Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://youtu.be/v7Cm15G0NYA

New redesign of 7 Wonders. Maybe I'm just old and fear change, but I kinda prefer the old card design--but the new day/night wonder boards are cool.

E: Leaders, Cities, and Armada are getting reprinted in the new style, Babel is not but since all its components are external to player cards it's still compatible. The reprints of Leaders and Cities include anniversary packs, and seem to also include the four Wonder Pack wonders Abu Simbel is included in the Leaders reprint. Other three wonder pack wonders are MIA. Syracuse is now included in the reprint of Armada rather than being a promo Some Wonder costs and effects have been changed.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So are there any rules changes? Or it's just a reprint with new art?

I don't have any expansions, but I do love whenever I get the opportunity to bring 7W to the table.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Infinitum posted:

So are there any rules changes? Or it's just a reprint with new art?

I don't have any expansions, but I do love whenever I get the opportunity to bring 7W to the table.

Actual rules/gameflow apparently is unchanged, but some cards have had costs or effects tweaked.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Magnetic North posted:

If it's anything like my group, people would just rather have no gaming and watch TV or some poo poo than do gaming online. If they can't socialize in person, they'd rather not socialize at all. As a person who doesn't really consume much normal media and would like to occasionally hear from his friends, that approach is infinitely annoying to me.

Digital implementations just aren't very good on the whole. Whether it's a bespoke app or via tabletop simulator or whatever, I generally prefer no boardgames to struggling along with that

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Mojo Jojo posted:

Digital implementations just aren't very good on the whole. Whether it's a bespoke app or via tabletop simulator or whatever, I generally prefer no boardgames to struggling along with that

What do you dislike about how bga is implemented?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Digital implementations that do bookkeeping at least hit the break even point for me. I don't play the same games with people over and over again, so high-bookkeeping games do not have "habits" formed. You lose some social, but you gain more actual game time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Playing digitally is inherently a lot more fiddly than playing over a physical board, so you need a game implementation that reduces the fiddliness in some other way (like by automating fiddly rules) to make it good.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

7 wonders is bad because at <5 players there are dozens of better games and at 5+ it sucks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's one of my group's most played games, and depending on the night it's 3-5 players. I've only ever gotten a full table of 7 once.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Spikes32 posted:

What do you dislike about how bga is implemented?

There's a goon game of Keyflower going on right now and we've been falling all over ourselves misclicking and seeing who escapes unscathed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Chill la Chill posted:

There's a goon game of Keyflower going on right now and we've been falling all over ourselves misclicking and seeing who escapes unscathed.

:smug:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

jivjov posted:

It's one of my group's most played games, and depending on the night it's 3-5 players. I've only ever gotten a full table of 7 once.

I have on a few occasions, and 2 people in the group suffer from AP :suicide:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

7 wonders is cool and good

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I want to buy The Crew and Concordia, but it'll be at least a month before I can have people over :qq:

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

ketchup vs catsup posted:

7 wonders is bad because at <5 players there are dozens of better games and at 5+ it sucks.

It’s one of the meatiest pure drafting games which makes it hit a sweet spot for a lot of people. It’s not my favorite - I prefer drafting as a mechanic instead of the whole game at that level of complexity - but I see why it’s so popular.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Is there a game that does what 7 Wonders does better? The goal of being a short Eurogame that supports 7 players where you're almost always making decisions yourself is lofty and rare. I don't love the game, but I certainly can't think of anything else that renders it obsolete.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

nrook posted:

Is there a game that does what 7 Wonders does better? The goal of being a short Eurogame that supports 7 players where you're almost always making decisions yourself is lofty and rare. I don't love the game, but I certainly can't think of anything else that renders it obsolete.

Playing 2 separate games of something better is my preferred solution. I don't like having that many people at a single table at once anyway just for logistical reasons and most games, even ones that support 6+ players, are worse with 5+ than 3-4.

Infinitum posted:

I want to buy The Crew and Concordia, but it'll be at least a month before I can have people over :qq:

You should get Concordia it's loving good.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

When we have large large groups we like to play "Welcome to your perfect home" it scales well with almost any number of people. Then split up to play several smaller games.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

nrook posted:

At 7 players there’s almost zero strategy to your ‘choices’ - the game is functionally random. You could play it a lot faster just by dealing everyone’s final tableau to them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

You should get Concordia it's loving good.

