Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

gradenko_2000 posted:

that's because some things in the game are exposed in the MPQ files and can be changed readily, while other stuff is buried in the game's executable and can't be changed short of getting the source code

I know blizz is very "we uh, love mods, and how it uh, extended the life of our game," but modding ability is very clearly an accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

that's because some things in the game are exposed in the MPQ files and can be changed readily, while other stuff is buried in the game's executable and can't be changed short of getting the source code
Median XL and many of the pservers have assembly patches for the game. A significant amount of reverse engineering work on d2 has been done over the years, and especially in the past 10 or so it has been shared among the community instead of used for profit.

There is a decent amount of sharing between PoD, Median, and what remains of the pserver community behind the scenes because they all face similar problems and sharing fixes/code they come up with saves them massive time later when other people in that community share theirs. There's also a sort of positive feedback loop where if someone plays d2 anywhere, even bnet/single player, they're more likely to try Median, PoD, slash, etc.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 15, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Median in particular is apparently about 100k additional lines of code and is impressively polished and not buggy. I'd be surprised if there is much at all beyond their ability to alter.

The lower defense while running thing I assume is meant to make you easier to stun/put into hit recovery while running so you can't just run past the entire game. It also makes positioning have higher stakes. At least for those reasons I can see why it's left in

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Median in particular is apparently about 100k additional lines of code and is impressively polished and not buggy. I'd be surprised if there is much at all beyond their ability to alter.

The lower defense while running thing I assume is meant to make you easier to stun/put into hit recovery while running so you can't just run past the entire game. It also makes positioning have higher stakes. At least for those reasons I can see why it's left in
Block chance dropping to 1/3 while moving is a good mechanic. It encourages you to deliberately stop moving before bone spirits hit you in chaos or mobs everywhere. You stop moving for a few frames then resume moving, and the game has such a great core mechanics that even though blocks have a large number of frames the movement feels right after. Defense not working while moving I have far more fixed feelings about. Defense and to a lesser extent attack rating are questionable systems in D2 that are made worse by inaccurate tooltips and just how opaque they are.

D2 has a ton of little things like that block thing that make the game really engaging to just play even after thousands of hours. Tons of active, dynamic minmax stuff and optimizations that are there if you want but invisible otherwise.

I haven't played the latest iteration of Median, but even before their massive revamp they had by far the most custom code of anyone.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 15, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
huh I didn't know that people were able to modify that much in the... years since I've last played. That's pretty neat.

I do kinda agree though that run penalties have a deliberate tactical design purpose that you wouldn't necessarily want to remove even if you could - "white man walks, black man runs" was a saying in an old Defiant Paladin build guide that's stuck with me all these years.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Diving into Blizzard's original game design is kind of like picking up a beetle and looking underneath

It is a brief glimpse into the insanity and desperation of an inexperienced god

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Of course i find a ber rune and a 3 cold skills/74 life/2os circlet one week before the slashdiablo reset :cripes:

Khorne
May 1, 2002
slashdiablo ladder is resetting tonight at 7pm est

if anyone is interested in playing hc let me know

I will probably be playing solo so there's plenty of room to tag along. You can drop in/out and I can even rush you later.

edit: eh, ducked out. Not feeling the grind. I played a lot last season.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 25, 2020

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
It's the pandemic and I'm reverting back to my high school self, so of course I want to play LoD again after a decade away. Here is how I'd like to experience the game:
  • Single-player preferred
  • Nice-ish graphics would be appreciated (even if it's just a glidewrapper or a visual mod)
  • PlugY functionality: stash upgrade, bnet runewords, uber quests, etc.
  • Better than base drops, or at least an upgraded ability to find nice things so I don't have to solo-grind forever
  • Maphack and pickit would be nice, but not needed
Based on those parameters, how should I proceed? I've been reading about Slashdiablo but it seems like it's mainly for multiplayer and I wouldn't get the stash/PlugY mods even if I played solo. I also found the Goontopia ES page but I want to just play mostly vanilla for now.

Am I off base in those assessments? I do have my old CD key if that matters for anything. Thanks!

