Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

SA has a -tan, too: https://www.ostan-collections.net/wiki/index.php/Something_Awful

Can't find it right now but there's at least 3 comics I'm aware of starting SA-tan, one of them drawn by Tom Siddell of Gunnerkrigg Court

I just did a google image search for Something Awful-tan and there results were not what I expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dewgy posted:

I hate that I know this, but it's a pretty common trope for anime lady representations of OSes and hardware have their boobs be representative of how much RAM they have.

Trap, loving, sprung goddamn!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just did a google image search for Something Awful-tan and there results were not what I expected

Remember the SA year book?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Because she's a *-tan. The honkerinos on the various -tans that represent electronics (consoles, etc) or software or whatever are meant to represent some capability of some sort. I'm assuming PC's huge magonagahoogs are supposed to represent graphical capability, or RAM, or something. You can see it in the OS-tans too:

the more you know~*

e: beaten while I was coming up with fun names for boobs

I'm starting to think all of this is just an excuse to draw 20-something girls with big boobs

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Phlegmish posted:

I'm starting to think all of this is just an excuse to draw 20-something girls with big boobs

:monocle:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Trap, loving, sprung goddamn!

I know way too much internet poo poo, I know. :v:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SA has a -tan, too: https://www.ostan-collections.net/wiki/index.php/Something_Awful

Can't find it right now but there's at least 3 comics I'm aware of starting SA-tan, one of them drawn by Tom Siddell of Gunnerkrigg Court

IIRC the original SA-tan was created by some guy who had a website full of anime babes getting punched in the stomach and vomiting. It got featured as an awful link of the day and in retaliation he created SA-tan and made a comic of her getting punched in the stomach and vomiting. Speaking of, anyone have that comic?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Why can't it be enough to have anime babes

Why do they have to be punched in the stomach so they vomit

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

For people like that anime babes are the default norm they have seen so often that they are not even worth noticing so they have to go to more extreme things to feel.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Look man I don't make the rules

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

https://twitter.com/shenanigansen/status/1288544744918982657?s=19

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I count 7 wings, my immersion is ruined

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Push El Burrito posted:

And just like in real life nobody wants to gently caress ME.

:hmbol:

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Well it is a cute dress, imo.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Welp, I preordered the next MM&O book, so clearly :filez: drive sales in cis het whiskey tango goons in their 30's

Edit: also, blowing through the entirety of that series in 3 days may have had a toll. What an awesome series.

BrotherJayne has a new favorite as of 04:38 on Jul 30, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dewgy posted:

I hate that I know this, but it's a pretty common trope for anime lady representations of OSes and hardware have their boobs be representative of how much RAM they have.

Huh, I was gonna guess it was just a perception and rating thing. Like, the Switch has DOOM and Wolfenstein and Carrion and stuff on it but I doubt those are the first games people think of when someone mentions Switch games.

And meanwhile you can go anywhere from educational games for children all the way up to just weird game mods from the Nexus or something so slap some giant tits on the PC one.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Solar Tornado posted:

Random Access Mammeries

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

BIRD

Sweet Dee!?!?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Dewgy posted:

A bit like equestrian statues and the number of feet they have off the ground indicating how the rider died.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Haha that took me a moment

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Bogmonster posted:

Haha that took me a moment

You see, the rooster represents the economic might of Maoist China, and the man (the Chinese people) throw in a coin wishing for a successful conclusion to the Great Leap Forward.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Because she's a *-tan. The honkerinos on the various -tans that represent electronics (consoles, etc) or software or whatever are meant to represent some capability of some sort. I'm assuming PC's huge magonagahoogs are supposed to represent graphical capability, or RAM, or something. You can see it in the OS-tans too:

the more you know~*

e: beaten while I was coming up with fun names for boobs

Look okay we're going to be here all day which ones don't get big boobs

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Maybe it's just because I'm hungry but I'm salivating at the sight of this jumbo cock, I just want to strip it down, warm it up and stuff my mouth with it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Old nerd professor with glasses and tweed jacket giving class: You see, the big-titty pink-haired anime babe winking and doing the V sign, who is also your step-sister, hermeneutically represents the Hegelian dialectic...

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

It's funny they used a Tintin strip for this because Nick Rodwell, the guy who "inherited" Hergé's intellectual property by marrying Hergé's widow is a huge rear end in a top hat suing anyone using Hergé's work (even just a single box) without paying them.

