Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

ggangensis posted:

You know, they say we Germans lack in the “critical thinking”-department, and when you take a look at the SC thread in the gamestar forum you are inclined to think that there is truth to it.

The most common American stereotype of Germans that I encounter is that you’re a country of colorless and efficient bureaucrats, pragmatic and hardworking but lacking in passion and imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dejapes posted:

As usual, whenever Star Citizen intersects with a normal gaming community, the reaction is incredulity and ridicule.

As it should be :unsmith:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

The most common American stereotype of Germans that I encounter is that you’re a country of colorless and efficient bureaucrats, pragmatic and hardworking but lacking in passion and imagination.

if you cross out pragmatic and hardworking you nailed it :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

TheAgent, your hello's were right on. Thats a loving ps4 dev kit.

Ooooh, good catch

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Spatial posted:

It's worse than DNF because on top of modernisation updates, which do happen, Chris will undo progress back to zero for completed assets on a whim. Many parts of the game have been remade multiple times from scratch at this point. How many times did they redesign that stupid jacket on a single quest giver? At least five. He has a history of doing this, e.g. Strike Commander had the entire campaign redone from scratch 3 months before release. And because he has little imagination he can only see it's bad when it's finished, the worst possible time.

Chris won't hear no for an answer so there's no fighting it, you can't say something isn't working or that a compromise has to be made. You'll be fired because the problem will be your lack of positive thinking. This means reality can't be acknowledged within the company, and the resulting internal contradictions kill motivation, cause infighting between departments due to blame shifting, mean only yes-men get promoted, etc. Just a gigantic mess.

Chris is also a notoriously awful micromanager. He focuses on graphical minutiae as being all-important but thinks very little of anything else. His world is one of only details with no broad strokes. This is very much reflected both in the game and its development methodology. Recall the incidental screengrab where the CEO of the company is telling a modeller directly in detail how they should change the little hat inside of a space helmet and how their badge isn't the right one.

Chris doesn't learn from his mistakes either. He legitimately believes they are other people's failures, that if they just listened to him everything would have been fine. As he said in a particularly sweaty video update, if HE did everything it wouldn't take so long! So they retread the very same path, with the only difference being a great supply of funding from whale fracking allowing it to go on longer.

A typical company is not an efficient thing by any means, but CIG is multiples worse than the norm because there's a deep rot from the very core affecting every aspect of operations. No amount of talent or money can overcome that dysfunction. It's how you produce the work of 30 people with 500.

Of course you'd say all that, because you don't understand game development

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Solarin posted:

Of course you'd say all that, because you don't understand game development

Too true.

You know, if Chris was the visionary he claimed to be, he'd be able to articulate that vision to the artists and designers, so their product would be close to what he wanted, with minor modification at best. How curious that it's the exact opposite. It's almost as if he relies on them to design something from scratch, then if he doesn't like it says "not what I pictured" but if he does like it he says "that's what I pictured the whole time."

It's almost as if he's a lying fraud who has stolen other people's work and called it his own for decades running now.

Almost.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Calipark posted:

I return to Star Citizen once every year at this time to actually play it and see where it's at.

This was 2 hours of non-stop poo poo breaking. It never stopped. Everything was broken. Every single feature I touched had something horrifically wrong.

After 30 minutes of trying to find my way out of a station. Call my ship. Re-call my ship because I couldn't open the doors to the ship. Get to my ship but fall over dead from an apparent heart attack. Respawn and find my way back. Get into the ship again. Fly 500m. "You have been disconnected from the server" *boots me back to menu*.

So yeah that was fun. Sure glad to have that 100gb of my SSD back.

“Bla blah, all that complaining is just proof that you don’t understand how an Alpha works. There are supposed to be bugs and glitches. People who complain about broken mechanics and bugs in an Alpha state, should gently caress off and not participate.”

I read exactly this minutes ago and thought it “fits” here lol

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

As a result of that article someone applied for a refund.
CIG got back to them.

"Thanks for contacting Cloud Imperium Games. Your communication is of upmost importance to us. As such, we've dedicated a team to formulating a reply. We'll bring you news on that reply as soon as possible, once we've drafted our approach to formulating a reply. Keep an eye out on your in-box for when we release our first-stage communication laying out our first-draft development strategy dedicated to formulating the heads-up on when we'll have news of when we are ready to start work on your reply draft.

In the mean time, can we please have money.

Sincerely
CIG
"

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

colonelwest posted:

It's true

e: we also make good auditors

tuo fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 31, 2020

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Experimental Skin posted:

But that kind of makes it better/worse. They appear to have been trying and failing for at least 5 years, while maintaining their We Saving Da PC Gaimes cred with the plebs the whole time.

I don't see any visible scorch marks on the kit though, so perhaps it wasn't in use?

It was actually mentioned in a video after it was spotted. In a 10 for chairman or one of the things that replaced it. Chris said something like, "some eagle eyed viewers noticed a ps4 dev kit in a recent video. The ps4 dev kits were just for loving about with, no one does any real work here".

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

shrach posted:

no one does any real work here".

You don't say...

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

colonelwest posted:

In America we view Germany as Europe's Florida. There was even a radio show that had would take news headlines and you had to uess i it was from Florida or Germany.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Incitatus posted:

In America we view Germany as Europe's Florida. There was even a radio show that had would take news headlines and you had to uess i it was from Florida or Germany.
Huh, would you mind elaborating it further?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Just read an article in Ars Technica about CIG developing a new roadmap towards releasing a proper roadmap.

Is this real life?

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 31, 2020

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Dante80 posted:

Just read an article in Ars Technica about CIG developing a new roadmap towards releasing a proper roadmap.

