Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If cucumbers are so undetectable then why are there so many cucumber-scented products and sandwiches then??

I dunno, I think maybe the editor deserves it, must take a lot of effort and skill to polish turds to a mirror sheen so consistently

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FlimsyFearlessIbadanmalimbe-mobile.mp4

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Not to defend it, because that's the sort of salary that could definitely use a trim to save jobs, but it's worth noting that that's genuinely on the low end for a British newspaper editor.

https://twitter.com/politicsispoop/status/1288569344058896387?s=21

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
This BBC article about that laughable attempted coup on Venezuela earlier this year is a fun read but rather carefully steers clear of actually blaming anyone.

quote:

So much still does not add up about Operation Gideon. Perhaps - like the Bay of Pigs 60 years ago - it will remain the subject of endless speculation. And what happened to Jordan Goudreau? His whereabouts are unknown. The FBI will not confirm or deny whether he is under investigation.

Still, like I say, it's a fun read.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Come north, wander around the moors, sleep in your car.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

kingturnip posted:

This BBC article about that laughable attempted coup on Venezuela earlier this year is a fun read but rather carefully steers clear of actually blaming anyone.

Still, like I say, it's a fun read.

Is there speculation about the Bay of Pigs? I thought it was commonly accepted that the CIA hired a bunch of displaced Cuban Slavers and landlords to try and launch an invasion of Cuba and leverage JFK into an American invasion to which JFK went "lol nope" and left them high and dry.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Nope I'm not accepting this gaslighting.

I'll never believe that people dislike cucumbers. They are passive and harmless vegetables.

e; ^ Yeah I missed that but the Bay of Pigs is pretty fully known I thought?

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 30, 2020

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/justinkcomer/status/1288615302960418816?s=20

:kiss:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Said it in the other thread but face nappies bad, actual nappies, cool and good!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
If we're doing uspol:

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1288611555530113024

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Darth Walrus posted:

Not to defend it, because that's the sort of salary that could definitely use a trim to save jobs, but it's worth noting that that's genuinely on the low end for a British newspaper editor.

https://twitter.com/politicsispoop/status/1288569344058896387?s=21

Slight sidenote, but I'm always surprised how low the pay of our PM is, both on the absolute scale given the level of responsibility and relative to other countries. I think it's convention that they don't take £50k of it too, so it's less than it appears on this table.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_salaries_of_heads_of_state_and_government

If you don't have familial wealth to fall back on, it's not really enough to make up for becoming a public hate figure IMO and giving up the rest of your life as a private citizen.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

https://twitter.com/nash076/status/1288264824565256193?s=21

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Incredible

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Prince John posted:

If you don't have familial wealth to fall back on, it's not really enough to make up for becoming a public hate figure IMO and giving up the rest of your life as a private citizen.

It's a job lots of people would pay to do if they could afford it. Meanwhile other people get low pay that doesn't make up for having to waste half their lives doing boring poo poo.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The fix your bike scheme is open for registrations again.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
PM also gets two houses, a chaffeur driven limo, a plane and no opportunity to spend any of their money, which'll add up if youre PM for a decade. Apparently they also get 150k a year for the rest of their lives. The salary is small potatoes compared to the rest of the benefits and thats just the official ones.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I know the libdems are like that Doctor Who alien that you instantly lose all memory of the second they're not in your vision, but it looks like they might be getting um...*checks notes* Dead Aviary as leader.

https://twitter.com/EdwardJDavey/status/1288737045221969920

He's literally been acting leader since Swinson left, and is yet another of the piss diamonds who were in the coalition cabinet.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Could get Moran and do something interesting or bow to the neoliberal orthodoxy of ‘electability’ over substance.

Go piss diamonds.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Well, on the subject of Nazi comparisons...

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think I need some time off, but I'm desperate to get away. What are reasonable options now? Should I only go somewhere I can drive to?

it sounds like youd be travelling alone. what about a spot of wild camping?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
seriously gently caress the labour party

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1288740905327964160?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/CatharineHoey/status/1288535321748164608?s=20

Kate Hoey having a normal one

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When I think normal and respectful security measures and human rights I always think of Northern Ireland.

Maybe we can have our passport control replaced with "you look like a man on the list, no we can't tell you which man or show you the list" too.

Oh wait that's the hostile environment now :smith:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Prince John posted:

Slight sidenote, but I'm always surprised how low the pay of our PM is, both on the absolute scale given the level of responsibility and relative to other countries. I think it's convention that they don't take £50k of it too, so it's less than it appears on this table.

The plot of the UK House of Cards' final series was based on Uruquat realising while he'd met his goal of out-PMing Thatcher, he'd entirely failed to feather his nest throughout and had better get some of that sweet corruption money fast.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think I need some time off, but I'm desperate to get away. What are reasonable options now? Should I only go somewhere I can drive to?

It is the perfect time to tour your local beauty spots and not do international travel because there is a very pooorly controlled pandemic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

Nope I'm not accepting this gaslighting.

