Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The best answer is probably the same as usual. Aggressive de-platforming works or it at least seems to. If we could bust up the groups on Facebook and Instagram 90% of their recruitment dries up. That doesn't do much to help the ones that are already in it, but they'll slowly burn out on it and drift away to other things and they'll have a much harder time re-uniting if Trump loses and the narrative has to shift.

It's unlikely that they'll just go back to "normal" but a lot of them will probably happily wander over to believing in regular Illuminati stuff again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean religion generally has been dying for decades, turns out that's also something capitalism is good at :v:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

We are 8 years away from a Qanon president

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think younger generations are also going to be a lot savvier about how social media can melt your mind, like how we know to be cynical about television but boomers never learned that. Qanon seems to recruit from people who are naive in a way that becomes less common as you look at younger and younger people. This specific phenomenon has a limited shelf-life, although the way the internet breaks down consensus reality might always be a problem to some degree.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I asked on knowyourmeme.co, but haven't had any luck yet - does anyone have a way of knowing where the hashtag #whereareallthechildren came from?

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/whereareallthechildren

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the consensus reality problem isn't new to the internet, it's just that historical dominance of mass media meant that the consensus was established from the top down. Which was the same problem but manifesting differently, sure you might have had a consensus reality that you could easily point to, but it wasn't a true one, and it completely ignored marginalized voices of any sort, which is why the same media looks more and more reactionary. It's not, it's more progressive than it has ever been, I think, it's just that it's being eclipsed by actual people talking to each other on social media. You don't need the news to parse reality, remove the bits it deems unsuitable for broadcast or inconvenient to their preferred political vision of the world, and decide what to feed you, you can go on twitter and see actual cops beating the poo poo out of people for fun as it happens, taken by real people who are there.

The old order might seem saner to us, but I think a large part of that is because we were brought up being told that it was sane, and we didn't live through the insane parts being gaslit by it, and even if we did, there wouldn't have been the degree of alternative information sources that we have today to cast how false it was into stark relief.

So I tend to view it not as new media creating a problem but merely highlighting a pre-existing one, one which there is limited popular historical documentation of because, astonishingly, that's also just another form of top down reality establishment. The press were not kind to the civil rights movement and yet it still had a lot of radicals in it. But their experience isn't the one that's made available, theirs isn't the one you hear about.

What I think we're entering is an age where everyone is starting to disconnect from the establishment control of their information, which has always been a thing we needed to do, as a society, and the challenge then becomes creating a self organizing form of information dispersal and verification. Or perhaps reification might be a better word given that you still don't have access to a definitely true concept of reality, only the one you believe to be real. But your perceived form of reality can at least be a useful one.

It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be better, and I think the way politics is shaking out, the younger generations who are acclimated to the platforms and materially harmed the most by the state of the world, are doing a far better job than the older ones. And their percolation into old media is not the driving cause of that, I think. It's the decentralized information networks.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 31, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know—it does really bother me to see a bunch of 20-year-olds who have no idea astrology is fake, but I guess people in the 40s or whatever mostly didn’t understand that it was fake either. Historically speaking, most people have been extraordinarily ignorant and have had no idea what was happening or why. We’re certainly better off having access to documentation of the things that matter to us no matter how well the ben shapiro nazi pipeline might function, because in time young people can develop defenses against it.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

"Conspirituality" was first documented back in 2011:

https://medium.com/@julesevans/conspirituality-the-overlap-between-the-new-age-and-conspiracy-beliefs-c0305eb92185

https://bigthink.com/culture-religion/conspirituality

It could have happened naturally, but it's also extremely possible this was deliberately exploited

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Hey quick question; is there -any- credence (Epstein links, etc) to the "Tom Hanks is a pedophile" thing or is it all q nonsense? Someone I care about is starting to talk about it and I'm afraid it's a tipping point for him.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

It's Kushner and Parscale. It's part of their digital strategy. With the help of Bannon and Stone, probably Joel Zamel, and someone from wikileaks was in there too, possibly even at the coal face. In november 2015, Assange called Clinton a "well connected, sadistic sociopath". Wikileaks didn't just release all the emails, they also specifically highlighted the "spirit cooking" thing.

I don't mean literally writing Q necessarily, but nurturing that universe, massaging the narrative, orchestrating the spread of organically created content, amplifying it in the right places to get it on the right platforms.

2016 showed us their power. They can hack, they can leak, they can create a conspiracy out of nothing, they can amplify it, they can get people to believe it, and they have a network of thousands of bots to amplify them further. They're not working in vaccum, they had decades of conservatives poisoning the well to work with, and an entire republican media ecosystem to draw upon. And if that still doesn't work, they can just literally invent rallies and protests and demonstrations and trick people into going, and then invent things for them to get mad about or whatever so their stories take off. They know exactly what they're doing, making poo poo up to sow chaos. They have succesfully destabilised the very idea of "truth".

