Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

EbolaIvory posted:

Things that tend to be popular, are actually in fact good. While you may personally not like said thing, for whatever reason, when the general feeling or review is "pretty good" means its pretty good.

Goons tend to forget that.

Its like pop music, or any other form of media. Shits popular for a reason. You can try to nit pick or pull it apart but fact is its enjoyable to the mass of the population.

Fortnites a great example of this.

EDIT: I happen to like FNAF. I understand why some people "dislike it". But calling it poo poo, or saying its not a good game, is ignorant as gently caress. Which is the point here.

You get really weird about people disagreeing with you. Please stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I mean if it’s popular it must be good right?

*blows life savings on micro transactions on mobile games*

Let’s just be cool with what people like. If you’ve got legit complaints about a game, air them out with respect explaining why you disagree.

We don’t have to be goons all the time, right?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

EbolaIvory posted:

Things that tend to be popular, are actually in fact good. While you may personally not like said thing, for whatever reason, when the general feeling or review is "pretty good" means its pretty good.

Goons tend to forget that.

Its like pop music, or any other form of media. Shits popular for a reason. You can try to nit pick or pull it apart but fact is its enjoyable to the mass of the population.

Fortnites a great example of this.

EDIT: I happen to like FNAF. I understand why some people "dislike it". But calling it poo poo, or saying its not a good game, is ignorant as gently caress. Which is the point here.

I mean, i hate art and philosophy 101 discussions of the subjectivity of artistic works, but going down the road of 'popular = good' (whatever "good" means) tends to be rather silly. FNAF is undoubtedly popular, but theres nothing wrong with anyone calling it poo poo as well.

For the record I don't have a horse in this race, I've never played a FNAF game and have zero opinion positive or negative towards the series, I just really hate these weird essentialist arguments where someone can't call something poo poo just because its popular.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Turin Turambar posted:

Inxile announces PvPvE multiplayer VR game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOUHb7k3KAw

This one actually looks like it might be fun, coop pve in a VR shooter sounds a lot more intriguing to me than pvp

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

:toot: I am finally getting in on the PCVR world. Very Excited. My friend is selling me a relatively new VR ready laptop for extremely cheap so I ordered a Rift today.

Just a quick question. It appears it exceeds the minimum system requirements to play Half Life Alyx, but not the recommended specs.

intel i7-8750h cpu @ 2.20 ghz
nvidia gtx 1070 GDDR5 @ 8GB (256 bit)
16gb ram

I know fuckall about PC gaming, so I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect about how well HL: Alyx will run and how suitable this will be for VR in general. As far as I can tell I know it's not going to give me a bleeding edge experience but it should be fine in general?

This is exactly the spec of my gaming laptop, Alyx will run fine (and look great) on reasonably good gfx settings, though fps will drop noticeably in some of the larger open spaces so you may want to adjust to suit

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 30, 2020

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
All right, my Quest arrived before my link cable did so I have a few days to fiddle with the Virtual Desktop. The OP says that it's both on the oculus store and the sidequest, but doesn't say which version to actually buy, should I get the OG Version or the Sidequest one? I want to try PCVR and see if it's viable on my lovely 5GHz router.

Also the thing blows my mind, the tracking and graphics are miles ahead of what it was on PSVR, amazing for something with basically smartphone specs. I'm glad I pulled the trigger on this.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
You want a legitimate VD copy from Oculus store.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Kikas posted:

All right, my Quest arrived before my link cable did so I have a few days to fiddle with the Virtual Desktop. The OP says that it's both on the oculus store and the sidequest, but doesn't say which version to actually buy, should I get the OG Version or the Sidequest one? I want to try PCVR and see if it's viable on my lovely 5GHz router.

Also the thing blows my mind, the tracking and graphics are miles ahead of what it was on PSVR, amazing for something with basically smartphone specs. I'm glad I pulled the trigger on this.

You have to buy VD on the quest store, then you need to grab the desktop streaming upgrade on sidequest. Essentially VD lets you stream your desktop to the PC, but for some reason it can't be bundled with the VR streaming, so you have to buy and install it, then install the VR streaming upgrade from sidequest. You can't just get it from sidequest, because you need to own the base version first.

Unless i'm wrong about that and its changed over the last year.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

You have to buy VD on the quest store, then you need to grab the desktop streaming upgrade on sidequest. Essentially VD lets you stream your desktop to the PC, but for some reason it can't be bundled with the VR streaming, so you have to buy and install it, then install the VR streaming upgrade from sidequest. You can't just get it from sidequest, because you need to own the base version first.

