Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

:lol:

*boston dynamics releases dishwashing dog robot that can carry 1000 lbs of kids, groceries, and whatever the gently caress*

someone on the internet: "Actually, you'll find that Nintendo's R. O. B. provides a much more immersive experience and furthermore, "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah some people keep claiming that in the Elite Dangerous thread which is nuts since E:D is like the poster child for incredible VR.

Who's saying this?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm going to assume what they mean is its exclusive to the WMR api, not G2 specifically, since there are no other new WMR headsets and most of the old ones are all discontinued. The alternative of it just being the G2 and other WMR sets not working would just be.... weird as hell.

Yeah but Microsoft.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Shine posted:

Who's saying this?
I don't know, I'm not going to go back through a 300 page thread trying to find it but it comes up now and then. I also think that VR is way more expensive and someone defending your purchase isn't that big of a deal to get worked up over.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I haven't seen it on the forums but on various sim boards. It's usually just sunk cost bias from people who have elaborate, janky, and aging sim pit setups, esp. people who like use lovely projectors or plasma TVs as monitors and the like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm going to assume what they mean is its exclusive to the WMR api, not G2 specifically, since there are no other new WMR headsets and most of the old ones are all discontinued. The alternative of it just being the G2 and other WMR sets not working would just be.... weird as hell.

KakerMix posted:

Yeah but Microsoft.

I'd assume some bright spark at Microsoft thought "We can launch with hardware exclusivity initially and REALLY get the sales going on the new WMR headset, just like with the XBox!!"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Found a room in VR chat where you play DOOM

Dual wielding mother fuckers I'm god drat Tommy Vercetti

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
VR Chat just looks like those weird, racist garry's mod servers.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Humble is having a vr sale. Not sure how good the deals are across the board but I picked up sairento for like $16 before tax.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Onward (for Quest) release trailer is well done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPxnMqhePvA

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think it's probably going to be a great game but I think they were going for a Battlefield3-esque reveal trailer feel and I didn't get the vibe of tension from it. Just a cutscene of "we're sneaking up and now a bunch of guys are shooting and now guy with shield and now more shooting". Felt a little disjointed and they could have built it up much better. I'd say that I feel stupid critiquing a video game trailer but the BF3 trailer was just so well done (IMO) that I tend to compare a lot of things to it :ohdear:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 30, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Parallelwoody posted:

Humble is having a vr sale. Not sure how good the deals are across the board but I picked up sairento for like $16 before tax.

Psychonauts VR is also in the current Double Fine bundle.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

Psychonauts VR is also in the current Double Fine bundle.

Which I recommend it!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does Vader Immortal let you fight real human(oid) opponents later on or is it training droids all the way down? Also do episodes 2 and 3 add anything significant over 1 or just more combos of droids-'n'-balls.

I'm vaguely aware there's a single-player story but right now I'm just having a ton of fun in the dojo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whats the best no hassle headphone solution for the Rift S? I'm looking at the Bionic mantis PSVR headphones, which pretty much look like what I want but it looks like a ton of extra cable and yuck that white is gonna clash with it. I hate using earbuds in VR and ote headphones get weighty and hot imo.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pierson posted:

Does Vader Immortal let you fight real human(oid) opponents later on or is it training droids all the way down? Also do episodes 2 and 3 add anything significant over 1 or just more combos of droids-'n'-balls.

I'm vaguely aware there's a single-player story but right now I'm just having a ton of fun in the dojo.

They have stormtroopers, yep.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Parallelwoody posted:

Anything good in here for a first timer? Think I’ll grab superhot and gorn, those look fun. Is that Star Trek bridge thing multi only?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Pierson posted:

2 and 3 dojo's add some force powers into the mix as well

Stan Taylor posted:

Anything good in here for a first timer? Think I’ll grab superhot and gorn, those look fun. Is that Star Trek bridge thing multi only?

Superhot is an all time classic in VR, the Star Trek game can technically be played single player, and you can give commands to AI teamates but you really miss out on all the fun of people scrambling around screwing up and going into a panic that you get in multiplayer which is really what its made for.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 30, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Whats the best no hassle headphone solution for the Rift S? I'm looking at the Bionic mantis PSVR headphones, which pretty much look like what I want but it looks like a ton of extra cable and yuck that white is gonna clash with it. I hate using earbuds in VR and ote headphones get weighty and hot imo.

Those are what I use, and they sound pretty good. They don't match, but you can't see yourself with it on and you're gonna look like a dork regardless.

E: the cable on them is pretty short and doesn't get in the way at all

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

veni veni veni posted:

I use the bionic mantis ones on the rift s. They work well once on, but the Rift S strap is wider than the psvr strap and it's a bit of a pain to get them on. If you have a very small head you might not be able to tighten the strap sufficiently, because of the taper.
The cable is easily routed along the straps, it's never been an issue for me.

As for looks, you'll look like an idiot with the HMD on anyway, so this makes no difference. And when off, just put the HMD in a drawer or something and you won't have to look at the horror of something that is black and also white.