We're now 4 years down the track, utterly exhausted from the endless Gish Gallop of disinformation (remember when they straight up changed the language on GOP policy on Ukraine back in the 2016 convention?), and they are doing it again right in front of our eyes.

Looking at this newest wave of Q converts, shows they have what basically amounts to a magic wand - An actual brainwashing, mind controlling, bit of media wizardry, which we know they can target with clinical precision. They don't even have to be full Q converts - they just need people to hesitate over the BLM movement of example, or have lingering doubts about the progressive elites.

They are now almost certainly behind #whereareallthechildren. The giveaway is that they're using the exact same narrative architecture. They've just had a few years to focus group it and refine it. It has all the hallmarks of a slick Cambridge Analytica campaign.

It’s not even just about this movement, or this storyline specifically. This can all fall apart. But they'll be back again in 4 years. Bannon won't stop trying to enact his nationalist agenda. And we know that they have this power. Whether it’s orchestrated or organic, whether they invented Q, produced ‘out or shadows’ directly, or simply created the conditions it which they could emerge naturally - the result is the same. This is deliberate, and in the hands of a government which is actively laying the groundwork to reject election results; and gleefully warming up their own military force to abduct citizens, is extremely dangerous.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Karma Comedian posted:

Hey quick question; is there -any- credence (Epstein links, etc) to the "Tom Hanks is a pedophile" thing or is it all q nonsense? Someone I care about is starting to talk about it and I'm afraid it's a tipping point for him.

All the evidence suggest Tom Hanks being one of the more wholesome people in Hollywood. The Tom Hanks is a Pedo thing seems to grow out of general dislike of people in Hollywood and an early theory by some Q people that covid is an bioengineered virus to take down the elites and Hanks was one of the earliest high profile celebrity cases.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Karma Comedian posted:

Unless there's some other basis of thought for it that I've missed, the only Qanon chatter about Tom Hanks I've seen was:
  • someone comes up with the theory that COVID-19 is spread through tainted adenochrome
  • someone else decides that any remotely famous person who claims to have caught it is outing themselves as part of the cabal, and anyone in "quarantine" is actually under arrest and about to be executed
  • Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson catch it and isolate themselves for a couple weeks
  • Qanoners "confirm" the theory by poring over every letter and pixel they can find of him posting on Instagram about it and deciding that he's panickily trying to signal to the other co-conspirators that he's in trouble and about to die

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Karma Comedian posted:

I wish people would stop asking this, there's literally credible no evidence for any of it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah Tom Hanks was an early high-profile covid case, and the QAnon explanation for our giant-brained president totally loving up the pandemic response and turning the USA into a plague zone was that lockdown is a cover story to keep us all safely inside while the military goes door-to-door arresting people on secret evidence of pedophilia, cannibalism, and treason. And covid is either fake or is caused by poisoned adrenochrome so only child-eaters get it.

You look worried nonono, government deception, biological warfare on the population, martial law, and a military coup are a good thing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The qanon Tom Hanks is a pedo claims massively predate Covid.

https://www.wired.com/story/crying-pedophile-is-the-oldest-propaganda-trick-in-the-book/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The problem with Pizzagate was it was too specific. This one place was doing the bad stuff was easily Debunked. Qanon is vague so anyone can put whatever they want into it.

Also there seems to be a grift opportunity to claim to be Hillary's ex child butcher satanic high priest who found Jesus.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

This is accurate. Sara Rush Ashcraft is a mentally ill woman who claims (among other things) that her father sold her to Tom Hanks as a sex slave when she was very young. This caught on with Qanoners because, why not?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

"Save The Children" popping up in a lot more places: https://www.facebook.com/100039117920766/videos/302729117707683
(this was posted in a fathers group just now, and another friend shared some material this morning from someone one click away from a deep Q album)

Also, a 127 page PDF of all of FBIanons posts: https://paulfurber.net/pdf/fbianon.pdf

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

The problem with Pizzagate was it was too specific. This one place was doing the bad stuff was easily Debunked.

Except not actually, because not only was another guy arrested for making a threatening call to Comet Pizza in which he promised to finish what the other guy started, but the guy who shot up the restaurant only to find no kids still believes it and only concedes that the children must be hidden somewhere else and he should have done more careful recon

twistedmentat posted:

Qanon is vague so anyone can put whatever they want into it.

Also there seems to be a grift opportunity to claim to be Hillary's ex child butcher satanic high priest who found Jesus.

QAnon has also been "debunked" in the same way, Q made specific predictions about arrests on specific dates that didn't happen. They're just all huge morons so when the date passes they just tell each other it happened in secret and the Hillary and Obama openly walking around unarrested are clones to lull the normies, and then Q gives them another date and they forget all about the previous one

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Karma Comedian posted:

There's never credible evidence with anything related to Q

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Abramovic invited Podesta to a spirit cooking dinner
Weiner sent lewd photos to a 15 year old
Bill Clinton went to Epstien's island
Hillary deleted 30,000 emails
Seth Rich was murdered

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They don’t talk about Epstein, do they? I thought the trump connection was too much for them.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They don’t talk about Epstein, do they? I thought the trump connection was too much for them.

