Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
BASKETBALL IS BACK TONIGHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Wark Say posted:

Wait, Sentai releasing a dub? Weren't they strictly subs-only and their prices would often make you cough up a lung? Or am I confusing 'em?

i always hear of sentai BDs because they'll throw something on sale and someone will go "oh poo poo this series box set is 40 bucks" or something, so probably some confusion with that latter part

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Wait, Sentai releasing a dub? Weren't they strictly subs-only and their prices would often make you cough up a lung? Or am I confusing 'em?
You're thinking Aniplex but even they'd dub shows sometimes

Shirobako was one of those shows Sentai released subbed only way back when and then I guess the feedback about it being dubbed was so big they did one, same thing happened to To Love Ru

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/nameoftheyear/status/1152773952818651136

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Arist posted:

Sentai? Gross

I should really keep watching Shirobako though, the scene in episode 4 with the VA audition made me want to die

You best get back on that Shirobako

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Wark Say posted:

You’re probably thinking of Aniplex, but Aniplex tends to do quite a lot of dubs nowadays as well. However, the cough up a lung part is still true, do you want to pay 300$ to own the Persona 5 anime? What a bargain!

Pony Canyon tried this as well but managed to flame out because I only bought their stupidly expensive Sound Euphonium and passed on everything else.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Shirobako is good. I'm not biased at all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

More like Shirobaka

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
You're biased with good taste.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

You’re probably thinking of Aniplex, but Aniplex tends to do quite a lot of dubs nowadays as well. However, the cough up a lung part is still true, do you want to pay 300$ to own the Persona 5 anime? What a bargain!

Pony Canyon tried this as well but managed to flame out because I only bought their stupidly expensive Sound Euphonium and passed on everything else.

Lol, isn’t the persona 5 anime not even very good?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

It was a lot more boring than the P4 anime, that's for sure.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If a scary dog comes by heres that ultraviolent 80-90s shoujo horror stuff I was talking about, this is like an anthology of some of the bigger authors.

https://mangadex.org/title/11307/13-peoples-short-suspense-and-horror

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

If a scary dog comes by heres that ultraviolent 80-90s shoujo horror stuff I was talking about, this is like an anthology of some of the bigger authors.

https://mangadex.org/title/11307/13-peoples-short-suspense-and-horror

lol thanks ill read this

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
up to date with shiori experience btw. pretty good stuff.....not amazing though. seems like its split between ghost plot & band plot and doesnt really combine them well

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Last Celebration posted:

while the persona 4 anime got a talented comedy director and tasked them with making a boring video game adaptation with a few moments where they were allowed to do something more interesting, persona 5 got an insanely talented animator who's adept at working with lighting and color, who has worked on some of the most stunning and imaginative openingss and fight scenes in anime, and tasked him with making a really boring by the books anime adaptation that never strays from the source material and never does anything interesting visually or story-wise

basically, anyone who wants to watch the persona 5 anime for whatever reason should watch this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTeLGxA1rrU

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 31, 2020

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

up to date with shiori experience btw. pretty good stuff.....not amazing though. seems like its split between ghost plot & band plot and doesnt really combine them well

Because of how slow and sporadic the translation ended up being I bet my exultation and joy whenever I saw a new chapter after 8 months or 2 years (it got that bad) means I'm more forgiving of that stuff, I think the ghost plot in the background right now of some kind of secret shonen ghost society is really out of place compared to the more down to earth and emotional journey of forming a band however, you're right.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Because of how slow and sporadic the translation ended up being I bet my exultation and joy whenever I saw a new chapter after 8 months or 2 years (it got that bad) means I'm more forgiving of that stuff, I think the ghost plot in the background right now of some kind of secret shonen ghost society is really out of place compared to the more down to earth and emotional journey of forming a band however, you're right.

its still a lot better than carole & tuesday lol, and that show had the advantage of having good songs u could hear

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I don't know how far behind the english is but the cobain section in particular feels like the author wanted to try to mix up the narrative in one direction and then reconsidered and pushed it back for a while again.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

I don't know how far behind the english is but the cobain section in particular feels like the author wanted to try to mix up the narrative in one direction and then reconsidered and pushed it back for a while again.

