Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

What are some good non-amazon sites to buy blu-rays? Especially ones with prices more or less in the same range. If it's like up to a five dollar difference I'm not going to freak out I just don't want to buy poo poo from Amazon anymore.

ive been doing a lot of buying on ebay lately :shrug: amazon prices can be hard to beat for new titles sometimes tho. might get lucky every once in awhile or just save a list of movies and wait for a sale on competing sites and have to space out your purchases over a couple months waiting for a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Deep Discount DVD is still around

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

dorium posted:

ive been doing a lot of buying on ebay lately :shrug: amazon prices can be hard to beat for new titles sometimes tho. might get lucky every once in awhile or just save a list of movies and wait for a sale on competing sites and have to space out your purchases over a couple months waiting for a sale.

I've found that for a lot of things amazon prices are pretty much everyone's prices if the thing has been around a while. For stuff like Criterions, Arrow Films, etc I just buy those them someone has a sale. I was just wondering if anybody knows of some good sites that are lesser known. I was thinking about getting some of the Tom Baker Doctor Who blu-rays (don't judge me) and Best Buy's prices for those are the same as amazon. Blu-rays and books/comic books were the only thing I was buying from Amazon so I just want to cut them out completely because I don't want to give them money anymore.

Boinks posted:

Deep Discount DVD is still around

Good too, though I find their discounts not as deep these days.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Best Buy usually price matches Amazon. Their stock isn’t as varied, but major releases you should be fine.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m a former Best Buy employee so I’m biased. But I mainly stick w BBY and have them price match amazon a lot. I like their rewards program and I know they aren’t as evil as Amazon. Plus I’ve gotten some insane deals. They had this weird Disney 4K Steelbook blowout where I got Toy Story 1-4 for under $50. Along w Finding Nemo and some Marvel movies for $10-15 each.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

does best buy price match online?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CPL593H posted:

What are some good non-amazon sites to buy blu-rays? Especially ones with prices more or less in the same range. If it's like up to a five dollar difference I'm not going to freak out I just don't want to buy poo poo from Amazon anymore.

Best Buy
The label
importcds.com seems to be OK; obviously they also have a ton of weird foreign editions to sort through when you might not want that

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’m a former Best Buy employee so I’m biased. But I mainly stick w BBY and have them price match amazon a lot. I like their rewards program and I know they aren’t as evil as Amazon. Plus I’ve gotten some insane deals. They had this weird Disney 4K Steelbook blowout where I got Toy Story 1-4 for under $50. Along w Finding Nemo and some Marvel movies for $10-15 each.

I'm counting on another one of those, I think Disney purchases cratered with the release of Disney+.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

dorium posted:

does best buy price match online?

BestBuy.com/pricematch

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
If I buy online it's either directly from labels or from DiabolikDVD. Other than those it's either my local record store or B&N during their Criterion sales. I don't have anything against stores like Best Buy but they're also not particularly high on the list of companies I'd like to give money to.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Detective No. 27 posted:

I miss when Fry's Electronics had products. Their bluray section was aisles long and had tons of weird stuff.

Tangent but what the gently caress is up with Fry's? I went into the local one to kill some time before a meeting (pre-covid) and it was eerie. Empty shelves everywhere, and I never laid eyes on another human being the whole time I was there, customer or employee.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RichterIX posted:

Tangent but what the gently caress is up with Fry's? I went into the local one to kill some time before a meeting (pre-covid) and it was eerie. Empty shelves everywhere, and I never laid eyes on another human being the whole time I was there, customer or employee.
Can't pay bills because Amazon so they "Switched to a Consignment" system where vendors only get paid as stuff sells? Or something.

Before they catered they also went hard on this "Coupon Code" email thing where a bunch of deals were gatekept behind a 6 digit code you got in your email on Friday morning.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

Good too, though I find their discounts not as deep these days.

Oh lord don't make me go to their site and see if there's any vinyl I fancy, because that's always an expensive browsing session.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Fry’s has been on death’s door for years now. Kind of a shame but they always tried to pivot to incredibly dumb poo poo. Instead of highlighting their price matching service or anything useful like that, the one near me axed their whole movie section and replaced it with As Seen On TV crap and knockoff perfumes.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Fry's back in the day with its full stocked movies, cd's and video game selection back in the day was something else. that was my toys r us when I was a pre-teen.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They tried extremely hard with their same day delivery but it was far too late.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FilthyImp posted:

Can't pay bills because Amazon so they "Switched to a Consignment" system where vendors only get paid as stuff sells? Or something.

That's exactly correct. The normal model for retail is that the store pays its cost per product to the vendor, and then it makes its money from the markup (for example, the cost for a PS4 game to a store is around $51, then they usually pay about $3-4 per unit to the distributor, so they make about five bucks per game). Fry's switched to a consignment model, in which the suppliers only get paid after the product is sold. Staples operates on a consignment model, but they're so high-volume, sales-wise, that suppliers have been perfectly fine to comply with those terms. Fry's, on the other hand, made its bones with largely big-ticket items that don't fly off the shelves, so their suppliers cut them off.

The only reason some stores are still open is because the company owns the land they're on and doesn't have to pay rent on them.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 29, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh lord don't make me go to their site and see if there's any vinyl I fancy, because that's always an expensive browsing session.

I don't buy records from sites that aren't record specific. Whether or not it's been properly handled and packaged can be a roll of the dice. If it's new poo poo I get it directly from the record label. Everything else I buy online comes from from discogs sellers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m trying to remember how they packaged my stuff before, but I don’t recall ever having concerns. While not vinyl orientated they carry a poo poo ton of it, so I like to think they got issues worked out. But I feel your concerns, like I have no desire to order records from Amazon unless I absolutely have to.

