Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Zeether posted:

New Getter Robo is there too now.

dub only, sadly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Another day, another forgotten mech anime.

It feels good to have a niche, you know? I don't think there's a dozen people alive today who've watched every anime, if it's even possible, and it's worse for games and films and books in general. Human knowledge is a vast ocean, big enough to drown the most dedicated, and it's a puddle next to the information in the universe.

We can't know everything. Any of us would go mad if we even tried. Halloween!. But we can find a little bit of the world, try to understand it, and maybe, just maybe, push back a little of the dark.

...Wow, that's a pretentious way to say "I watched RS Keikaku: Rebirth Storage", isn't it?

Anyway, it's a one episode anime special from 2016. Apparently the winner of an online poll on which project mech anime fans would like to see (a contest that had Tomino himself comment on the submissions) , it didn't seem to make much of an impact. Watching it, it's easy to see why.

There's not much original here, with some Pacific Rim and Eva jammed together for a main plot, a Linebarrel riff for the main mech, and mostly stock archetypes for the cast. The plot is that the hero, a talented but brash teenager, is partnered with an aloof girl in glasses to pilot a robot against aliens or something. They learn to work together, but she has a secret. Well, multiple secrets, including that piloting the mech erases your memories, but the big one comes about two-thirds in, after she's gone off to fight a doomed last defense for humanity solo, despite the mech being a twin seater. It turns out the hero was the first main pilot, but he flew it too much and lost his compatibility and his memories. The new main pilot was his sister and copilot before the show started, but he forgot that along with the fact he used to wear glasses.

Then he pilots again and saves the day, before we get confirmation that the hero organization was up to shady NERV poo poo, and that's it. Whole setting's as dead as Dynagiga.

It's not a terrible show, to be clear. The animation is solid enough, the CG mechs look better than a lot of their kin, and, in the show's best trait, it loving moves. It realizes that it just has half an hour, and burns through every point it needs to hit with no hesitation. But none of those moments are better than functional. There's nothing like Dynagiga's little quiz to make these characters feel like more than cogs in the machine.

Honestly? It feels like the logical endproduct of having fans make a mech anime, even if they only voted on it. A bunch of stuff people liked before jammed together in an empty mimic of the whatever made people like the ideas in the first place.

Basically, it's like the anime people watch in anime.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

That's the dub where Ryoma is played by Neo Cortex, right

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Basically, it's like the anime people watch in anime.

I am still waiting for Celestial Being: The Movie.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Macross plus, movie or ova? I haven't seen it in ages and don't remember what version I saw, was wondering what the preferred version was.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Kingtheninja posted:

Macross plus, movie or ova? I haven't seen it in ages and don't remember what version I saw, was wondering what the preferred version was.

Movie cuts a lot but also has a significantly better fight between Guld and the drone, so, both? There used to be a fan cut floating around that had all the content of the OVA but also added the additional bits from the movie, but gently caress if I know where to find it these days.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
For whatever reason I decided to go through and rank all 46 main Gundam openings thus far, and figured you all might be interested in ripping me a new one over my bad opinions taking a look-see at it. This includes the insert song from F91 that is blatantly just it's opening from when it was going to be a proper main show, and does not include any of the openings from the Build animes because I don't care enough about them.

For full disclosure: While I've listented to most of these a lot, I will openly admit to listening to all the SEED, 00, and AGE openings that weren't Invoke, Realize, and Aurora just so that I could form an opinion on them - though I don't expect that most of these would shift around that much if I watched those series in full.

-Romantic Mode (SS)-

DREAMS (Gundam X OP1)
RESOLUTION (Gundam X OP2)

-Certified Banger (S)-

Anime ja Nai! (ZZ Gundam OP1)
Arashi no Naka de Kagayaite (08th MS Team OP)
You, Staring ~ The time I'm seeing you ~ (Gundam F91 OP)
FLYING IN THE SKY (G Gundam OP1)
BLAZING (G-Reco OP1)
Z Gundam (Zeta Gundam U.S. OP)
Rhythm Emotion (Wing Gundam OP2)
Futari no Maho (G-Reco OP2)
Fighter (IBO OP4)
Turn A Turn (Turn A Gundam OP1)
Ash Like Snow (Gundam 00 OP2)
Men of Destiny (Gundam 0083 OP2)
Z Toki wo Koete (Zeta Gundam OP1)
Real (Gundam AGE OP3)

-Real Dang Good (A)-

Rage of Dust (IBO OP3)
Aurora (Gundam AGE OP4)
TRUST YOU FOREVER (G Gundam OP2)
Raise Your Flag (IBO OP1)
Into The Sky (Gundam Unicorn OP)
Invoke (SEED OP1)
Sharp# (Gundam AGE OP2)
Silent Voice (ZZ Gundam OP2)
White Reflection (Endless Waltz OP)
Tobe! Gundam (Gundam 0079 OP)
Vestige (SEED Destiny OP5)