Is this real life?

Pledge now

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Dante80 posted:

Is this real life?

This is what you get when the community, and arguably the developer(s), believe their own lies about how development works, and no proper publisher is in place to keep the critical development targets in focus.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Daztek posted:

Pledge now

I pledged more than half a decade ago 45$ for an exploration ship.
What I got was more...much more!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
What the gently caress is a simp?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It’s the new hip form of “cuck” far as I can tell

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It's someone that uses some forum called "Simply Awful"

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Golli posted:

It’s the new hip form of “cuck” far as I can tell

Nope, that's different. Cuck is a person in a relationship whose significant other gets stolen and they are okay with it (for various reasons). Simp is a person who pays to another person to "notice them (senpai)" - typically men paying to camwhores or Patreon sexy cosplayers; their relationship status doesn't play any role in this and what's important is the financial support.

Of course you can combine them and get a simp cuck - usually men who pay money to girls even though they know they have their own boyfriend who supports them with money anyway.

Also I feel a need to add that I dislike both terms, but they are so grown through the internet these days it's kinda hard to avoid them.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Nope, that's different. Cuck is a person in a relationship whose significant other gets stolen and they are okay with it (for various reasons). Simp is a person who pays to another person to "notice them (senpai)" - typically men paying to camwhores or Patreon sexy cosplayers; their relationship status doesn't play any role in this and what's important is the financial support.

Of course you can combine them and get a simp cuck - usually men who pay money to girls even though they know they have their own boyfriend who supports them with money anyway.

Also I feel a need to add that I dislike both terms, but they are so grown through the internet these days it's kinda hard to avoid them.

I defer to your expertise.

I doubt many people who use the term care about the subtleties, it's just the newest trendy term used to replace 'cuck' and 'beta' and in a year or so, there will be a new term.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Pixelate posted:

Always wondered if this one was a bug or a prank

GUN BETWEEN LEGS OF FEMALE CHARACTER

Turns out the game is the prank

crob bless you for finding and sharing these in this thread

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Remember when CIG was showing how they use IK to dynamically place the character feet on slopes and such?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul0Gilv5wvY

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Dante80 posted:

Is this real life?

no the world actually ended in 2012 and everything since has been us trapped in hell

Burns
May 10, 2008

Sankis posted:

no the world actually ended in 2012 and everything since has been us trapped in hell

Thecsimulation glitched. We are all in fact playing star citizen now.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

iron buns posted:

Remember when CIG was showing how they use IK to dynamically place the character feet on slopes and such?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul0Gilv5wvY

When I saw that CIG panel back then at CitCon, all I could think off was this:

CIG: "hey, we know how to use IK dynamically"

iD: "Hold my beer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lO1q8mQrrg

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018
CIG roadmap to roadmap made it to pole position in gameranx channel: "10 WEIRD Gaming Stories of JULY 2020"

https://youtu.be/pbnXIoQXtUY?t=530

(8:50 if timestamp dont work)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It's misspelled form of stimp as in Fourth Stimpire or Stimperor. S(t)imp is someone reposting The Sickening and Heartbreaking Truths of the Fourth Stimpire aka s(t)imping.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
the stimpsons

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

colonelwest posted:

That sucks man, I’m sorry. The Rona has torpedoed a lot of my career plans too. This poo poo won’t end until there’s a widely available vaccine.

Or until Florida mutates an airborne herd immunity.

peter gabriel posted:

Agreed, thanks guys as well.
Sucks rear end because 70% of my business is live event and festivals etc, the corporate work has increased but it's way less fun.
Had some heart breaking convos with venue owners since all this kicked off, man I feel for them

Again, Florida's looking at the mother of all recessions because the majority of our tax revenue is actually tourism and supporting a largely on-the-edge population of support staff.

It's a cluster down here.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Thank you for speaking for all Americans but I can assure you that many of us do, in fact, say that exact thing.

About Germans, or ourselves?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

A sycophant or someone that plays up to a Twitter personality, someone who pays an onlyfans, or talks to someone in the hope of them noticing.

Incitatus posted:

That's wild when Finland exists.

Sorry Finland.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

quote:

Someone who will say anything to please someone, particularly a girl, in the hopes that they will be in good favor with that person.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Simp

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Golli posted:

I defer to your expertise.

I doubt many people who use the term care about the subtleties, it's just the newest trendy term used to replace 'cuck' and 'beta' and in a year or so, there will be a new term.

A year? Twitter cycles are currently measured in days and weeks.

it's one of the reasons it's an interesting information surface, because it's temporal and ephemeral, there's no real contact, context or weighting you can apply. It's a stream of consciousness for the Id of the planet, and one of the reasons that reality appears to be going a bit bonkers.

I loving hate it. It's why I'm all over it. The second the TV started throwing tweets onscreen was the day when in the future you were really going to have to decide between a career doctor and a lady who believes demons cause disease.

It's literally a zombie horde, and the second that people start blanking the thing, the better.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

That ain't it either, nowadays it means someone who does anything to please an "unworthy" woman (like paying for camwhores), because that's seen as being subservient to them bitches. This can be extended to pretty much anything. Being nice to your wife? You simp.

iDubbbz just lost like a billion subscribers for being a simp, because he was ok with his girlfriend opening an onlyfans account.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
:laffo: google autocompletes "idub" to "idubbbz simp"

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Hav posted:

About Germans, or ourselves?

about Germans

but I was kidding anyway

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fox McCloud

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Dwesa posted:

Huh, would you mind elaborating it further?

https://www.thelawman.net/florida-or-germany-quiz/