the last chapter on mangadex was the trumpet players backstory about how they used to play saxaphone. and the kurt cobain stuff felt like foreshadowing....seemed like it was setting up that the mob boss was somehow involved in jimi hendrixs death or something. all very contrived and not emotionally interesting

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

the last chapter on mangadex was the trumpet players backstory about how they used to play saxaphone. and the kurt cobain stuff felt like foreshadowing....seemed like it was setting up that the mob boss was somehow involved in jimi hendrixs death or something. all very contrived and not emotionally interesting

I guarantee there was an editors meeting where they were considering turning it into a music battle series, or at least floating it as an idea during that arc.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jimi Hendrix jacks in to use... Purple Haze?!?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
lol also the flashback where kurt cobain says he killed himself because smells like teen spirit was too popular was really weird

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/MarioIsBroken/status/1288923113535619072?s=20

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think the version of jimi hendrix in the comic is pretty fun and playing off of shiori is a great way to intro the comic but more important than them is the growing cast of kids and the band they're putting together. I think the kids are the real heart of the comic now so the kurt scenes and the drama with her brother I'm not sure I even want to see the payoff for, but we will see, maybe it turns out good.

Lifes full of surprises.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Looks like hololive got hit by copyright claims :(

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SatoshiMiwa posted:

:rip:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Really hard too, most everything for farther back than a month ago was privated and is "under review" even stuff that didn't have anything to do with video games. Although hopefully at least some of it will make it back.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

watching another 2000s yuri anime
https://files.catbox.moe/4jlfww.mp4

Probably unlikely, but just check you have the ova episode that's the actual ending not just the tv ending.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sharkopath posted:

judging by the covers on Mangadex we're at least six volumes behind

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The P5 anime *does* have a sick-rear end OP by the same guy who did the best Yama No Susume OP, so it at least has that going for it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

The P5 anime *does* have a sick-rear end OP by the same guy who did the best Yama No Susume OP, so it at least has that going for it

that guy is the director.

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably unlikely, but just check you have the ova episode that's the actual ending not just the tv ending.

my download has 13 eps so i imagine the last one is the ova

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

while the persona 4 anime got a talented comedy director and tasked them with making a boring video game adaptation with a few moments where they were allowed to do something more interesting, persona 5 got an insanely talented animator who's adept at working with lighting and color, who has worked on some of the most stunning and imaginative openingss and fight scenes in anime, and tasked him with making a really boring by the books anime adaptation that never strays from the source material and never does anything interesting visually or story-wise

basically, anyone who wants to watch the persona 5 anime for whatever reason should watch this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTeLGxA1rrU

Man, it sounds like they almost had the right idea since P5 relies so much on its style but then they didn’t even try to do anything with it. I’d say at least the dub’ll be good for $300 but that’s not even a big achievement in 2020.

Also it sounds like I’ve been misled from YouTube clips into thinking that P4 isn’t mostly a comedy anime that sometimes tells the og story

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh that's basically what the p4 anime is, and it has plenty of extra digressions from the plot of p4 that are much more interesting than most of p4

hell, the way it covers the stuff with adachi kinda owns

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Its such a weird thing since the P5 cast could be just as goofy and entertaining as the P4 cast but literally none of it translated to the anime. It was just by-the-book boring.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean again p4 was handled by a notable comedy director while p5 was handled by someone who works with way weirder and moodier stuff, and afaik basically wasn't allowed to take advantage of any of his own talents

guy directed an episode of friggin occultic;nine that was more interesting

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The Persona 5 anime is the definition of “fine” for me. I would watch it every week and I enjoyed it, but mainly cause I just really liked Persona 5 and it pretty much just redid it in anime form. The best thing about it is the incredibly rad 1st OP it had.

Is that worth 300$? Hell no. Not at all. However it’s Aniplex and Persona is huge so that’s what they will charge.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the christmas ep of p4g is where you can really see how good it could’ve been, that episode kicks rear end

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

chie thinks narukami has asked her to spend christmas and gets so flustered she has to watch a movie where bruce lee kicks santa’s rear end to cool off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

hosed up that I can't watch all of deca-dence yet