-Functional (B)-

Ignited (SEED Destiny OP1)
Just Communication (Gundam Wing OP1)
Mizu no Hoshi e Ai wo Komete (Zeta Gundam OP2)
Pride (SEED Destiny OP2)
Daybreak's Bell (00 OP1)
Reach Out to the Sky Someday (Gundam 0080 OP)
The Winner (Gundam 0083 OP1)
CENTURY COLOR (Turn A Gundam OP2)

-Boring (C)-

Stand Up To The Victory (Victory Gundam OP1)
Moment (SEED OP2)
Don't Stop! Carry On! (Victory Gundam OP2)
Realize (SEED OP4)
Namida no Mukou (00 OP4)
Asu e (Gundam AGE OP1)

-Next Opening, Please (D)-

Bokutachi no Yukue (SEED Destiny OP3)
Hakanaku no Towa Kanashi (00 OP3)
Believe (SEED OP3)
Survivor (IBO OP2)

-Literally A Mistake* (F)-

Wings of Words (SEED Destiny OP4)

As an aside, if this list was about the openings themselves and not just the songs, the G-Reco openings would absolutely be in the SS tier like Romantic Mode is now - from everything I've seen, G-Reco is a beautiful show - and all the SEED and SEED Destiny openings would be crowding the bottom of the list for agressive amounts of reused clips from opening to opening, which I can only imagine getting insanely grating and repetitive.

*i forget the exact story, but I do distinctly remember that Wings of Words is in some shape or form something that was never really meant to be an opening for SEED Destiny either for long, or at all, and hoo boy does it sound like it.

e: forgot to put one of my favorites on the whole list on here, the first Zeta opening's on there now

Sordas Volantyr fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 31, 2020

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wings of Words is unironically one of the best songs on that list.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
You forgot Zeta's first opening

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sordas Volantyr posted:

-Next Opening, Please (D)-

Believe (SEED OP3)

:mad:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think that is the first time I've ever seen anyone put Believe so low on a Gundam OP list.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I feel completely unable to talk about SEED's openings because I literally can't tell them apart. I like most of DESTINY's, never was a Wings of Words person though.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why would you not put just communication at the top perish fool

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ash like snow is triple a tier. Daybreak's bell is double s. 00 had some serious bangers for ops

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

drrockso20 posted:

You forgot Zeta's first opening

Son of a bitch, I totally forgot to put that one on the written version of the list! For reference, it's hanging out right between Men of Destiny and Real, but i'll update the list now!

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

Why would you not put just communication at the top perish fool

It just didn't grab me, honestly. I dunno why!

ImpAtom posted:

I think that is the first time I've ever seen anyone put Believe so low on a Gundam OP list.

I really wanna like Believe - there's so many things in it that almost make it worth being waaaaay higher on the list - but it just gets too much wrong to my ears to be saved from D.

Gaius Marius posted:

Ash like snow is triple a tier. Daybreak's bell is double s. 00 had some serious bangers for ops

See, maybe they grow on you when you actually watch the series, but to me 00 was overall the biggest dissapointment overall - Ash Like Snow is one of my friend's absolute favorites, and I agree, it's great! - but the rest kinda just bounced off. (AGE was probably my biggest surprise out of the whole list and I really don't know what to make of AGE 3 having some of my favorites despite being unmitigated dogshit)

(Also, it doesn't surprise me at all that the two 00 OPs that I actually thought were okay were the ones from the first half)

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Avatar and post combo resurrected this in my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIK54_zOW4o

Sordas Volantyr posted:

It just didn't grab me, honestly. I dunno why!
Static character pans. You hate static character pans.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No joke age actually had some good music. Some people think it also think it had good mechs, those people need a padded cell, but the music lads are alright.

L'arc en ciel is a legit band though. Got me into some cool rear end Japanese rock for a minute

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

-Certified Banger (S)-
Turn A Turn (Turn A Gundam OP1)
:hmmyes:

That "Turn A... Gundam" at the beginning is such an unexpected hook, haha. I love it.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

[...] Some people think it also think it had good mechs, those people need a padded cell [...]

The one mech I unironically like from AGE is the Dark Hound, because even lovely action-figure-looking bootleg Crossbone has some Crossbone DNA in it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sordas Volantyr posted:

The one mech I unironically like from AGE is the Dark Hound, because even lovely action-figure-looking bootleg Crossbone has some Crossbone DNA in it

Dark hound is pretty cool it's the genoaces that get me. man what a boring design, and people go crazy for it.

Also the loving spoiler on the AGE 1.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Oh, hey, someone else who has the right opinion that Romantic Mode's OPs to Gundam X are the best. My main disagreements are I'd rank both the Victory Gundam OPs a lot higher (probably the second one higher than the first) and for ZZ Silenlt Voice higher than Anime Ja Nai (but both are really good).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I still love the AGE-1 and all it's Wears(the fact that only like four or five of them got animated is a crime), the AGE-FX is one of the better final upgrade suits in the franchise, and I love pretty much all of the Vagan suits, even the Doom Lemon

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

That old Rhythm Emotion techno remix owns

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Silent Voice needs to be in SS rank for sure. I think I'm the only one who hates Turn A Turn though, Century Color is great imo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Survivor is much more solid than several on your list, and matches the tone of its cour nicely. It's a very 'last leg of a long journey' song.

