Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Willo567 posted:

Wait, when was the Darius collection announced for an English release?

I don't know when it was announced, but I do know you can even preorder them from one of those limited print run companies:
Darius Cozmic Collection Console Edition
Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade Edition
(there's also PS4 versions of those on the same site)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Willo567 posted:

Wait, when was the Darius collection announced for an English release?

Late last year/early this year? They patched the Japanese version with the English localisation months ago, but because the international version is tied up with one of those limited-run publishers, the digital release is being held back until they ship out all their orders (which was supposed to have happened by now but is still pending).

It's actually two collections, one with the arcade games and one with the console games/ports, you can still order the physical copies online: https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/collections/all?page=2

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Finally beat Mario and Luigi Paper Jam, even completed all of the expert challenges too! I don't think there's a single M&L game that I disliked. I kind of wish there were more to play but there's always hard mode Dream Team to go through at least.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Congrats on getting through them all. It was a great series. Dream Team hard mode does not mess around so get ready for that.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Any recommendations for N3DSXL grips for the massively handed? The end goal of my corona tinkering is to put one in a Wii U gamepad shell, but I'd like to play it without my hands going numb before I get confident enough with soldering to risk my 3DS.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Some Goon posted:

Any recommendations for N3DSXL grips for the massively handed? The end goal of my corona tinkering is to put one in a Wii U gamepad shell, but I'd like to play it without my hands going numb before I get confident enough with soldering to risk my 3DS.

Do they make the NERF shell for the N3DSX? I had that on my old 3DSXL and it was perfect. No goofy side wings, and you could throw it at the wall and it wouldn’t break.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just found out there’s a kick rear end Majora’s Mask 3D restoration patch that returns some of the better features of the N64 version, adds QoL improvements and even fixes some bugs.

https://restoration.zora.re/

Obviously it requires homebrew but it looks very promising and my next playthrough will be with this patch.

Edit: Just gave it a try and it seems to work perfectly. Just the extra button shortcuts make it worth it. Highly recommended.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 5, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sorry for the double post but are there any good replacement shells for a New 3DS XL? The finish is flaking off the bottom of mine from years of use and the top part has dents and scuffs on it.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 12, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd like to know as well, I damaged the bottom of mine by removing it too often.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I dunno about the top but Nintendo sells the battery covers, although I don't think they have many colors left. I've seen them on AliExpress too.

Edit: Nevermind, I hadn't looked in a while but it looks like Nintendo has removed the 3DS parts section as well. Amazon batteries from here on in it looks like.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 13, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They're still on AliExpress, $3.80 for a black one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000048731476.html

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I asked back in the Switch Thread but didn't get an answer, whereas this thread is actually really prompt about these sort of things.

I'd like to get Steamworld Heist, but I wonder if I should get on my Switch or my 3DS. Is the touchscreen used in anyway? Also keep in mind that my 3DS is truly portable since I actually take it out of the house. Essentially, which version is the preferred one?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I asked back in the Switch Thread but didn't get an answer, whereas this thread is actually really prompt about these sort of things.

I'd like to get Steamworld Heist, but I wonder if I should get on my Switch or my 3DS. Is the touchscreen used in anyway? Also keep in mind that my 3DS is truly portable since I actually take it out of the house. Essentially, which version is the preferred one?

You do you, but it's fully featured on the 3DS. The bottom screen supports an always-on-screen map, and you can switch weapons on there, but it's perfectly playable without

Looks great in 3D

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

repiv posted:

They're still on AliExpress, $3.80 for a black one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000048731476.html

Anyone try this? That looks great.

gently caress it, I’ll take the gamble at that price and report back when I eventually install it. $22 isn’t bad for a full housing.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 13, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There isn't really a physical modding scene for 3DS yet like there is for GB/GBA so I'm betting the AliExpress stuff is probably official Nintendo parts. I'm looking forward to your report back.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

