Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why are you comparing some fictional “medieval peasant” to I assume an average American

The American hick is one of the dumbest and most ignorant persons in human history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Stringent posted:

If I needed a chair fixed or a potato grown I know who I'd be asking and it isn't the american.

there's like two sentences there, it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask you to read both of them

e: unless you are an illiterate medieval peasant, in which case you should really check out doritos

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

there's like two sentences there, it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask you to read both of them

e: unless you are an illiterate medieval peasant, in which case you should really check out doritos

lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Greece has never actually been very heavily populated. It's mountainous and hard to grow food. Western cultural traditions descend from there so it has an outsized perception. All the real action in the classical days was in places like Persia. It's relative unimportance was probably more the rest of the world catching up and surpassing them then them falling behind.

Although I wouldn't put it past the Romans to try and marginalize them for a bit after having to fight that dick Mithradates three times

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did Greece suffer some sort of depopulation or have we just always given it outsized importance? The romans valued greek culture but by then it's all about Thrace, Sicily, the hellenized east, etc and they pretty much stomped the classical heartland as an afterthought. And by the time Constantinople is founded it seems like Greece is already a total backwater. It kinda seems like the actual classical greeks living in Greece were the only ones who really gave a poo poo about Greece proper.
I think it's a mix of "it was important to the Romans, and through the Renaissance is thus important to us," and "the Greeks wrote down a lot of poo poo, and a fair amount of it survived intact to the point where it could be easily copied around and preserved."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Greeks weren’t just in what is now Greece . They were all over Asia Minor which was as rich a place as could be

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He was talking about the geographical Greece I believe

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

PittTheElder posted:

Muslims were big on the whole tolerance front as well, so that's where you will see large numbers of Christians and Muslims and older faiths living together.

One thing to keep in mind with Islam is that a really tiny number of Arabs trounced Rome and Persia and took over an enormous territory populated entirely with non-Muslims. The Arabs then used the administrative apparatus of these states to govern them and extract taxes/troops/ships/etc. That means that they 100% needed the cooperation of the people living there to keep governing, there were too few of them to do the job themselves. It wasn't that they loved the idea of tolerance and wanted to buy the world a Coke, they just didn't have the strength to forcibly convert everyone and still keep their empire.

Christians weren't living in Caliphate because it was such a happy, tolerant place. They were living there because they had been living there for centuries before the Caliphate existed and they just continued doing so. And they did so under varying levels of persecution depending on the time and place, everything from paying extra taxes to massacres and child slavery.

The other thing to keep in mind is that pre-modern states just didn't have a lot of the tools to do things like forced conversion, there was no mass media, no printing press, no public education, no ministry of propaganda. Not to say it's impossible because obviously the majority of the population in areas controlled by Muslims did eventually convert, but that process took centuries.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oh yeah all of that. Plus the Christians (or more properly just non-Muslims) paid extra bonus taxes, so really the state would probably prefer that they not convert. I've read that converting was actually made somewhat difficult to do as well; presumably they wanted to make sure conversions were genuine, rather than switching your paperwork for preferential treatment.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
"When ready, honey is poured over the placenta."
-Cato the Elder

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Stringent posted:

If I needed a chair fixed or a potato grown I know who I'd be asking and it isn't the american.

A medieval peasant isn't gonna know how to grow a potato, would take the American who can google it

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

We have tons of cultural stuff about potatoes in America. I literally learned about planting potato eyes in loving preschool.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

big dyke energy posted:

A medieval peasant isn't gonna know how to grow a potato, would take the American who can google it

Didn't have chairs either, what's your point.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did Greece suffer some sort of depopulation or have we just always given it outsized importance? The romans valued greek culture but by then it's all about Thrace, Sicily, the hellenized east, etc and they pretty much stomped the classical heartland as an afterthought. And by the time Constantinople is founded it seems like Greece is already a total backwater. It kinda seems like the actual classical greeks living in Greece were the only ones who really gave a poo poo about Greece proper.

Influence as a factor of population density is always relative. iirc Classical Greece was quite densely populated for its time, something about greater trading activity and agricultural developments contributed to this and put the Greeks on a more even footing vis-a-vis the Achaemenid Empire. This was not true for most of the Archaic period that preceded it.

During the Hellenistic period, there was a lot of emigration from Greece out towards the various successor kingdoms of Alexander, as well as a prolongued period of fairly bloody warfare between the successor kingdoms and various city-state leagues. When Rome came around to Greece, they had united the entire Italian peninsula under a pretty cohesive state, and were capable of raising 100,000 man armies on the regular. These were exorbitantly large armies for the Hellenistic kingdoms.

afaik, Athens was still a major city when Constantinople was founded, but basically over a thousand years people gravitated towards the bustling capital, while nobody really stuck around in Athens.

Also, the Greeks viewed Syracuse as one of the largest and greatest Greek cities in the world, they were just fairly far away and didn't get absorbed in Aegean politics often.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Didn't have chairs either, what's your point.

