Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Tarnop posted:

They moved the release of pre-constructed commander decks from being its own event in August to a simultaneous release with the Spring set. I wonder if they rolled the numbers from that into the overall set sales.

Yeah, also an interesting question, though those weren't Ikoria branded so I'd assume not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

No branding on the boxes, but definitely part of the set from the POV of all the pre-release hype, e.g https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/ikoria-commander-2020-04-03

They made a big deal of this set having more new cards than normal, and those new cards being Ikoria flavoured.

e: the commander decks also replaced the planeswalker decks that normally get released alongside a set, so I'd imagine that's more reason for them to want to roll the pre-cons into the set nunbers

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Tarnop posted:

No branding on the boxes, but definitely part of the set from the POV of all the pre-release hype, e.g https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/ikoria-commander-2020-04-03

They made a big deal of this set having more new cards than normal, and those new cards being Ikoria flavoured.

e: the commander decks also replaced the planeswalker decks that normally get released alongside a set, so I'd imagine that's more reason for them to want to roll the pre-cons into the set nunbers

Yeah good point, I guess the unique cards also ended up in the Ikoria collector packs.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The best TG Discord server is mine because I don't link it on SA

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Capfalcon posted:

Aaaaaaannnnyway, in this, the darkest timeline, Games Workshop laughs in the face of Brexit and a global pandemic to somehow post their best year ever.

Link to earning PDF.

Things of note:
Royalties from everything Games Workshop can slap a space marine on are up almost 50%.
Studio costs went up by a factor of ten, and they have animiated projects in the works.
Payroll is up, even though they shut down for six weeks.
Vague comments about licensing IP for a AAA game on a digital platform.
Vague, but in a more ominous way, comments about the challenges of finding the right management.

It’s almost like competent management does better business.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ettin posted:

:( Mine is kind of okay-ish. Despite me being a shitlord.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ettin posted:

Ooh can I get a link? In public of course.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright. There are three or four issues at stake here and I'd like to walk through all of them. I'll preface all of this by pointing out I'm just an IK and while I'm being given plenty of support from a few moderators, I'm definitely not experienced in doing this so I'm just trying to do my best to be fair and helpful and also do the important job of helping to moderate TG threads since we don't have a dedicated mod right now.

1. Making posts about bad actors in the industry is definitely OK. I've never heard of "Glasogow bigot DungeonDining" but if that is a bad actor in the trad games industry, then it is both on-topic and allowed by our rules to talk about their bad acting. In no way do I or anyone else mean "posting about the bigotry, sexism, doxxing, harassing, sexual harassment, rape, etc., allegedly or proved, by public figures in the trad games industry" with the phrase "off-site drama."

2. There is no explicit rule about offsite drama on the books. That is my error. It has been frequently penalized by mods for years, though. By "offsite drama" we mean the drama between goons that takes place on some other site. I think there's a problem when there are "unwritten rules" that people are expected to follow, and I'm saying so, and it's been suggested that I add such a rule to the TG rules post. I'll work on that. However, I also think that it's within the general aegis of "don't post bad posts" rule, that if you are having a dumb slapfight on some offsite Discord, carrying that slapfight over into an SA thread is Bad Posting and likely to earn a sixer.

3. I asked PST very nicely to stop trying to hash out the offsite drama in this thread while I investigated this "rule" and they didn't. That was worth a sixer. I stand by that and a moderator has approved of it. Again: the probe is not for breaking a rule that didn't exist: it's for refusing to calm down and let me do my job and being pretty rude about it to boot.

4. There are no official Discords (or Slacks or IRC channels for Facebook groups or whatever) for this thread, subforum, or SA in general. People can claim their Discords are associated with SA and there's not much SA can do about it, but that doesn't make it true. People have been allowed to post links to their Discords here, and I think that's probably ok, but maybe somehow this fact hasn't been made totally clear and maybe that's something we need to be better at.

As for what I don't care about, and what I think I made clear in my PM, is the nature or details of an argument PST or anyone else has with another Goon or non-Goon that takes place on an offsite Discord. I don't care if PST's complaint about offsite discord moderation had merit or not, because this is not the place to litigate such a grievance. This is not the same thing as not caring about bad actors in the Trad Games industry, or this thread, or this subforum, all of which I do very much care about. Conflating these two issues in order to tell me to :getout: is arguing in bad faith.

If PST wants to post about Glasgow bigot DungeonDining here, that's fine. If they want to say something like "if bigots like DungeonDining follow you, you should totally block them" that's fine, and if another Goon disagrees and decides to have a debate about that, that's also OK within reason, provided you all obey the rules and try not to poo poo up the thread too much about it, but if it carries on too long I might ask you to knock it off, because ultimately that's a pretty drat trivial thing to have a big fight about.

