problem with land acknowledgement at all if it weren't for the fact that I view them as just another platitude in place of actual effort towards meaningful change.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EvilJoven posted:

I wouldn't have a problem with land acknowledgement at all if it weren't for the fact that I view them as just another platitude in place of actual effort towards meaningful change.

i always considered it a form of mockery. its like "we acknowledge that the land we now own was stolen illegitimately. and what are you going to do about it?". It's just a bunch of hollow words unless you plan to give the land back.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Alberta is so hosed jesus Christ.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Kindest Forums User posted:

it’s a choice at this point. it’s not like there’s a force field around it that keeps out other industries besides oil and gas

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nah, the choice was made when the province was all in on oil and didn't use the surplus available to develop any other industry or economy.

These are just the consequences now of the decisions made years ago.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Alberta O&G cargo cultists think they just need to say the right things and the boom comes back.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Personally I think it's very smart to make your provincial and tangentially national budget 100% dependant on a non renewable resource that other parts of the world have infinitely better versions of. It's like they say, put all your eggs in one basket and sabotage any other baskets so they cant get your eggs

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the best part of it is the non-trivial percent of former oilsands workers who basically hopped from job to job during booms who got really good at just hiding and barely doing anything, optimizing for being crew-shunted instead of being laid off

those people are completely unemployable in any actual job and I feel like they're the most vocal "oilsands will return!" guys because it has to or they're doomed

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Kindest Forums User posted:

https://twitter.com/SkeletorCapital/status/1288836061850996736

I like that the government is just resorting to ad hominems at this point lol

e: what is it with conservatives and calling people hypocrites anyways? It's like they all read Catcher in the Rye and decided Holden Caufield was the peak of intelligence and maturity

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
cool, more poo poo for suncor to monopolize lol

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Another Bill posted:

e: what is it with conservatives and calling people hypocrites anyways? It's like they all read Catcher in the Rye and decided Holden Caufield was the peak of intelligence and maturity

Most of them are fundamentally incapable of changing their minds, and are thereby unable to conceive of anyone else doing so.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

Nah, the choice was made when the province was all in on oil and didn't use the surplus available to develop any other industry or economy.

My grandfather rode a horse, my father rode a horse, I drive a lifted F-650 with truck nutz, my son drives a lifted F-650 one-tun with truck nutz, his son will drive a lifted F-650 with truck nutz, but his son will ride a tractor to Parliament Hill and protest Trudope taking everything away from us

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

ChickenWing posted:

Most of them are fundamentally incapable of changing their minds, and are thereby unable to conceive of anyone else doing so.

:hmmyes:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Another Bill posted:

I like that the government is just resorting to ad hominems at this point lol

Yeah, keep attacking everyone who pulls out of the oil sands, that'll encourage more investment.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Schools are opening up in Ontario come September. Full class sizes. Grade 4-12 masks required, Grade 3 and below recommended. Social distancing advised, no plan on enforcement. There is an opt in for remote learning.

lol teachers should general strike

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Isizzlehorn posted:

Schools are opening up in Ontario come September. Full class sizes. Grade 4-12 masks required, Grade 3 and below recommended. Social distancing advised, no plan on enforcement. There is an opt in for remote learning.

lol teachers should general strike

I can't decide if the people paying to call the shots are actually trying to purge the working class or not

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Stephen Lecce really wants to murder teachers in the streets so he can run for PM on that record in fifteen years

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

I can't decide if the people paying to call the shots are actually trying to purge the working class or not

i'm 99% convinced at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

blatman posted:

If you believe they are capable of cleverness and subtlety, then this seems like sort of policy designed to push students out of the public school system and towards private/home schooling.