Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If there's a new 'left' political party, how do we keep out the cranks who are about 80% 'left thinking' re economics, social policy etc, but are anti-mask, pro that new sex demon doctor Trump has appointed, and think vaccines are a secret lizard plot to take over humans with 5G implants in body cells or whatever, and think climate change is a hoax capitalist plot (despite the only people who benefit from denying it are big business).

I recommend a sturdy length of old floorboard with all nails in it

crispix fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Anyone know when there's gonna be another tranche of fix your bike vouchers?

I'm sitting here like

(Why yes i did recently discover this gif and have been dying for an excuse to post it)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/TracyAnnO/status/1289105282870673408

That still doesn't explain what the acronym is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's how you abbreviate Black Hebrew Israelite when you're drunk.

Like it's clear that's what she's going for, but keeps missing.

Or she has strong feelings about Bandar Indera Mahkota, which probably does contain a bunch of antisemites tbf.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

yes, but people gather at Christmas. Now imagine being told you can't

Sounds good to me

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Cerv posted:

Sounds good to me

can't imagine why no-one would want to spend time with you

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Anyone know when there's gonna be another tranche of fix your bike vouchers?

I'm sitting here like

(Why yes i did recently discover this gif and have been dying for an excuse to post it)

I don't think even they have any idea - best thing to do is follow the #fixyourbike hashtag on twitter and when it starts up again you'll see a bunch of posts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In some non-poo poo news, the CPS is finally looking at reversing their earlier terrible opinion that rape and sexual abuse survivors should not be allowed proper therapy while a case is open because (they allege) the therapists could guide answers and taint evidence.

The previous guidance, dating from 2002, advised that complainants in sexual assault cases could attend therapy but should not discuss the crime, which severely impedes outcomes.

It's still in public consultation, but that's a good excuse to give it a nudge.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Got woken up this morning with a call to tell me our offer has been accepted on a house on the staffs/Shropshire border. Looks like I’m gonna get to flee London at last!

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Congratulations! It's the house that fudge built

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Why is Ann Widdecombe?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

In some non-poo poo news, the CPS is finally looking at reversing their earlier terrible opinion that rape and sexual abuse survivors should not be allowed proper therapy while a case is open because (they allege) the therapists could guide answers and taint evidence.

The previous guidance, dating from 2002, advised that complainants in sexual assault cases could attend therapy but should not discuss the crime, which severely impedes outcomes.

It's still in public consultation, but that's a good excuse to give it a nudge.

This is (potentially) cool & good, cheers for posting it.

On a related but less encouraging note, the New Statesman had a recent piece on the CPS apparently changing the way it deals with rape case, with prosecutions falling significantly despite reports to the police more than doubling over the same period

quote:

In 2019, only 3 per cent of rape complaints ended with a suspect being charged – a figure that is expected to drop even lower this year.

The fall has been swift, with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) prosecuting half as many cases in 2019 as they were two years previously: in the year ending March 2017, the CPS prosecuted 3,671 cases, compared with the year ending March 2019, prosecuting just 1,758 cases (a 52 per cent drop).

Police referrals of rape cases to the Crown Prosecution Service have also fallen in this time, by 22.6 per cent.

Despite these trends, the number of rapes reported to police has more than doubled since 2014.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, that's another reason why the therapy advice change is very welcome. If you're forced to keep saying things like "I felt unsafe, but due to the ongoing case I can't discuss the specifics" then you might feel pushed to choose therapy over justice and drop the charges so that you can just open up about it.

With good confidentiality and qualified therapists there's no need for that. That's just one reason among many that the prosecution rate is so low, but it is one reason.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Isomermaid posted:

Congratulations! It's the house that fudge built

So long as it's not a house built of fudge. Living in a confectionery based residence rarely ends well. I've heard stories.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/joshhalliday/status/1289102599996747776?s=21

God this latest set of tossed-off directives is confusing enough that even the people who wrote them can’t get them straight

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
They genuinely don't give a gently caress at the moment as long as people are careless enough, do they.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

@ Guavanaut, is it OK to put a twitter link to the paintings I'm selling in here? Trying to make a bit of cash & 10% of proceedings go to Motor Neurone Disease carers to help my GF's Mum. Thought I'd ask first.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jedit posted:

So long as it's not a house built of fudge. Living in a confectionery based residence rarely ends well. I've heard stories.

