Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BiggerBoat posted:

I kinda want to put this here since I know the CEO's of Apple, Google, Amazon and FB had their thing today. My post would get buried in USPOL thread and whatever.

Real curious how RWM reported on this since I know Trump hates Bezos and thinks FB and Google are biased. Christ, is there anything these whiny bitches don't think has a liberal bias? But the thing that made me sad is not one congressperson inquired about the deplorable working conditions for any of these companies, which I've come to understand universally suck - Amazon in particular - where these workers are basically slaves.

If I were a member of congress, that's what I'd be asking about, along with privacy concerns but that ship has already loving sailed and you're naive if you think otherwise.

Back on track though, I'm still really curious what angle FOX and AM radio took regarding this since it's Big Government coming down on the free market but, at the same time, they bitch about at least two of these "job creator" CEO's and, of course, none of them care about monopolies and poo poo like that. I hate to give FOX any clicks so maybe someone can tell me how they're parsing this since it's so self contradicting in so many ways.

If i had to guess, I'd assume they're being selective and that the focus is mainly on Bezos, who is richer than Trump and runs that "fake news" newspaper.

what i find funny is FB has been their best friend basicaly even more so than twitter. jack at least bans some of the chuds when poo poo gets too "loud" but zucker doesnt do poo poo outside deleting some of the insane covid poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

BiggerBoat posted:

But the thing that made me sad is not one congressperson inquired about the deplorable working conditions for any of these companies, which I've come to understand universally suck - Amazon in particular - where these workers are basically slaves.
If I were a member of congress, that's what I'd be asking about, along with privacy concerns but that ship has already loving sailed and you're naive if you think otherwise.

Why would congress inquire about something working so well?

You can't have subservient idiots beholden to your party if you don't let corporations suppress them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what i find funny is FB has been their best friend basicaly even more so than twitter. jack at least bans some of the chuds when poo poo gets too "loud" but zucker doesnt do poo poo outside deleting some of the insane covid poo poo.
Yes Zuck has amplified a lot of RW conspiracy poo poo by refusing to police a lot of that stuff and just leaving it up to his users to decide what is or is not true. He's acted like he's trying to fix that but I don't believe him. He has thrown his lot in with the right-wing in the hopes that it will save Facebook from actual regulatory scrutiny.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I don't think it's just refusing to police, on any given day the majority of FB news items shown are from alt-right sites like Brietbart. It's not in need of policing if it's the status quo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Less Fat Luke posted:

I don't think it's just refusing to police, on any given day the majority of FB news items shown are from alt-right sites like Brietbart.
He hosed up when the Right Wing noisemakers were like "Ahhh news of the day is biased" and turned it over to THE ALGORITHM

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The right wing inherently believes everything is biased against them because observable reality itself is biased against their nonsense.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/prageru/status/1288231685419487232?s=20

https://twitter.com/SenTedCruz/status/1288590828282220544?s=20

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Not gonna lie Twitter has been doing a good job at clamping down on this garbage lately

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lmao owned

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Thoughts and prayers

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1288602723978485768?s=19

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

quote:

“I really wish people would just stop politicizing this pandemic and grow up while innocent people around us are dying,” Hull also said. “You have no idea how painful it is to be forced to sit at home while your loved one dies alone in a hospital.”

They love to bring up 'politicizing' as an issue yet no-one politicizes issues like the GOP.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Vichan posted:

They love to bring up 'politicizing' as an issue yet no-one politicizes issues like the GOP.

The intense political debate of "this is important" vs "gently caress you no it's not and also even if it is i'd rather you die for number"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So what's the worse things done by the late Herman Cain?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Inspector Gesicht posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ-WTFA2vXY

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Really excited to see the right wing response to Herman Cain dying after the big mask-free Tulsa rally.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Levantine posted:

I really think there's more to it than that. I mean we are exposed to the same media but don't turn into salivating dogs every time the whistle is blown. What is it about some people who are just so susceptible to the brainwashing? I guess some folks are just assholes who like having their biases confirmed and there's nothing more to it.

It's worth keeping in mind that a lot of this poo poo has happened slowly over the course of years. I suspect most of the people didn't just wake up going "ah hah! The minorities are to blame!!" or whatever, but instead had lots of small little ideas implanted one at at time that each seem fairly mundane and harmless in the grand scheme of things, but then added up create a big picture of bigotry.

