Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
I've started playing Death Stranding, and had a funny moment where I had returned to the main character's room, and he's sat on the bed facing the camera. He was pretty filthy from doing lots of deliveries. I was distracted from the game for a few minutes and when I looked at the screen again he was breaking the 4th wall by staring out of the screen and non verbally begging me to let him use the shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I love that game to death but the back half of the story is increasingly buried under weird and bad design decisions (presumably because of cut content and rushed completion). I didn't even get to various parts of the actual ending my first time through because progression is tied to some combination of beating the rehashed main missions and generic side ops that I still don't quite understand.

I only did the pure story missions and enough of the side missions to get what I gather is the final ending, and quiet's ending. I watched the disarmament vid and the deleted-ending on youtube. By that stage I was just running around gunning down choppers and S+ potential comrades with the serval and that owned too.

I had no idea about any of the backstory (and forward story) and that was perfect, no need to explain anything. Pixelated cyber man suit? Sure!

My only nitpicky gripe turned into a no-doubt very old take that even though you've turned half the russian army they speak in generic us grunt accents, and that fits perfectly.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

TED FARO YOU MOTHERFUCKER.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://i.imgur.com/xSK1dNF.mp4
There's a perk in Ghost of Tsushima that lets you burn resolve points (built up during combat) to heal yourself from a lethal wound. I ignored it for a while, thinking if I'm down to that option I might as well just restart the encounter. But then I realized its true use: skipping a bunch of the slow and boring segments climbing handholds down cliff faces, in favor of pancaking yourself to death and self-resurrecting. Literally taking damage to save time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haveblue posted:

It's extra impressive considering that Melina Juergens had no performance experience at the time, she was supposed to be a mocap practice stand-in but they realized they didn't really need to go out and cast someone else afterward.

This was one of those serendipitous decisions that ended up profoundly changing the game for the better. If you look at the first set of dev diaries for Hellblade, the early concepts for Senua were much more in line with the exaggerated, comic book style Ninja Theory was known for at the time. They bodyscanned a female bodybuilder as Senua's reference model and she was a lot more chatty with the voices in early slices of the game, with a prim and proper British accent. When Melina Juergens was cast, she brought a vulnerability to the role that really heightened the futility of her quest. Senua was no longer an imposing figure of her own but an average woman continually facing off against these hordes of 9-foot tall viking monsters. And because she wasn't a formally trained actress, much of Senua's spoken dialogue ended up being cut or shifted onto the Narrator, leading to a rawer, more visceral performance. It's the first time in a video game where I was completely wrapped up in the portrayal itself rather than thinking "this is pretty good acting... for a video game." It's awesome that Juergens won a BAFTA, she has some incredible talent.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://i.imgur.com/xSK1dNF.mp4
There's a perk in Ghost of Tsushima that lets you burn resolve points (built up during combat) to heal yourself from a lethal wound. I ignored it for a while, thinking if I'm down to that option I might as well just restart the encounter. But then I realized its true use: skipping a bunch of the slow and boring segments climbing handholds down cliff faces, in favor of pancaking yourself to death and self-resurrecting. Literally taking damage to save time.

There's one where you can park our roll when landing by pressing a button, which keeps you from taking damage. I just got it and didn't test it much, the text said it's not unlimited tho.

Ghost of tsushima has been mentioned a lot already, rightfully so, because it is a truly great game. My favorite thing is the combat, which really manages to get the feeling of being a samurai right, while you're not invincible either.

A small thing I learned about yesterday which I like a lot: when you do a lot of ghost (stealth) actions, the weather becomes darker and more stormy. This is doubly cool, when you remember that storms have a very specific meaning when talking about the Mongol invasion of Japan. They were not good news for them at all.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I mean sure, I could roll to avoid damage, but that would mean getting to watch myself pancake off a cliff less frequently

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

TED FARO YOU MOTHERFUCKER.

:lol:

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
In Ghosts of Tsushima, there are a lot of great interactions between Jin and his horse after each mission (the best one, of course, is the one where they're both taking a nap and Jin jerks awake and then pats his horse to get up). Just when they become routine, there's a unique one after a particularly sad mission in Act 2, where the horse seems to be trying to cheer Jin up.

There's also unique call outs in big battles if you kill an enemy that's attacking an ally, and they're just rare enough that they're surprising and feel like a "gently caress yeah" moment. And I will never get tired of the moment before a duel begins and Jin thumbs his sword out of its sheath right as the drumroll crescendo hits.

It's a good game! I started out rolling my eyes at the self-serious samurai stuff but by the middle of Act 2 I was roped all the way in.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'm streets behind but I've been playing GodDad of War lately and have been enjoying the hell out of it. The dialogue is amazing and watching Kratos and Boy's relationship evolve has been great too.

Couple little things so far:

Kratos punches through the lids of small chests instead of just opening them.
Dialogue stops then restarts as you get on and off boats. And it's acknowledged by the group - just a simple "lets pick this up later" and then when you get back on the boat, they do!

