Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New old amp day

Silvertone 9075 amp from ~1958. These were for record players, not guitars, but are basically a Champ. 12AU7 and a 12AX7 with a 6v6GT and a 6X5GT rectifier. Volume/on-off, tone, and a Lo and Hi Level inputs, 8" speaker.

Hi-Level works great with a guitar, though it's clean all the way to 10 and not that loud at max volume. Lo is noisy and LOUD at 1, pretty much not usable without modding. Not sure if I'll try it myself, need to open it up and see if it's been messed with first. I will probably swap tubes, everything but the 12AU7 are modern manufacture and Russian or Chinese

It's had a three prong cord installed, and the speaker has been replaced. I will probably change it again, it's a ceramic magnet, and looks like a hi-fi speaker instead of a guitar speaker. They did re-route the power cable, it used to come out of the FRONT of the amp in the lower left corner by the power indicator. It also came with a cover that clipped on the front, which is long gone like 90% of these amps out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That. Is. So. COOOOOL! The "Low Level" actually adds two(!) gain stages from the 12AU7 so that would explain why it's so much louder. The "Hi Level" bypasses them.

Edit: If you don't care about originality I would replace the Low jack with a switch that either sends your signal through Hi or through Low AND Hi and then I'd probably add a gain pot between the two. This way Hi would be like your clean channel 1 and when you engage the switch you'd have a "drive" channel with a gain knob. You could even do a simple footswitch channel switcher.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 11, 2020

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012

AstroZamboni posted:

That one on the right is sexy as hell.

It's a Gretsch 5135 I think. It's hard to remember the weird numbering that they give their guitars. It's definitely my favorite guitar for aesthetics, sound, and how comfortable it is to play. I've heard it described as a mutant SG, which is a pretty good description since it has the same thin body style.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

widefault posted:

New old amp day

Silvertone 9075 amp from ~1958. These were for record players, not guitars, but are basically a Champ. 12AU7 and a 12AX7 with a 6v6GT and a 6X5GT rectifier. Volume/on-off, tone, and a Lo and Hi Level inputs, 8" speaker.

Hi-Level works great with a guitar, though it's clean all the way to 10 and not that loud at max volume. Lo is noisy and LOUD at 1, pretty much not usable without modding. Not sure if I'll try it myself, need to open it up and see if it's been messed with first. I will probably swap tubes, everything but the 12AU7 are modern manufacture and Russian or Chinese

It's had a three prong cord installed, and the speaker has been replaced. I will probably change it again, it's a ceramic magnet, and looks like a hi-fi speaker instead of a guitar speaker. They did re-route the power cable, it used to come out of the FRONT of the amp in the lower left corner by the power indicator. It also came with a cover that clipped on the front, which is long gone like 90% of these amps out there.

That's pretty rad. I have a Harmony H303A that I replaced the cord on and recapped a couple winters ago and it, too, is Very Loud. Even as a tiny bedroom amp. Three instrument inputs; I usually use the middle one as for some reason it sounds best to me. (I think it goes through a different gain stage? I don't recall.) Great effects base. Those lovely Sears amps from back in the day are still fun as hell.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

(Cross posted from Retro Games lol)

Got something pretty interesting from Craigslist today - a Yamaha CX5M:

It's basically an MSX computer (one of the few to be released in the US), compatible with MSX software, has the cartridge slot and joystick ports and everything. But, it also contains an FM synthesizer based on the YM2151 chip, which went in some of Yamaha's DX keyboards and also lots of arcade games (the Sega System 16 used it so it powered the music in Shinobi, Altered Beast, Fantasy Zone, etc.)

I got it for a steal, it powers on but is otherwise untested. It needs a separate proprietary keyboard peripheral for the synth (it has MIDI in/out but on this model that can only be used to program a Yamaha DX-7 for some reason) and I need to find a compatible video cable for it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Actually on closer inspection it looks like this unit has been upgraded with the SFG-05 synth module which allows for any MIDI controller to be used. Score!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Pablo Nergigante posted:

(Cross posted from Retro Games lol)

Got something pretty interesting from Craigslist today - a Yamaha CX5M:

It's basically an MSX computer (one of the few to be released in the US), compatible with MSX software, has the cartridge slot and joystick ports and everything. But, it also contains an FM synthesizer based on the YM2151 chip, which went in some of Yamaha's DX keyboards and also lots of arcade games (the Sega System 16 used it so it powered the music in Shinobi, Altered Beast, Fantasy Zone, etc.)

I got it for a steal, it powers on but is otherwise untested. It needs a separate proprietary keyboard peripheral for the synth (it has MIDI in/out but on this model that can only be used to program a Yamaha DX-7 for some reason) and I need to find a compatible video cable for it.

:eyepop:

God drat, that's a phenomenal find.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That’s bonkers what a score.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I think I may have just used up my pawn shop luck for a while.