Remember that a lot of these people were raised by bigots themselves, and so are taught from a young age that's just how the world is. It's how a lot of these blatantly racist people claim not to be racist - to them it isn't racist to say black people commit more crimes, because that's literally a fact of life to them. From their point of view, claiming "black people commit more crimes" is like saying "mice are smaller than elephants" - it's just a fact of nature, you'd be stupid to argue against it. Surprisingly few people really try to challenge their own beliefs, and it's no surprise that christianity (among other religions) demonizes challenging your own beliefs.

It's also worth noting that if someone preyed upon at a vulnerable moment, even a small lovely idea can be snowballed and echo chambered into something huge. Shortly after leaving college I was in a pretty lovely place in my life and was super depressed. I was lonely and hated myself and a lot of really hateful ideas sounded good to me at the time because they were comforting and helped me feel more empowered. I pretty quickly realized "hey wait no this is lovely" and distanced myself, educated myself, etc. When people are vulnerable they'll look for community and acceptance, and even if they don't agree with the views of those communities they may slowly be indoctrinated by them as the hate becomes normalized and eventually internalized.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Through Herman Cain I briefly remember the halcyon days of the 2012 presidential campaign:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Munin posted:

Through Herman Cain I briefly remember the halcyon days of the 2012 presidential campaign:

:stonk:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

... both happy and sad that I watched the whole thing.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Munin posted:

"I can't believe Bill Gates used 5G to kill this American patriot! RIP in peace, Ben CarsonMichael Steele um Herman McCain"

Trump in two days

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Munin posted:

That thread was a real gift.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Oh no. Herman Cain died.

Who is going to fill his AM Talk Radio slot that enriched our thinking so much?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

zeroprime posted:

That thread was a real gift.

I still find myself quoting "rolls for whores" from time to time.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Which goon created these again?

I've also been trying to dig up the thread with no success.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's worth keeping in mind that a lot of this poo poo has happened slowly over the course of years. I suspect most of the people didn't just wake up going "ah hah! The minorities are to blame!!" or whatever, but instead had lots of small little ideas implanted one at at time that each seem fairly mundane and harmless in the grand scheme of things, but then added up create a big picture of bigotry.

Remember that a lot of these people were raised by bigots themselves, and so are taught from a young age that's just how the world is. It's how a lot of these blatantly racist people claim not to be racist - to them it isn't racist to say black people commit more crimes, because that's literally a fact of life to them. From their point of view, claiming "black people commit more crimes" is like saying "mice are smaller than elephants" - it's just a fact of nature, you'd be stupid to argue against it. Surprisingly few people really try to challenge their own beliefs, and it's no surprise that christianity (among other religions) demonizes challenging your own beliefs.

It's also worth noting that if someone preyed upon at a vulnerable moment, even a small lovely idea can be snowballed and echo chambered into something huge. Shortly after leaving college I was in a pretty lovely place in my life and was super depressed. I was lonely and hated myself and a lot of really hateful ideas sounded good to me at the time because they were comforting and helped me feel more empowered. I pretty quickly realized "hey wait no this is lovely" and distanced myself, educated myself, etc. When people are vulnerable they'll look for community and acceptance, and even if they don't agree with the views of those communities they may slowly be indoctrinated by them as the hate becomes normalized and eventually internalized.

That last point has a lot of merit. Grief, especially, can be a huge trigger. My aunt lost her husband about ten years ago. She was always somewhat conservative compared to the rest of the family but in the intervening years she has become very angry and is kind of a Fox News talking head at any family event. It's really upsetting sometimes to see but that Two Minutes Hate has a real effect on people.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Levantine posted:

That last point has a lot of merit. Grief, especially, can be a huge trigger. My aunt lost her husband about ten years ago. She was always somewhat conservative compared to the rest of the family but in the intervening years she has become very angry and is kind of a Fox News talking head at any family event. It's really upsetting sometimes to see but that Two Minutes Hate has a real effect on people.

This, but for the parents of an only child who was killed about 20 years ago. They went from quiet and not terribly political back then to screaming MAGA hat wearers today. My parents won’t talk to them anymore because the refuse to acknowledge COVID is anything more than the flu and other Trump talking points. They were basically my second set of parents growing up, and their daughter was like my sister. My folks and I wonder a lot about how they’d be if they still had a Gen X voice to temper their Boomer brains, but it’s hard to say.

I’ve texted them a few times (they live quite far from where I do these days), and it was difficult not to try and convince them of...whatever. But at this point I just can’t be hosed. I wished them luck with everything and let it slide.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

VitalSigns posted:

Why are Taft and Teddy both on the evil liberals side.