I'll also say that I never quite got the love for Gundam X's openings. They're decent, but pretty generic - there's so many shows from around that time with openings that sound like that.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 31, 2020

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Good list but W H A T

Sordas Volantyr posted:

-Boring (C)-

Stand Up To The Victory (Victory Gundam OP1)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Silent Voice needs to be in SS rank for sure. I think I'm the only one who hates Turn A Turn though, Century Color is great imo.

I like turn A turn but I'd probably consider it middle of the pack in a ranking

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Survivor is much more solid than several on your list, and matches the tone of its cour nicely. It's a very 'last leg of a long journey' song.

It is definitely the weakest IBO opening though, so it fits the tier title. Some of the visuals are good but it's mostly flashes of each and every goddamn side character doing nothing of interest. Only the Kudelia and Barbatos launching scenes have engaging imagery.

The open snare in the song is fantastic ... and the rest of it is just kinda meh. Meandering lyrical melody that feels off pace from the instrumentation. Frenetic guitar wank way too low in the mix to be more than just noise. High hat and kick drum sound like they were added in post. The song just kinda sucks except the drums, or at least the ones that sound like they were actually played on a kit.

I don't wanna influence a tier list for Endings just yet, but Orphans no Namida is gonna be a big contender. It'd be hard to factor in the 'play us out' dynamic though, let alone the comes back for one episode to twist the loving knife factor.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Turn A Turn goes to the top just for that Mongolian/Tuvan Throat Singing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ranzear posted:

It is definitely the weakest IBO opening though, so it fits the tier title. Some of the visuals are good but it's mostly flashes of each and every goddamn side character doing nothing of interest. Only the Kudelia and Barbatos launching scenes have engaging imagery.

The open snare in the song is fantastic ... and the rest of it is just kinda meh. Meandering lyrical melody that feels off pace from the instrumentation. Frenetic guitar wank way too low in the mix to be more than just noise. High hat and kick drum sound like they were added in post. The song just kinda sucks except the drums, or at least the ones that sound like they were actually played on a kit.

I don't wanna influence a tier list for Endings just yet, but Orphans no Namida is gonna be a big contender. It'd be hard to factor in the 'play us out' dynamic though, let alone the comes back for one episode to twist the loving knife factor.

Yeah I'd have to say Raise Your Flag and Orphans no Namida might be one of the best OP/ED combinations the franchise has had

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

ManSedan posted:

Good list but W H A T

Once you get past the "haha super happy OP for the most senselessly dark Gundam show" factor, I always kinda thought Stand Up To The Victory kinda felt really... I dunno, is 'fake' a good word? It feels like, other than the fact that it uses the word Victory prominently in the drop, I feel like you could slam it into the opening reel for like twenty other shows and it would fit just as fine there as anywhere else. For reference, Don't Stop! Carry On! is even lower because it doesn't even have that much.

Ranzear posted:

It is definitely the weakest IBO opening though, so it fits the tier title.

I will fully admit that I am incapable of being fair to Survivor, because when all the openings that it has to share a series with are so incredible, even if it might be okay enough in a vaccuum, that I hate it way more than it maybe deserves. Not moving it from the bottom of D, though.

Ranzear posted:

I don't wanna influence a tier list for Endings just yet, but Orphans no Namida is gonna be a big contender.

Oh yeah no if I ever did an endings tier list Orphans no Namida goes right at the top of S tier, maybe SS tier if nothing else blows my socks off like it did.

Darth Walrus posted:

I'll also say that I never quite got the love for Gundam X's openings. They're decent, but pretty generic - there's so many shows from around that time with openings that sound like that.

Yeah, a lot of anime openings sounded like that in the middle of the 90s, and if I did a tierlist of every anime opening I've ever listened to almost all of the ones cut from the same cloth as Gundam X's OPs would be in SS or S, because they sound incredible.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Movie cuts a lot but also has a significantly better fight between Guld and the drone, so, both? There used to be a fan cut floating around that had all the content of the OVA but also added the additional bits from the movie, but gently caress if I know where to find it these days.
The movie is how it was originally conceived and there's a few extra things plus some really wild footage of Sharon hacking stuff near the end.

Downside is you don't get the dub if you're a fan of it because apparently Cranston was off doing Saving Private Ryan and they couldn't get him back so they just released the sub.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 1, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The dub ain't great anyways. Cranston's heart wasn't in it

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
unpopular take - i don't get the love for the gundam wing openings, but i find gundam x's openings to be great

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/nuprahtor/status/1289563017584111618?s=20

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I have no idea which of my usual threads I just clicked on now. That could go in at least three of them.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Had a rough day yesterday, super busy at work and multiple calls to my bank to deal with poo poo.

Depression shopping yielded a Bandai VF-4 figure so that's cool.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Finished watching RahXephon. That was really good and I feel both that people undersold it to me as a Eva derivative show but also that if I had seen it earlier I wouldn’t have appreciated it as much as I do right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rahxephon is excellent. One of those shows that's always on my mind for a rewatch.