Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
There's a new ruleset coming out; https://warwickkinrade.blogspot.com/2020/02/nam-68-first-play-test.html

Platoon level, with campaign mode. Seems interesting. If you're on facebook there's a vietnam wargaming group, which has a ton of info and a lot of painting stuff as well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/832798573741865/about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
OK, how do I contrast WW2 Hungarians? Ospreys don't even seem to agree on whether they're more brown or more green...

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Nice try, getting some sort of feldgrau discussion going

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't know about Hungarians, but I have had success with Poles by using a green wash over brown. You get a hint of the green, but without actually looking green.

Contrast over brown might be a better effect, but I've not yet tried it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
It's that time again we all know and love! It's nappy time!

Today I'm adding some French foot dragoons to my force. Some are from Brigade Games, while the rest are conversions using Victrix bodies and Perry dragoon heads. These guys mean that I can now field a pretty balanced "cavalry" force, using mounted and dismounted dragoons backed up by horse artillery if I want the extra firepower. That makes a much more balanced and playable force for Sharp Practice than a purely mounted force, which would basically just be stuck dancing around infantry squares while slowly being shot down by musket fire.

Converted guys

Mix of conversions and Brigade

Brigade Games dragoons

More pics on the blog:
https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonics-blog/frech-foot-dragoons-brigade-victrixperry-conversions

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JcDent posted:

OK, how do I contrast WW2 Hungarians? Ospreys don't even seem to agree on whether they're more brown or more green...

I don't know Contrast paints, but go with brown.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

03/06/36 Neva Forget

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Do naval minis go here? Because I can't help but notice there's another iteration of Harpoon on the (radar) horizon (allowing for surface ducting).

Free Jumpstart preview pdf

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Madurai posted:

Do naval minis go here? Because I can't help but notice there's another iteration of Harpoon on the (radar) horizon (allowing for surface ducting).

Free Jumpstart preview pdf

Sure! I remember my dad having the computer game in the 90's, and anything beyond the tutorial stage was too much for my child brain to handle.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Harpoon was a boardgame long before it was a computer game.

Larry Bond and Tom Clancy supposedly used it to game out the scenarios in what would become the book Hunt for Red October.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Cessna posted:

Harpoon was a boardgame long before it was a computer game.

Larry Bond and Tom Clancy supposedly used it to game out the scenarios in what would become the book Hunt for Red October.

And Red Storm Rising.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The rules say ducting extends radar range but in every example it seems to limit radar range?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Class Warcraft posted:

03/06/36 Neva Forget
Hell yeahlamo!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Phi230 posted:

The rules say ducting extends radar range but in every example it seems to limit radar range?

Ducting extends your possible horizon limiter, but that's still less than the absolute range; it just restricts it less than not having a duct.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Bad weather means more time doing Napoleonics.

I finally sat down to plan out the artillery for the 2nd Division, and arrived at a modest 14 pieces. That's two stolen Austrian 3-pounders per regiment, as well as a battery of foot infantry and a battery of horse artillery.

I got started on some Foundry crew I had at home already:

I wrote a more detailed shopping list on the blog if you're interested, as well as a beginners course on the difference between regimental and divisional guns:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonics-blog/planning-the-french-artillery

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Class Warcraft posted:

03/06/36 Neva Forget

What's this representing? Napoleon stuff or RCW?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We forgot it (the Alamo)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

lilljonas posted:

We forgot it (the Alamo)

If that's the Alamo, where's the basement?

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Madurai posted:

If that's the Alamo, where's the basement?

The Alamo was in the basement all along!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Tias posted:

What's this representing? Napoleon stuff or RCW?

As send above, it was the Alamo. Now just need to paint up 207 Texans and 3,000 Mexican soldiers and we'll be off to the races!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Ah ok.

I thought you referenced the Neva river in your pun!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

My first Battlegroup demo:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCpdGBZAV_X/

The guy now wants to try CoC/BA with 28mm instead.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So I played the CoC demo with the dude mentioned previously.

We played Patrol, I ran rulebook Brits, he ran Germans. For my supports, I got an Adjutant and the 2mm mortar, he took another Senior Officer.

I'm starting to feel that Patrol isn't that great, as you have to just brrrt the enemy away to win.

And while had quite a few rule questions (how strict is the no-firing-near-friends rule? Can I Overwatch someone doing covering fire? If a squad of 1-man MG team, mostly intact Rifle team, Junior and Senior leader gets hit and eats some kills, and you roll that leaders got hit, how do you know which team's kills do they take on themselves? If a panzershreck team is within 4" from a squad, do the hits to the team go to the Squad?), but the main difficulty was with Shock?

In that we probably had more kill results than Shock, which isn't great for lowering the enemy morale via pinning/routing, and by having two seniors each, we were able to keep the lads trucking anyways.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

So I played the CoC demo with the dude mentioned previously.