Now, the awfulness of browsing the Deep Discount site, that I can agree with. It’s like you’re suffering to save money.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m trying to remember how they packaged my stuff before, but I don’t recall ever having concerns. While not vinyl orientated they carry a poo poo ton of it, so I like to think they got issues worked out. But I feel your concerns, like I have no desire to order records from Amazon unless I absolutely have to.

Now, the awfulness of browsing the Deep Discount site, that I can agree with. It’s like you’re suffering to save money.

Like I was saying before, Deep Discounts aren't that deep anymore (and in some cases their prices are higher) so I don't think you're better off buying from them instead of the labels. I use to really like this site called Sound Stage Direct but it just disappeared one day. It's a shame because they had great customer service, awesome selection, and everything was packaged way better than any other merchant or website does. They had these boxes they put the records in instead of the typical record mailers which I've never seen anyone use since. They also sold bootlegs which were cool.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maybe down to timing/what you’re looking for. I marked up a bunch of purchases I made last year on Discogs and can see I paid $9 for a Camp Cope record, $8 for a Deafheaven (2x12” too), $6 for a Movielife, $6 for an American Nightmare etc. As much as I love going to my local store, I paid probably about 1/2 as much for all those that I would have going through the racks. I think that Camp Cope record was the most expensive of about 10 I bought in that batch.

E: also found my friends band on there, who lives a good few thousand miles away, much to his shock. A solid $6 well spent ha.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Maybe down to timing/what you’re looking for. I marked up a bunch of purchases I made last year on Discogs and can see I paid $9 for a Camp Cope record, $8 for a Deafheaven (2x12” too), $6 for a Movielife, $6 for an American Nightmare etc. As much as I love going to my local store, I paid probably about 1/2 as much for all those that I would have going through the racks. I think that Camp Cope record was the most expensive of about 10 I bought in that batch.

E: also found my friends band on there, who lives a good few thousand miles away, much to his shock. A solid $6 well spent ha.

I'm astounded that you purchased any record at all for under 15 dollars anytime in the last six or seven years.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I got into this nonsense in the 90s because it was cheap to go to shows and pick up a few 7” for next to nothing. Retail price on newly released records is just ridiculous for the most part these days. Usually if I pay that it’s because I know it’s a short run and I’ll kick myself when the second hand market is flipping them for 5x the price by the following week. Found my order slip for that buy, and it was $80 for 11 records with free shipping. I couldn’t find a working voucher that day either which bugged me, as that would’ve been more off again.

I’m sure my copy of Floral Shoppe will be here any day now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, I got into this nonsense in the 90s because it was cheap to go to shows and pick up a few 7” for next to nothing. Retail price on newly released records is just ridiculous for the most part these days. Usually if I pay that it’s because I know it’s a short run and I’ll kick myself when the second hand market is flipping them for 5x the price by the following week. Found my order slip for that buy, and it was $80 for 11 records with free shipping. I couldn’t find a working voucher that day either which bugged me, as that would’ve been more off again.

I’m sure my copy of Floral Shoppe will be here any day now.

I started about 15 years ago. Got serious about it around 12. Everything is so hosed up and lovely now, I'm just burned out by all of it and where I would at one point have been all about buying something I've gotten to "How much of this poo poo do I really need?". I'm tried of the price gouging, flippers, artificial scarcity, and FOMO bulshit. This use to be fun. Prince records use to be five bucks all day every day. Now they're 20-30 bucks a pop. For gold and platinum selling albums. Same with countless other things. It's all bullshit.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

October Imprint releases:
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=27180

Highlights are Major Dundee, Danger Diabolik, Hard Eight (!), The Day of the Locust, and a noir collection.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Hell yes. Hard Eight blu ray.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Egbert Souse posted:

Hard Eight (!), The Day of the Locust

loving FINALLY

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Franchescanado posted:

Hell yes. Hard Eight blu ray.

:coal: My patience has finally paid off! Now we need the Coen Bros' Ladykillers on Blu-ray (I know there's no demand for it but that's their only film aside from Ballad of Buster Scruggs that isn't on BR and I have a collector's ways

edit; wait. This is an Australian release? Will it play on a US BR player?

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 29, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

what a pretty set.

that's a 12.9 inch ipad beneath it, so its a big one.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dorium posted:

what a pretty set.

Missing a restraining order underneath the iPad. But otherwise nice.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hit me with a regular-rear end UHD in a lame case for $14.99, A24. I don't have Mondo-style money.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Which of these boutique cult film publishers have rights to sony pictures classics/columbia tristar? I want to badger them into figuring out the rights and restoration for the 2000 rave trance flick "Groove."

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

xarph posted:

Which of these boutique cult film publishers have rights to sony pictures classics/columbia tristar? I want to badger them into figuring out the rights and restoration for the 2000 rave trance flick "Groove."

I don’t think I’ve seen this but now I will seek it out

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

caligulamprey posted:

Hit me with a regular-rear end UHD in a lame case for $14.99, A24. I don't have Mondo-style money.

*buys $300 of residents vinyls*

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

:frogsiren:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I, Butthole posted:

*buys $300 of residents vinyls*
ahahhahaha, that's cute that you think it's just $300. :|

(that's still dozens of records)

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

dorium posted:

what a pretty set.

Are there any bonus features?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

xarph posted:

I think Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is literally who is pressing the discs and shipping to stores/warehouses for Criterion these days. I think they've done so for most of the past decade. So I suppose... Criterion?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Tesh posted:

Are there any bonus features?

zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
lmao my Severin order finally arrived and of course it's missing two items, including the The Beast Must Die blu that was stupidly limited to 600 and is almost surely sold out

gently caress this company