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Akbar posted:

It's the pandemic and I'm reverting back to my high school self, so of course I want to play LoD again after a decade away. Here is how I'd like to experience the game:
  • Single-player preferred
  • Nice-ish graphics would be appreciated (even if it's just a glidewrapper or a visual mod)
  • PlugY functionality: stash upgrade, bnet runewords, uber quests, etc.
  • Better than base drops, or at least an upgraded ability to find nice things so I don't have to solo-grind forever
  • Maphack and pickit would be nice, but not needed
Based on those parameters, how should I proceed? I've been reading about Slashdiablo but it seems like it's mainly for multiplayer and I wouldn't get the stash/PlugY mods even if I played solo. I also found the Goontopia ES page but I want to just play mostly vanilla for now.

Am I off base in those assessments? I do have my old CD key if that matters for anything. Thanks!

I dunno, try this, I found this a while back and saved it because you sound like me.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3628524&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=21#post499874782

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Thanks, this looks good! So this is starting from a regular 1.12 install right?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I have no idea what that is, but you don't want anything downloaded from Blizzard official, because that would be 1.14+ and that breaks basically all modding. You can find all the patches to all versions are the bottom on the PlugY website.

cnice
Apr 6, 2017
I really need to try out some mods like PoD, especially since they typically do resets in between ladder resets. I feel like 6 months for ladder is too long, but maybe it's a blessing in disguise considering the game feels fresh for the first month after 5 months of not playing it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
PoD is resetting in a couple weeks so now would be a good time.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Is it possible to have multiple d2 mods installed? Ive had median xl installed for the past 2 years or so and jump on it once every couple of months, but it would be cool to mess around with PoD or even Eastern Sun.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

soscannonballs posted:

Is it possible to have multiple d2 mods installed? Ive had median xl installed for the past 2 years or so and jump on it once every couple of months, but it would be cool to mess around with PoD or even Eastern Sun.
Have separate d2 installs.

D2 can run from any folder. The only annoying part is registry settings if it's reading those. I think most launchers for pservers have the registry settings handled automatically now, though. PoD + MXL + SlashD all do at least.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 31, 2020

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
What the above poster said.

But I've also seen D2SE as a mod manager get brought up before, no idea if it's good.

https://www.moddb.com/downloads/d2se-mod-manager

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Yeah maybe I'll jump on Median XL after this vanilla-ish run gets stale. I'm nearly through Normal working on this solo Zealot run. What are the chances I can get through Hell without having to respec to Holy Shock?

cnice
Apr 6, 2017

Akbar posted:

Yeah maybe I'll jump on Median XL after this vanilla-ish run gets stale. I'm nearly through Normal working on this solo Zealot run. What are the chances I can get through Hell without having to respec to Holy Shock?

Guess it depends on your long you’re willing to stick it out. I’ve always wanted to make a triple Dream pally. Last time a played an Auradin you could still do the bug to stack damage or whatever by trading if I remember correctly. Not sure if that was ever patched.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The Path of Diablo servers reset today in case anyone is interested.

https://pathofdiablo.com/

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Vakal posted:

The Path of Diablo servers reset today in case anyone is interested.

https://pathofdiablo.com/

I'm in

Is there a consolidated list of changes? I'm looking at the path notes but things change between versions of course.

e: oh I guess the Wiki works well enough

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 16, 2020

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I was cleaning out programs on my hard drive and saw the original Diablo/Hellfire and D2 LOD and thought to my self - I can now start a Javazon - these are not getting deleted even though I haven't played the games in poo poo knows how many years - pretty sure my internet connection at the time relied on AOL CDs from Blockbuster.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I made a battlenet room incase goons just are bored Room name is "Goonsquads" and passwords is "Gooons" - just normal dificulty - I have not played in a while.

poo poo edit sorry password may be "Gooons" - that is displayed on the screen - I don't know how capitilazation works in this old game - but that is how it is displayed.

Edit 2: Also on Ladder - I just got past Blood Raven
.Going to join a random room - assuming it will all be bots?