To be fair, if you're an American, you're proving your own point

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

This is a poor argument. The volume of information for the modern person is vastly larger, and of much less comparative value. It also ignores that it's very possible to teach the illiterate. The average American is probably just as well versed in the knowledge pertaining to their own lives of the medieval man. It's just a different set of useful knowledge

All great points. If anyone here got time travelled back to an 11th century village all their Wikipedia factoids would be worthless and their weak computer arms and lack of farm boy know-how would put them at the bottom of society. "But but...we should mechanize! Let's use electricity or something! It's supposed to come out of your wall...hmmm "

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Could always invent distilled spirits. Being the dude who makes moonshine has to be a decent way to make money.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Libluini posted:

To be fair, if you're an American, you're proving your own point

I am!

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

"When ready, honey is poured over the placenta."
-Cato the Elder

Does this qualify as a sandwich, a soup, or a pizza?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

SerialKilldeer posted:

Does this qualify as a sandwich, a soup, or a pizza?

A cake.

"Placenta" means a flatbread (the placenta organ was named after it), it's a kind of multilayered cake with cheese and honey in it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Oh yeah all of that. Plus the Christians (or more properly just non-Muslims) paid extra bonus taxes

Even more properly, 'people of the book', so Christians and Jews (and Sabians, whoever they were). Pagans got to convert or die.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rockopolis posted:

Could always invent distilled spirits. Being the dude who makes moonshine has to be a decent way to make money.

At least it's better to be beheaded by the local lord for dodging import duties than being burnt for the sorcery of methanol poisoning.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

feedmegin posted:

Even more properly, 'people of the book', so Christians and Jews (and Sabians, whoever they were). Pagans got to convert or die.

Unless they didn't, see the Hindus in India. Note I'm not calling Hindus "Pagans" dismissively, just pointing out that they fit the Islamic definition until it was too inconvenient for the Mughals to pull the ol' "convert or die" on them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I remember when I lived in France all my apartment-dwelling neighbors knew how to run subsistence farms and build all their own equipment, unlike idiot americans

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

euphronius posted:

I mean .. there wasn’t any books until mid 15th century

Widely available books

Not as widely available as the post-printing era, but books were more common in the 14th and early 15th century than people think. The growth of university education led to an equally growing demand for textbooks, reference books, and other non-religious texts. A system developed for stationers to be hired to create copies of a text, which they then farmed out to scribes and illuminators (who were not necessarily employed by a monastery at this point) to create the pages. They would hire multiple men of each profession and give each a segment of the book to speed up production, with the worker putting a marking of some sort to indicate their work and where it should be in the book. Then it all went back to the stationer for binding. Parchment and paper (made from linen rags) were likewise produced in great amounts and paper was typically used for less prestigious texts.

The printing press wasn't an invention that popped up out of nowhere. Movable type and other copying methods were being experimented with around Europe for a long time before Gutenberg because there was already a desire to speed up the process. Gutenberg was just the first to perfect the idea to the point where it worked efficiently.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I remember when I lived in France all my apartment-dwelling neighbors knew how to run subsistence farms and build all their own equipment, unlike idiot americans

I know a few French people and I reckon you met some outliars.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Potatoes are pretty easy. Threw a bunch of moldy potatoes on my compost heap and now I have a dozen potato plants in the backyard.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
If I went back in time with all the knowledge I currently have, I would die better and faster than any of them peasants.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Being able to do math and economics would probably get you good work come to think of it. And timing big known events. "Very well Monsieur, you will certainly crush the English when you encounter them, maybe near Agincourt or something. Just wear your extra heavy armor and dismount. By the way, before you go, can I borrow a gazillion francs? I'll pay you back when you're back from the battle."

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ola posted:

Being able to do math and economics would probably get you good work come to think of it. And timing big known events. "Very well Monsieur, you will certainly crush the English when you encounter them, maybe near Agincourt or something. Just wear your extra heavy armor and dismount. By the way, before you go, can I borrow a gazillion francs? I'll pay you back when you're back from the battle."

having anything to do with royal finance is an excellent way to die fast

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I will thrive by knowing not to poop or let my animals poop into my drinking water and by my superior knowledge of how compost works.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Can anybody recommend me a good companion book/book about the New Testament, or if possible, the Book of Acts itself? I guess I'm almost looking for comparative literature, something secular that brings in some more historical/philosophical viewpoints. I was recommended Yale's Anchor Series on the Book of Acts, but it's 50 bux and the Internet Archive scan of it is a little hosed up. Plus, it's a little too dense and Bible Study-ish. I don't know, a shot in the dark!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

20 Blunts posted:

Can anybody recommend me a good companion book/book about the New Testament, or if possible, the Book of Acts itself? I guess I'm almost looking for comparative literature, something secular that brings in some more historical/philosophical viewpoints. I was recommended Yale's Anchor Series on the Book of Acts, but it's 50 bux and the Internet Archive scan of it is a little hosed up. Plus, it's a little too dense and Bible Study-ish. I don't know, a shot in the dark!

Might try asking here too:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866331&perpage=40&noseen=1

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What's the Terminus Ad Quem for this thread in terms of no longer ancient?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

the fall of the roman empire, so 1922

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The fall of the Roman empire, so 1204

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

:justpost:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
27 BC :agesilaus:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The fall of Rome, so 390 BC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010