Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Wow I guess I should have expected 90's grog rules. I thought the low model count might have kept it a little more simple. Quite a few 3D printable fleets available though, pretty cheap entry point other than getting/printing the cards and templates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've bought Kill Team and Blood Bowl because of this thread, so onto Adeptus Titanicus!
Can someone tell me how many points is a normal game, and how many points are there in the core box?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
AT playes in brackets, the 700-1250 points, 1250-1750, and 1750-2500. Most games are, I think, in the middle bracket. There are underdog bonuses to balance for unmatched points costs within the bracket.

The Titan Battlegroup box will give you everything you need for a moderately sized game of around 1250 points and is an excellent starting point to build out from. To break it down even more, Warhounds usually come out at ~225 points, Reavers ~310, and Warlords ~475-500. Depending on loadouts. The Battlegroup has two 'hounds and one each of the other two titans.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 27, 2020

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! It's doesn't look like I can get the Titan Battlegroup box anywhere, but I can get the Horus Heresy starter box for an okay price, so I guess I'll get that.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Hah yeah I forgot that box came out. That's an excellent starter.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

dishwasherlove posted:

Wow I guess I should have expected 90's grog rules. I thought the low model count might have kept it a little more simple. Quite a few 3D printable fleets available though, pretty cheap entry point other than getting/printing the cards and templates.

Play it at 1000 points and the chrome fits better. At higher points you need to abstract a layer or two of that stuff away and you can still get a good story out of the fight. Setting an equal point meeting engagement is ok for learning the rules. Having fun requires making a scenario of it with assymetric goals, and the chances for win/win and lose/lose. Then the individual condition of each ship template and potential loss of its power projection matter more. You might only have that one Wolfship squadron between those 2 Hulks and your harbour. Equal points, but now it's a fight!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I really wish they had kept the original (GSC/AdMech) KT starter rather than the current (Spess Wuffs/Tau) one.

I previously wished KT had been an actual success but this is somewhat mitigated by how 9E apparently plays p.deece at low points-levels?

:(

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

dishwasherlove posted:

Also, anything outside of the core set is pretty much unbalanced and it was admitted that the expansions were tossed out with virtually no playtesting (no surprise there.) It can be a really fun game, but there are a lot of broken units, and it can be very unfun, depending on the fleet matchups. For instance, I had a Dwarf fleet that spent the entire game moving to the center of the table at half the speed of a normal fleet and accomplished absolutely nothing.

Don't let that turn you off of the game, just don't expect any semblance of balance or polished rules.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Yeah I'll look into it. I also started painting those Warmaster Undead you sold me like 5 years ago so I'll get some pictures up in a little bit.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Considering that WHFB dwarves barely tolerate being above ground, I shudder to think what kind of mega-grudge drove them to take to the seas, or just how grumpy and pig-headed the dwarf sailors in that fleet are.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Their society just found a good place to put all their deviants.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

berzerkmonkey posted:

The images are usually mashups of some of the different factions. The necklace looks like the new cow-elves; maybe pointed teeth for Undead or Vamps; horns for another beastmen faction; tree-elf stag horns; and maybe the bugs hinted at in Beastgrave?

Still no damned Slaanesh warband then...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

glitchkrieg posted:

Still no damned Slaanesh warband then...

Aren't the Unmade this?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Aren't the Unmade this?

The Unmade are a Warcry warband, not a Underworlds warband. Warbands!

also I think the Unmade are technically unaligned

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Sorry, I get all the fantasy necromundas confused.

:shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
In case anyone around here is an old Epic hand, what would the Squat Iron Eagle Gyrocopter best translate to in terms of 40k? I'm thinking maybe the Vulture but the Avenger would also make sense (both can have a BRRRRRRTTTT so either seems reasonable, I just don't know how fast the Iron Eagle was meant to be in game terms)?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

In case anyone around here is an old Epic hand, what would the Squat Iron Eagle Gyrocopter best translate to in terms of 40k? I'm thinking maybe the Vulture but the Avenger would also make sense (both can have a BRRRRRRTTTT so either seems reasonable, I just don't know how fast the Iron Eagle was meant to be in game terms)?

The closest thing to a helicopter (thats not ork) is the new admech archaeopter thing https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Adeptus-Mechanicus-Archaeopter-Stratoraptor-2020

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
In necromunda, without chopping arms off or magnetising (harder with the stupid connection for limbs these days) how do you all go about buying guns/weapons in a campaign? Is it generally accepted that proxy is ok in your groups as you only have 10 models on the field at a time or is there another go-to?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

It's generally accepted you proxy the weapons yeah. Just declare at the start and remind your opponent throughout the game.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

dishwasherlove posted:

It's generally accepted you proxy the weapons yeah. Just declare at the start and remind your opponent throughout the game.

