Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Is there such a thing as a kevlar/textile armoured coverall? Not like a race suit or an adventure survival drysuit or anything, just like overalls to throw on over street clothes that have abrasion resistance and elbow/knee/hip/shoulder armour?

What is the difference between an aerostich and what you’re describing? I’m not being snarky. I honestly don’t understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

Is there such a thing as a kevlar/textile armoured coverall? Not like a race suit or an adventure survival drysuit or anything, just like overalls to throw on over street clothes that have abrasion resistance and elbow/knee/hip/shoulder armour?

Aerostich? R-3 Light sounds like what you’re describing. I have a normal R3 and for commuting, touring and power ranger cosplay it owns.

There’s other options too: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-riding-suits

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Thanks to the previous discussion about cam mounting, I decided to break out my Sugru to fashion up a proper chin mount so that I didn't have to rely on a wonky set of extenders for my current "slightly on the side of the chin" GoPro setup.

Turns out I bought it a lot longer ago than I thought because it expired in the fall of 2017 :v:

Off to order a new pack.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The Klim Hardanger is a textile (codura) 1pc riding suit made to be worn standalone. Armoured, abrasion resistant, goretex.

Goes over street clothes well, and has a load of vents for cooling.

I have one, it’s good, but not perfect. I wore it through our last winter over a mountain of thermals and fleece.

Kept me mostly dry, but I think there’s a leak issue at the crotch. Something to confirm this winter and get it replaced.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Thanks to the previous discussion about cam mounting, I decided to break out my Sugru to fashion up a proper chin mount so that I didn't have to rely on a wonky set of extenders for my current "slightly on the side of the chin" GoPro setup.

Turns out I bought it a lot longer ago than I thought because it expired in the fall of 2017 :v:

Off to order a new pack.

I recently tried to use the Sugru I bought to mount my GoPro (ended up not using it) and when it goes off, it really becomes useless. I had purchased it around 2.5 years ago, but I don't know how fresh it was when it was shipped to me.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Horse Clocks posted:

Kept me mostly dry, but I think there’s a leak issue at the crotch. Something to confirm this winter and get it replaced.

There almost always is, and even when there's not it feels like there is because there's no air movement down there since everything gets smushed together between the saddle and your crotch, leading to swampiness.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to recommend a bead seat as the solution.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I was out in pouring rain today in my Rukka Goretex 2 piece.

I arrived home and took it office. Bone dry underneath.

Buy Rukka.

FYI, I bought mine on ebay (used) for a song.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Steakandchips posted:

I was out in pouring rain today in my Rukka Goretex 2 piece.

I arrived home and took it office. Bone dry underneath.

Buy Rukka.

FYI, I bought mine on ebay (used) for a song.

used gear rules as does riding in the rain. I have mosko's deluge gear which uses eVent and I love being able to just throw it on over my summer gear and not being insanely sweaty when it dumps and is still 85 out lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

I recently tried to use the Sugru I bought to mount my GoPro (ended up not using it) and when it goes off, it really becomes useless. I had purchased it around 2.5 years ago, but I don't know how fresh it was when it was shipped to me.
It felt a bit dry and tough when kneading it, so I looked at the package and the back has a clear "use by" date printed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I bought a boatload of Sugru last year when I mounted my GoPro to my last helmet because “hell this stuff is awesome I’ll use it all the time”

And other than mounting the GoPro I used it approximately 0 times.

Ordered a much smaller amount to affix my new Motoradds mount to the RF-1200 this time around.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I love Sugru but I absolutely wouldn't use it for mounting cameras (other than maybe as packing between two sets of VHB tape, and even then I'd rather just use more tape for that).

It's not *that* adhesive, especially on smooth surfaces, and also dries out and gets brittle as it ages, especially in sunlight. The trellis I put up on my shed with it fell down after a year and that was with I'm willing to bet considerably less shear load than a camera mount will experience.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's fair, but the HJC I mounted the Motoradds to is still rock solid, while the VHB tape that both came with my mount and that I replaced once the first tape failed are sagging such that it's unusable. I'm definitely going to sugru this Hero7 to my face.

e: I want to add that it could easily be because the motoradds mount uses thin fingers which attach to your cheeks and while there's a lot of tape, it isn't very .. narrow, vertically .. for lack of a better term, so a heavy camera is putting a lot of load on a narrow section of tape. In hot weather this absolutely made it a fall risk. If you're just mounting a bit gently caress-off hunk of 2"x2" plastic to your chin then I don't think it would be an issue either.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 30, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Not sure if it was said previously in this thread or elsewhere, but actual, made-by-3M, VHB tape should not sag/fall off/fail. All bets are off with other brands of adhesive tape or knockoff poo poo sold on Amazon/elsewhere. Buy it at an actual hardware store. VHB 5952 is the general use, sticks-to-all-sorts-of-surfaces, works-in-all-temperatures stuff.

Variants of 3M VHB are used for glazing the windows in skyscrapers. It can and will hold your GoPro mount.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 30, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Seconding do not buy it from Amazon, I don't care if they list the seller as 3M, you have no way of guaranteeing it's real.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
3M 4991 is the thick gray acrylic foam tape that is supplied on stock GoPro mounts, and it's basically indestructible. It handles mounting on airplanes and kayaks and racecars no problem. The only downside is that it's 30 dollars for a fifteen-foot half-inch roll. Get some.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

What is the difference between an aerostich and what you’re describing? I’m not being snarky. I honestly don’t understand.

I didn't know what an aerostitch was, but it's what I was thinking of as "adventure survival drysuit" and so's everything else that was mentioned. Like, thanks, but that's not what I meant.