Unless i'm wrong about that and its changed over the last year.

Gotcha, figured that this is the case somehow.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Ordered a Rift S today with an expected delivery of next Wednesday but just got an email saying it’ll get her this weekend.

Already downloaded Alyx, anything else I should have on my pc for when it gets here? My buddy said he’d gift m a copy of The Forest because he has a bunch of steambucks and wants people to play VR games with. Planning on getting Beat Saber and I already have Elite Dangerous so I’ll need to figure out how to configure that.

Is there a goon vr discord or something for shooting the poo poo and organizing games?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Stan Taylor posted:

Ordered a Rift S today with an expected delivery of next Wednesday but just got an email saying it’ll get her this weekend.

Already downloaded Alyx, anything else I should have on my pc for when it gets here? My buddy said he’d gift m a copy of The Forest because he has a bunch of steambucks and wants people to play VR games with. Planning on getting Beat Saber and I already have Elite Dangerous so I’ll need to figure out how to configure that.

Is there a goon vr discord or something for shooting the poo poo and organizing games?

Play Boneworks before Alyx if you intend to play Alyx, its hard to go back for many.
In fact look into trying most VR games you are interested in before Alyx, its kind of nuts the production quality difference.

Goon VR Discord

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

WirelessPillow posted:

Play Boneworks before Alyx if you intend to play Alyx, its hard to go back for many.
In fact look into trying most VR games you are interested in before Alyx, its kind of nuts the production quality difference.

Goon VR Discord

I get what you mean but I’m basically getting this thing for A NEW HALF LIFE GAME HOLY gently caress.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does the Oculus store have sales? I'm surprised that the early Oculus exclusives are still pretty pricey. I'd love to try stuff like The Climb but I would also never pay $30 for it and it also seems steep for Robo Recall. Kind of disappointed the headset doesn't even come with one free game tbh.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

veni veni veni posted:

Does the Oculus store have sales? I'm surprised that the early Oculus exclusives are still pretty pricey. I'd love to try stuff like The Climb but I would also never pay $30 for it and it also seems steep for Robo Recall. Kind of disappointed the headset doesn't even come with one free game tbh.

They have discounts on 2 or 3 games a week, no idea about any major sales though

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

veni veni veni posted:

They do a lot of the standard things, holiday sale, summer sale, anniversary sales, etc. Sometimes they have good discounts, but depends on the game, and if its cross-buy with the quest its not likely to have a big sale as they've been pretty stingy on quest sales. Some of the PC only stuff though, I mean I've seen Lone Echo 40% off, I've seen chronos, edge of nowhere, wilson's heart and other stuff 5-10 bucks a few times during the big sales, so they do have some good deals sometimes.

If you're looking for some free stuff on the oculus store, the launch game 'Lucky's Tale' was the original free pack in game, and its still free. Its basically a sort of mario bros. 3rd person platformer. Its cute enough, I enjoyed it at the time. Also its not a game, but if you're interested in spaceflight stuff, its worth checking out the 'Mission ISS' experience. Its free, and a recreation of the space station interior and exterior you can explore in zero g.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 30, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In tonight's adventures in VR chat

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Was thinking about picking up BoxVR when it transforms into FitXR this week. Can anyone who has used it on both PC and the Quest talk to me about the differences? (Other than I think the PC one can do custom songs?)

I'm curious because although I have wireless and the VR Cover replacement on the Vive for getting sweaty with Beat Saber, the 100% wireless anywhere nature of the Quest makes me think it could potentially be a better overall experience. I've got a DAS on the Quest so it is comfier to wear now at least.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have anyone played Airborn?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1010100/Airborn/

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

fnaf 1, the premise and the mechanics, are pretty distilled. it is beautiful in it's simplicity. but I had to return the VR version because it was too much for me to handle, and I had zero problems at any point in Alyx. Alyx was tense/spooky enough that some people had to take breaks for (level spoilers) the sewers, or Jeff, or the poison headcrab apartment and I kinda blew threw them in awe. I was nervous but never outright spooked.

But seeing and hearing the haunted animatronic homies in fnaf VR was too much. I chilled with my pup on the couch for a minute after and ate some comfort food. Then requested a refund

I'm not a tough guy but I enjoy horror movies/thrillers. I may get it again down the line to scare the gently caress out of some of my friends

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Valve have a knack for making scary stuff manageable, they always add enough levity and fun to offset the terror.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Nope but it looks like fun so I'll download it and give it a spin tomorrow.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I just tried Vox Machinae and despite me not being a big mech fan, I have to admit it was cool as hell. It looks pretty nice (once you put enough SS and tessellation), and they implemented the feeling of being in a giant mech very well, with things physical controls that feel very analogue, aiming with the scope being done with another 'physical' screen that moves to the front, or smart details like the jump jets triggering by pulling a button/lever, instead of pushing it.