Thats groovy, I figured that'd be the accepted way to do things without spending a poo poo load of money or time. Presumably not taking the piss with a pistol juve representing your leader with plasmagun and power sword

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

working mom posted:

Thats groovy, I figured that'd be the accepted way to do things without spending a poo poo load of money or time. Presumably not taking the piss with a pistol juve representing your leader with plasmagun and power sword

What they have at the start of the season should be on the model. Especially significant life events or acquisitions may be noted on the model mid-season (e.g. Golden Heavy Bolter). Further updating is (of course) welcome and encouraged but generally not required as long as accurate records are available upon request and perfidy is avoided.

At least that's how my group of idiot assholes played back when we were literal childes 25 years ago?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I would never do WYSIWYG in Necromunda

What am I expected to break down my finished models when we play a new campaign? Or buy completely new ones? Ef that

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Make more than you need, make some with plasma guns and heavy bolters and poo poo that you aspire to get during the campaign. Sub those in when a fighter gets an upgrade.

I would aim for the main weapon to always be accurately represented but anything else doesn’t matter.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I've seen some people use magnets to hot-swap the weapons. Usually at the wrist, which seems like a huge pain in the rear end and not really worth the effort.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Slimnoid posted:

I've seen some people use magnets to hot-swap the weapons. Usually at the wrist, which seems like a huge pain in the rear end and not really worth the effort.

I've got an ok amount of experience magnetizing from my Tyranid army. Tried it on my orlocks, and it's such a small contact point that it's a huge pain to line up, and the magnets are so small that it's always kinda janky and floppy. Gave up pretty quickly and just glued everything. Not worth it for WYSIWYG, especially for minor stuff. If I was making a major change, I'd rather just buy more mans.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Re: Necromunda weapons, I agree that wysiwyg can be relaxed. It's better to build your gangers with the weapons that you want them to have long term and let the rules catch up in my opinion.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Moola posted:

buy completely new ones

Games Workshop would like to talk to you about a management position.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It's a small enough scale game that having alternatives isn't exactly cost prohibitive, but it's also small enough scale that remembering or marking units isn't that big of a deal.

For Gorkamorka I liked having weird conversions at the ready on the off change I got to throw in someone with a bionic arm or whatever. I think I legitimately miss playing that game more than any other, silly though it was.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's a small enough scale game that having alternatives isn't exactly cost prohibitive, but it's also small enough scale that remembering or marking units isn't that big of a deal.

For Gorkamorka I liked having weird conversions at the ready on the off change I got to throw in someone with a bionic arm or whatever. I think I legitimately miss playing that game more than any other, silly though it was.

It's the best game gw ever made and I'll fite any git that disagrees

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
BRING BACK GORKAMORKA (in 15mm)

As for Necromunda and WYSIWYG - if I was proxying, it'd always be weapon-adjacent. So if a model's got a basic weapon, then it can proxy fine for another basic weapon model. Champions/equivalents should be distinguishable from their loadout anyway, and the models I use for Leaders would rarely change.

It only ever was a problem if I was playing multiple games in a session and swapping loadouts after trading, or if I was playing somebody regularly and the model they'd associated with a nasty profile was swapped over to a different model. But decent pre/in-game communication should sort that out, especially if you're having some friendly trash-talk.

hexa fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 31, 2020

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

glitchkrieg posted:

BRING BACK GORKAMORKA (in 15mm)

this but warhammer fantasy battles in 15mm

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's already a perfectly awesome 10mm WHFB that should come back first.
/
:corsair:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

moths posted:

There's already a perfectly awesome 10mm WHFB that should come back first.
/
:corsair:

:yeah:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
you really could make some amazing 10mm models with modern tech

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
saw this on FB titled "when AT meets AI"

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

saw this on FB titled "when AT meets AI"

There was an X-wing version of this on Scarif that featured in Salute a couple of years back. The slurping terrain guy made it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I love it! I also want someone to be playing BFG on a balcony overhead though

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

you really could make some amazing 10mm models with modern tech

It's already happening in the hobbyist space.

https://www.beastsofwar.com/fantasy/printing-in-detail-stylish-10mm-wood-elves/

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Sweet news. Just finished painting my Warriors of Chaos last month and starting up Daemons and Empire. And there's Khemri half done in there, appropriately gathering dust.
Gaming buddy has Araby, Lizardmen, Dark Elves, Orcs...
I play solo now with some default order activation rules added.

any interesting tweaks to making Khemri fun to play?
Reduce points to Skeleton Warriors and Skeleton Archers?
Allow every unit/brigade one free Vanhel's move even with no leaders nearby?
Allow Skeleton Cavalry to move through terrain as ethereal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

oh my gently caress :stare:

E: Jesus Christ it's almost the entire 8th edition wfb wood elves in 10mm

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 1, 2020