We played Patrol, I ran rulebook Brits, he ran Germans. For my supports, I got an Adjutant and the 2mm mortar, he took another Senior Officer.

I'm starting to feel that Patrol isn't that great, as you have to just brrrt the enemy away to win.

And while had quite a few rule questions (how strict is the no-firing-near-friends rule? Can I Overwatch someone doing covering fire? If a squad of 1-man MG team, mostly intact Rifle team, Junior and Senior leader gets hit and eats some kills, and you roll that leaders got hit, how do you know which team's kills do they take on themselves? If a panzershreck team is within 4" from a squad, do the hits to the team go to the Squad?), but the main difficulty was with Shock?

In that we probably had more kill results than Shock, which isn't great for lowering the enemy morale via pinning/routing, and by having two seniors each, we were able to keep the lads trucking anyways.

Yeah one of my main problem with TFL is that they are worse at writing scenarios than rules, and Patrol is just a pretty bad scenario, especially for beginners.

The no fire through friendlies are played differently by different groups, I think. Some allow troops in the same section to fire through (basically so that you can have two "ranks", some don't. Most important is that you don't blast through other units IMHO.

It's not clearly stated that you can fire overwatch against covering fire, but I'd allow it. After all, you can overwatch as a reaction to someone firing, moving or deploying (p39). You'll fire the overwatch AFTER the opponent shoots.

The leader will risk taking a kill if it is caused to the team or section within 4". It is not clearly written in the rules section, but in the example given on p 39 you roll once for all combined kills, and then the player that lost a model chooses which team is spared a kill.

If another team is within 4" of the team that's being shot at, you divide the hits between them. For example, a German section with a LMG team and a Rifle team is standing close to a Panzershreck team. They get shot at, and suffers 13 hits. These hits are divided between the three German teams (four each), and the odd extra hit is chosen by the firer if the target is in the open, or the receiving player if the target is in cover. So then allocating kills and shock is not an issue, as you'll roll the effects separately. It's then possible that the LMG team is completely unscathed while the Panzershreck is killed outright, for example.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Double post because this is big one.

Well here it is, fifty pages of desert warfare!

​We were planning to playtest this campaign book this Spring, but unfortunalely a certain virus got in the way. So instead of keeping it on hold even longer, it is now available for download. This means that there might be some more issues with it than we'd like, and it might get revised later on. On he upside, it means that you're free to try it out and give us feedback on it.

What's in the book?

The main bit is a bunch of platoon lists with mostly historically accurate support lists for playing Chain of Command in the North Africa desert in spring of 1942. It is based on the battle of Gazala, but it's more or less usable for El-Alamein as well. So if you want to play games set in the middle of the North Africa campaign, this book will probably be useful to you. There's also a complete Order of Battle for Gazala in case you want to collect a very historically correct force, down to what support options you'd have around.

There are also rules for a modifided version on the official At the Sharp End campaign rules, using a permanent support pool, separate tank battle ladders and some other extra spice. These are general campaign rules that can be applied to any AtSE campaign, no matter where it plays out, if you want some variation.

The book has a new scenario, "Outnumbered!", where a smaller force has to fend off two attacking platoons.

We also try out a way to customize your platoons a bit using a twist to the National Characteristics. This is both a way to give some personality to your force, and a way to try out new tactical challenges if you've seen the same platoons meet many times already. What if these New Zeelanders are actually good at scouting and throwing grenades instead? What if these Germans light infantry are very tenacious close combat fighters? Some of you might like this, some of you might not, but it's there to try out.

Finally, we also have a set of optional house rules that you can try out at any Chain of Command game.

So overall we hope that the book has at least something interesting for all CoC players, be it historical background or new ways to play the game. We'd love to hear feedback from you for revisions of the book or any further campaign books.

Dowload the book at the blog:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/mediterranean-theater/fire-burn-and-cauldron-bubble-our-gazala-campaign-book

JcDent
May 13, 2013

lilljonas posted:

Yeah one of my main problem with TFL is that they are worse at writing scenarios than rules, and Patrol is just a pretty bad scenario, especially for beginners.

Any scenario recommendations?

Also, did we get Shock right? "Kill" results just do kills, they don't generate shock, right?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I mean yeah, in both the text and the example they give below it a Kill does not apply Shock unless some FAQ addresses it. Honestly I just use CoC for it's platoon listings and clever support point system. I find it too ambiguous and fiddly for the speed of games I like.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

Any scenario recommendations?

Also, did we get Shock right? "Kill" results just do kills, they don't generate shock, right?

Scenarios with clearer attacker and defender are better in general, I’d say. Probe or attack & defend are decent imho.

And yes, killw don’t generate shock. But getting people killed lowers your threshold for how much shock you can take without breaking.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My kid discovered all my boxed up Flames of War stuff from early-to-mid 00's and his questions plus pandemic boredom were enough to make me assemble the last few blister packs. I looked up the rules and it seems like everything is totally different. I'm like the only person in my area code who plays so I could just keep my V2 stuff, but there are a shitload of rules. I'd like to try the streamlined version (especially if I can get my kid to play nerd games with me) but not if it means buying a dozen books all over again, and then card decks on top of that.