I will! Just deciding if I should buy it now, or in a month's time when I might be able to play it :thunk:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

nrook posted:

It’s not really a Eurogame though, it’s drafting with some pseudo Euro mechanics bolted on. IMO Sushi Go Party does it better by removing the fiddly bits and still retains the draft. If you have to have those little fiddly bits than I hear good things about Paper Tales, but I haven’t played it and it only does 5.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Whelp the Crokinole KS pledge manager just went out, and $60 USD shipping to Australia later, it would appear Concordia is an end of month pickup :v:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

nrook posted:

I would argue that Sushi Go Party does what 7 Wonders wants to do, but does it quicker. You lose like 10% of the depth to reduce play time by 50%.

Any game that has simultaneous action that can play 7 would fit. The mechanics that best lend themselves to that are roll and write and drafting. Otherwise, we have...Caverna?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
When you're at 7+ players you're clearly in what I call the party zone and shouldn't attempt to play anything heavier than Decrpyto.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tempura Wizard posted:

When you're at 7+ players you're clearly in what I call the party zone and shouldn't attempt to play anything heavier than Decrpyto.

You're missing out on silvergoose's rad Civilization parties

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tempura Wizard posted:

If you’re at 6-9 players and not considering sidereal confluence you’ve made poor life choices.

Same with 7/9/11 players and masters of commerce / panic on Wall Street.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

I will! Just deciding if I should buy it now, or in a month's time when I might be able to play it :thunk:

It can also be played async on http://www.boiteajeux.net/ if you don't want to wait.

I'd put this in the lfg on the discord but I have no idea if you're there or who you would be. Every day it's like the Tower of Babel thread.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chill la Chill posted:

You're missing out on silvergoose's rad Civilization parties

:bisonyes:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If you’re at 6-9 players and not considering sidereal confluence you’ve made poor life choices.

Same with 7/9/11 players and masters of commerce / panic on Wall Street.
:agreed:

The amount of emotional drain I have with JoCo and sidereal in my group meant that we had to space them out because my group is frequently shouting and our voices are hoarse in the middle of the game.

But that's why we have Chinatown, which is nice but doesn't require as much shouting.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I want the new edition of Sidereal so drat bad. Can't wait to get that baby on the table.

Played Mare Nostrum: Empires again recently. Tremendous design that really captures the "Civ but way shorter" vibe so many games want to do.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

The trading in Mare Nostrum: Empires felt really clever. There's a glut of DoaM games, so I got rid of it, but it was much better than I expected. Especially from the Shadows Over Camelot designer.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I played my first game of Everdell recently and I quite liked how it combined worker placement with 7 Wonders-esque tableau-building. Felt like it added another dimension to the Lords of Waterdeep MO of "place workers to get resources to complete quests".

Then again, these are the only two worker placement games I've played so far (I'm saving the complex ones in my collection for the future), so maybe it's not that cool or noteworthy.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

We used to play Team 7 Wonders with 8 people on a lunch break.

Not a lot of games fill that niche - and playing in Teams made for a lot more interesting decisions.

My only real complaint would be that some of the leaders are pretty swingy; you could get some real "build around" types, while others were pretty marginal.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just finished work today, three weeks of holidays ahead with not much to do besides playing boardgames and keeping social distance. I do have to drive to another city, though, so I have to leave Spirit island behind.

What are some good portable coop games? I already have codenames.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

How do you define portable? Box size, table commitment, player commitment, etc

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Fat Samurai posted:

Just finished work today, three weeks of holidays ahead with not much to do besides playing boardgames and keeping social distance. I do have to drive to another city, though, so I have to leave Spirit island behind.

Some small boxed options are The Shipwreck Arcana, The Mind, The Game, and Hanabi.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Shadow225 posted:

How do you define portable? Box size, table commitment, player commitment, etc

Box size, mostly.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'll second Shipwreck Arcana.
Wok Star 3rd edition has a fairly small box.
If you're willing to play vanilla Codenames, I'd suggest Decrypto and Monikers as two party based games.

There are other options for that box size, but I can't think of any that I would actively suggest playing.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Shipwreck Arcana is great.

If you’re gonna have a decent amount of people to play with, Love Letter, Coup and Medium are fun.

My wife and I have really been enjoying Similo. It’s a quick, portable Mysterium-lite kind of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fat Samurai posted:

I've mentioned Narabi recently. It needs at least three, though, so it might not be perfect for you.