I'll never believe that people dislike cucumbers. They are passive and harmless vegetables.
Can't believe it's me telling you this, but cucumbers don't have to be passive :pervert:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

In an abstract sense she's not wrong - given that Covid survives on surfaces for up to 24 hours and kids touch loving everything with their grubby little hands, masks are barely going to touch the sides in terms of infection control. They shouldn't be back at school at all.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I have a similar thing to the Cucumber Repulsion where I am convinced that peas are the devil's food that taste horrible and everyone around me is convinced they taste of nothing and I'm weird. doesn't help that every pub heaps peas with everything as standard. don't get me started on the prevalence of peas in every Mixed Frozen Vegetables bag. end the pea supremacy

ahh yes, your normal student organisation of students for students, co-founded by an 80 year old, as is normal for a grassroots student concern

Total Meatlove posted:

Go piss diamonds.

the new upmarket brand name for kidney stones

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

In an abstract sense she's not wrong - given that Covid survives on surfaces for up to 24 hours and kids touch loving everything with their grubby little hands, masks are barely going to touch the sides in terms of infection control. They shouldn't be back at school at all.

Eh, evidence from the last few months shows covid doesn't really spread through object fomites - it spreads through unmasked people in close proximity indoors. Guess what schools consist of...

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

When I think normal and respectful security measures and human rights I always think of Northern Ireland.

I didn't realise how desensitised I am until I lived in Scotland. I can only remember the tail end of the troubles but I noticed so many little things that were permanent marks of the environment I grew up in. It took me a while to get used to seeing police in Edinburgh going about in smart cars and on scooters without looking around to see who was going to lift them and hoy them off a bridge. I remember there was a big hooha because some scottish police had gone into a supermarket to get their lunch or something with pistols on their belts and it was hard for me to see fathom why this was a big deal because I'm used to seeing them going about carrying semi automatics. I wouldn't notice heavily armed police at airports or harbours unless there were people suddenly acting sheepish around them to make me wonder what was up. I also still carry my driving licence everywhere and think nothing of giving it to someone in a uniform who asks, but in Edinburgh people generally took incredible umbrage at being asked who they were :/

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Jezza fund has gone over £320k now so I expect it will peak at around £325-£330k as definitely slowing down. I haven't actually donated yet so I might switch what I was going to do (once August hits!) to the JVL who are being sued.

crispix posted:

I didn't realise how desensitised I am until I lived in Scotland. I can only remember the tail end of the troubles but I noticed so many little things that were permanent marks of the environment I grew up in. It took me a while to get used to seeing police in Edinburgh going about in smart cars and on scooters without looking around to see who was going to lift them and hoy them off a bridge. I remember there was a big hooha because some scottish police had gone into a supermarket to get their lunch or something with pistols on their belts and it was hard for me to see fathom why this was a big deal because I'm used to seeing them going about carrying semi automatics. I wouldn't notice heavily armed police at airports or harbours unless there were people suddenly acting sheepish around them to make me wonder what was up. I also still carry my driving licence everywhere and think nothing of giving it to someone in a uniform who asks, but in Edinburgh people generally took incredible umbrage at being asked who they were :/

Same but from a different country. I got so used to having to pass all bags through metal detectors and hand searches on entering any public building or mall, seeing armed police outside any embassy or bank, cars entering car parks having a bomb detector run under them and the boots opened and inspected, having to leave your passport or other id with security on entering some premises and picking it up on the way out.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 30, 2020

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

lmao at Bercow's peerage being denied

this is what happens when Tories piss off other Tories I guess

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Were they the guys that attacked Israel in Exodus?

Venomous posted:

Party of custom and tradition.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Venomous posted:

It's funnier - in a way - that they gave a peerage to those two ex-Labour MPs, in exchange for leaving Labour and shittalking them in the run-up to the election.
Funnier because there were plenty of Labour MPs willing to do it without leaving the party.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

PM also gets two houses, a chaffeur driven limo, a plane and no opportunity to spend any of their money, which'll add up if youre PM for a decade. Apparently they also get 150k a year for the rest of their lives. The salary is small potatoes compared to the rest of the benefits and thats just the official ones.
What's the basis for having 150k for the rest of your life? That's pretty nuts.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Flipswitch posted:

Though I don't know about the sum...

The Members of Parliament (Remuneration and Services) Act 2013 provides for:

- an annuity to be paid to a former Prime Minister, in office for not less than two years, and for an annuity for the surviving spouse of a former Prime Minister
- the Remuneration Authority to set these annuities.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You try and find work when the most recent entry on your CV is "Killed 60,000 people".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Flipswitch posted:

You need a fair amount to pay for security, I expect.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jedit posted:

You need a fair amount to pay for security, I expect.

I would assume that the state pays for that separately?? At least in Israel the Shin Bet have details for all former PMs, for example. It's not a private thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

stev posted:

You try and find work when the most recent entry on your CV is "Killed 60,000 people".

That seems like it would open up plenty of job offers, though?

Near as I can tell, the generous retirement package is precisely to discourage you from treating your time in office like a job application - not that it necessarily works, of course, but it does slightly reduce the incentive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

That sounds like the type of CV that gets you £330,000 for a 20-minute speech at a Middle East peace event.