I have about 4k points each of combined arms for both German and American armies under the old system that I'd like to squeeze some use out of - what materials are needed to start playing again, and is it worth upgrading to v4? The nearby game stores stopped carrying it so I can't even drop by to check it out. I'm not too deep into historical accuracy and can live with generic forces.

Thanks!

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 26, 2020

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Guest2553 posted:

My kid discovered all my boxed up Flames of War stuff from early-to-mid 00's and his questions plus pandemic boredom were enough to make me assemble the last few blister packs. I looked up the rules and it seems like everything is totally different. I'm like the only person in my area code who plays so I could just keep my V2 stuff, but there are a shitload of rules. I'd like to try the streamlined version (especially if I can get my kid to play nerd games with me) but not if it means buying a dozen books all over again, and then card decks on top of that.

I have about 4k points each of combined arms for both German and American armies under the old system that I'd like to squeeze some use out of - what materials are needed to start playing again, and is it worth upgrading to v4? The nearby game stores stopped carrying it so I can't even drop by to check it out. I'm not too deep into historical accuracy and can live with generic forces.

Thanks!

It's not Flames of War, but I'd recommend checking out What a Tanker. It's very small-scale, using only a single tank on either side, but it's a lot of fun and a game usually lasts for about 30 minutes. You can use FoW minis with it, so it sounds like you'd have all the stuff you'd need. The only issue you might run into is that the system for activating and using your tank's abilities is based on die rolls, so for example depending on how you roll you may be be able to shoot, or reload, or move etc. in a given turn, which has proven frustrating for some people when I've played it.

Edit: And as far as simplicity goes, the rulebook includes a rules reference sheet that covers a single sheet of paper, which is all you need for the majority of game-play.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I've been using Hammer of Democracy for my 15mm models. If you search me in this thread I did an effortpost on it. It's certainly lighter than FoW but I see that as a good thing.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Guest2553 posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that 4th edition is pretty decent, especially if you're looking for a quick game. It's not hardcore historicals, but it's still fun. Yes, the game's popularity dropped off as 4th edition wasn't well received, but playing with your kid is always good - I've done the same, but USSR v. Germany.

You can get what you need to play 4th edition with the rulebook and the book Fortress Europa, which has basic lists for late-war Germany, US, UK, and USSR. If you have 4000 points you'll be able to put together armies.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
You can always try out Battlegroup, I’ve yet to try it out but it fits well with 15mm figures and those who have played it seems to give good reviews.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is anyone doing historicals via Tabletop Simulator these days? Just from futzing around with it for 20 minutes, it seems like a good option during the lockdown. I want to get into historicals, but I'm not going to build up an army right now since no clubs are meeting. I still need to figure out the mechanics of actually making all of that stuff ... work... in TTS, but it seems like a great solution.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Thanks for the recommendations/effortpost. I grabbed Battlegroup and found free rules for something called Combat: WWII as well, so I'll play around with them.

I ordered a 'Hit The Beach' starter pack for the armor and since found out that it contains a full rulebook, so I'll have one of those too once it arrives. Don't think I'll go further into FOW since I'd need four separate rulebooks to just use the units I have laying around. That business model is too nickel-and-dimey for me.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Is anyone doing historicals via Tabletop Simulator these days? Just from futzing around with it for 20 minutes, it seems like a good option during the lockdown. I want to get into historicals, but I'm not going to build up an army right now since no clubs are meeting. I still need to figure out the mechanics of actually making all of that stuff ... work... in TTS, but it seems like a great solution.

There are many modules that have minis (either 2D cutouts, 3D scans or actual game models - sometimes moving ones!) that you can just pull from and into your session as long as you subscribed to them in the workshop.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

Thanks for the recommendations/effortpost. I grabbed Battlegroup and found free rules for something called Combat: WWII as well, so I'll play around with them.

I ordered a 'Hit The Beach' starter pack for the armor and since found out that it contains a full rulebook, so I'll have one of those too once it arrives. Don't think I'll go further into FOW since I'd need four separate rulebooks to just use the units I have laying around. That business model is too nickel-and-dimey for me.

Hit the beach is solid to get started for Battlegroup. Did you get the hardcover rulebook?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I bought a soft copy of an older release for a few bucks. the only hard copies I could find in country are like $50.

I ordered the box set from Battlefront directly, hope their supply lines aren't totally ruined by COVID!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thinking of giving SAGA a try. Anybody here played it enough to give a breakdown of the different factions and how they play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

Thinking of giving SAGA a try. Anybody here played it enough to give a breakdown of the different factions and how they play?

Which era? Crusades, Arthurian, or Dark Ages?