1983 Hamer Phantom A5. It's weirdly-shaped, pointy, with a triple coil bridge pickup and cost about as much as a new Squier.

Does have some chipping on the side of the neck, though the previous owner sanded it down so you can't feel it. They also replaced the pickguard, which kind of sucks since I doubt I'll ever find an original.

Needs a major scrub down, re-string, and a setup.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I am hopefully getting one of these this fall.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petesmithfusion/jimi-hendrix-practice-and-recording-amplifier/description

Can never have too many amps. (And I love the story behind it)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 14, 2020

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

(Excuse the potatovision)

Got this baby second hand online, and it arrived today!

Primarily it's designed to trigger samples via SD card (which take an eternity to load, apparently) but I got it to instead run the midi out into my audio interface so I can program drums in a slightly more articulate/human way.

Also pictured are the makings of a piezo kick trigger.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Surf Green American Performer Telecaster HS. I had originally planned on getting a Tele with a thicker neck (which pretty much just means the Vintera these days) , but the satin finish (body and neck) and obviously correct color won out. A Humbucker on a Telecaster still feels wrong, but the bridge pickup is where the magic is anyway, and the extra flexibility doesn't hurt

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That is a nice looking guitar!

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress yes.

My sweetwater rep got me a hella good deal. Brand spankin new Model 12 + a gig bag (it's a really lovely bag but whatever) for $615 after taxes.

Nice. The recording feature has interested me for a while. How have you found the recording workflow and quality with this?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

good jovi posted:

Surf Green American Performer Telecaster HS. I had originally planned on getting a Tele with a thicker neck (which pretty much just means the Vintera these days) , but the satin finish (body and neck) and obviously correct color won out. A Humbucker on a Telecaster still feels wrong, but the bridge pickup is where the magic is anyway, and the extra flexibility doesn't hurt

Beautiful - surf green is my favorite color on a guitar besides a classic sunburst

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Got this in the mail today - Alesis QX25 to play around with the CX5M. One of the few smaller MIDI controllers that has an actual MIDI out and I got a great deal on it. I have the MIDI cable but I'm still waiting on the video cable for the CX5M. And I don't have a USB cable for it so I can't try it out on my computer yet lol. But it's in good condition and the keys are full-sized and have a decent weight to them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dan Hollis posted:

Nice. The recording feature has interested me for a while. How have you found the recording workflow and quality with this?
I've really only used it for an audio interface so far. Skype meetings and such.
Haven't touched recording yet but it's pretty straightforward. Actually everything is except I don't think I can get PC return audio over USB to route to any channel other than 1/2 which is annoying as gently caress.
Quality is decent. The preamps are very good. The faders are alright. The knobs are...knobby?

I mean it's pretty unbeatable for the money. It's basically a studio in a box.

From my limited experience with it I have no qualms with recommending it unless you really need more than 48khz sampling for some reason.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Got this in the mail today - Alesis QX25 to play around with the CX5M. One of the few smaller MIDI controllers that has an actual MIDI out and I got a great deal on it. I have the MIDI cable but I'm still waiting on the video cable for the CX5M. And I don't have a USB cable for it so I can't try it out on my computer yet lol. But it's in good condition and the keys are full-sized and have a decent weight to them.

Looks awesome post a trip report when you can.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New used pedal day

Eleca ESD-1, clone of the black-cased Russian Big Muff. Dirt cheap, usually sell under $40 shipped.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
New to me mixer showed up.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

So I got the composite cable for the CX5M and it boots up just fine, everything looks good, but when I boot into the synth module it’s actually the original one that doesn’t allow for MIDI and needs a dedicated keyboard peripheral. Boo hiss

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Two Notes Captor X finally arrived and it is a dream to be able to flog my loud as balls tube amp into something that lets me use headphones and most importantly it sounds great. I love it.

Edit: the official IRs you can download from Celestion’s website are amazing.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 24, 2020

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
Just got a set of Kali LP6s for the "work" at home rig.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Two Notes Captor X finally arrived and it is a dream to be able to flog my loud as balls tube amp into something that lets me use headphones and most importantly it sounds great. I love it.

Edit: the official IRs you can download from Celestion’s website are amazing.

Nice! Which amp(s) are you running into it?

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Two Notes Captor X finally arrived and it is a dream to be able to flog my balls tube

On my fone and it looked like you had a steering wheel on that thing

Nice

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

homewrecker posted:

Nice! Which amp(s) are you running into it?

Ampeg VL-502

I am Otis posted:

On my fone and it looked like you had a steering wheel on that thing

Nice

lol my destroyed Audio-Technicas.

I bought a virtual cab/IR from Two Notes that I didn't even know existed: the Marshall JCM 800 Bass 2x15. It sounds heavy as poo poo for guitar.

They are loaded with EVM-15Ls!

