Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Slim Pickens posted:

They can't control state elections though, can they? If California says "gently caress you" and has an election, Pelosi wins her seat again.

This just adds more unintended consequences if the states insist on holding elections on a patchwork basis, what happens if Pelosi is reelected or states allocate electors etc. The system still grinds to a halt while everything works its way through courts. This would be a worst case scenario with COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
https://twitter.com/Cary_Elwes/status/1288904614310367232?s=19

Usual caveats about reading the replies are in force but this one is pretty good:

https://twitter.com/CharlesDAHammer/status/1288915099034542080?s=19

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I think stuff like LegalEagle's video explaining what the constitution/law says will happen is a very distinctly moot point. If Donnie gets his way enough to start delaying elections then the law and the courts mean somewhere less than something you'd wipe your rear end with.

Whether that's an argument for it being more or less likely with a greater or lesser chance of success is separate from the above point. I'm just not a fan of so much reliance on the idea of "but look what the paper says!" being what stands between Trump's desires and their implementation. People are what will prevent or allow what he wants in this hypothetical, not words, and that outcome is not set in stone because we haven't blown through those guard rails as a nation before.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bird food bathtub posted:

If Donnie gets his way enough to start delaying elections then the law and the courts mean somewhere less than something you'd wipe your rear end with.

"If" is doing a helluva lot of heavy lifting in this sentence. Way more than it should ever have to do.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Lmao

Trump is doing another press conference. He's said the word plasma about 16 times.

He pronounces it "plos-ma."

He also calles Remdesivir, Remdasavar.

He also again said "ind-ust-trees."

Aside from that it's full of all the normal horse poo poo.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/JHWeissmann/sta...ber%3D1271pti15

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

What, Obama's speeches being a lot better than his actions?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I can't speak for his political timing, but his comedic timing is excellent. You will laugh! You will cry! In that order!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

What's insane about this is not only is it horrific and malicious, but it's so loving stupid politically! Michigan was one of the hardest hit states early on, is (Or was) a crucial swing state, and even has one of the very few potential GOP Senate pickups against Gary "Most Boring Man Alive" Peters. A robust national effort would have given Trump a chance to actually loving lead, and give an actual reason to vote for his administration. Instead they abrogate all responsibility and somehow forgot Trump is the loving President, of course everyone's going to blame him when poo poo goes sideways!

getting ground up in the world's slowest and dullest woodchipper would be too good for these evil, incompetent clowns

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

We would have President Pelosi. It falls to the succession order in this particular instance. She's an elected official.

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN OF POLLING

The entire house of representatives' terms end on Jan 3

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the administrations entire response has been to reward states with governors that praised Trump lmao

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
well the presser was insane, it looks like if trump loses the election he is just going to take it to the supreme court and dispute it

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

You can really see that line of bronzer in this shot.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

well the presser was insane, it looks like if trump loses the election he is just going to take it to the supreme court and dispute it

It worked in 2000, the democrats have more of a spine than in 2000 but LOL HELLWORLD 2020

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Basketball's back y'all

https://twitter.com/TaylorRooks/status/1288968061454884866

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

ElMaligno posted:

It worked in 2000, the democrats have more of a spine than in 2000 but LOL HELLWORLD 2020

If it comes down to a single state deciding the election then yeah, I could see it happening all over again if it's a small margin of votes giving it one way or the other. But if not, lol.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

Enjoy reading about her: https://www.advocate.com/politics/2020/3/11/antigay-reality-star-pardoned-trump-challenges-rep-john-lewis

She's running for John Lewis's seat, which is currently a D+34 seat, but it's still funny that Donnie pardoned her.

So does that mean that Barrington Martin II is now the Democratic ticket for 5th district? or does the anti-gay reality tv star just fall into John Lewis' seat because John Lewis died before the election?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

orange juche posted:

So does that mean that Barrington Martin II is now the Democratic ticket for 5th district? or does the anti-gay reality tv star just fall into John Lewis' seat because John Lewis died before the election?

Here are the details: https://www.wkrn.com/news/special-election-set-for-september-to-fill-john-lewiss-seat/ https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/18/politics/georgia-5th-congressional-district-vacant-seat-john-lewis/index.html

Basically, an intra-democrat discussion picks the interim candidate for the special election on 9/29 (term lasts until January) and the November general (normal term). It's because Lewis already won his primary, so state law kicks the decision to the state party, rather than defaulting to nominating the runner-up.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

orange juche posted:

last I saw the Dems were trying to get someone else appointed to the ballot, and not Barrington Martin

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

AOC's amendment to stop the US Army from recruiting people on twitch failed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

AOC's amendment to stop the US Army from recruiting people on twitch failed.

The army actually got slapped by twitch for fake give away a so are shut down. The navy is still going though!

https://twitter.com/jordanuhl/status/1288887757075623936?s=21

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Navy e-sports is more exclusive than the seals? Heh.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

not caring here posted:

Navy e-sports is more exclusive than the seals? Heh.

It takes a lifetime of training to be a pro gamer. It only takes a few months to be a SEAL. Gamers are the real heroes.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 31, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

2 GOP members yielded their time to a Dem who helped vote down AOC's amendment lmao.

Also, sailors on the HW Bush gettin sick.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/george-h-w-bush-carrier-sailors-coronavirus

Light on details as they aren't releasing much info.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

It takes a lifetime of training to be a pro gamers. It only takes a few months to be a SEAL. Gamers are the real heroes.

Just thinking about those forthcoming book titles:

No Easy Noscopes: A Naval Special Gaming Operator’s Story
In The Match Lobby with Heroes: My Time as a Naval Esports Warrior
[USN] SoldierStomper420-6-Niner: A Story of Life, Death and Redemption in Fortnight
No Higher Achievement to Unlock: Patriotism and Valor on America’s Virtual Battlefields
Killstreak: How I Beat Chris Kyle’s KDR

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

American gamer will be such a good propoganda movie

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

The army actually got slapped by twitch for fake give away a so are shut down. The navy is still going though!

https://twitter.com/jordanuhl/status/1288887757075623936?s=21

The Navy 100% has lots of jobs where you'll stay up all night staring at a screen that they'll be happy to put you in

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fallom posted:

The Navy 100% has lots of jobs where you'll stay up all night staring at a screen that they'll be happy to put you in

Isn't saying stuff like that recruiter 101?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I didn't know branches other than the army are doing it. I guess I should have assumed that

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

They're not going to do anything to stop him, and if he did delay the elections they'd go along with it

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Bored As gently caress posted:

Lmao

Trump is doing another press conference. He's said the word plasma about 16 times.

He pronounces it "plos-ma."

He also calles Remdesivir, Remdasavar.

He also again said "ind-ust-trees."

Aside from that it's full of all the normal horse poo poo.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1085205226481537026

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Somebody mentioned up above "don't underestimate the evil creativity we are going to see from these people in the next couple of months"

I am sorry to dump this wall of text here, but it's an interesting twitter thread by Seth Abramson, and I would appreciate seeing your thoughts on it.

Gist of it is, what if Trump *announces* that he can, and will, change the date of the election, and even though it holds no legal weight, it convinces the chud army to stay home and not vote?

quote:

1/ Autocracies aren't born in rule of law. They're not even primarily born in violence. Rather they arise *despite* rule of law—often on the strength of a benighted populism, in fact just the sort of populist movement Trump is building now over false fears of a "rigged" election.
2/ The question isn't whether Trump has legal authority to move Election Day and thereby extend his presidency—he doesn't—but a different question: what happens if he just declares that he *does* have this power? And what if he can do so with a false *veneer* of legal legitimacy?
3/ By October 31, Trump's decision not to combat COVID-19 (indeed to worsen the pandemic with every one of his words, actions, and decisions not to act), coupled with an incipient flu season, is likely to send America's COVID-19 data—infections, deaths—into its horrifying nadir.
4/ Meanwhile, Trump has put a crony who's likely a witness in an ongoing federal criminal probe—a man who's a peer of perjurers (and worse) Michael Cohen, Elliott Broidy and Gordon Sondland—in charge of the United States Postal Service. Already, this crony is destroying the USPS.
5/ If, on October 30, COVID-19 is cresting—as it likely will be—and the USPS is less able to deliver mail properly than at any point in recent history, as seems likely (and on Trump's end intentional), Trump's self-manufactured "case" for a national emergency will be at its apex.
6/ Today, Mike Pompeo told us Trump lackey Barr—who has never refused the president anything, who appears to be a Trump co-conspirator in the Ukraine scandal, and who has already shown a penchant for violating the law—gets to decide if Trump can announce a change in Election Day.
7/ Note that each time I use the anodyne euphemism "change in Election Day," what I'm describing is in fact apocalyptic—an artificial extension of the Trump presidency corresponding with the end of American democracy and the beginning of Trump's reign as America's first autocrat.
8/ Barr has already instructed OLC (the Office of Legal Counsel) to produce opinions that violate all existing law (for that matter, we saw that during the prior GOP administration, Bush's, as to torture). Barr can get the OLC to crush a CIA whistleblower—or change Election Day.
9/ I ask anyone reading this to simply play out the following hypothetical—the one I offer in the next tweet—which is "hypothetical" only inasmuch as it takes everything we know about Trump, Pompeo, Barr, COVID-19, and the USPS *right now* and projects it 90 days into the future:
10/ On October 30, Trump announces, with an OLC opinion "granting" him this power in hand, that he is moving the 2020 presidential election 120 days, after which time he will review the nation's ability to safely and securely conduct an election. He announces it via tweet and TV.
11/ Understand that this would be illegal—and wouldn't change election day. But that wouldn't be the point. The point would be to *convince Trump voters not to vote*.
You may have to read the preceding sentence multiple times—it's counterintuitive unless you're a metamodernist.
12/ This thread isn't on metamodernism. All you need to know is that on the day in June 2015 Trump announced his candidacy, I published a HuffPost essay declaring that what made Trump dangerous was his ability to manipulate reality (in a way theorists connect to "metamodernism").
13/ The way to win an unwinnable election, using the sort of powerful reframing of events a certain way of thinking Trump instinctively (not intelligently or responsibly) employs, is not to turn out your voters... but *declare the election invalid once your voters don't show up*.
14/ The purpose of the pre-election Trump announcement I am hypothesizing here would not be to help Trump *win* the 2020 election, but to convince so many Trump voters *not to vote* that the results of the election favor Biden by *so much* the election looks wholly illegitimate.
15/ Imagine a scenario in which, with 3 branches of government—executive, judicial, legislative—you have the executive branch declaring the election was moved, the judicial branch (as yet) silent, and the legislative branch in chaos because no one in the GOP knows what to say/do.
16/ By convincing his voters to stay home—because he's "moved the election"—Trump will have caused every GOP member of Congress to *lose their reelection*, *forcing* them to back his play and say that the election was delayed and therefore Biden didn't actually win on November 3.
17/ The result: an executive branch that says the election was invalid; half the legislative branch (the GOP half) saying the election was invalid; election results that *look* invalid (as Biden has won by 50+ points); and a judicial branch that hasn't—and can't—say anything yet.
18/ In that circumstance, what does "rule of law" even mean? You have a separation of powers issue—a conflict between branches of government—that the Supreme Court *must* hear, and because it's the most complex case ever heard by SCOTUS in US history, it's impossible to expedite.
19/ The mere fact that Trump would have enacted this constitutional crisis just 96 hours pre-election means SCOTUS *can't* speak on it pre-election, and the complexity of the case would throw into chaos *all* state election deadlines. Which is basically the point of Trump's plot.
20/ All Trump needs in this scenario is (a) SCOTUS to move at its usual glacial pace, and (b) GOP-run states (states with GOP secretaries of state running their elections) to *refuse to certify election results* or *choose electors* until the Supreme Court has acted on the issue.
21/ I'm not even sure *Trump* would be the plaintiff in this case—as he and his GOP allies in Congress (and GOP secretaries of state) would so adamantly declare the election results invalid they might wait to make the *Democrats* sue in federal court, making them look desperate.
22/ And how magnanimous Trump will be! He and his GOP allies will offer to *negotiate* with Democrats in lieu of them filing a federal suit. Trump will say, "We have to wait until this invisible plague is under control. That's *all* anyone is asking here." It'll sound persuasive!
23/ Know what'll make it *more* persuasive? Election results so insane-looking—Biden 82%, Trump 15%—they'll make Egypt's el-Sisi blush. Biden will be half-inclined to *agree* with Trump on a do-over—knowing his term as an "illegitimate monarch" may be marked by historic violence.
24/ Right now I need everyone in media; everyone on "legal Twitter"; everyone who's a professional political analyst to comment on this thread—or on your own feeds, it doesn't matter—explaining why this Trump plan wouldn't work. Why it isn't *exactly* what he's setting us up for.
25/ Understand that I didn't develop this thread out of some fever dream. All I did was take statements and actions by Trump, Barr, and Pompeo; the current status of COVID-19 and the USPS (and who controls each); and the way of thinking Trump has exhibited *since June 2015*. /end
PS/ I understand—and empathize with, as a lawyer—those who reply, "Nah, he ceases to be POTUS on January 20th at noon."