:golfclap:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/robalini/status/1289138837537599490

Some weird loving geography happening right now.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Look it's somewhere in the northern half of England. There, somewhere. Who cares.

Now if you're a migrant don't you dare to make that mistake during your government mandated test or it's off with you back where you came from.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Private Speech posted:

Look it's somewhere in the northern half of England. There, somewhere. Who cares.

Now if you're a migrant don't you dare to make that mistake during your government mandated test or it's off with you back where you came from.

Yep, off back to the Dominican Republic. Or Dominica. There somewhere. Who cares.

Consistency is all I ask
Give us this day our daily mask

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Goldskull posted:

@ Guavanaut, is it OK to put a twitter link to the paintings I'm selling in here? Trying to make a bit of cash & 10% of proceedings go to Motor Neurone Disease carers to help my GF's Mum. Thought I'd ask first.
I have no problem with a single link, don't know if anyone else has any objections.

I think anything being bought and sold officially has to go through SA Mart but as long as this thread doesn't become goons.ebay.co.uk then v:shobon:v

OwlFancier posted:

Look they all wear flat caps and huff whippets or something, why would Yorkshiremen care that we put them in Lancashire? Or Cheshire. Whatever.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
get to renew my visa next week so i hope you guys are prepared for some very angry posting

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

thespaceinvader posted:

They genuinely don't give a gently caress at the moment as long as people are careless enough, do they.

confusing the hell out of us so they can blame us simultaneously for rising cases (careless public! your fault!) and businesses going bust for lack of customers (scaredy public! your fault!) is totally part of the strategy

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

Boris on the crushed Ricicles today phew

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

If this sparks off war of the roses 2.0 I’m all here for it

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jedit posted:

Rumours that I have multiple cats, a hunched back and a large oven are totally overstated.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I have no problem with a single link, don't know if anyone else has any objections.

I think anything being bought and sold officially has to go through SA Mart but as long as this thread doesn't become goons.ebay.co.uk then v:shobon:v

Cool.
https://twitter.com/Endless_PaulyT/status/1289142136005431296
There are others on my profile but I will stick to the single link rule, sure people can check it out.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
How the gently caress is the breeze hotter than just being in the sunshine?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/judeinlondon2/status/1289139881520893952

Edit:

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1289162736866226178

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 31, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/durstapologist/status/1289147331334606848?s=21

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet

In other news, I feel I may have discovered a new UK conspiracy, which is that it seems like post is only arriving at my house like once or twice per week, in huge volumes. Like nothing at all for several days, then a mountain of junk + actual mail every third day. Have the RM reduced deliveries, on the sly or otherwise?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet

In other news, I feel I may have discovered a new UK conspiracy, which is that it seems like post is only arriving at my house like once or twice per week, in huge volumes. Like nothing at all for several days, then a mountain of junk + actual mail every third day. Have the RM reduced deliveries, on the sly or otherwise?

Not officially, but posties have been using that trick for years to shorten their rounds, I'm willing to bet as pressure keeps increasing on then it'll get more prevalent.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Perfect Element posted:

Anecdotally I’m seeing exactly the same, south east London. I’ve gone from getting about 1 piece per day to nothing for about 3 days and then 3 pieces or so. No idea where the hold up is - could be at sorting or anywhere in the chain - but it certainly seems like it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Goldskull posted:

Cool.

There are others on my profile but I will stick to the single link rule, sure people can check it out.

You'd have to check with the sa mart mod but I'm pretty sure this is allowed there since you're selling stuff. It's just personal donations that are a bit awkward

Jose fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 31, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jimcaris/status/1289175466494980097

lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Look they all wear flat caps and huff whippets or something,

I knew things were Grim Up North, but huffing dog farts is a level of depravity i hadnt bargained for

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Camrath posted:

Got woken up this morning with a call to tell me our offer has been accepted on a house on the staffs/Shropshire border. Looks like I’m gonna get to flee London at last!

Guess you never will get to play in the Goon D&D Game :ohdear:
(whenever the hell that happens because gently caress going to a pub for 3 hours a week right now, obvs)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

feedmegin posted:

Guess you never will get to play in the Goon D&D Game :ohdear:
(whenever the hell that happens because gently caress going to a pub for 3 hours a week right now, obvs)

Roll20 is a thing though? Though it sucks poo poo with more than like 5 players, but at least you can play in your pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

If this sparks off war of the roses 2.0 I’m all here for it

tbh if Janelle Monáe's right, that's when we come alive