I went in blind on this game never having played previous ones, but I'm sure there's all sorts of callbacks I'm missing. I may go back and play them after this. Just got to Jotunheim so not sure how much I have left but can't be much.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Dialogue stops then restarts as you get on and off boats. And it's acknowledged by the group - just a simple "lets pick this up later" and then when you get back on the boat, they do!

I've noticed games getting better at this for important dialogue lately. Last of Us 2 also did it well, although it creates some unintentionally funny moments if you keep interrupting the same conversation multiple times.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
God Sindri being a germophobe is hilarious as well. The conversation with him about finding Mimir’s other eye killed me

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Joey Freshwater posted:

I went in blind on this game never having played previous ones, but I'm sure there's all sorts of callbacks I'm missing.

Not as many as you'd think, they did a good job of not alienating people who didn't play the early ones. There are a lot of lines that will remind a veteran player of specific moments in previous games but if you don't know those moments, they still land with about the same impact.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Really cool thing about Ghost of Tsushima is the stunning visual design. It doesn't seem like the map would lend itself to much diversity, but you never look at the same environment for long. The designers went absolutely wild with the variations in color and biomes and it all looks amazing in all weather and at any time of day.

Extra special shoutout to the dueling arenas. When you end up in a serious 1v1 boss fight, you will definitely not just be in a field somewhere. Every single one of them is unique and specially made to be a visual treat. My favorite one so far has been set at night in a field of white flowers, surrounded by graves and lit up by thousands of fireflies. I also loved the one that takes place on a sea-level shelf while a storm whips up huge waves around you.

Unrelated, but I also appreciate the light touch of the supernatural, which I wasn't expecting. Weird, inexplicable things happen from time to time. They are fun to stumble into but are tiny and have zero impact on the story because it's not about that. It all helps to sell the setting as this kind of lost fairytale paradise.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've noticed games getting better at this for important dialogue lately. Last of Us 2 also did it well, although it creates some unintentionally funny moments if you keep interrupting the same conversation multiple times.

RDR2 does this if you bump horses with someone. "GODDAMMIT ARTHUR, WATCH OUT. Now, what I was saying before..."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SkeletonHero posted:

Really cool thing about Ghost of Tsushima is the stunning visual design. It doesn't seem like the map would lend itself to much diversity, but you never look at the same environment for long. The designers went absolutely wild with the variations in color and biomes and it all looks amazing in all weather and at any time of day.

Extra special shoutout to the dueling arenas. When you end up in a serious 1v1 boss fight, you will definitely not just be in a field somewhere. Every single one of them is unique and specially made to be a visual treat. My favorite one so far has been set at night in a field of white flowers, surrounded by graves and lit up by thousands of fireflies. I also loved the one that takes place on a sea-level shelf while a storm whips up huge waves around you.

Unrelated, but I also appreciate the light touch of the supernatural, which I wasn't expecting. Weird, inexplicable things happen from time to time. They are fun to stumble into but are tiny and have zero impact on the story because it's not about that. It all helps to sell the setting as this kind of lost fairytale paradise.

At one point I had a duel in a marsh that I had to keep repeating over and over again (duels on Lethal suck), which meant seeing it at different times of the day, including one where the setting sun was breaking through a thick fog in the background, silhouetting the two of us against it, and it was badass as gently caress.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
When you ride through a big field of flowers Ghost of Tsushima will lean to the side off the horse and run his hand along the tops of the flowers :3:

Also he likes to swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxOg0FdbmsI

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Captain Hygiene posted:

Spider-Man also did this, but it also sometimes continued the conversation but switched out Peter's lines with alternate recordings where he's out of breath and clearly exerting himself.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Chiming in to agree Ghost of Tsushima is gorgeous. It’s like the movie “Hero” but even better because it’s in English.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Chiming in to agree Ghost of Tsushima is gorgeous. It’s like the movie “Hero” but even better because it’s in English.

More like olddubless

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Actually the real reason it's good is because it lets you deflect arrows with your katana, saving you the effort of doing so in real life

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

e: this didn't accidentally quote myself, nobody can prove it

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The combat in Ghost Of Tsushima can be tricky for me, but if I can get in the zone even minor encounters feel like you're watching the coolest, most carefully choreographed action set piece from any samurai film.

I really like that they give you a weather changing button. I like to make it rainy or foggy when I'm taking on Mongol camps to make it more dramatic. Then I make it sunny when I'm exploring so I can see those. landscapes in full vibrant color.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

The combat in Ghost Of Tsushima can be tricky for me, but if I can get in the zone even minor encounters feel like you're watching the coolest, most carefully choreographed action set piece from any samurai film.

The combat is tuned pretty well on the low end, I'm surprised I can actually play on medium a lot of the time but I've turned it down to easy for some of the tougher encounters and it feels like I'm an actual competent god of war.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like using Ghost Weapons kind of ruins that feel for me because it's a lot less cool and choreographed when you just drop a smoke bomb and then chain kill half the group.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Actually the real reason it's good is because it lets you deflect arrows with your katana, saving you the effort of doing so in real life

You say that but I still need to deflect arrows with my katana every now and then when I go out for groceries or to do some gardening.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Morpheus posted:

You say that but I still need to deflect arrows with my katana every now and then when I go out for groceries or to do some gardening.