In my mind, something like a flight suit (boiler suit, jump suit, overall, coverall) that's made of the same type of stuff that draggin jeans etc are made of would be great. Like, air goes right through it, it's not waterproof, you could throw it on over singlet/shorts without taking your boots off, ride to the shops, and leave it on the bike. I'm guessing it doesn't exist and there's a good reason.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I didn't know what an aerostitch was, but it's what I was thinking of as "adventure survival drysuit" and so's everything else that was mentioned. Like, thanks, but that's not what I meant.

In my mind, something like a flight suit (boiler suit, jump suit, overall, coverall) that's made of the same type of stuff that draggin jeans etc are made of would be great. Like, air goes right through it, it's not waterproof, you could throw it on over singlet/shorts without taking your boots off, ride to the shops, and leave it on the bike. I'm guessing it doesn't exist and there's a good reason.

Anything you could put on without taking your boots off would either be so loose as to be pointless (or even actively dangerous) in a crash or more covered in zips and straps than an 80s goth.

The nearest you're likely to get is the MX armour suits that are basically body armour attached to mesh - they're *supposed* to be warn under loose-fitting MX gear because a proper suit would be too constricting and too hot, but of course idiots being idiots they'll chuck them on over a t-shirt and shorts and take their Hayabusa out on superslab thinking "I HAVE ARMOUR I AM SAFE NOW". They're probably okay worn like that for urban riding, I suppose, but you're still sacrificing a lot of protection for really not very much convenience.

e: The point is for impact protection the armour *has* to be securely held in place against the body part it's protecting, and for slide protection the fabric has to not ride up, fold over, or otherwise allow skin to be exposed - this is why bike gear is always a bit of a faff to get on and off, and there's no way around that without sacrificing protection.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 31, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jackets and jumpsuits that vacuum on like back to the future shoes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

Jackets and jumpsuits that vacuum on like back to the future shoes.

Because bike gear isn't pinchy enough on any loose, dangling bits of flesh you might happen to have.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, that all makes sense I guess.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

right arm posted:

if I were in your shoes (gloves) I would just buy the revit sand 3 gloves and save yourself $80 or w/e.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Went to a local shop (triumph of Seattle- has a great and surprisingly fair priced gear selection) and tried on a few gloves.

Ended up going with a Sand 3. The cayennes were nice, but definitely didn’t seem like they’d flow as much air. From the size chart I was a Large, but the XL fit way better.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Went to a local shop (triumph of Seattle- has a great and surprisingly fair priced gear selection) and tried on a few gloves.

Ended up going with a Sand 3. The cayennes were nice, but definitely didn’t seem like they’d flow as much air. From the size chart I was a Large, but the XL fit way better.

Sizing up is a good call.

Sand 3’s fit small- I like them, but the pair I got according to the measurement chart pinches in the thumb base, or maybe is too short for my fingers, but in any case, they make my hands go tingly.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Renaissance Robot posted:

There almost always is, and even when there's not it feels like there is because there's no air movement down there since everything gets smushed together between the saddle and your crotch, leading to swampiness.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to recommend a bead seat as the solution.

A bead seat is an excellent idea, and adroitly solves both the crotch-puddle and crotch-swamp issues, as well as reducing rear end-fatigue, an absolute necessity on every motorcycle, from large cruisers to super sports.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bead seats are dorky as gently caress but also work really really well so get a bead seat

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

np! glad you found someone local. ain’t poo poo out here worth riding to to support. I love the sands though, for their prices they are absolutely fantastic

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Bead seats are dorky as gently caress but also work really really well so get a bead seat

Bead seats are seen in cars where everything else is covered in plastic so it doesn't "lose any resale value".

Also in such cars there are dangly religious icons of whichever religious flavour the driver adheres to dangling from the rear view mirror.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm going to get bead seats and christmas tree air fresheners for all my bikes

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I can't find a picture of it, but I used to have a vanilla scented dashboard statue of Jesus.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Has anyone ever ordered from motomummy? Reviews seem to indicate that they're great as long as you don't complain or have a problem with your order.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

why would you buy from them when revzilla exists 🤔

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Because they're selling the Cardo Bold two pack for $100 less.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Glass of Milk posted:

Because they're selling the Cardo Bold two pack for $100 less.

that's fair! I have not used them, but they don't look scammy. I'd just order with a credit card so you can chargeback if needed

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Doesn't Revzilla price match? Not that supporting corp overlords is the coolest thing, but I do like that they are paying Zack and Ari to make content.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Yes, they will price match for in stock items.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

But only from US sellers, I think. I can’t remember now but I bought a Dainese jacket from a European site that was a little shady, and Revzilla told me they wouldn’t match.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
That site looks like it's based in Texas. I'm gonna try the price match thing, otherwise I'll order from them. Thanks!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I posted a Sena and a couple of pairs of Revit Boots in the gear thread, if anyone is looking for some (relatively) cheap stuff.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Would anyone be interested in girls street motorcycling gear suitable for girls in the 7-10 year range? My girls have outgrown their gear and before I list it on my town's for sale page earning the opprobrium of the various Karens in town I was curious if any of you rode with your daughter(s) who could use it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Quick boot review. I got these SMX6s back in April to replace an older pair of SMX-5s. I wear a 9 or 9.5 depending on the shoe, and this 43 fit perfectly, even with a different insole that I put in. I really wanted something waterproof for commuting, which I haven't done any of since going to full work from home in March. But I have tested the waterproofing a few times wearing these as ADV boots, sticking my feet in some deep muddle puddles. The only time I felt any water was on the one that was deep enough to come over the top. And I feel protected enough for putting around on dirt roads and easy trails. I switch to MX boots when I want to do dedicated trail riding. My biggest complaint so far is the ankle protection hinge is a bit squeaky when walking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I tried on a Shoei RF-1200 today and now I want to turn my Bell Qualifier into one.

Sigh.