I ain't even good at this bout I friggen forgot how to invite people in the "room" or accept one HAHAHAHAHA! This is still actually fun. "okay the thingy says the press "P" key for that - well how the F was I supposed to remember that after 15ish years. - No that I know that maybe I can get into a group with someone!

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 31, 2020

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Since the last post was days ago I feel a need for a new one to ask a question.

Is there a way to chat to a party member and ask "Hey dude do you have a waypoint to the outer cloister?"

I for the life of me can not figure it out. I don't want to send a private message, just something to whoever is in the party.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

hit enter and type your message and hit enter again. If you don't remember the keys go into options and look at what the key binds are.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
That is all it takes? I tried that but I couldn't see a message being posted. I guess it was sent and I just didn't see it? I guess I am just old.

Edit: spellings

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

That is all it takes? I tried that but I couldn't see a message being posted. I guess it was sent and I just didn't see it? I guess I am just old.

Edit: spellings

you should be able to see your message as you type it, and after you hit enter. Look at your key binds, maybe it's been changed from the default.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I can see it now and was able to type to someone - maybe there was some weird windows 10 bug or something that would not let me see it before. Did the forgotten tower with some nice guy/gal.

Just to add - I miss this age of non-voice chat. Most peoples voices irritate me.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Fallen into a lull between my modern releases entertaining me and :20bux: later I'm back on cLoD ladder. I've got to say that the official servers are somehow even laggier than I remembered.

Current plan (assuming I don't get bored partway through) is to use a light sorc to farm up early gear, then run a fire -> hybrid -> cold sorc through the standard game since online respecs without PlugY are now a thing. I figure I can use Leaf/Cathan's to skip what used to be very painful normal levelling for a Frozen Orb sorc (Vanilla Ice Bolt may be the Actual Worst?), switch over to Cold once I've got enough levels to sink a few into Frozen Orb/Cold Mastery, and use Fire Wall to deal with cold immunes. Should be enough to carry me through NM/Hell so I can get some real farming on. Would eventually like to come back to my Light sorc with top shelf gear so I can respec to pure Lightning + Synergies and max efficiency Energy Shield.

The dream (lol) would be to work back up to my double Dream/Conviction Zealot that melted absolutely everything last time the stars aligned for me to acquire the gear. I don't think that was close to a perfect build, even? I vaguely remember running either Guardian Angel or Gladiator's Bane instead of full luxury Leviathan or CoH (Enigma is for nerds). Hmmm. And I think someone passed me Stormlash or Schaefer's for maximum elec lols (CB%/Static Field on Striking), but a zealot with lv30 Holy Shock smacking things with 0 defense and -100% res (I don't recall any immunities standing up to a dedicated Conviction build?) already pasted things efficiently. Fortitude + physical weapon would have probably been unnecessary (Dracul's Life Tap was plenty of leech), but I probably could have further optimized my weapon choice somehow. I'd say Last Wish if every Jah in existence weren't going into Enigma/Dream/Faith/(Ice?) runewords, and the drat thing needs three Jah's. :whitewater: Eh, I've got time to think about it.

I'll say as my second returning impression (playing solo so far to try and accumulate a respectable war chest for my Cold sorc without pubs snatching everything up) that level 1 Teleport without +skills or much energy investment is complete rear end.

e: is there by chance a discord for us fellow D2 weirdoes?

Malah fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 8, 2020

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Out of the blue i got the sudden urge to play D2 again. Played ES with goons several years ago but other than that have not played D2 since 1.09!

Ant other goons playing EU HC ladder?

EDIT: Well that was a short lived stint of D2.

I joined a game where someone was giving away gear, so i decided to create a mule to keep the gear safe. Logged out of my "main", logged on to mule, grabbed the gear, then back to my main and i got temp banned for joining games too quickly.
How the gently caress else am i supposed to mule my gear. This is how we did it back in the day, you could keep doing this for hours without issue but now it is a bannable offense? jesus christ.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 12, 2020

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
lmao just wait a bit between character swapping so it doesn't think you are a bot

they specifically don't want people muling so they made the detection much tighter than back in the day

you lost a bunch of stuff that is probably junk in the long run, just play

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ineptitude posted:

Out of the blue i got the sudden urge to play D2 again. Played ES with goons several years ago but other than that have not played D2 since 1.09!