Just go into focused hearing mode and take out the last couple Mongols to make those areas safe, it's not that hard :confused:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like using Ghost Weapons kind of ruins that feel for me because it's a lot less cool and choreographed when you just drop a smoke bomb and then chain kill half the group.

I basically never use them, or stealth in general unless a mission forces me to, because the basic combat is so much fun. It feels really easy when you’re doing well but just one slip-up can be fatal so it’s always tense and engaging. I was worried from gameplay videos that it was going to be “press the counter button for an instant-kill animation” but it’s actually really exciting

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I basically never use them, or stealth in general unless a mission forces me to, because the basic combat is so much fun. It feels really easy when you’re doing well but just one slip-up can be fatal so it’s always tense and engaging. I was worried from gameplay videos that it was going to be “press the counter button for an instant-kill animation” but it’s actually really exciting

Yeah, I basically just go march up to people and demand honorable duels which is funny when everyone is like "you are NOT acting like a samurai!!" while I'm like "bro I just challenged them to open combat and defeated them with nothing but my sword and the kickin' rad straw hat I have on, what gives?"

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ImpAtom posted:

Arguably thats one of the main themes of the game, by using the tactics of thieves, that make everything a lot easier, jin is losing his honor and identity as a samurai.

I kinda wish there was a honor meter in the game, and that the ending or something would change depending on how much shadow weapons you use. Trying to go through the game with no shadow weapons would be a great difficulty mode that doesn't just make enemies have more health.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Re: Duels in Ghost of Tsushima— a certain quest involves finding specific duels that show up as PoI on the map and rather than just being called something generic each has a unique name. Duel of Crashing Waves, Duel Among the Spider Lilies, etc. It really sells that samurai movie feel even more.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I basically just go march up to people and demand honorable duels which is funny when everyone is like "you are NOT acting like a samurai!!" while I'm like "bro I just challenged them to open combat and defeated them with nothing but my sword and the kickin' rad straw hat I have on, what gives?"

my go-to way of dealing with encampments is sneaking up behind the enemy leader and then instead of assassinating them, I just scream at them to fight me

actually if I have one complaint it's that the "yell at guys" button should be available all the time instead of being context-sensitive.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

actually if I have one complaint it's that the "yell at guys" button should be available all the time instead of being context-sensitive.

Yeah likewise, I wish I could just roll up to an encampment and demand that everyone fight me. Just let me aggro everyone in a fifty-foot radius whenever I want.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Son of Rodney posted:

Arguably thats one of the main themes of the game, by using the tactics of thieves, that make everything a lot easier, jin is losing his honor and identity as a samurai.

I kinda wish there was a honor meter in the game, and that the ending or something would change depending on how much shadow weapons you use. Trying to go through the game with no shadow weapons would be a great difficulty mode that doesn't just make enemies have more health.

Eh, I see what you are saying, but I always think its a misstep when games have an incentive to not engage with their systems. Like dishonoured for example, the lethal gadgets were the most fun, but tell me that "You get a better ending if you try to stay non lethal" and I'll end up playing the game never touching 90% of the gadgets because I want to get the "good" ending. I'll tell myself that I'll do a second playthrough where I use all the other toys, but we both know I will probably only play through any given game once, then something new will come out and I'll never go back. If you have to do something like that, make it a trophy or something, not a different ending. I can cheerfully ignore trophies.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Doesn't Dishonored only do that because the playtest group went "But I don't wanna kill people ):"

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Len posted:

Doesn't Dishonored only do that because the playtest group went "But I don't wanna kill people ):"

Iirc it wasn't the playtesters, it was a result of them announcing a game heavily reminiscent of the Thief series so everyone started talking about going non lethal and ghosting through the game before it was released. Which led to them adding the non lethal assassinations. I don't think the chaos stuff was added because of that especially since there was actually very little support for non lethal play until the expansion. Also because you need to kill like 50 percent of all the NPC's in the game to get high chaos.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It was probably a mistake to tie it to the ending, but I think the idea for the chaos stuff is that if you're running round killing everyone you'll want there to be more enemies for a fun experience than if you're stealthing past them all, so the game provides.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Qwertycoatl posted:

It was probably a mistake to tie it to the ending, but I think the idea for the chaos stuff is that if you're running round killing everyone you'll want there to be more enemies for a fun experience than if you're stealthing past them all, so the game provides.

Yeah, the only problem is tying it to the ending, which makes it surprising that they did the same for the sequel and only got rid of it in the death of the outsider. It also makes more sense if you consider Dishonoured as a sequel to Dark Messiah rather than Thief, because if that was made more clear the, expectations on ghosting etc. wouldn't be there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can kill a whole hell of a lot of people in Dishonored and still get the good ending. People always overestimate how touchy the chaos system is and spend the whole game using only blink and the tranq crossbow and then say the game isn't fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah but they also threw in trophies for ghost/clean hands and special dialog for one NPC if you make it to the last level with zero kills so people still won't do it