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 28, 2020

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Okay, I am expecting something terrible to happen to me in the next few days, otherwise it doesn't explain this deal.

~2000 USA G&L Legacy with a reverse headstock. I need to pull the neck to check for the date stamp, but the serial# format says around 2000.

Now, the bad, the original pickguard has been replaced with one made of tooled leather, bridge pickup replaced with some kind of single-sized humbucker, and the pickups colored black with what appears to have been a Sharpie!

And this, not for the squeamish

13th to 22nd frets all scalloped

Walked out the door with this and an SKB hard case for $254.24. Even with the problems I think I could double my money plus a bit

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

It’s very pretty.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

widefault posted:

Okay, I am expecting something terrible to happen to me in the next few days, otherwise it doesn't explain this deal.

~2000 USA G&L Legacy with a reverse headstock. I need to pull the neck to check for the date stamp, but the serial# format says around 2000.

Now, the bad, the original pickguard has been replaced with one made of tooled leather, bridge pickup replaced with some kind of single-sized humbucker, and the pickups colored black with what appears to have been a Sharpie!

And this, not for the squeamish

13th to 22nd frets all scalloped

Walked out the door with this and an SKB hard case for $254.24. Even with the problems I think I could double my money plus a bit

Do you see how they massacre my boy? WHY DID THEY DO THAT TO THE NECK

I mean it's gonna take work but G&L stuff is unreal.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Most of that poo poo is fixable, thankfully.
Do G&L S-style (S500/Legacy) pickguards more or less match strat, re: mounting screw holes?
That neck scalloping is atrocious! Why would anybody do such a thing?! :psyduck: Guess you're stuck w/that.
Still a crazy bargain at $250!

Related: I love G&L

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Scallops rule, cowboy leather rules, that thing rules :colbert:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Scallops = probably fucks bad dont @ me :wink:

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Things got better and/or worse. Bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan JBJr, but it seems a little weak to me.

The leather appears to be attached to the original pickguard, don't know if I'm brave enough to try to peel it off. A "normal" Strat pickguard would need mods to fit around the posts and the curve of the front of the bridge.

I did take a little hand sanitizer that's 80+% alcohol and the Sharpie is coming off the pickup covers quite nicely. I also think it looks better with the white covers, but I'm a fan of black guard/white covers & knobs.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

widefault posted:

A "normal" Strat pickguard would need mods to fit around the posts and the curve of the front of the bridge.

That's easy enough with a Dremel or some sandpaper or even an X-acto if you're in a pinch. I'd be more worried about the mounting screw holes lining up.

edit: Also I had a JB Jr in my Squier strat before I put EMGs in it and I can confirm that it's fairly hot, but not so much as an actual full-size humbucker. It's simple enough to just throw a little more gain on the ol' distortion pedal though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I don't know how anybody plays scalloped fretboards. You can't stabilize yourself against anything so it feels way too floaty.

Try writing on a piece of paper with a pen but you have to keep your hand suspended in air instead of resting on the desk. That's what it feels like to play scalloped fretboards. Why would you do that to yourself?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 30, 2020

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

GreatGreen posted:

I don't know how anybody plays scalloped fretboards. You can't stabilize yourself against anything so it feels way too floaty.

Try writing on a piece of paper with a pen but you have to keep your hand suspended in air instead of resting on the desk. That's what it feels like to play scalloped fretboards. Why would you do that to yourself?
Are the scallops tuned, so you e.g. get exactly a half-step if you push down all the way?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

widefault posted:

Things got better and/or worse. Bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan JBJr, but it seems a little weak to me.

The leather appears to be attached to the original pickguard, don't know if I'm brave enough to try to peel it off. A "normal" Strat pickguard would need mods to fit around the posts and the curve of the front of the bridge.

I did take a little hand sanitizer that's 80+% alcohol and the Sharpie is coming off the pickup covers quite nicely. I also think it looks better with the white covers, but I'm a fan of black guard/white covers & knobs.

You can get a replacement Legacy pickguard through a place like Greasy Groove or Pickguard Planet.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Remulak posted:

Are the scallops tuned, so you e.g. get exactly a half-step if you push down all the way?

Nah, they're just there so you don't feel the fretboard when you fret the strings. Some people like that apparently. Yngwie Malmsteen is probably the most well known scalloper, exclusively playing scalloped-fret strats.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I'll be honest, I'm not going to put any money into a new pickguard because I know me, and this'll end up on Reverb in a week or two when I get bored with it. I've got other Strats, and so far this one doesn't seem to do anything better than the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

widefault posted:

I'll be honest, I'm not going to put any money into a new pickguard because I know me, and this'll end up on Reverb in a week or two when I get bored with it. I've got other Strats, and so far this one doesn't seem to do anything better than the others.
If it weren't for that scalloping, I'd make you a cash offer right now, haha.