Ant other goons playing EU HC ladder?

EDIT: Well that was a short lived stint of D2.

I joined a game where someone was giving away gear, so i decided to create a mule to keep the gear safe. Logged out of my "main", logged on to mule, grabbed the gear, then back to my main and i got temp banned for joining games too quickly.
How the gently caress else am i supposed to mule my gear. This is how we did it back in the day, you could keep doing this for hours without issue but now it is a bannable offense? jesus christ.
Bnet's current settings ban you for actually playing the game. If you try to level efficiently you'll also get temp banned unless you switch cdkey sets or ips.

That's a big part of why I quit bnet. The other part being all of the rmt/spamming/botting and the lack of actual players.

The good news is there are great pservers to play on. Path of Diablo, Slash Diablo are my two favorites. PoD is like Diablo II LoD patch 1.20 or maybe like a second expansion even. Slash Diablo is the normal game but they allow maphack & the drop rate is the same as 7players being in the area independent of how many people are in the game. Which isn't a downside in 2020 imo. Median XL is also good if you want a total conversion modded playstyle like Eastern Sun. I say "like" eastern sun, but the only similarity is they're entirely different games from normal d2.

All three of those servers also let you choose game server location when you make a game. They have EU, NA, SEA, and many other regions covered on a single mega server. Pservers have eclipsed officials in terms of legitimacy & features.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 12, 2020

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
If you've already started playing on Battle.net, I hope your install came from physical CDs or you're never playing a prviate server.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Khorne posted:

Private server stuff

Thats a good pitch, maybe ill play on one of those instead

Tubgoat posted:

If you've already started playing on Battle.net, I hope your install came from physical CDs or you're never playing a prviate server.

Or not...

My install came from the blizzard downloads.

I have the physical CDs but no CD-ROM so i added the keys to my bnet account and installed the game from their downloads.

Why can i now never play on private servers?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Not sure what he's saying. I did that recently (bnet then went to slash Diablo).

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Ive been messing with Path of Diablo and while it's a mod there's way more familiar than non familiar

My only issue seems to be that realms restart every 30 minutes

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

FWIW i can play Median XL and Path of Diablo just fine with the installa from blizzard and the game patched to 1.14c

Malah
May 18, 2015

Anyone dabbling with mods should absolutely be using D2SE to manage them. I have a separate folder for when I dabble in cLOD online play (even though Blizz clearly doesn't bother to keep Warden on anymore) and then my main install has D2SE managing something like 15 mods. Classic Median XL works fine with it, but the modern version (Median XL Sigma or something?) digs so deep into D2's ancient engine that it goes in its own install folder.

I might migrate to POD just because of how terrible the official online realms are. It's incredibly frustrating.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Where are the good sources of information for Median XL?

Im reading the bowzon guide on their forum and theres quite a lot of unexplained info.

E.g. it states to craft a reflex bow. When googling median xl crafting there is a cube recipe list but no mention of crafting items (crafted items are items with orange text right?)

In the milestones section it states
"Get Cain armor and all the early game runewords in act1.
"el" armor | "nef" staff | "eth" belt | "ith" boots | "ral" helm | "tal" reflex bow (gamble bow base at lvl 17 → oil of renewal → jewel for socket)."

What is "Cain armor"?
Why should i get cain armor if i should also get "("el" armor)" ?
Why would i want a nef staff if i am a bowzon?
Are all these runewords, e.g. i need a grey item, or do i put these runes in any item with a socket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I haven't played in a few years but the MedianXL homepage itself used to have a section with details on every crafting recipe, challenge, unique item etc.

Crafting in this mod is (or was, when I last played) a strictly endgame affair: you got shrines as random drops starting in late Nightmare/Hell, and you cubed them with the item type in question. So like an Eerie Reflex Bow is created by cubing a Reflex Bow with an Eerie Shrine.

The homepage also has runeword info, IIRC Nef staves have a teleport skill on them so everyone wants one.