The servers were totally dead, lol. I found that bots would play a TDM, but not in a more complex game mode (I can't remember the name, something about gathering scrap?) .

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

News about VR support in Flight Simulator.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/30/microsoft-flight-simulator-steam-track-ir-and-vr-support/

However, journalists are saying it will be an exclusive to the Reberb G2 for a time? Uhh?
https://www.engadget.com/flight-sim-2020-vr-fall-hp-reverb-070123550.html
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/07/ms-flight-simulator-our-yoke-on-look-at-new-features-gorgeous-flights/

Ars quote imply they have asked about it directly to the devs, they aren't making it up for clicks

quote:

When pressed, Neumann and the rest of the MSFS team declined to specify exactly what about their VR implementation might require a limit to a single PC-VR system, especially since every headset on the market relies on OpenVR calls for axis orientation. (Indeed, this is exactly why non-Oculus headsets can be tricked into loading Oculus-exclusive software.) The Reverb G2 also happens to borrow the engineering and design of the Valve Index's lens array. Thus, we're hopeful that the game's VR mode removes these device-limiting flags and supports other headsets shortly after its launch.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Haha what a terrible decision.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/30/microsoft-flight-simulator-steam-track-ir-and-vr-support/

However, journalists are saying it will be an exclusive to the Reberb G2 for a time? Uhh?
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/07/ms-flight-simulator-our-yoke-on-look-at-new-features-gorgeous-flights/

Ars quote imply they have asked about it directly to the devs, they aren't making it up for clicks

I don't know what the gently caress they're thinking, because modders will almost certainly fix that inside of a day.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

If it's like, exclusive for two months, I can wait and play other games meanwhile.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Someone will probably patch it in, like, a day (at least the Steam version, Windows Store's sandboxing might cause problems). Though they could be using the WMR API which means it might still be locked to that ecosystem.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

But, does WMR have their own API? I thought they didn't.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

WMRs SteamVR compatibility is achieved using a wrapper, though unlike Oculus it's officially sanctioned and developed by Microsoft.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think the biggest news there is that people are still using trackir in tyool 2020? Lmao

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think the biggest news there is that people are still using trackir in tyool 2020? Lmao

Wait until you hear someone argue about how it's "more real" than VR.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol come on nobody does that do they?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
At the prices or TrackIR I'd just spring for a Quest or something. Can't even compare. I actually build my own free version of track IR using a playstation webcam and a DIY LED headset. Worked great and only cost like $50. No even close to VR though.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I had a track IR before I upgraded to the rift. If I didn't have the cash it seems like a decent alternative for sims or something. Or in the case of elite, so you can have a second screen pulled up.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

nobody reasonable buys trackir, they use one of the many much much cheaper options, and it's still pretty alright for some uses.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yesterday I fooled a bit with Angry Birds VR, as in the last months they had introduced an update with online level sharing. Alas, it's a pity that the discoverability options aren't enough (you can sort by difficulty and by 'hotness' but you can't combine both as filters) and more importantly, the player made levels don't have the score/star rating system, which makes them much less interesting. I don't know why, it should have been so easy to do it, just give the players a way to put 3 numbers (the score values to get 1, 2 and 3 stars).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Head tracking is good poo poo. VR is cool and is how I prefer to play flight sims nowadays, but there are benefits to playing flight sims on a monitor and it's great to have head tracking if you do.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol come on nobody does that do they?

Hell yeah they do, though its mostly the people who have ridiculous full simpit setups.

Shine posted:

Head tracking is good poo poo. VR is cool and is how I prefer to play flight sims nowadays, but there are benefits to playing flight sims on a monitor and it's great to have head tracking if you do.

Yeah, especially for older games that don't have support for VR, like IL2 1946, Strike Fighters 2 or Falcon 4 BMS.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Breakfast All Day posted:

Wait until you hear someone argue about how it's "more real" than VR.
Yeah some people keep claiming that in the Elite Dangerous thread which is nuts since E:D is like the poster child for incredible VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm going to assume what they mean is its exclusive to the WMR api, not G2 specifically, since there are no other new WMR headsets and most of the old ones are all discontinued. The alternative of it just being the G2 and other WMR sets not working would just be.... weird as hell.