I guess that's :thejoke:

e: cool thing though he made a huge amount of original art publicly exposed in a museum just next to where I live, and the entrance is free once per month. He's doing a good job of promoting Hergé's work with the shitton of money they are making from the books and other products. Just he shouldn't be such an rear end in a top hat regarding fair use

e2: oh apparently it's part of a full satirical album with parodies of all classical comics, so I guess I read too much into it :)

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Jul 30, 2020

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's funny they used a Tintin strip for this because Nick Rodwell, the guy who "inherited" Hergé's intellectual property by marrying Hergé's widow is a huge rear end in a top hat suing anyone using Hergé's work (even just a single box) without paying them.

I guess that's :thejoke:

e: cool thing though he made a huge amount of original art publicly exposed in a museum just next to where I live, and the entrance is free once per month. He's doing a good job of promoting Hergé's work with the shitton of money they are making from the books and other products. Just he shouldn't be such an rear end in a top hat regarding fair use

e2: oh apparently it's part of a full satirical album with parodies of all classical comics, so I guess I read too much into it :)

You live in Louvain-la-Neuve?

Museum is cool. It, ahem, forgets to mention some of hergé's history, though :)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Reminds me of the time my dad and I went on a day trip to Charleroi. Beforehand, I had this vague notion that it had a famous comic book museum. You know, with Spirou historically being based there and all. Turns out that's in Brussels instead (of course).
Charleroi really is a bit of a dour city with not much going on, but we still had fun walking around, as well as drinking and mixing it up with the locals at a workers' café. They also did a good job fixing up the train station and its environs.

Does Louvain-la-Neuve have one of those, too? I've never been there. I live near Leuven (la vieille), I should visit.

mrfart posted:

Tintin canonically hunts by blowing up animals with dynamite, and that's final

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Jul 30, 2020

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
It's a town of 30 thousand people. I'm pretty sure they have a cafe.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

mrfart posted:

You live in Louvain-la-Neuve?

What's up fellow countryman :hfive:
I studied there but live in Limal, just next to it. I have a long history with the city, my father was teaching cinema there, my grandfather was supervising the erecting of the university, and now I work there too (but don't live there anymore, smells too much of student piss and they can be very loud)

You mean the colonial racism and the things during the occupation I guess? Yeah I think even Hergé was ashamed of this later in life.

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 15:05 on Jul 30, 2020

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

Does Louvain-la-Neuve have one of those, too? I've never been there. I live near Leuven (la vieille), I should visit.

You mean a comics museum? There's the Hergé Muséum which is honestly good if you love his art, but besides that there's not much to see in the city. It's still fun to walk there, as it's a city that was built in 68 out of nowhere so they had the opportunity to try many ideas to make it more pleasant. Like there's architectural guidelines, the city is built on a concrete slab and cars go below it, so the whole university is pedestrian.

Not everything aged well, it's not the prettiest, but it's interesting. I think they remade the city museum too holding all the most interesting possessions of the university, quite eclectic.

e: otherwise here in Limal we have this magnificent statue of Cubitus because Dupa lived here most of his life

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 15:19 on Jul 30, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You mean a comics museum? There's the Hergé Muséum which is honestly good if you love his art, but besides that there's not much to see in the city. It's still fun to walk there, as it's a city that was built in 68 out of nowhere so they had the opportunity to try many ideas to make it more pleasant. Like there's architectural guidelines, the city is built on a concrete slab and cars go below it, so the whole university is pedestrian.

Not everything aged well, it's not the prettiest, but it's interesting. I think they remade the city museum too holding all the most interesting possessions of the university, quite eclectic.

The town is worth a visit because it's a one of its kind in Belgium. I was only there during summer holidays though, when the student piss rivers run dry, I suppose?

As I understand it, the museum was supposed to be in Brussels, but moulinsart ( company which protects the work of Hergé) went elsewhere because the city didn't fork over enough money.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yes, I mean a comics museum, not a café. Every little village in Belgium has at least 5 of the latter, although they've been closing at a pretty rapid rate these past two decades or so.

quote:

(but don't live there anymore, smells too much of student piss and they can be very loud)

Wow it really is exactly like the old Leuven

I should pay it a visit, the city museum seems interesting. I'm also a big fan of car-free areas in cities, they just poo poo everything up and make it unpleasant, so an entire car-free town should be up my alley.

@mrfart: what's the recommended age range for your Captain Anchovy series?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I still can't get over that we've had to deal with anti-mask people before and they were exactly the same level of geniuses.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LifeSunDeath posted:

I still can't get over that we've had to deal with anti-mask people before and they were exactly the same level of geniuses.

humans, in general, are loving dumb, and we never, ever learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I thought I was having a stroke for a minute because this seemed super familiar. I saw the original posted on Facebook, it's done by my highschool friend Ricky.

His website is https://inkyrickshaw.com and I think most of his stuff is pretty great.