E: f,b.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Reverb G2 exclusivity kind of sort of makes sense. Flight simulators are kind of garbage for VR because you spend a lot of time staring at tiny labels, numbers on readouts etc designed for IRL visual acuity. Yeah you can lean in with a first gen VR headset but that's not how the cockpit was designed. G2 flight Sim will do a lot to improve consumer mindset that it's worth paying extra for the increased visual acuity

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

The star trek game is fun but I wouldn't really recommend it single player. You don't need a full crew though. I haven't played it myself but I've heard good things about eleven table tennis. Gorn is a good time, and also heard good things about Talos and the serious Sam games.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 31, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wrong thread

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hadlock posted:

Looks like SN5 did their static fire test, finally, they had two attempts earlier this week post-hurricane, but were aborted

I think they got all the diagnostic data from SN4 before it blew up, so we might(?) see SN5 attempt a hop here before the weekend is over and then move on to SN6 and/or directly to SN8 which would presumably be a 20km hop after however much testing

I think SN8 uses a more favorable stainless steel blend, which has less inclusions/air pockets when welding in high humidity coastal areas and is probably more representative of a final product

Stainless steel is cool and all but if these new "SN8" headsets are exploding? That seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Hadlock posted:

Wrong thread

Are you sure?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Those are what I use, and they sound pretty good. They don't match, but you can't see yourself with it on and you're gonna look like a dork regardless.

Word, thanks.

Noticed Fallout 4, Doom VFR, and Skyrim are cheap in that bundle. Definitely want to grab those three.

Do FO4 and Doom play nice with the Rift now? I noticed it's still not listed as supported on the steam page.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

veni veni veni posted:

Word, thanks.

Noticed Fallout 4, Doom VFR, and Skyrim are cheap in that bundle. Definitely want to grab those three.

Do FO4 and Doom play nice with the Rift now? I noticed it's still not listed as supported on the steam page.

I don't know if i'd say FO4 plays nice with any system. :v:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Of the stuff in that list do people have opinions on Fallout 4, Skyrim, Doom, or Zero Calibre? I'm after a big meaty single-player campaign now that I've finished Alyx.

Also is I Expect You To Die as silly and fun as it looks?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Pierson posted:

Of the stuff in that list do people have opinions on Fallout 4, Skyrim, Doom, or Zero Calibre? I'm after a big meaty single-player campaign now that I've finished Alyx.

Also is I Expect You To Die as silly and fun as it looks?

I Expect You To Die is just as silly and fun as it looks. Great game, though depending on how good at puzzle solving you are it can potentially be a bit short, and theres not a ton of replay value.

Of those 4 you listed above I mean, I would say Skyrim is easily going to have the most value if you liked skyrim, if only because of the mountain of mods to improve the VR experience, which makes it play pretty good. That said its still skyrim, if you've played it before, again and again.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'd definitely read a bit about fallout and doom before pulling the trigger. Skyrim is Skyrim and you know what you're getting, just know it's still a half assed VR integration.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/gemisisdev/status/1288530776510799872?s=21

Only theory and conjecture, but with Oculus Connect coming up it seems a likely time to announce such a feature.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Parallelwoody posted:

I'd definitely read a bit about fallout and doom before pulling the trigger. Skyrim is Skyrim and you know what you're getting, just know it's still a half assed VR integration.
Yeah that's what I was half-expecting, but if there are mods to improve the VR features I'll probably check it out. I've never actually finished Skyrim legit.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The VR implementation of Skyrim isn't actually half bad. It was originally released on the PSVR so its pretty well optimized to run well, and with the slew of VR features adding things like holsters, full bodies, menu improvements, etc, it comes across nicely. You'll likely want to play as an archer class though, as bows are easily the most satisfying way to play. Melee attacks are dull as.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah I noticed most of the gameplay mods people recommend were based around spells and archery and throwing your melee weapons like Mjolnir (lol).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

Only theory and conjecture, but with Oculus Connect coming up it seems a likely time to announce such a feature.

I'm not an Android expert but later versions of Android have a much tighter permissions model, this might just be part of upgrading the onboard version of Android on the Quest to the tighter permissions model version of Android

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I’m pretty sure internet means just that. Access to outside networks

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah I’m pretty sure internet means just that. Access to outside networks

You need the INTERNET permission to access local networks too; in spite of the name it doesn't distinguish between local and remote access, just anything that opens a network socket.

That said it's completely possible that this is just another place where they want to harvest usage data so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They're already harvesting data PC-side if you have Link connected. It may be nothing, but it's a feature that's been somewhat anticipated and now that wired Link is mature and with a new HMD coming out, announcing wireless Link seems fairly likely.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Stan Taylor posted:

Maybe me and my friends are just dumb, but we found Star Trek Bridge Crew to be pretty boring and frustrating.

It's been a while, but my main memory of the game was of struggling to figure out what we were supposed to do and how. Every station was a lovely minigame with no explanation and awkwardly implemented controls.

I bought it for like $9 and regretted it.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Pierson posted:

I don't see it recommended a lot but I had an absolute blast with Borderlands 2 VR, including all of the DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know if i'd say FO4 plays nice with any system. :v:

Having played Skyrim on PSVR and thinking it was pretty good other than the limitations of the controllers/blurry visuals, what makes FO4 worse than Skyrim?