Either he should claim Teddy for the conservatives like he did Lincoln (lol), or if he actually knows enough about TR to hate him for being a progressive, shouldn't he fuckin love Taft

Taft was big on Antitrust so that probably put him in the bad books, because how dare the government limit the ability for one company to own everything?

HiroProtagonist posted:

The only good US president was William Henry Harrison, actually.

I love how he died because he refused to wear a coat during his speech which lasted like 3 hours in the middle of January and then proceeded to get dead drunk at the ball that night.

I don't know if he or Garfield had worse deaths, because Garfield would have been fine if it wasn't for the doctors and the lack of medical knowlage of the time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's fascinating how much Americans know about their presidents, even the ones who didn't really do anything noteworthy other than "die."

You'd never catch a Canadian or Brit knowing anything about our most useless has-been prime ministers, it would be unseemly and weird unless you're some kind of historian.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If only Donnie followed Harrison’s proud example for his pandemic response

PT6A posted:

It's fascinating how much Americans know about their presidents, even the ones who didn't really do anything noteworthy other than "die."

You'd never catch a Canadian or Brit knowing anything about our most useless has-been prime ministers, it would be unseemly and weird unless you're some kind of historian.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DdUUywIsIGI

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 2, 2020

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Yeah, it’s taught in schools and in some places emphasized. I don’t know for certain, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they do it to help buy people into the rabid nationalism so endemic to the us.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Jokes on them because all you gotta do is dig an iota deeper and then you can see all the indigenous populations they sign off on exterminating.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hihohe posted:

Jokes on them because all you gotta do is dig an iota deeper and then you can see all the indigenous populations they sign off on exterminating.

Very good that you don't find that in the approved textbooks, you have to get into an advanced course where they'll just say "yeah so you can't tell poo poo by reading those textbooks you gotta read primary sources and lots of 'em"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

One of my favorite aspects of Right Wing Media is that by going on it, you put a spotlight on your career and things like this happen

https://twitter.com/theblaze/status/1289282217068331008?s=19

quote:

Dr. Simone Gold, the Los Angeles-based physician behind America's Frontline Doctors, a group advocating for hydroxychloroquine to be used in the fight against COVID-19, says she has been fired for expressing her medical opinion.

Gold shared the news in an interview with Fox News host Tucker Carlson Thursday night, saying she was removed from her job due to her appearance in a viral video touting the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine.

"I'm a board-certified emergency physician for 20 years, and in fact, it seems like until five minutes ago I was considered a hero and people would be clapping and glad that I was doing what I was doing, and then the video came out and I was summarily fired for appearing in what was told to me is an embarrassing video," Gold told Carlson.

Her California medical license includes her unverified claim that she is involved in patient care 30-39 hours per week and indicates a practice location in Hesperia, a bedroom community of about 100,000 at the edge of the Mojave Desert. Efforts to determine where specifically she may practice were unsuccessful.

She did not respond to a message seeking clarification and comment.

Gold has been a frequent contributor to conservative media, including Fox News, where she advocates for HCQ as a treatment for COVID-19 and fast economic reopening.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 2, 2020

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

PT6A posted:

Our education system loves giving kids lists of things to memorize.

Also, a big factor is that individual states like to teach their own history so if there is a president who came from your state you’ll learn about him even if he did nothing of note. The state I grew up in, New Hampshire, only produced one president, Franklin Pierce, who was a useless drunk, but dammed if they didn’t teach us about him.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

PT6A posted:

Do you learn about kings?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

We only really learn about the important presidents.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ben Shapiro has a sister who looks IDENTICAL to Ben

https://youtu.be/ME5e6ElfJXA

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Munin posted:

Which goon created these again?

I've also been trying to dig up the thread with no success.

Here is the link to On The Campaign Trail stuff which in it has a link to the thread.

http://www.onthecampaigntrail.org/

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Groovelord Neato posted:

We only really learn about the important presidents.
I'd guess the vast majority of Americans have never heard of van Buren, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Pierce, Hayes, Arthur, or Harrison.

Basically any president before Theodore Roosevelt is only taught well if they were involved in a major war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I remember at about 12 years old we went through a period in history class where we briefly touched on each of the presidents in turn. Unless they had a lot of big important events tied to them like Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, FDR, Kennedy, etc, we basically learned one interesting fact about each and moved on. Usually it was stuff like, "Was assassinated","died from eating strawberries", "formed the Bull Moose Party and split the vote" or "changed his initials to US because he loved the country so gosh-darn much."

It's easy to run through 45 guys and give easily digestible and interesting facts for schoolchildren to learn. That's why everyone remembers things like Harrison's 30-day run as President. Because it's the one thing he's notable for.