There was some kind of "Trump was getting close to him to gather evidence and certainly never took part in anything untoward" stuff for a while.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah Epstein is too obvious a link to ignore. Just a lot of quiet mumbling when Trump comes in.

Trying to pull a "gotcha" with it is a waste of time since the entire thing is inconsistent.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

r/the_donald even independent of Qultists loved to talk about any Clinton/Epstein connections even if Trump was connected in the exact same way. It was pretty hilarious to watch tbh.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Abramovic invited Podesta to a spirit cooking dinner
Weiner sent lewd photos to a 15 year old
Bill Clinton went to Epstien's island
Hillary deleted 30,000 emails
Seth Rich was murdered

ROFL Seth Rich was murdered BEFORE Q mentioned anything about Clinton emails. Try again.

Wtf is a spirit cooking? That's not a real thing.

Weiner was already known to be a creep, anyone could have guessed.

Everyone famous went to Epstein's island.

Q isn't real.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They’re definitely all pedophiles, though. Except Matt Groening.

One thing I notice with q people is that they exclusively imagine children who are like 10 and under as the victims of pedophile celebrities, which hits against the perfect victim fantasy conservatives have. I wonder if they don’t consider teenagers to be victims because they’re not pure enough, having maybe smoked weed or had consensual sex prior to being groomed.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

didn't Q predict the outcome of the midterm elections, but was wildly off and no one cared?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

They also said Hillary would be arrested like 2 years ago

The neat thing about Qanon is that it's unfalsifiable; when the predictions fail, everyone in unison says "the Great Plan has changed, Trump has his reasons! Trust in the plan"

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This always makes me think of the Deadpool line except it's "Be a pedo. Everyone thinks it's a full-time job. Wake up a pedo. Brush your teeth a pedo. Go to work a pedo." Like I bet even pedos once in a while do stuff that doesn't involve child molestation so Epstain giving some scientist a ride to a conference on his jet in the 90s isn't actually proof positive that the scientist a chomo.

That said, Clinton probably is.

But it doesn't mean everyone Epstein ever met is. If some rich guy asks me tomorrow to come with him to his private island I'm not going to ask him if it's a child rape island I'm just going to go to the island and then if I see some child rape I will intervene and call the authorities.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

This always makes me think of the Deadpool line except it's "Be a pedo. Everyone thinks it's a full-time job. Wake up a pedo. Brush your teeth a pedo. Go to work a pedo." Like I bet even pedos once in a while do stuff that doesn't involve child molestation so Epstain giving some scientist a ride to a conference on his jet in the 90s isn't actually proof positive that the scientist a chomo.

That said, Clinton probably is.

But it doesn't mean everyone Epstein ever met is. If some rich guy asks me tomorrow to come with him to his private island I'm not going to ask him if it's a child rape island I'm just going to go to the island and then if I see some child rape I will intervene and call the authorities.

Laurence Krauss is definitely a pedo, though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

thats quite possible they could all be pedos I'm just sayin you need some corroboration.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only one I believe had no idea was Matt Groening, and that’s because the victims who testified about being around him agreed that he was too stupid and nice to have understood what was happening and that he had gross feet. Both of those things seem extremely plausible to me.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

smoobles posted:

They also said Hillary would be arrested like 2 years ago

The neat thing about Qanon is that it's unfalsifiable; when the predictions fail, everyone in unison says "the Great Plan has changed, Trump has his reasons! Trust in the plan"

All the wrong predictions were disinfo to confuse and weaken the Deep State

Got em!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It seems like regularly inviting non pedos to entirely non pedo events at your island could significantly lessen the chances that your island becomes known as pedo island but maybe Epstein never thought of that or just wasn’t worried about it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah just have Pedo Tuesdays but keep the rest of your island time legal and above board

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

It seems like regularly inviting non pedos to entirely non pedo events at your island could significantly lessen the chances that your island becomes known as pedo island but maybe Epstein never thought of that or just wasn’t worried about it.

Seemed like it went on for a while before it became common knowledge, so I guess it was either they kept the pedo stuff on the dl while non-pedos were around, or the non-pedos who knew didn't say anything out of fear they'd be implicated or worse.

It was victims coming forward that brought all this out, right? Not some scientist or business type going to the FBI after a visit?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turns out high society basically runs on the idea that it doesn't matter what horrible poo poo your rich mates do, you don't let on because you're probably doing even worse poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I get the sense that there’s a general low-level depravity operating at all times among the rich, such that the rape of children gets lost underneath all the regular prostitution, extorted sex, and assorted other embezzlement and blackmail. I’m sure it all just melts into the background after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

At the same time, I think Epstein was an extorter and blackmailer, and exposing them to that, if there is unsavoriness and they are at the party but not actually participating all of sudden it's hard for them to speak out against Epstein.