They're both perfectly serviceable and I personally don't think either is better than the other, but I do think it lies almost solely on the way you use the consoles. I get almost everything on my Switch even when my 3DS is right there if I see myself enjoying it on the TV at any time. If I want something to be truly portable only, then it's 3DS. I don't use my Switch thinking of it as being portable to take out of the house, but portable in that I can play it around the house and then plop it at a TV when I want to.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d get things on Switch always since I personally find playing things on 3DS for too long to cramp my hands, while the Switch is comfortable both portably and when I’m using my pro controller at home.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
if i'm playing in bed and i space out for a second and drop it on my face, i'd rather it be the 3ds than the switch

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d rather it be the Switch for me. Larger flatter surface. 3DS on my face could so some damage with all those corners.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I got Steamworld 2 on my switch and it as real good but yeah I’d rather the portability on this one. I actually have pretty small hands and one console is just as comfy as the other.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’m one of those weirdos with a hard-on for all things 3D. Any and every game that I get in 3D the better.

This includes Virtual Boy.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The White Dragon posted:

if i'm playing in bed and i space out for a second and drop it on my face, i'd rather it be the 3ds than the switch

switch is nice because i can prop it up on my chest and move my arms around some with the joycons, laying back holding the 3ds tends to pinch something in my elbows and put my hands to sleep over time

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Image & Form are indie sweethearts on the 3DS, they always maximize the bells and whistles of the platform

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fly Ricky posted:

I’m one of those weirdos with a hard-on for all things 3D. Any and every game that I get in 3D the better.

This includes Virtual Boy.

I hope someone’s working on a VB emulator for 3DS since Nintendo missed the perfect opportunity themselves.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

A couple people have worked on one but I don't think they ever got to good enough, nor do I think they're still in development.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope someone’s working on a VB emulator for 3DS since Nintendo missed the perfect opportunity themselves.

It will come out on LABO 😞

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spellman posted:

It will come out on LABO 😞

I'd seriously be down for that.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Physical copies of Dragon Quest 7 and, especially, 8 are really expensive. :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always figured that 8 would get expensive eventually. It had a smaller print run and not as much fanfare as the 7 remake. Didn't expect them to be inflating in price already. 7's eBay prices aren't absurd yet.

I'd try to find it at some local stores if you have them. The prices might not have been updated.

Don't look at the prices for the DS games.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ryuga Death posted:

Physical copies of Dragon Quest 7 and, especially, 8 are really expensive. :(

Really? 8's the one I see in-store used all the time. This is in Europe however.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I got 8 for like $40 when GameStop was doing b2g2 like, five months ago, though with all their used game sales they're probably out, and it came in a generic case if that matters to you.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Are DS games widely faked like GBA games? I’ve been itching to play Mario 64 for a while now and it seems like the DS version is the easiest route.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah, it might be even worse actually

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
DS Mario 64 also has a super annoying control scheme.

If you want analog control you're using the touch screen or a 3DS, and holding down run charges a sprint in the least useful new feature ever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Interestingly, someone JUST recompiled the N64 source code of Super Mario 64 to run on Homebrewed 3DS.
I just tried it and it looks and plays amazingly on my n3DS

https://gofile.io/d/yRama3

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Really? 8's the one I see in-store used all the time. This is in Europe however.

EU supply is usually quite different from US stock. you guys have like $10 solatorobo still in box but a US cart costs 120+ used

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Interestingly, someone JUST recompiled the N64 source code of Super Mario 64 to run on Homebrewed 3DS.
I just tried it and it looks and plays amazingly on my n3DS

https://gofile.io/d/yRama3

whoa, that rules

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Nice, does it really run well? I looked up a gameplay video and the framerate seems kind of choppy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rock My Socks! posted:

Nice, does it really run well? I looked up a gameplay video and the framerate seems kind of choppy.

Runs very well on a n3DSxl from the short time I’ve played it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I’ve been out of the 3DS homebrew scene for years now. Do you just drop the file into the sd card’s root?