What is definitely not fine IMO, is complaining about how unfair the moderation of an offsite Discord is, here. Or complaining about how someone was rude to you there. And then carrying on with many more posts about it. And that goes for not just PST but also the goons who were apparently witness to or participants in that conversation chiming in to add their own take to the thing. That's "offsite drama" and the reason we don't want it is because it's lovely for everyone not involved to have to read but is an absolutely irresistible magnet for those involved to weigh in and make the lovely derail longer and worse. I think this should be an explicit rule and I'm being encouraged to add it to TG's rules but honestly it ought to be a sitewide rule so I'm proposing that. If it's never going to be a rule, then please default to the "don't post lovely bad posts" megarule and act accordingly.

The exception is if you are being doxxed or harassed by goons, even if they're doing that on an offsite, and you need help. Goons aren't allowed to dox or harass you, and they can't get around that very important safety rule by doing it offsite. If that happens, though, the best approach is to send messages to mods and admins, not posting about it in the TG as an Industry thread.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I was in a lovely mood after arguing with assorted bigots and transphobes yesterday and conflated other people being crap with leperflesh and somewhere between not the best phrasing and me looking to take offence read into their words something they didn't intend, so sorry about that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ettin posted:

Mine is the best because it has no bad posts

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

dwarf74 posted:

Is sharing PMs off limits here or just kinda hosed up and weird?

As far as I know with this, there's nothing wrong with sharing PMs unless it violates some other serious rule like leaking personal information or otherwise being in bad taste. Especially because like, sometimes legitimately unhinged people will harass posters via PM or you'll object to some other PM you got and you kind of have to share a PM to document that poo poo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PST posted:

I was in a lovely mood after arguing with assorted bigots and transphobes yesterday and conflated other people being crap with leperflesh and somewhere between not the best phrasing and me looking to take offence read into their words something they didn't intend, so sorry about that.

I accept your apology, thank you PST.

Nuns with Guns posted:

As far as I know with this, there's nothing wrong with sharing PMs unless it violates some other serious rule like leaking personal information or otherwise being in bad taste. Especially because like, sometimes legitimately unhinged people will harass posters via PM or you'll object to some other PM you got and you kind of have to share a PM to document that poo poo.

I think it's allowable when justified and just sorta rude when not. I usually kind of mentally assume a PM I send to someone is intended to be private, but it's good practice to assume that person might repost what you said, especially if they think there's something bad in your PM.
On the other hand, people sometimes send extremely personal, or personally-identifiable information in PMs, and obviously that carries a stronger expectation of privacy.

PMs sent in the capacity of IK, Mod, Admin probably shouldn't have any expectation of privacy. We don't have a sunshine law but I think transparency is important. I'll try to conduct myself accordingly.
e. PMs sent to me in confidence will be kept private. If you are being stalked or harassed or are in trouble or just need to talk to someone privately, I believe you should be able to expect your PMs to me or any other mod or admin to be held in confidence, to the greatest extent possible, with the only exception being if someone feels they have to share it with other mods/admins/authorities in order to secure someone's safety or comply with the law.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 29, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Given sudden doubts as to what Lowtax is going to do and when he is going to do it, Discord parachutes suddenly seem more important again.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh Gods, what has happened now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
He re-opened FYAD to make a bigger mess for Jeffery to clean up when he takes over.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kurieg posted:

He re-opened FYAD to make a bigger mess for Jeffery to clean up when he takes over.

Yeah, QCS has exploded again and will explode once more once Jeffrey has to make a choice one way or another once the keys are in his hands.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's been no indication that the sale is in jeopardy and Jeffrey has specifically said it isn't. But until it goes through, Lowtax still owns the site and can still gently caress around and do what he wants.

I have it on some authority that the "correct" way to do this kind of thing is to create a new LLC and then have all of the assets of the old trust/LLC transferred to the new LLC, and this takes lots of lawyer time and you have to wait for the government to stamp things and poo poo. I'd be pleasantly surprised if the sale and transfer of assets is complete in August (there was never a chance it'd be complete in July).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah no way does Jeffrey want to buy the whole mess of SA LLC. Can you imagine doing the diligence on that poo poo?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Essentially the situation is very complicated financially, yes.

In the mean-time Lowtax has just about completed his transformation into a miniature Louis CK with the added benefit of being able to watch his bizarrotragic downward spiral from realizing the damage is permanent in GBS.

QCS is never not a dumpster fire so nothing new there.

Anyway, TG as an industry.

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/nicholasmasyk/status/1288512033772773377?s=20

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Oof. That's fair.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Ultiville posted:

Feels like they might end up going in the D&D direction of the game being an afterthought to the value of the IP.

There is a lot more money in war games or mtg then there is in rpgs though. A group of 5 warhammer okayers represents at least a couple thousand in sales. A group of 5 D&D players might only represent a hundred dollars in sales.

neaden fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 30, 2020

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

It looks like Ben also deleted his Twitter account (for unrelated reasons, I assume, since I think he went quiet a few days ago and I can't imagine this post with 164 likes caused a wave of harassment.)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

There's been no indication that the sale is in jeopardy and Jeffrey has specifically said it isn't. But until it goes through, Lowtax still owns the site and can still gently caress around and do what he wants.

