Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Data Dowels only really work if you have some sort of hologram version of Microsoft Powerpoint, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tag yourself, I'm the fat male computer science major.

...poo poo, I actually DID tag myself there. :smith:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Powered Descent posted:

Tag yourself, I'm the fat male computer science major.

...poo poo, I actually DID tag myself there. :smith:

I am the law!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Also, it's dildos. Sorry to say the obvious thing, but somebody had to.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Outrail posted:

Toothbrush did nothing wrong

I mean, that's literally why it became popular, and why Hitler himself had it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Honestly not a bad outcome if they're going to insist on putting all of those variables into one graph.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Paladinus posted:

Also, it's dildos. Sorry to say the obvious thing, but somebody had to.

paladinus, thank you

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

quote:

These drug names are getting weird.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I feel like you could just put the mask in a way that tucks in at least the fu manchu. you would probably get a mouthful of hair though but that's your own drat fault.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Honestly not a bad outcome if they're going to insist on putting all of those variables into one graph.

There's essentially no benefit to displaying it as a 3D column / dildo made up of stacked pie charts rather than as a 2D column made up of stacked two-coloured bars indicating the gender ratio. The way they've done it here, if the gender split in a course is over 1/4 or 4/1 the yearly gender variations are on the back of the 3D column and are completely invisible. The line below the column indicating the proportion of applications as a percentage of the overall number of applicants in the country is also really pointless - there's no benefit to displaying it as a line rather than as a numerical percentage and it's not as if it's attached to the pie chart stack anyway.

It's just a fairly standard format for displaying demographic data, made worse by making it with pie charts for some reason. Like, it's just a worse version of one of these charts, just swap age for year of application:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You know what I like? A nice bar graph. With some thick chunky bars, and those measurement lines.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You know what I like? A nice bar graph. With some thick chunky bars, and those measurement lines.

ok boomer

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

hey no kink shaming

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope

Red Bones posted:

There's essentially no benefit to displaying it as a 3D column / dildo made up of stacked pie charts rather than as a 2D column made up of stacked two-coloured bars indicating the gender ratio. The way they've done it here, if the gender split in a course is over 1/4 or 4/1 the yearly gender variations are on the back of the 3D column and are completely invisible. The line below the column indicating the proportion of applications as a percentage of the overall number of applicants in the country is also really pointless - there's no benefit to displaying it as a line rather than as a numerical percentage and it's not as if it's attached to the pie chart stack anyway.

It's just a fairly standard format for displaying demographic data, made worse by making it with pie charts for some reason. Like, it's just a worse version of one of these charts, just swap age for year of application:

I disagree; I think this makes it much easier to see at a glance how the proportions change. In the bar graph, does the male-female ratio increase or decrease as you go down the graph? I would have to bust out a ruler to tell. In the pie chart version, it's obvious that the blue/female section is growing as you go down.

The line below the circles is definitely pointless, and the circle diameter is worse at showing the total size compared to the bars, but it does much better at displaying the change in the male-female ratio over the years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If it‘s close enough you can’t tell, does it matter?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

The way to sort that out, IMO, is to mark on the lines where the median value is.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Shameless crosspost because it could not be more on-topic:

https://twitter.com/ftrain/status/1287183861785473027

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

A clean, well-lighted data visualization.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Always have to love it when the independent variable (time) is the Y-axis. And oriented downwards.

Edited to add source: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-florida-could-go-blue-in-2020/

Powered Descent has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Jul 27, 2020

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Powered Descent posted:

Always have to love it when the independent variable (time) is the Y-axis. And oriented downwards.

Edited to add source: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-florida-could-go-blue-in-2020/

Yeah, I read that article earlier and my brain went into soft-lock when I saw that first vertical segment. Like, it'd be a badly formatted graph with any data set, but when the very first thing a reader sees scrolling down is something that wouldn't make sense on any normal line graph, it's baffling on how it made it past the editor.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Eh, I kind of like that it shows the vote going further left, which is probably what the author was going for.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
I agree that’s a pretty good graph. :shrug:

It would be much more egregious to show left/right-wing political leanings on a vertical axis. So you’re basically forced to put time on the vertical axis in this case.

Whether time should move up or down is more debatable but I prefer it this way, to match calendars.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Five thirty eight isn't particularly bad at making graphs. I can't say much more positive about them than that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BonHair posted:

Eh, I kind of like that it shows the vote going further left, which is probably what the author was going for.

Needs an arrow marker at the end

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

BonHair posted:

That reminds me of a neat one done in this style I saw some time ago:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BonHair posted:

It doesn't, since we are conditioned to read the bottom of the graph as the origin.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A guy I know on FB is sharing this two-year old article about why Bitcoin is The Future and I'm in love with this chart from it:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

tbh i am mostly surprised there were still "bitcoin is the future" articles being cranked out in 2018. i thought coiners had all converted to just trying to scam each other by then

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Count Roland posted:

That reminds me of a neat one done in this style I saw some time ago:

This led me to look up William O. Douglas, and that was a fun read.

"A bored, distracted, uncollegial, irresponsible" Supreme Court justice, as well as "rude, ice-cold, hot-tempered, ungrateful, foul-mouthed, self-absorbed" and so abusive in "treatment of his staff to the point where his law clerks—whom he described as 'the lowest form of human life'—took to calling him "shithead" behind his back." Posner asserts also that "Douglas's judicial oeuvre is slipshod and slapdash"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Your typical far left radical antifa activist judge type really.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

This is a perfectly normal looking signalling/metabolic pathway, I see no problems with it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Scientific Diagrams That Look Like Shitposts.gif

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Yeah I'm quite pleased to be able to say I have a (very large) physical copy of this

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Nice. You ever run a party through it? How far did the players get?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

shame on an IGA posted:

Yeah I'm quite pleased to be able to say I have a (very large) physical copy of this

how much of your big beautiful poster is outdated and based on old, incorrect knowledge?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

redleader posted:

big beautiful poster [...] outdated and based on old, incorrect knowledge?

You rang?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Nice. You ever run a party through it? How far did the players get?

They do say that labyrinths are making a comeback:
https://twitter.com/mslaurabliss/status/1288625774224740352

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

:laffo: