Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
ive had sex with lots of demons and not had the rona yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You have to have sex with the demons from behind or through a hole in a wall.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

blunt posted:

Some people put out a white paper about a theoretical vaccine not endorsed by any major organisation or institution. If you're trying to suggest that that's the same as the vaccines that are in clinical trials atm then you're doing it in bad faith.

There's a woman who says that you get Covid-19 from having sex with demons too, but we don't take her seriously either.

I'm not doing anything. I was asking what it was. If the answer is nothing at all then fine.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cerv posted:

it was the overground. the real goddamnedtwisto would never get those mixed up who are you

he posted a tweet with a map that said "Isle of Dog's" the other day

I'm worried :ohdear:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Frankly I'm annoyed that the isle of dogs does not appear to be infested with angry canines.

And it's not even an island either. It's a peninsula. loving false advertising.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's pronounced I Love Dogs, the whole peninsula is a Battersea meme.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

They just locked down some of the north. jon snow where are you

thats a game of thrones thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

communism bitch posted:

gently caress everything. Just set up a giant meat grinder in Piccadilly Circus and throw all 70 million of us into it. I'll go first. It'll be less miserable than this slow and agonising death of the soul.

I have a better idea. Let's put all the Tories in first, blue, red or yellow. Then we stop.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Looks like the ban includes meeting in gardens too.
Apparently it's still fine to go to the pub "if you stick to your household".

Please go out but make sure you don't go out.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
And has just been pointed out via the magic of trending topics, this mini-lockdown has come right before Eid too and as others have said, imagine announcing a lockdown on the 23rd December

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pls economy?

NO INTERACTION! ONLY ECONOMY.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

And has just been pointed out via the magic of trending topics, this mini-lockdown has come right before Eid too and as others have said, imagine announcing a lockdown on the 23rd December

everythings shut over christmas anyway

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

everythings shut over christmas anyway

yes, but people gather at Christmas. Now imagine being told you can't

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Xemloth posted:

What if you give Wetherspoons a tenner every time you meet up in the garden?

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

stev posted:

What if you give Wetherspoons a tenner every time you meet up in the garden?

If it's Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday you only have to give them a fiver

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

imagine announcing a lockdown on the 23rd December
We can but hope

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yes, but people gather at Christmas. Now imagine being told you can't

have you met my family?

I feel like you might say the same thing.

but yeah. Im being daft.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

OwlFancier posted:

Frankly I'm annoyed that the isle of dogs does not appear to be infested with angry canines.

Wes Anderson was similarly diapointed but made a film about an better island of dogs anyway.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

This years must have toy, ALIVE PARENTS!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/woodstockjag/status/1288965398692532224

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't that just what they've been doing all the time though? Essentially running the country on the basis that they're the government and nobody is going to tell them otherwise?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Whatever you do, don't.

But also...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Xemloth posted:

well yeah, if going to the pub is bad then that means the government hosed up

I was gonna post that pic of johnson and gove holding pints in the air on PUB VICTORY DAY but weirdly I can't seem to find it anywhere :thunk:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Oman for one has put a total lockdown in specifically because it is Eid. The last Eid at the end of Ramadan saw an explosion in cases so they're going to be extremely strict with this one.

There seems to be an idea I have seen a lot of in comments (mostly twitter and 'below the line') that muslims are allowed to 'not lockdown' but The Muslim Council of GB announced stopping of all congregational activities in mosques BEFORE the Church of England did back in March. Muslim countries are also doing (or attempting anyway - Egypt it's always a bit difficult to get people to stop doing stuff) lockdowns - hajj this year is just 10000 pilgrims instead of the usual couple of million. And they're all carefully socially distanced round the kaaba.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 31, 2020

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

baka kaba posted:

I was gonna post that pic of johnson and gove holding pints in the air on PUB VICTORY DAY but weirdly I can't seem to find it anywhere :thunk:

It needs editing to be in front of the "mission accomplished" banner

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Had you watched the doc I posted the other day you'd have heard (in angry Cockney) the reason why it (probably*) got its name multiple times.

For those unaccountably not doing everything I tell them to immediately, here's the link again.

I'll also declare my interest here because I was hoping to get honest reactions to it without people knowing this, but Lynn was my sister's best friend at school and actually lived with my family for a while, and still called my mother "mum" until the day she died as a result. Also because the IoD is a bit banjo-playing even by east end standards, she's also the cousin of one of my best friends, another of her cousins is married to my ex, and yet another of her cousins is married to my niece's sister-in-law. I knew she'd shot the documentary several years ago but it languished for ages before lockdown made C4 so desperate for content they finally showed it. It's a really good little slice-of-life doc of the kind that they don't really make any more - there's a little bit of povvo-gawking about it but it's mostly sympathetic.

If you're even vaguely interested in the weird mixture of pride, bitterness, shame and love that I use when talking about this weird little island** this covers a pretty big chunk of it, and it's surprising just how little growing up around here has changed.

Also if you think that Brendan is basically me several decades ago, you really wouldn't be that far off the mark.

And if you think getting details wrong but not really caring about it is off-brand for me then you've not been paying attention, lol

* In fact the story about it being used as kennels for "the King's dogs" - that king being anyone from Edward I to Charles II, depending on the telling - has almost no actual backing - there's no record of kennels in any of the accounts of the royal households (and they noted considerably less important expenditures and holdings), and the name first appears not long after Dutch engineers built a wall (see below) and drained the area for farmland at the request of the Bishop of Stepney, and some suggest that the name of the area around Chapel House Street - the only high-and-dry area and the location of their base - was "Dutch Island" or "Dyke Island" and the name has been corrupted from there. Also as Nanny B loudly explains, "Isle of Dogs" isn't actually an "official" location, there's Millwall in the west and Cubitt Town in the east, people would say they came from one of the other really up until the 1970s when council houses filled in the gaps between them.
** The Isle of Dogs *is* surrounded by water - South Dock connects to the Thames at both ends, at the Impounding Dock and pumping station at the west and the Blue Bridge and main locks at the east, which also represent the original line of the City Canal. Prior to this the Poplar Gut - a breach opened up shortly after the construction of the river walls in the late 15th century and still visible today in the awkward shape of the western edge of Canary Wharf and the weird narrowing of the roads in the area - restored most of the northern quarter of the Island to the marshes it had been before. Even if you want to go with the technically-true point that the Impounding Dock is only actually connected to South Dock by the pumping station, you can also point out that technically the Limehouse Cut, Bow Back Rivers and the River Lea connect to the Thames either side of the Island meaning it's still surrounded by water and has also now annexed Poplar, something neither side would be much happy with.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I watched the documentary. It was all a bit narrative-y, probably more than I like in my documentaries.
Also, aside than some of the filler shots, the Bengali/Somali community was severely underrepresented. I know the Isle skews slightly more White/Black than the borough as a whole and the theme of the documentary was "it's a community in its own right", but eh, it peeved me.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
If there's a new 'left' political party, how do we keep out the cranks who are about 80% 'left thinking' re economics, social policy etc, but are anti-mask, pro that new sex demon doctor Trump has appointed, and think vaccines are a secret lizard plot to take over humans with 5G implants in body cells or whatever, and think climate change is a hoax capitalist plot (despite the only people who benefit from denying it are big business).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That does raise the interesting point that either the thing about vampires and running water is false, or iain duncan smith has to be very careful when he travels lest he step over a buried water main and explode into ash.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If there's a new 'left' political party, how do we keep out the cranks who are about 80% 'left thinking' re economics, social policy etc, but are anti-mask, pro that new sex demon doctor Trump has appointed, and think vaccines are a secret lizard plot to take over humans with 5G implants in body cells or whatever, and think climate change is a hoax capitalist plot (despite the only people who benefit from denying it are big business).

I mean you can't actively filter them and the press will latch onto them as a means of delegitimizing any party. Mostly you just have to rely on people telling them collectively to shut up and go away, same as with any daft political position.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The cynic in me would like to see the figures reyarding overlap between locked down areas, tory working class areas, and labour working class areas.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

To answer your question Trafford has had pretty high covid rates all the way through.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Encourage them to keep voting Green instead.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

This is 100% pre-emptive cover to blame the second wave (that's already locked in) on Muslim communities

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Hold on, Dyke Island sounds like my sort of place!

Also big Scarfolk Council energy from the government

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Tarnop posted:

This is 100% pre-emptive cover to blame the second wave (that's already locked in) on Muslim communities
Yup. It was happening early on with the lockdown too blaming us for breaking the lockdown with our Islamic meet ups with large families (???)

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I checked in with my manager to see if I'm working today and he sent me a bunch of screengrabs from The Sun and that everyone will be coming in today who was going in anyway (so just us two)

I have plans to go and see a friend I haven't seen for months with a new baby this evening - as I'm still having to go to work and it's on the way home I'm still going to do it after talking with him. It's choose-your-own-Lockdown.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/TracyAnnO/status/1288959183270940680?s=19

Does anyone know what BIM is? Because if she means BLM...

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Don't think it went below 20 last night.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Gonzo McFee posted:

Propoganda of the Bim is a secret anarchist technique, its origins lost in the mists of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think she means the Black Hebrew Israelite groups, but is choosing to abbreviate as Black Israelite Movement.

Whether on purpose or not idk.