I have it on some authority that the "correct" way to do this kind of thing is to create a new LLC and then have all of the assets of the old trust/LLC transferred to the new LLC, and this takes lots of lawyer time and you have to wait for the government to stamp things and poo poo. I'd be pleasantly surprised if the sale and transfer of assets is complete in August (there was never a chance it'd be complete in July).

The important thing is that a Trad Games player will own the SA forums, and the five-year plan will be complete.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Ettin posted:

The important thing is that a Trad Games player will own the SA forums, and the five-year plan will be complete.

something awful renamed to shitcum.com

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ettin posted:

Bring back Liesmith as a mod.

This seems eminently reasonable but 2020 has trained me that there must be something terrible coming down the pipe. 2 game companies being vaguely reasonable in a week? Impossible. This is fate using the techniques of a bully. In a week there'll be like a Magic card called Goblins Will Not Replace Us or something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

This seems eminently reasonable but 2020 has trained me that there must be something terrible coming down the pipe. 2 game companies being vaguely reasonable in a week? Impossible. This is fate using the techniques of a bully. In a week there'll be like a Magic card called Goblins Will Not Replace Us or something.

literally monkey's paw games

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Are there issues with Zzarchov Kowolski specifically that I've not seen in this thread, or is it just the branding for LotFP?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Arthil posted:

Are there issues with Zzarchov Kowolski specifically that I've not seen in this thread, or is it just the branding for LotFP?
(had the wrong person)

Him reviewing a couple of LotFP products over the last week is it, as far as I know.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

The 2020 Diana Jones Award goes to Black Excellence in Gaming. This is undoubtedly the award Misha B was talking about on Twitter last week (they got her name wrong in the invite email). Some black designers were willing to be listed, and some were not. Make sure to read Jabari Weather’s bio in particular.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lol sure.

It's your typical Achievement in being a black person we've ignored in this space award that they give out whenever something comes up that forces them to remember black people exist.

jadarx
May 25, 2012
Couldn't even remove the block of placeholder graphics on the bio page.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Couldn't even be assed to come up with a black designer who could win the award.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Jimbozig posted:

Couldn't even be assed to come up with a black designer who could win the award.

They could've come up with lots, which is the problem. They put themselves in this dumbshit position by repeatedly failing to recognize non-white creators even when they gave themselves an easy way to do it. For example, in 2018 they gave the award to the concept of Actual Play, and listed Critical Role, TAZ, Maze Arcana, Acquisitions Inc, and One Shot Network. Friends At the Table, which even in 2018 was making $15k on Patreon, was not mentioned.

In 2017 they gave it to, um, GenCon. At least in 2016 they gave it to Eric Lang.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

admanb posted:

They could've come up with lots, which is the problem. They put themselves in this dumbshit position by repeatedly failing to recognize non-white creators even when they gave themselves an easy way to do it. For example, in 2018 they gave the award to the concept of Actual Play, and listed Critical Role, TAZ, Maze Arcana, Acquisitions Inc, and One Shot Network. Friends At the Table, which even in 2018 was making $15k on Patreon, was not mentioned.

In 2017 they gave it to, um, GenCon. At least in 2016 they gave it to Eric Lang.

Mmm. I think this would have been more powerful if they’d highlighted designers they’ve missed in the past because of their own bias, exactly like the above. Thanks, that was a great post and helped me refine my thoughts.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Diana Jones awards are more of an excuse to hang out with a bunch of folks from the industry and drink at GenCon. They've recognized some silly things (like Scottish Gaming Conventions?), tossing it to Black Excellence is milquetoast but that's kind of what DJ is, it's certainly better than nothing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Thanlis posted:

The 2020 Diana Jones Award goes to Black Excellence in Gaming. This is undoubtedly the award Misha B was talking about on Twitter last week (they got her name wrong in the invite email). Some black designers were willing to be listed, and some were not. Make sure to read Jabari Weather’s bio in particular.

lol goddamn

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elendil004 posted:

Diana Jones awards are more of an excuse to hang out with a bunch of folks from the industry and drink at GenCon. They've recognized some silly things (like Scottish Gaming Conventions?), tossing it to Black Excellence is milquetoast but that's kind of what DJ is, it's certainly better than nothing.

Of all the things to be mad about, them giving an award to "Irish Game Convention Charity Auctions" for raising a bunch of money for charity is like the least problematic thing.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Toshimo posted:

Of all the things to be mad about, them giving an award to "Irish Game Convention Charity Auctions" for raising a bunch of money for charity is like the least problematic thing.

I have zero mad at DJ, The last two years I've gone have been awesome. Didn't know it was charity auctions specifically, I just plucked an example from memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Arthil posted:

Like to echo this question