Again, that's the view that *law* determines if a coup is successful, not the brute force of populism and logistics—the logic undergirding Trump's actions now.
PS2/ In the scenario I've described, yes, the law would suggest Biden—having won the election 82% to 15%; with less than 270 electoral votes; and with all GOP politicians and all GOP secretaries of state and most GOP voters saying he won a fake election—is the president. So what?
PS3/ What would in mean—in that scenario—for someone to be "president"? And that's the question the five ultra-conservative justices of the Supreme Court would have to decide, probably on a timeline so glacial it couldn't be concluded effectively until early January 2021 at best.
PS4/ More importantly, that's the question *Democrats* would have to decide—and would probably be deciding in the midst of historic Republican protests and threats of violence all across the country. Would *Democrats* consider it their best move to accept that election "victory"?
PS5/ We learned in January '20 that impeachments are about politics, not law—though they're supposed to adhere to rule of law. In January '21 we may learn *elections* are *also* about politics, not law. What happens if Dems must allow a do-over to preserve the peace of our Union?
NOTE/ This scenario works for Trump even if early voting depresses Biden's win to (say) 62% to 36%. It may even work without Barr aboard. It may work if the "don't vote" effort is homegrown, inspired and supported by Trump but not demanded by him. The premise itself is the thing.
NOTE2/ The solution here is for America to publicly discuss this scenario *now*—and invalidate it. GOP politicians must agree to abide by the election results even if Trump convinces his voters not to show up. Barr must state clearly that Trump cannot legally "move" election day.
NOTE3/ Constitutional law experts must play out how SCOTUS would act. Election law experts must do scenario-planning on how misconduct by GOP secretaries of state could be thwarted. Dems must educate Republicans on who's POTUS on January 20 if SCOTUS is still working on a ruling.
NOTE4/ Democrats must announce now that there'll be no "do-over" election—and anyone who opts not to vote is making a decision they must *live by*. Emergency assistance must be provided to USPS. Social media should deem Trump tweets on moving election day "election interference."
NOTE5/ It's amazing to see responses saying "the military wouldn't allow it" or "Pelosi would be POTUS." Again, this sort of coup happens through *politics, rhetoric, and the reframing of reality with GOP pol/voter support*—it has nothing to do with law, violence or the military.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ded posted:

You can really see that line of bronzer in this shot.

Just :lol: if this is the thing which allows the GOP to bail on Trump if things don't turn around by Labor Day.

"You did all kinds of horrendous poo poo in your time but canceling our election, :laffo:, that's where you crossed the line."

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The biggest thing preventing a coup is that it would be a ton of work. Not going to happen with this guy imo

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Best Friends posted:

The biggest thing preventing a coup is that it would be a ton of work. Not going to happen with this guy imo

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Best Friends posted:

There are so many other more eager, willing, and competent fascists out there. All Trump has done is let them know it's their time to Heil shine.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Best Friends posted:

Seriously it's this. The man cannot form a coherent sentence structure, let alone plot a massive coup d'etat and install a autocratic regime.

I don't know why people keep writing 2nd American Revolution fanfics, it's not going to happen!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It's been obvious ever since covid got serious that the results of the election will be contested and seen as illegitimate by historically large numbers of people.

But yeah, obviously, Joe Biden is not a threat to anyone in a position to effect a coup, Trump will leave when the generals tell him to.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Just give Donny an easy way out of the presidency without looking like a loser, and he'd happily leave. It's been clear since day 1 that he hated the job, he just wants people to cheer for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Best Friends posted:

OTOH, becoming president also take a ton of work, and he somehow managed to stumble into that.